Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Iunnrais posted:

Anyone know how to create a necromancer, or vampire, or other such thing in arena mode?

Random idea that might work: Make a material that instantly evaporates but can be used for making clothing or armor of. Give it a vampirism syndrome. Make your test subjects (try to) wear vampirecloth.

If there isn't some better way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

You used to be able to make an arena creature into an undead type by pressing 'u' when creating them, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

babies havin rabies posted:

It's your system fans speeding up to reduce your cpu temp a few degrees.

No way, it has to be the curse of DF. "Fan speed" ok.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

Bad Munki posted:

Although therapist isn't working yet, so if that's a problem for you (it sorta is for me) you might want to wait until the weekend. Because of that, I've just been toggling back and forth between adventurers and forts I don't want to manage due to the pain of using DF's labor UI

Dang, that is kind of a problem for me too. Guess I'll just wait for that to come out. Glad to hear it's not the buggy mess I expected it to be, though!

Mad Pills posted:

I have not found any serious bugs yet, but I have a serious children problem now. My fort has a population of 95, and 32 of them are children, is this the point or is it just a bug? I can see the game getting harder if your fortress is full of defenseless little blobs of parental grief, but right now I just see it becoming really annoying to change all their jobs when they come of age.

Worst comes to worst, put them in their own burrow and use them as bait for zombies, let zombies kill and eat them all, trap the resultant horde of undead body parts and then use it to fight off goblin sieges. Can undead limbs get caught by cage traps?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Went to a town and found an entrance to the sewer, with lots of winding hallways. Eventually I found some olm man skeletons, but nothing of interest until I found a hatch over. Kolbold and human skeletons and loot scattered all around. Interesting.

Looked like it was a bandit den of some sort. I was going to loot and run but a Kolbold stabbed me in the lung.

E: rolled another adventurer, this axeman refuses to join me on my adventure because he's special. He killed TWO giant hamsters.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:53

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Did you do somethin' with your hair?

I embarked in a terrifying biome and there are so many body parts destroying everything. Also my Hammerdorf has risen at least twice I think. I can't tell what's going on because of the eyeball grass movement.

Edit: All my ducks came back to life too!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:57

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011

After reading the first few pages, I think I'm gonna sit on the new version for a week or two, so things like DT and Phoebus can update. Hopefully by then Toady will have fixed the world gen problem?

Plus, I've already got a couple of abandoned fortresses under my belt in my 31.25 world, and I don't really feel like giving it up right now.

riznar
Apr 25, 2008

Can anyone else cut stone at the jewelers? I didn't see that on the new features list but I just cut some round cobaltite cabochons.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Vucar LockGold appears to be a self-obsessed dwarven necromancer.

The first one hopelessly meanders, the second one meanders somewhat and skips around alot, and the third has it's moments of cleverness.

I now leave you with a picture

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Iunnrais posted:

Anyone know how to create a necromancer, or vampire, or other such thing in arena mode?

In vanilla they are randomly generated and not part of the raws so you can't get them in the arena. However Toady included examples in the interaction examples folder you can plop into the raws and play around with. Just drag the file into the objects folder and you can put an effect on a unit when creating it with 'u'. Werewolves don't work right since the example uses a placeholder WEREBEAST instead of the actual creature to turn into.

Interestingly you can make anything into an interaction user. I just had a horse kick a dwarf to death and then reanimate his corpse.

fake edit: Phoebus is updated it of course lacks anything for the new features and it spits a ton of errors about undead into your log but I haven't seen any problems yet.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

riznar posted:

Can anyone else cut stone at the jewelers? I didn't see that on the new features list but I just cut some round cobaltite cabochons.

Yeah, the gemology update was mentioned in the release notes. I like how you can decorate stuff with pretty polished pebbles now, it makes the randomly generated trade goods seem much less like a game of material mad-libs.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Teim posted:

I embarked in a terrifying biome and there are so many body parts destroying everything. Also my Hammerdorf has risen at least twice I think. I can't tell what's going on because of the eyeball grass movement.

Edit: All my ducks came back to life too!

Does stuff you butcher come back to life?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Still generating the same world as earlier, notable events up to the year 278? over four and a half million of them. How many notable events were generated in previous versions? anyone have any idea?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Did you do somethin' with your hair?

AXE COP posted:

I didn't even get that far, everyone got eaten.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

What it is is what it is.

AXE COP posted:

The skin seems to. One of the many undead bits my dwarfs were slaughtered by when I embarked in a terrifying jungle was the skin of a dog that had died and been butchered. Another highlight was my militia captain's foot being cut off by a mantis man hand that was crawling around. Undead giant insects and insect men are nasty, it seemed like their chitin just kept rising over and over.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:28

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

The one adventurer I had that didn't immediately get the poo poo kicked out of him ended up being trapped in a night creature lair because the campfire I made blocked the way out and I couldn't find a way to extinguish it

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

King Doom posted:

Still generating the same world as earlier, notable events up to the year 278? over four and a half million of them. How many notable events were generated in previous versions? anyone have any idea?

I'm generating a large world with maxed standard options on 31.25 right now. It's year 150 and the event counter just broke 126 thousand.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Amused

So I've been trying to generate a large world to play in, but it keeps crashing at various points during world gen. Anyone else having issues like this?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

I have some bipolar necromancer with a great name.

Gagu Odortub isnt quite sure what to think of themself.

Edit: Other great titles include "More Death", a guide concerning death.

Grundma fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:36

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Is there any way to drink water from a river?

edit: Got it, press I, use waterskin on river, eat water.

edit: You are too full

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How are you all finding these books descriptions? I looked in legends and I can't find anything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I found that too short of a history led to no books being written. Like they don't get around to it until a little later on or something.

e: They show up under "Artifacts" in legends mode.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:38

sum
Nov 14, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is position names within civilizations random now? I'm seeing things like the 'sacred berry' and 'high water'.

Mr. Showtime
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss

In case anyone's wondering (like I was), you can enter grates/floor hatches and the like by pressing ctrl-5 while standing on them.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

Got ambushed by a group of bandits and their kennel of dingos while me and my companion were camping out along the road. My companion bites it fairly early into the battle and I end up getting mortally wounded by a Lasher. I manage to crawl away before getting pegged in the gut with a silver bolt by a Crossbowman I couldn't see. With my last dying breath I yank the silver bolt from my gut, heat it in the nearby campfire, and throw it with all my might at the incoming Lasher. He silently falls to the ground next to me with the sizzling silver bolt embedded in his skull. I promptly suffocate to death and accept my seat in Valhalla.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's pretty drat awesome.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009

Am I the only one not really impressed with the feature list considering he spent a year of work on it?

I followed this game since 2D days and I think this time around, I can't even bring myself to try out the new version.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

pixelbaron posted:

Got ambushed by a group of bandits and their kennel of dingos while me and my companion were camping out along the road. My companion bites it fairly early into the battle and I end up getting mortally wounded by a Lasher. I manage to crawl away before getting pegged in the gut with a silver bolt by a Crossbowman I couldn't see. With my last dying breath I yank the silver bolt from my gut, heat it in the nearby campfire, and throw it with all my might at the incoming Lasher. He silently falls to the ground next to me with the sizzling silver bolt embedded in his skull. I promptly suffocate to death and accept my seat in Valhalla.

Dwarfy as gently caress. Also didn't know dingos made it in, someone needs to give them the baby snatcher tag asap.

Oberleutnant
Apr 24, 2009

Yes. This is the moment I've been waiting for.
I will finally learn this loving game, so help me God.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes. This is the moment I've been waiting for.
I will finally learn this loving game, so help me God.

Not even God can help you now!

But we're all willing to help and give advice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In adventurer mode, my sword got lodged in a goblin's lung. How do I yank it free so I can finish killing him?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

Am I the only one not really impressed with the feature list considering he spent a year of work on it?

I followed this game since 2D days and I think this time around, I can't even bring myself to try out the new version.

You're welcome to your opinion, but realize that he basically added magic and just didn't call it that. So, yeah, I'M pretty impressed.

sum
Nov 14, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bad Munki posted:

In adventurer mode, my sword got lodged in a goblin's lung. How do I yank it free so I can finish killing him?

If you move towards him you'll twist around the sword in the wound

e: Jesus, I think Toady put too many bandits on the roads

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So I've been trying to generate a large world to play in, but it keeps crashing at various points during world gen. Anyone else having issues like this?

I tried making a default-sized one with 1050 years. It crashed between "recounting legends" and the menue that lets you save pics, etc. I think having too much "stuff" just makes it unstable after a point.
E: cultures was set to low on that particular crash.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 23:08

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

i poo poo trains posted:

If you move towards him you'll twist around the sword in the wound

e: Jesus, I think Toady put too many bandits on the roads

And if you move away from him you'll try to yank it free from his body.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, everyone. It's not crashing, it's toady being toady. The number of events in world history has increased by about two million per century and the game is keeping track of every last instance of 'urist beardwrangler fought his own severed left big left toenail (left) in the year 12' The first world I've tried to generate has been going for something like eight hours now, I started at about five pm and it's gone eleven now.

Cyborgmatt
Aug 9, 2009

Honk.

In adventure mode how do I twist my weapon that is stuck in an enemy? I know I can pull it out via the inventory menu but I haven't been able to recreate the twisting motion an overlord used against me to turn my spine into a washing machine.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Laser Spider posted:

Okay, so on my second adventurer I made it to the city and found a dungeon under the keep. As I went deeper into the dungeon, I started finding rooms with piles of old clothing and other equipment. I also found a room with a few (dead, thankfully) skeletons sitting around. What happens if I take some of the stuff in the dungeon? Does it piss off the skeletons or perhaps make the townspeople angry?

edit: Grabbed a skeleton and I'm walking out of the dungeon with it. Will report back.

Nothing happened with the skeleton. I left town and started heading down the road a bit, then got attacked and slaughtered by a bandit. Those guys are loving brutal this version.

I then went in legends mode and looked up the former owner of the skeleton I took. Apparently he also got killed by a local bandit. No clue what his skeleton was doing chilling out in the dungeon, but whatever.

Bad Munki posted:

You can use I (that's a capital I) to do a special interaction with an item in your inventory. In this case, you can interact with a weapon stuck in a creature to pull it out.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Cyborgmatt posted:

In adventure mode how do I twist my weapon that is stuck in an enemy? I know I can pull it out via the inventory menu but I haven't been able to recreate the twisting motion an overlord used against me to turn my spine into a washing machine.

Default attack, also known as "Move towards your target".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Where's my Harper's?

Seems like a good day to get stuck back into this.

«463 »