Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Skooma withdraws from society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Mopps
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

I wish more games had the silly random name generator Dwarf Fortress has.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Oh neat, I just noticed there being new body parts. You can stab hands and tongues now.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 18:04

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Has anyone figured out the memory locations for Dwarf Therapist yet?

Double-Neg
Oct 27, 2003

Boo Hoo :(

<3 Magic Hat!

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Upon embarking I noticed a swarm of giant mosquitos. According to the raws, they should only come in groups of one. However, there's like 7 of them. I think Toady hosed up the tags.

According to my Units screen there are about 70 to 80 giant mosquitoes in my area, in fact my first migrant wave was about 60% slaughtered by them. I don't think I'll be getting any help until something fights them off.

The guy who runs Therapist is at least alive but posted that he might not have anything up until the weekend.

E: A blight vapor keeps entering my area, but it only causes a fever in a random limb.

Double-Neg fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 18:11

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

There is a oaken cloth shop sign.
There is writing on the slab, but you cannot read.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So, in world gen the ages seem to advance more readily now. In my fairly standard world's 250 year history, it went through 3 ages of myth, 3 ages of legends, and finally settled on the Age of Heroes.

Edit: Just switched to "The Golden Age!"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I was seeing that a lot. I was generating worlds that were in the twilight age by year 100. I turned up the number of civs and it seemed to help, but then you cycle through ages a lot faster as you saw.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11762544/df_34_01_win.zip Here's the link to a Mayday tileset version, again, I'll leave it up for a couple of days.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like megabeasts get massacred by the civilized peoples more rapidly now. I'd suggest pushing the beasts numbers up fairly high for world gen or picking a very young world.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kenlon posted:

Has anyone figured out the memory locations for Dwarf Therapist yet?

There was one guy in the Bay12 thread, but he gave up after hitting too much inconsistency.

e: from the thread

DwarfEngineer (OP) posted:

I'll be working on DT for 2012 as soon as I get a chance. It's highly likely that a number of the structures and offsets have changed, so I'm not optimistic that this will go quickly. Add on the fact that today is Valentine's day, and we're looking at end of the weekend as the earliest I'll have something.

Sorry there hasn't been much activity lately - I can't promise that I'll get to many features, but I'll do what I can to add support for the new version.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

These humans just love titles. I started in a city and the central castle has dozens of nobles(?) with professions like "Sacred Dusk", "Holy Climax" and "Exalted Humility".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, that's nice: when you slaughter an animal, it now specifically reports it as slaughtering, instead of being struck down as if it were killed in combat.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

What it is is what it is.

Evil areas are really challenging in fortress mode now, at least the terrifying jungle I embarked in is. I've tried starting out from the initial save several times now but can't even get a door or wall section up. Undead are constantly rushing in from the side of the map to replace any that are dealt with. If anything living dies it turns undead. If anything gets part of it cut off that part comes back to life. Its a good spot too, I did manage to dig down to the first cavern layer and I'm right on top of a magma pipe, a ton of magnetite and flux. Saw some galena too. Maybe I'll come back to this spot with 6 hammerdwarfs and one worker and see if I can get something going there later but for now I think I'll start somewhere a bit more hospitable.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The coolest coin:

I got it from a speardwarf who lived in a sewer with twenty (unanimated) skeletons.

AlsoD
Feb 16, 2011

I'll keep.

I've already had my first fortress death! I embarked to a frozen lake, tunneled down to find rock and then built a door separating the ice parts from the rock parts.
Guess which door I forgot to lock when the ice all melted?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I AM THE REASON SHITTY AFN COMMERCIALS EXIST

I was excited for the Mass Effect 3 demo... After seeing a DF release was made today I could care less about space people.

Mr. Showtime
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss

Kennel posted:

The coolest coin:

I got it from a speardwarf who lived in a sewer with twenty (unanimated) skeletons.

I still haven't managed to find my way into a sewer. I dunno if I'm just dumb and can't figure out how to open grates or whether there are other entrances that I just can't find. I even got a cool mission to go into a city's catacombs and couldn't find any way to get into them

Markets are hilarious. Get your *-horse hoof crown-* here! Best price in town!

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I was excited for the Mass Effect 3 demo... After seeing a DF release was made today I could care less about space people.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm really looking forward to having a fortress die even faster than it did last time I tried to play.

Last time I tried to play I unwittingly picked a spot where the dwarfs parked their wagon in front of a dragon.

Count Ignatiev
Sep 20, 2007

So I've been playing the new version and was delighted to read the announcement that a fisherdwarf's corpse had been discovered lifeless, completely drained of blood. The first murder had no witnesses but I set up the justice system. The second murder was witnessed by my militia commander. It was committed by a Fish Dissector; the victim was a fishery worker. I was curious to see what would come next so I accused both cases on Dwarven Children. Then a pet rabbit went missing, and finally a Dwarven Baby was found drained of blood. The crime had incident reports: the same militia commander claimed to had seen the Fish Dissector. The second report was the Fish Dissector accusing a Farmer of the murder. Finally, the third report was made the next day, by a Dwarven Child who found the body. Curious to see what would happen if I convicted a dead person, I convicted a Giant Kea that had died inside a cage. I then looked at the thought profile of the Fish Dissector. He has been ecstastic lately. He was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently. He'd also lost a friend to tragedy recently.

What does the profile an alleged murderer, very likely a vampire look like? This.

Look at the number of places he's been; his unkempt appearance; resentment of authority and fear of rejection. From the looks of it, he's a sociopath.

And this vampire-murderer, what is he doing now? He was just now elected the village mayor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I... I think I'll grab a few extra companions for this one.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

I'm loving the books. 'Could it Be It must Have Been...' looks like a gem along with 'Evil: A Brief History.'

Here's hoping for eventual procedurally generated title chapters or first pages.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cobbled together a little party. It's me, a pikeman, a dwarven lasher, and an elven hammerman. The town's keep had some nice free armor for adventuring with. Stumbled into a bowyer's shop and bought a well-crafted ashen crossbow for a copper whip and a few coins. Looking to grab a better spear and some bolts, then head out to take out a few bandits before going after that legendary goblin vampire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Hell, you could just straight up create a plant that gives you immortality.

Its like a fountain of youth, only more alcoholic!

It'd be awesome if you could create a plant like this but set it so there's literally only one of them in the world.

Then make it your goal in adventurer mode to find it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

While exploring a city I stumbled into one of the markets.

Adventure mode is pretty awesome now.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I stuck an ingested syndrome on dwarven wine and managed to get my dwarves to go hostile. Making them actually attack things instead of running away is harder.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

Count Ignatiev posted:

So I've been playing the new version and was delighted to read the announcement that a fisherdwarf's corpse had been discovered lifeless, completely drained of blood. The first murder had no witnesses but I set up the justice system. The second murder was witnessed by my militia commander. It was committed by a Fish Dissector; the victim was a fishery worker. I was curious to see what would come next so I accused both cases on Dwarven Children. Then a pet rabbit went missing, and finally a Dwarven Baby was found drained of blood. The crime had incident reports: the same militia commander claimed to had seen the Fish Dissector. The second report was the Fish Dissector accusing a Farmer of the murder. Finally, the third report was made the next day, by a Dwarven Child who found the body. Curious to see what would happen if I convicted a dead person, I convicted a Giant Kea that had died inside a cage. I then looked at the thought profile of the Fish Dissector. He has been ecstastic lately. He was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently. He'd also lost a friend to tragedy recently.

What does the profile an alleged murderer, very likely a vampire look like? This.

Look at the number of places he's been; his unkempt appearance; resentment of authority and fear of rejection. From the looks of it, he's a sociopath.

And this vampire-murderer, what is he doing now? He was just now elected the village mayor.

I love that his voice trails off. Very creeper vampire.

I just genned my first world in the new version and it's full of tombs and dark human fortresses and evil lands. I turned the civs and megabeasts up to max on a Medium world and it's still in the Age of Myth. By year 250, though, all my rocs and dragons and collossossossossuses are dead. I've got just a handful of living titans and a civet monster still alive.

There's a cool dwarven lady necromancer in my world who has had 13 children, one of which is Tholtig the Dishonest Emerald of Raptors, her youngest daughter, who apparently murdered and abducted people for decades. Best part:

"In 65, Tholtig decided to become a baby-snatcher, operating out of Wheessins.'"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

LtSmash posted:

I stuck an ingested syndrome on dwarven wine and managed to get my dwarves to go hostile. Making them actually attack things instead of running away is harder.

The LP possibilities for ingested syndromes are limitless...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.

I carefully made a setup for a new fortress in the last version, thinking I'd use the wood/anvil/copper I brought to make picks and such. I forgot that you needed fire-safe stone to make a forge/smelter and all so with no picks or even a way to dig up a clay boulder, I went on til autumn building a wood fort... when I realized that I could just untick copper nuggers from the economic stone screen and build temporary smelters and forges with the ore.

This must be the second time this has happened. Oh, Dwarf Fortress.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I can see it now. "only slade harms him"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

My entire map is covered in purple ooze. The rain never ends. We shall be buried under this purple blight.

Also, world gen for large regions is incredibly slow. I suspect my main world will finish generating in two days.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

My kobolds are still starving to death, but much later (even the ones born much, much later tend to die from starving to death). Which reminds me, how long until we see spot our first:
"Kobokotrurus", female kobold necromancer/vampire/werewolf

You have to be able to read to be a necromancer, right?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Toady really, really, REALLY hosed up world gen somehow. I've been running it for over two hours now and it's just reached year 252. The actual setting the physical stuff down went faster than usual, but the local legends crap is loving well murdering my PC. At this point I'm assuming it's keeping track of every single last bodypart cut off by anyone anywhere ever, including bits of butchered farm animals and slain vermin.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

King Doom posted:

Toady really, really, REALLY hosed up world gen somehow. I've been running it for over two hours now and it's just reached year 252. The actual setting the physical stuff down went faster than usual, but the local legends crap is loving well murdering my PC. At this point I'm assuming it's keeping track of every single last bodypart cut off by anyone anywhere ever, including bits of butchered farm animals and slain vermin.

What size? I genned a medium world to 250 in around 10-15 minutes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I've been genning a large world since this morning and it's proceeding incredible slowly. It went really fast up until about year 200 and from there the pace plummeted. I'm guessing the amount of history being tracked is bogging it down.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

No loving joke with these worldgens. Man, the way mine's been going, it's looking like it simulates the growth of the world in real time.

I just wanna get mutigenic horror rain that causes frogmen to turn undead

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, worldgen is hosed. I am sitting on a stock medium worldgen right now, and it has stalled to a crawl.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

So I rolled up an adventurer, headed out to the local fortress to recruit a few soldiers, with the idea of checking out a nearby tower. As I was leaving, I got jumped by bandits, and they slaughtered my companions. I went back to the fortress and recruited a couple more pincushions, but then the same bandits ambushed me again further down the road. I go back and grab two more spearcatchers and set off once more, only to get attacked by the same gang of bandits.

After they were cut down, I decided to take a different route. Cutting through a few hamlets, I stumble on some nearby tombs, and I go and have a look at one. Inside was this slab. How do I become literate?

edit: never mind, while I was standing there boggling over the funny squiggly marks on the slab, that guy popped out of his coffin and hosed me up right quick.

edit 2: oh god he just raised my corpse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laser Spider fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 19:58

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

Unsurprisingly cities are hanging pretty regularly. It's gotten to the point where I move one space, Dwarf Forteess hangs for five minutes, then finally updates the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Did you do somethin' with your hair?

Found a book called "The Book"

«463 »