Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

Well I guess your people are hosed then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

busb!

Every town i walk into in adventurer mode seems to spontaneously go mad and start killing each other. What is going on.

Zereth
Jul 8, 2003

We still can't build down into water, can we. Or down off cliffs or the like.

Well, time to see if I can found a fort on top of a tomb!

EDIT: drat. I can't.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sloane posted:

Well I guess your people are hosed then.

Wow, that sounds like it could be a great quest if it was more specific. Having to hunt down some obscure creature, extract a substance from it, and then weaponize it in order to kill a major enemy could be really neat. Of course, something that vague is just impossible.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I love the missions that you get from townsfolk to kill creatures of the night. They take on naked base racial forms during the day (Human, elf, dwarf) and live in little hollows, so you just trot out in broad daylight and shank them with hardly any effort even if you're warned that they can't be harmed unless you use specific weapons.

Since I've never attacked them at night I can't help but think that they're just madmen who left town and live in a little ditch, occasionally running over to scream at the townsfolk. Then you just waltz in, covered in armour, and stab the everloving poo poo out of them before returning home to the jubilation of the inhabitants. Such is Dwarf Fortress

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Zereth posted:

[...]Or down off cliffs or the like.

He added the ability to build stairs from above when the caverns went in.

Songbearer posted:

I love the missions that you get from townsfolk to kill creatures of the night. They take on naked base racial forms during the day (Human, elf, dwarf) and live in little hollows, so you just trot out in broad daylight and shank them with hardly any effort even if you're warned that they can't be harmed unless you use specific weapons.

Since I've never attacked them at night I can't help but think that they're just madmen who left town and live in a little ditch, occasionally running over to scream at the townsfolk. Then you just waltz in, covered in armour, and stab the everloving poo poo out of them before returning home to the jubilation of the inhabitants. Such is Dwarf Fortress

I took the material immunity advice to heart, and decided to try attacking the were-guy with my copper knife instead of my silver longsword. A naked dwarf punched me in the face until I died.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

So amidst hearing all you guys settling down in terrifying, haunted, and miscellaneously evil biomes I decided to pick joyous wilds. This is what I see upon embarking.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

How do you get into the sewers? I've found so called "Sewer Access" locations in town, which appear to correspond to these floor grate things (looks like #) but I can't figure out how to descend into the things.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Can your adventurer become a vampire?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Blackray Jack posted:

So amidst hearing all you guys settling down in terrifying, haunted, and miscellaneously evil biomes I decided to pick joyous wilds. This is what I see upon embarking.

I didn't even know what that was until I goggled it. It is this.

This is what you're up against.
Seems fitting with Joyous wilds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh my god yes. You can get creatures to transform into other creature via syndromes. Some very quick testing got me a spider that turns dwarves into toads upon biting them. However, trying to examine the toad crashes the game, as I haven't set up the syndrome properly. Still trying to figure that part out. However, once I do the possibilities here are immense. Just imagine creatures that can mutate and morph your soldiers

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Star Guarded posted:

Can your adventurer become a vampire?

According to Toady's dev log, yes. Just drink a vampire's blood.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

According to Toady's dev log, yes. Just drink a vampire's blood.
That is beautiful. I can't wait to play this version.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Darval posted:

I didn't even know what that was until I goggled it. It is this.

This is what you're up against.
Seems fitting with Joyous wilds.

Except these are humanoid versions of them. Like Panda-men or any other animal-human crosses you come across like Moose-men.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Blueberry Muffin Man bites Urist!
Urist turns into a blueberry muffin!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are magical weapons in the game yet? Given all the crazy poo poo that legendary creatures can do like flesh-rotting miasma and so on, it'd be awesome to come across a sword that caused people to transmute into ooze or whatever.

Zereth
Jul 8, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

He added the ability to build stairs from above when the caverns went in.
That doesn't really help when I'm trying to build down into a lake.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Quornes posted:

Urist McMuffin cancels dig: Too delicious.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Apocadall posted:

Except these are humanoid versions of them. Like Panda-men or any other animal-human crosses you come across like Moose-men.

I know. Was just showing the cute bird they're crossed with.

Songbearer posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are magical weapons in the game yet? Given all the crazy poo poo that legendary creatures can do like flesh-rotting miasma and so on, it'd be awesome to come across a sword that caused people to transmute into ooze or whatever.

Nope not yet

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's been a long time since I've played DF, I think I last played sometime during 0.31. I'm tempted to pick this up but I'm having too much fun with the Tribes: Ascend Beta. Though I'm definitely noticing a distinct trends so far about vampires being lawgivers in this version from everyone's stories.

Blackray Jack posted:

Darval posted:

I forget, are peach-faced lovebirds loud birds? Because if that was a colony of macaw people the noise would probably be deafening.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

Apocadall posted:

Urist McMuffin cancels dig: Too delicious.

Time to make a delicious Muffin fortress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Quornes posted:

There needs to be a plump helmet man equivalent of this. Every cursed dwarf would just eat/try to brew themselves.

EDIT: As soon as I figure out exactly how transformations work I'm doing this.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 02:06

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Commissar posted:

Time to make a delicious Muffin fortress.

Add muffins as animals, and if possible, make their meat edible raw

e: ^^^^^^^^ or something like that, exactly!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

I'm just waiting for modders to release great stuff with the new system. Hoping they use some of the sponsor animal special abilities to do this, like the squid ink cloud or cat head bumps.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

Darval posted:

Add muffins as animals, and if possible, make their meat edible raw

Babies: Cupcakes
Children: Muffins
Adults: Cakes

Turn your fortress into a living bakery.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Quornes posted:

Oh god... Dwarves eating plump helmets turning into plump helmets. Which other dwarves eat, etc. Fortress ending with the few remaining dwarves dying of starvation surrounded by food they can't eat.

This has so much promise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Quornes posted:

I'm just waiting for modders to release great stuff with the new system. Hoping they use some of the sponsor animal special abilities to do this, like the squid ink cloud or cat head bumps.

Thing about the new emission system is that it actually is very similar to the old one. I only needed to make minor changes for my old emissions to work with this new version. However, Toady appears to have added more syndromes to the game with different effects. Combine that with the new way emissions are described and you can make some really crazy stuff. You could also make passable "magic" now.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

"There are no talking green tigers on Earth."

The next let's play is going to be legendary.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you'd have to be more specific about what is killing you. If it is monsters, then I'd say embark with a better equipped militia. War animals can be very helpful, either serving as powerful allies or cheap meat shields.

Undeads. Lots of 'em. If I lend my resources toward my militia, I can't seem to get everything dug and built before something horrible happens, but if I scale back on the military, I get ripped apart.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenMarine posted:

The next let's play is going to be legendary.

Or a complete and utter mess. But I suppose still legendary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Can someone tell me that trick to make the hidden raws visible? I get the feeling that a lot of this werebeast stuff is procedurally generated, and the raws for that are always hidden. Trying to figure out how it works but without examples it's really drat hard.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

Iunnrais posted:

How do you get into the sewers? I've found so called "Sewer Access" locations in town, which appear to correspond to these floor grate things (looks like #) but I can't figure out how to descend into the things.

As far as I can tell the sewer grates can't be entered. You have to hunt around the area and find an actual access point, which is marked as a normal stairway ">" or whatever.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

I embarked in a haunted desert and everything everyone has been saying about haunted zones in the new version is entirely true. The expedition leader was killed by an undead sea lamprey that we quickly stomped out and the hurried digging of a shelter was constantly interrupted by an acrid rain.

And then the expedition leader came back.

This is bad, very very bad. I realize you can still turtle up in this version but haunted zones are not pleasant places to go. Besides the killing, everyone is miserable due to the foul rain, the enforced militarization, the loss of friends and the sudden re-introduction to friends that are not so friendly.

I tried out adventure mode and it crashed while I was traveling...

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

You want to fight like wolves? Let's fight like wolves.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Tortoise monster.... Gen-Bu?!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

busb posted:

Every town i walk into in adventurer mode seems to spontaneously go mad and start killing each other. What is going on.

Uhhh... Dwarf Fortress, I think.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

Quornes posted:

Cat head bumps that turn anything they bump into into another cat. Make them hostile to everything and treat it like a zombie apocalypse.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone tell me that trick to make the hidden raws visible? I get the feeling that a lot of this werebeast stuff is procedurally generated, and the raws for that are always hidden. Trying to figure out how it works but without examples it's really drat hard.

You have to use dfworldtinker but its not updated (or posted about in ages). The example ones are all we have for the moment I think. Or beg zilpin to update it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

My adventure game slowed to a screeching halt fighting a vampire because the vampire lost an arm and pages upon pages of bone bracelets fell to the ground.

edit: The vampire had 7,603 kills. This is on a pocket world.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 02:31

«463 »