Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's an iron bolt in my right hand I would like to remove.

e: to be clear, it was placed there by a goblin's crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 14, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is there any way to remove items from discovered traps?

Angela Christine
Oct 4, 2008

Laser Spider posted:

Nothing happened with the skeleton. I left town and started heading down the road a bit, then got attacked and slaughtered by a bandit. Those guys are loving brutal this version.

I then went in legends mode and looked up the former owner of the skeleton I took. Apparently he also got killed by a local bandit. No clue what his skeleton was doing chilling out in the dungeon, but whatever.

Maybe it was a burial catacomb, not a dungeon? Congratulations, you're a grave robber.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Your hand? Lucky. Literally every time so far I've had an adventurer in line of sight to a hostile bow or crossbow, that was the end as the first arrow/bolt went straight for the lung. That's how all but one of my adventurers in this version so far have died: ran into a group of bandits that included someone with a ranged weapon. (The other one died after getting cocky and wandering into a bleak hag's lair.)

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm assuming that being too full to drink water is a bug?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Press 'I', select the iron bolt in the list and they pull it out! Tackle the goblin and stab him in the eye with it.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I've got more proof that DF is the best story generator.

I looked up the bandit who killed my last adventurer and apparently she was a dwarf vampire named Rovod Brushedspear. When she was 61, she got married and settled down in a human city, started worshipping a god named Gagu (associated with marriage, fertility, and birth, among other things), then started hunting night creatures a couple of years later. Rovod settled back down after having killed a couple of night creatures and became the ruler of her town in 180. In 187 she became obsessed with her own mortality, and then after her two sons (the only children she had) were killed and devoured by a werepig in 188, Rovod got pissed and profaned Gagu's temple the next year. Gagu retaliated by cursing her with vampirism. She had to flee her town in 195 after people suspected her of murder, and tried to settle in another town as an unsuspecting fishery worker. She joined a gang at some point, and in 199 became the leader of it, and 29 years later she met my last adventurer on the road and killed him.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Showtime 104 posted:

In case anyone's wondering (like I was), you can enter grates/floor hatches and the like by pressing ctrl-5 while standing on them.

This isn't working for me

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

"There are no talking green tigers on Earth."

Tricking a god into cursing you with immortality is pretty smart.

Using said immortality to join a petty group of highwaymen is not so smart.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I probably wouldn't mind the constant deaths so much if it weren't for the fact that it takes a while to roll up a new adventurer. Would be nice if DF had saveable skill/attribute build profiles, much like it has for worldgen and embarking in fortress mode.

sum
Nov 14, 2010

I just wish my goddamn adventurer would just eat and drink automatically.

e: also I wish that there was some way to roll your character with basic armor already. You already magically get food, water, clothes, and arms, why not a copper set of armor?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

God dammit. I just checked my error log and there are apparently a dozen different problems with my custom creatures in this new version. Toady messed with a bunch of tags for no apparent reason. I mean, some thing I can get but why would you remove an eye color? I have to;

-Fix all the goddamn material breath attacks
-Figure out what he used for the new bodyparts
-Fix all the fire breath with new versions, tweak later when tags are explained
-Remove invalid color tokens
-Find replacements for broken syndromes

This is going to take FOREVER to fix. I get that this game is still in alpha and mods breaking should be expected, but some of these changes seem really arbitrary. Ugh

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 00:01

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Ralp

GreenMarine posted:

Tricking a god into cursing you with immortality is pretty smart.

Using said immortality to join a petty group of highwaymen is not so smart.

Can you get hanged? What happens if you can't die?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Bad Munki posted:

Capital 'I' to interact with stuff in your inventory, including stuck-ins; also for stuff like "interact with waterskin by filling it from the brook". Lowercase 'x' to use special abilities or skills, such as butchering dead stuff. Lowercase 'u' to interact with buildings and mechanisms, like raising and lowering the bucket of a well.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

My adventurers title is "The Rough Stalker of Youths".

Welp.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Man adventure mode is way harder than last time I played, my demigod level character seems to get one-shotted by pretty much anyone. Where can you get armour? All the shops sell nothing but cloth, food and bones.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

"There are no talking green tigers on Earth."

So all this work for a new update...can adventurers use buildings or make stuff?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Man adventure mode is way harder than last time I played, my demigod level character seems to get one-shotted by pretty much anyone. Where can you get armour? All the shops sell nothing but cloth, food and bones.

Maybe you can get some in a large city. If you can get to one without getting murdered on the road, that is.

GreenMarine posted:

So all this work for a new update...can adventurers use buildings or make stuff?

You can at least use wells, and you can sharpen rocks and butcher animals since DF2010.
I don't think you can use arbitrary workshops or anything like that, however.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

It says a lot about the way Toady codes things that I'm actually surprised to find that creatures have tongues now.

sum
Nov 14, 2010

So a mummy cursed me. Is there any way of knowing what the curse's effects are? My axe's name turned red in my inventory after I was cursed, but the description didn't have anything unusual.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

i poo poo trains posted:

So a mummy cursed me. Is there any way of knowing what the curse's effects are? My axe's name turned red in my inventory after I was cursed, but the description didn't have anything unusual.

The curse turns the Random Number God against you. Pretty much any time there's a random chance of something, you'll get the worst result.

In other words, it's a death sentence. And there's no counter-curse.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Am I imagining things or are bandits more common +more skilled now? I've run into tonnes of legendary weapon users.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't even see the code. All I see is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh god right when I starting to actually figure out how to start playing this game it updated and now there's all this new wackiness

Looks like I better go brush up on some tutorials. Also:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

i poo poo trains posted:

Have you tried dropping the axe? maybe you can't part with it or something?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

GreenMarine posted:

Nah, adventurers still don't have all the dwarf mode skills or ability to use workshops. Most of what's gone in has focused on adding more stuff to kill, which was always adventure mode's strength what with the insanely detailed combat system.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Sounds like the next 11 months are going to be bug fixes

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

For those of you who can succesfully enter floor grates using ctrl-5, are you able to just enter any floor grate? My character can apparently see into them just fine, considering the fact that I walked over one and some important monster 'introduced' itself to me through it.

Edit: OK, you have to find an area that has a 'Sewer Entrance'. Go into fast travel while in the city streets and hit 'm' to bring up the map and then 'm' again to list shops/houses in the area. Walk around until you find an area with a sewer entrance. Then you have to scout around to find it, it will be a ramp or downward staircase.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 00:56

Triskelli
Sep 26, 2011

JACKPOT

Apparently this guy REALLY hated himself in an unbiased, even-handed manner. Think about it: That's 315 concise pages about how worthless he is.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Bright day
Does it seem to happen just to me or does there seem to be about, where if a book is about a creature, said creature is noted as creator of the book - even while the description names different author?

I have books about giant badger monster, which are created by it, but authored by some human...

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

What do I have to edit to change the pain values of bone chips?

Those looking for armor early on: spam the service option and go kill all the people in lairs. Most of the time it's just a naked guy and assorted pieces of loot. I really cant tell the difference beyween materials that are said to be more effective and those they are supposedly immune to.

General combat: go for the legs. Once they're disabled, keep attacking the torso until a shot in their head opens up. Go for arms if you have a weapon that can sever easily. If you get a message saying that their heart has been torn apart, move on to the next enemy; they are already dead.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

So I copped it on my first adventurer and decided to look up info on my one maceman teammate I recruited from town. He died alongside me in battle, attempting to kill the elven bandit leader Papos Pillartranced.

Turns out that almost twenty years before I recruited him, he left his town to hunt legendary monsters. He spent several years entering battle with the giant dingoes, Alleyhill, Grasppalace and Soulstances, combatting each creature for a good ten years total! Despite defeating these creatures in battle, they always managed to escape.

He settled down for about six years until I led him to his demise. Despite all this, he racked up an impressive 88 kills, including a giant hamster.

Man I wish I could run Legends mode alongside Adventurer mode. It'd be great to find out the past history of the characters you meet in an easy way.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Hey Toady, I don't think grasshoppers work like this. Especially not the whole bit where it grabbed me with its wing, what the heck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

babies havin rabies posted:

This isn't working for me

Try ALT rather than CTRL. I know ALT is use for hopping in to rivers or off of sheer cliffs etc

Laser Spider posted:

I probably wouldn't mind the constant deaths so much if it weren't for the fact that it takes a while to roll up a new adventurer. Would be nice if DF had saveable skill/attribute build profiles, much like it has for worldgen and embarking in fortress mode.

Use macros, I suppose

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Gladi posted:

Bright day
Does it seem to happen just to me or does there seem to be about, where if a book is about a creature, said creature is noted as creator of the book - even while the description names different author?

I have books about giant badger monster, which are created by it, but authored by some human...

I believe Toady once said that pen names and writer personae would be part of the book stuff, so you're probably seeing that monster's pen name.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darval posted:

Sounds like the next 11 months are going to be bug fixes

On the subject of bug fixes, I just spent the last few hours fixing my mod.It actually didn't take as long as I thought beucase I had an epiphany halfway through and realized how easy it was to fix some of the issues. So I've finished a new release of my diverse creatures mod. Changes from last version include;

-Fixed broken body parts
-Removed invalid color tokens
-Gave creature new version of fire breath
-Updated all breath attacks to function properly with the new emission system
-Various other minor tweaks and ages

So this update doesn't actually add any more creatures since the last one. It's main purpose is just making my mod compatible with the new version. Everything should work fine now. Once I figure out what all the new raws do I'll be doing a lot more tweaking.

Download it here.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I managed to get my dwarves fighting each other with [CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED:START:0:END:1500] on the plump helmets raws. Gonna look into mutating next.

Internet Kraken posted:

It says a lot about the way Toady codes things that I'm actually surprised to find that creatures have tongues now.
He added cats licking themselves clean and they can't very well lick without a tongue now can they?

quote:

Man I wish I could run Legends mode alongside Adventurer mode. It'd be great to find out the past history of the characters you meet in an easy way.
Copy the world folder and run 2 instances of DF?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The hardest part of moving on is letting go

What causes the greet bug? I don't have it in my short history world so my theory is something along the lines of it crashing when trying to access the character through the huge history database of 250 years.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

I just can't seem to survive to the first or second migrate wave in Haunted/Terrifying biomes anymore. Any embark suggestions?

Triskelli
Sep 26, 2011

JACKPOT

Just killed my first vampire, who had killed 1050 people. During the fight, his IMMENSE collection of bracelets, rings, amulets made from human, elf, dwarf, and goblin bits exploded off of him. Best part is that this person was the local lawgiver, so all the soldiers immediately turned on the vampire as soon as I called his bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Geekkake posted:

I just can't seem to survive to the first or second migrate wave in Haunted/Terrifying biomes anymore. Any embark suggestions?

Well you'd have to be more specific about what is killing you. If it is monsters, then I'd say embark with a better equipped militia. War animals can be very helpful, either serving as powerful allies or cheap meat shields.

«463 »