Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

???

Three-Phase posted:

That sounds like a great idea.

It sounds confusing as hell, also very thread-cluttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

I am not sure why it would be confusing as hell and like I said you could use the private game forums to post about the turns and only allow the people who are playing to post. I was just throwing out a idea I thought would be cool.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone with a homestuck avatar would be capable of following it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..

I have a newbie question if someone doesn't mind elaborating:

My fisherdwarves keep fishing out of the same barren waterhole/swamp and when I try to assign a fishing zone to get them out of that spot, I can't for the life of me get the fishing zone to hi-light.

What am I doing wrong here? All the bodies of water are about this size near my fort. Oh god I have so many fisherdwarves, so many fishing out of a ~4x3 body of water staring at each other for months and I'm positive my fish cleaner has never seen a fish.

Angela Christine
Oct 4, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I have a newbie question if someone doesn't mind elaborating:

My fisherdwarves keep fishing out of the same barren waterhole/swamp and when I try to assign a fishing zone to get them out of that spot, I can't for the life of me get the fishing zone to hi-light.

What am I doing wrong here? All the bodies of water are about this size near my fort. Oh god I have so many fisherdwarves, so many fishing out of a ~4x3 body of water staring at each other for months and I'm positive my fish cleaner has never seen a fish.

I think a fishing zone has to include at least one square of land and one square of water, at least that is the way I've always done it. They stand on the land and stick their beards in the water.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm not sure the zone needs to actually include the water, it just counts the tiles adjacent to it. So a 1-tile zone next to a pond will count as a fishing zone. I think.

Umph
Apr 25, 2008

Why do migrants come past the unit limit? I've had three waves now past my 30 limit and I atom smash them but I'm at 58 now and there's no end in sight. It's not a big wave that comes before the limit, it's lots of them coming after it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Umph posted:

Why do migrants come past the unit limit? I've had three waves now past my 30 limit and I atom smash them but I'm at 58 now and there's no end in sight. It's not a big wave that comes before the limit, it's lots of them coming after it.

I believe the first two waves are unavoidable. After that, if your fort's doing well and you're under the limit, you'll get a giant goddamned wave. It should be your last one, though.

Also, who wants to live with only 30 dwarves? What kind of weird, isolationist militia compound bullshit are you pulling?

willus
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Umph posted:

It checks when they leave, and it takes them a while to arrive, so the last wave to come could have left when you were on as high as 29, regardless of how many we're already on the way.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Is it normal for intruders to attack ghosts? One of my dwarves died somehow the year prior, and I'm lazy, so his ghost was hanging around outside the main entrance harmlessly. Until a goblin kidnapper shows up and somehow gets in a skuffle. The ghost isn't doing much, apparently trying to wrestle the goblin, but the kidnapper is hacking off ghostly bits. The ghost just lost his head.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna.

New release is up!

Toady One posted:

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Major bug fixes
(*) stopped powered rollers from pushing every track cart everywhere
(*) fixed lye/milk bucket storage jobs
(*) stopped them from storing assigned cart that is on a valid trackless stop
(*) allowed them to store unassigned cart that is on a track

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) updated some screens for higher dimensions (if you enlarge in windowed mode for instance)
(*) wrestles/shared items don't persist when cart moves

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That aside, he's slowing down. Does that mean he's gone all I GOTS ME AN IDEA again?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

scamtank posted:

That aside, he's slowing down. Does that mean he's gone all I GOTS ME AN IDEA again?

It could be that he's running out of bugs to fix with minecarts. For several months now, though, he's sort of settled into a basic schedule where he makes some big new thing, fixes bugs related to the big new thing, fixes old bugs for a little while, then starts making another big new thing.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a way to stop dwarves from having babies?
I used the Lazy Newb Pack's Init editor to lower the child cap to 10, but I'm now at 16 babies, 4 children, and I'm still getting occasional births. 20% of my fort's already-too-high population are under 12 years old!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

IIRC that stops new babies from being conceived, but already pregnant dwarves and pregnant immigrants will still have children.

I recommend a bridge.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

In the time since I posted that, I've had 3 more babies, plus 1 set of triplets, for a total of 22 babies. It's only the fort's third year.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time. I know who you are.

You are destiny.

Well you have a simple choice then: The Hunger Caves; 22 enters, 1 gets out. See how far a forgotten beast can punt a baby.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

In the time since I posted that, I've had 3 more babies, plus 1 set of triplets, for a total of 22 babies. It's only the fort's third year.

I think it was 4 or 5 releases ago the baby boom was a real problem. People were getting 3-4 adult migrants and each had 3-4 kids in tow. I found the easiest way to deal with the kids was to make a nursery burrow with its own public bedroom, dining room, food stockpile and furniture stockpile. You just need to keep a eye on them for moods. This would keep them from kidnappers with the downside of having no skills available when they become adults.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

NiknudStunod posted:

I think it was 4 or 5 releases ago the baby boom was a real problem. People were getting 3-4 adult migrants and each had 3-4 kids in tow. I found the easiest way to deal with the kids was to make a nursery burrow with its own public bedroom, dining room, food stockpile and furniture stockpile. You just need to keep a eye on them for moods. This would keep them from kidnappers with the downside of having no skills available when they become adults.

I still think we should push toady for a daycare type designation to keep doctors trained up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

What does your d_init.txt actually say about the baby cap? The line that has the [BABY_CHILD_CAP] tag.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Well you have a simple choice then: The Hunger Caves; 22 enters, 1 gets out. See how far a forgotten beast can punt a baby.

Bwahaha, now that's a true dwarven solution.
And it gets them training military skills early!

Radmick
Oct 23, 2010

Stylistic Suck

The problem with kids this day and age is they're too entitled. Every time a baby grows up it demands things like shoes and pants. Why, back in my day we wore nothing but endless layers of grime and blood, with a dress if we were lucky.

No but seriously the kids keep going berserk because they don't have clothes and people are getting a bit upset with Urist McGaurdcaptain slaughtering Urist McTinytim. Are there raws I can change to make them happy little nudists until I get a textile industry active? I'm looking at twenty five babies growing up in the next season, and none of them clothed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

That was supposed to have been fixed somewhere after .03 or so, but the bug tracker shows that it still happens to some people, others being all works4me (me included).

The clothing behavior is handled in entity_default.txt, but those settings are pretty much only applied during worldgen. You're running the latest version, right?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I made a thing!

Markus' Misc Mod

Phoebus version
ASCII version

It's a compilation of random bugfixing/rebalance modifications, with the focus to make the vanilla game better but still keep it vanilla. I use this for my games, but I may as well share it for others to use. Might be a good base for the upcoming LP.

The main parts are Vox's combat mod (rebalances weapons and the pain system), Ironworks (changes the manufacture processes of iron and steel, there are actually several steel types), some changes from the Modest Mod and some random modifications here and there.

Ironworks is the only part that's not a bugfix/rebalance but actually changes how the game works. But I think it's a very good mod that adds some detail and flavour to a very important aspect of the game: steel making!

Here's my readme/changelist:

code:

================
 MODIFIED FILES
================

c_variation_default.txt 
	Reduced frequency of animal people (ModestMod)
creature_birds.txt
creature_birds_new.txt
creature_desert_new.txt
creature_domestic.txt
creature_large_mountain.txt
creature_large_riverlake.txt
creature_large_temperate.txt
creature_large_tropical.txt
creature_large_tundra.txt
creature_next_underground.txt
creature_riverlakepool_new.txt
	Reduced clutch size for egg-laying animals to prevent birdsplosions and egg inflation (ModestMod)
	Grazers now require less food, making the system a bit less insane (ModestMod)
creature_small_ocean.txt
	Mussels and oysters now actually produce pearls (ModestMod)
creature_standard.txt
	Again, egg and grazing changes (ModestMod)
	Added [TRAPAVOID] tags to many intelligent creatures and (semi)megabeasts. Basically, you can only trap animals and trainables now.
	Made ice wolves and beak dogs trainable because why the hell not
	Doubled dwarves' skill gain rates for learning and leadership skills, so training demonstrations stop being useless (ModestMod)
	Dragons grow up faster (dwarf size within a year, ten times that within two) (ModestMod)
creature_subterranean.txt
creature_temperate_new.txt
creature_tropical_new.txt
	Again, egg and grazing changes (ModestMod)
entity_default.txt.
	Added all the Ironworks reactions to the races
	Dwarves, elves and goblin live in cities now, so that they show in adventurer mode. Will change back to original sites once they can be visited.
	Gave elves and humans diplomats, gave humans guild reps, so you can make trade requests (ModestMod)
inorganic_metal
	Changed attributes of iron to reflect pure, ie. unworked iron (IronWorks mod)
inorganic_stone_layer.txt
	Changed obsidian values so that obsidian swords are actually sharp again instead of blunt. They now cut skin very well but won't cut through armor.
inorganic_stone_mineral
	Changed some values of pure metal veins to make them worth less that the metal they create
item_ammo
item_armor
item_gloves
item_helm
item_pants
item_shield
item_shoes
item_weapon
	Combat rebalancing (Vox mod)
item_trapcomp.txt
	Weakened serrated disks a little so they don't cut as deeply (ModestMod)
material_template_default.txt
	Chitin now works as shells for the purposes of armour
	Scales are tannable, work like leather
	Gave feathers PEARL and ITEMS_SOFT, so you can use them as if they were pearls (ModestMod)
plant_standard
	Plants take much longer to grow, but underground plants grow in any season 
	Seeds and alcohol can no longer be cooked
	Some more sources of oil
reaction_smelter
	Ironworks mod (iron/steel changes + changed metal ratios in brass/bronze)
tissue_template_default
	Pain rebalancing (Vox mod)
	Scales and chitin are thicker (Vox mod)
	Hooves, nails, claws, and talons heal (slowly) now, so broken nails won't be lethal. (ModestMod)
	Hooves are also settable and splintable (ModestMod)

================
   NEW FILES
================

body_pearl.txt
building_metalworking
inorganic_metal_ironworks.txt
reaction_adventurer_basic.txt		Adds a few basic adventurer reactions for making crafts (ModestMod)
reaction_ironworks.txt
tissue_template_pearl.txt

markus_cz fucked around with this message at May 21, 2012 around 21:30

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Radmick posted:

The problem with kids this day and age is they're too entitled. Every time a baby grows up it demands things like shoes and pants. Why, back in my day we wore nothing but endless layers of grime and blood, with a dress if we were lucky.

No but seriously the kids keep going berserk because they don't have clothes and people are getting a bit upset with Urist McGaurdcaptain slaughtering Urist McTinytim. Are there raws I can change to make them happy little nudists until I get a textile industry active? I'm looking at twenty five babies growing up in the next season, and none of them clothed.

It is easier to just purchase clothes from a caravan then it is to set up a textile industry. Not that its hard to set up the industry I just don't really find a need for it until much later into the game.

Met
Jan 17, 2012

NiknudStunod posted:

If having too many children was a problem, why were you trying to keep them from snatchers?

My "daycare" would be an open clearing on the surface.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Whoa, look at this mess.

Fullscreen just got an edge.

e: the world map!

scamtank fucked around with this message at May 21, 2012 around 15:36

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Met posted:

If having too many children was a problem, why were you trying to keep them from snatchers?

because in the end keeping children safe was easier then dealing with tantrum spirals. It allowed me to focus on something more interesting then a atom baby smasher.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Met posted:

We should be able to sell babies to the caravans.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Kennel posted:

We should be able to sell babies to the caravans.

Couldn't you do that with some inventive cage trapping? Dwarves trigger cage traps when they get knocked unconscious - dwarves get knocked unconscious by long falls or cave-ins. I suppose a retracting bridge would work?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

scamtank posted:

Whoa, look at this mess.

Fullscreen just got an edge.

Has the trade screen been updated to support big screens as well? Ever since support for resizable screens was implemented, the tiny size of the trade screen always stood out to me as something that could really use the extra space.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No idea. I've only scratched the new version so far and the implementation looks pretty inconsistent right now. I'm trying to finish up the beekeeping changes before I take a plunge in fortressitude. (I gave the workshop its own look!)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whether it has or not, that's awesome. It's a start, and I'm happy with even just the embark and stocks windows being updated. Oh and the menu on the right being full size. That's killer.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

How hard would it be to reverse-engineer this to use the default ASCII tileset? This mod looks absolutely great but custom tilesets scare and confuse me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Elth posted:

How hard would it be to reverse-engineer this to use the default ASCII tileset? This mod looks absolutely great but custom tilesets scare and confuse me.

Not that hard, just long and arduous. Most of the [CREATURE_TILE] entries for animals and such are changed by graphics packs when they need to point to a custom pixel art table instead of the ordinary ASCII one. It's just a lot easier to say "use this with Phoebus, end of story" than to deal with the troubleshooting aftermath.

e: that said, I could give it a go. That package is tempting enough.

scamtank fucked around with this message at May 21, 2012 around 18:16

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Elth posted:

Scamtank is right, sorry, but it would be too much to do. I did the mod for myself, and I'm not that much invested in maintaining an ASCII version. I'd love to have separate Phoebus/Ironhand/ACII versions but it's too much of a hassle.

If you want to change it back to ASCII yourself, it should be very easy, just time consuming. But I'd imagine you could do it in an our or less. Files you'd need to modify are:
- inorganic_metal
- inorganic_stone_mineral
- plant_standard.txt
- and all the creature_something.txt files which is a freaking lot!

Each plant, stone and creature has a "display tile" defined. Phoebus has changed these to fit his tileset - if you use his raws with ASCII, you'd get weird symbols for walls and plants (like spiders in walls etc.) It's not unplayable, just annoying. So... you need to get some sort of text editor to compare files (I use Notepad++), compare my versions to Toady's original versions and then revert the tags [DISPLAY_TILE] and other display settings back to the original. As I've said: easy, just time consuming.

EDIT: Actually, depending on the file, it might actually be easier to take Toady's original and then to redo my modification in it, not the other way around.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at May 21, 2012 around 18:43

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Ironhand tileset is out for 34.10 http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6307

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

"Butt Bounce?"
"Butt Bounce, kupo."

I realized today you can request that the dwarven caravan brings you a giant cave spider.

How long was this possible? This whole time I've been doing it the hard way!

Shukaro
Jun 21, 2011

What do you mean stocks in ancients are down?!

Hey, in case you guys haven't checked this out, I just updated my Mouse Fortress utility. There's been a ton of changes and bugfixes since my last post, so check it out!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102563.0

https://github.com/Shukaro/MouseFortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010

scamtank posted:

Is it just me or did Dwarf Fortress just try and generate Europe from scratch?

«463 »