Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Three things about worldgen speed:
1) generate a smaller world
2) you don't have to wait until year 250
3) Toady's going to speed it up for the next release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

You can try to gen a smaller world and it goes a lot faster, but I'm having trouble generating smaller worlds with evil regions.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

TildeATH posted:

What size? I genned a medium world to 250 in around 10-15 minutes.

There might be some sort of issue that doesn't affect every world generated. I tried to gen a medium world and it ran fine for a while and then suddenly got super bogged down to where it took an hour to process twenty years of history. It could be that certain types of event or historical figure have weird side effects that lead to really disproportionate CPU time costs, and they build up more in some worlds than others. That or you were just lucky and it cut off before it could slow down.

(The problem with stopping it manually is that keypresses cease to register once it gets slow enough.)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I genned a medium world and it crashed when I tried to talk to someone. Genned a new small world and it finished in <2 minutes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Oh dear, the Law-Giver of my human civilization is a serpent woman vampire with 2749 kills.

Also:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

hepatizon posted:

Three things about worldgen speed:
2) you don't have to wait until year 250

Actually, I left my world to gen about 2 hours ago, and it is at year 492 now, and it will not register me hammering the enter key. So, make sure to pause world gen before it gets to that point.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

Kennel posted:

Oh dear, the Law-Giver of my human civilization is a serpent woman vampire with 2749 kills.

Also:

The woman is a one-eyed snake?

She looks so retro. I thought she was dead. I also thought she was taller.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I've also had worldgen bog down after year 200. A medium world attempt finally stopped (went 5 minutes without changing) at year 262. A small world with default worldgen settings finished without incident in 45 seconds. Those are the only two I've tried, so I don't know if it's world size or something else that's responsible.

Met
Jan 17, 2012

I'm hitting the "crash when talking to someone" bug. It makes Adventure mode unplayable for me.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I'm probably gonna wait on playing until the new LNP comes out. I'm just happy it's been released so they can begin updating the tools. Also this way hopefully some bugs will be ironed out by the time it's ready.

Mad Pills
May 21, 2009

So a were-camel attacked my glacier fortress, and it went directly after a weasel for some reason, what ensued was a battle that lasted like 2 seconds with the camel kicking the weasel in the mouth, exploding the weasel's mouth and sending teeth absolutely everywhere! Those skull and bone tiles are all teeth.

In other news the were-camel turned into a human child when it clashed with my wrestlers and was promptly suplexed into the ground by 15 bloodthirsty dwarves, probably avenging the death of the poor innocent weasel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel posted:

Hah, actually all of the former law-givers were also vampires and all of them are still alive. Time to become a vampire hunter!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Met posted:

I'm hitting the "crash when talking to someone" bug. It makes Adventure mode unplayable for me.

My game isn't crashing when speaking to someone, but when first greeting a person it hangs for four or five seconds or so.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

probably on the side of posting what he wants and just having fun

Kennel posted:

Hah, actually all of the former law-givers were also vampires and all of them are still alive. Time to become a vampire hunter!

Use a whip.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Finally finished world gen, and found an amusing book title:

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

For people porting over any old mods, I've noticed a few undocumented changes: A lot of the cruder words (surprise sex, anus, slut, etc.) have been removed from the language files. Also, the four toed/five toed front foot/rear foot body parts have been renamed with "_REG" at the end.

Upmarket Mango
May 21, 2011

I've got a cure for bitch, Barbara, and you're begging for a taste of it.

I've only tried DF once before about a year ago and didn't really get into it at the time but nevertheless I've remained interested in the game and I'm finally going to give it another shot and hopefully stick with it this time. I only have one question right now: What's the best tileset as far as graphics go? Are there any that make the game fully look like a retro RPG or something? ASCII gives me a headache.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm a huge fan of Phoebus, and it's the one featured in the graphics set portion of the OP. I don't know if it's been updated for this version yet, though. I sorta doubt it since we're still counting the age of this release in hours.

Someone posted a link to an updated mayday, though. That's also a good one.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Is there a way to make the fortress mode view move one tile at a time? When I scroll around it moves ten tiles or so and it's difficult to center on things

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I'm a huge fan of Phoebus, and it's the one featured in the graphics set portion of the OP. I don't know if it's been updated for this version yet, though. I sorta doubt it since we're still counting the age of this release in hours.

I tried the old version of Phoebus last night, and it looked fine, at first. Then exposed underground rocks started looking like berries.
So yeah, hopefully saving someone thinking of trying that the bother. Gonna try the new mayday set when I get home tonight.

Upmarket Mango
May 21, 2011

I've got a cure for bitch, Barbara, and you're begging for a taste of it.

Bad Munki posted:

Alrighty, I'll check that one out. Thanks

Met
Jan 17, 2012

Laser Spider posted:

My game isn't crashing when speaking to someone, but when first greeting a person it hangs for four or five seconds or so.

It's a tracked bug.

I start the conversation, hit enter on "Greet", game immediately crashes.

SynthOrange
May 6, 2007

I feel the pressure,
under more scrutiny
And what I do,
act more stupidly

As a note, world size affects adventurer game speed. Make smaller worlds for faster everything basically.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm guessing that the amount of item calculations increases exponentially with world size.

Z-Neth
Dec 18, 2011

Oh Yeaaah!!

I found a book named Untitled. It's 2 pages long.

scalded schlong
Sep 20, 2003

not a dinosaur posted:

Is there a way to make the fortress mode view move one tile at a time? When I scroll around it moves ten tiles or so and it's difficult to center on things

Have you tried the init file in data/init? I mean I'm no wizard but I'm guessing

code:
Use this to set how fast the game zooms.  The default corresponds to
increasing grid size by 10 units each time you zoom.

[ZOOM_SPEED:10]
might be what you're after. Dunno why it's called "zoom", though, as you can't zoom into anything in this game.

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Sure you can, it uses the mouse wheel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Which is when, I believe, [TEXTURE_PARAM:LINEAR] comes into play.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Synchronizing folders also takes forever, though I'm sure it's related.

Edit: and reclaiming seems to make things crash!

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:11

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

Is it worth actually getting into this release now, or should I wait for a week or so for bugfixes? Any massive game ending bugs?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Commissar posted:

Is it worth actually getting into this release now, or should I wait for a week or so for bugfixes? Any massive game ending bugs?

It seems remarkably stable so far, more so than I expected. Apart from slow worldgens and that adventure mode bug, Dwarf mode seems ok!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Anyone know how to create a necromancer, or vampire, or other such thing in arena mode?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nettle Soup posted:

It seems remarkably stable so far, more so than I expected. Apart from slow worldgens and that adventure mode bug, Dwarf mode seems ok!

Although therapist isn't working yet, so if that's a problem for you (it sorta is for me) you might want to wait until the weekend. Because of that, I've just been toggling back and forth between adventurers and forts I don't want to manage due to the pain of using DF's labor UI

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Okay, so on my second adventurer I made it to the city and found a dungeon under the keep. As I went deeper into the dungeon, I started finding rooms with piles of old clothing and other equipment. I also found a room with a few (dead, thankfully) skeletons sitting around. What happens if I take some of the stuff in the dungeon? Does it piss off the skeletons or perhaps make the townspeople angry?

edit: Grabbed a skeleton and I'm walking out of the dungeon with it. Will report back.

Mad Pills
May 21, 2009

Commissar posted:

I have not found any serious bugs yet, but I have a serious children problem now. My fort has a population of 95, and 32 of them are children, is this the point or is it just a bug? I can see the game getting harder if your fortress is full of defenseless little blobs of parental grief, but right now I just see it becoming really annoying to change all their jobs when they come of age.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Hmm, so my comp is still bangin' away at The Past Planet. I'm thinking of generating a pocket world while this instance tries to finish. Good idea / terrible idea? FYI my computer occasionally makes a woooOOOooo sound like wind through the trees. Its weirdly discordant, and it's never made this sound before, even under extreme load. I'm choosing to believe its some form of curse, rather than a messed up fan or anything like that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Just cut down on the history. 250 years is plenty of detail to kick around with.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mad Pills posted:

I have not found any serious bugs yet, but I have a serious children problem now. My fort has a population of 95, and 32 of them are children, is this the point or is it just a bug? I can see the game getting harder if your fortress is full of defenseless little blobs of parental grief, but right now I just see it becoming really annoying to change all their jobs when they come of age.

Since all the migrants are historical figures now, a lot of them have children, and they bring them with them. I like it, but I'm going to have to work out some sort of crèche room...

Maybe I should make a burrow just for children! Floor it with bright colours and have one parent-dwarf in charge!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

Went into the sewers. Oh lord.

Mutant reptilians with blowguns ambushed me and poisoned me with their darts, I tried to escape up the sewer stairs but the poison made me sluggish and the reptilian chieftain caught up to me and stabbed me with his spear.

Also, I ran into some floor traps but I am not sure what they were. All I know is I was in a lot of pain. So yeah, when you're in sewers make sure to search the area as you move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

FYI my computer occasionally makes a woooOOOooo sound like wind through the trees.

It's your system fans speeding up to reduce your cpu temp a few degrees.

«463 »