Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
But the Manchus even during their own dynasty got assimilated into Han culture. The language was scarcely used even in the palace by the fall of Puyi. The Qing dynasty was decidedly Chinese in the sense to which Han is often equated. Certainly as much as Cantonese or Min people, who traditionally referred to themselves as Tang more than Han (hence western Chinatowns being called 唐人街 or Tang Street)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It is funny how at the same time you get media portrayals of Southern Ming generals resisting the Manchus in the final days of their dynasty as super heroic last stands against foreign invaders.

The Chinese narratives don't add up well, do they?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
People in Hong Kong are aware of what the Apple Daily tells them. Not much more. It's like the Fox News of the SAR.

Often there is not much more detail than "the Communists are bad" and "look at this idiot mainlander doing something rude and/or gross."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Officially, the government of the Republic of China, once synonymous with the Kuomintang but no longer, claims everything that once was Qing China and the Republic of China. That means they actually claim MORE than the CCP. Because it includes all of Mongolia and even Tuva, which is today a Russian republic. Of course, they haven't pressed any of those claims in like a billion years.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've surprised lots of Chinese people by telling them Russians are actually one of the 56 Chinese ethnic groups. That in turn surprised me, because I thought there was a song or something so everybody knew all of them.

In the past I have claimed to be a Chinese-born ethnic Russian to freak people out. I have an extremely obvious foreign accent in Chinese, but that doesn't lead them to question my story. In my experience, Han people will try to speak English to Uyghurs because they don't expect them to speak Chinese at all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think people in most places treat 'foreigners' like that. I remember when I was studying in Beijing, we all had Chinese roommates. My western classmates consistently thought of them as children. We're all university students over 20, but one of our more motherly western classmates would chastise us for mentioning any 'adult' topics like sex or drugs because the Chinese are so naive and really don't know about this kind of stuff.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

Bloodnose, what's the religious climate like in Hong Kong?

Pretty significant because almost every school in town is religiously affiliated. Christians have a tremendous amount of money and power. The Anglican diocese runs the fanciest schools in the territory. Also most people believe that Catholics aren't Christians. I assume this is a linguistic issue because of 基督教 versus 天主教. There are also Taoist and Buddhist organizations that run schools, but they're not as noisy as the evangelicals.

Islam has a presence in the sizable Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities here, with some few ethnic Chinese Muslims mixed in. There are three Chabad Houses, one Reform temple and one Modern Orthodox temple for the local Jews. The Jewish community here goes back to major Baghdadi Jewish families that came east with the British Empire. Especially the Kadoorie family, which owns China Light and Power (CLP Group) and the Peninsula Hotels, among other things.

And of course we've got Falun Youknowwhat blasting loudspeakers in crowded areas.

In other Hong Kong news, another anti-Mainlander bout may be brewing again. After a couple hundred grey-market goods traders were arrested in Sheung Shui a few weeks ago (those are people who buy a ton of poo poo in Hong Kong, carry it over the border for 'personal use' tax free and sell it in Shenzhen), they've now moved their base of operations to Tai Po Market. We'll see how that goes.

I was lying in bed with my girlfriend last night, a Hong Kong local. We were both playing with our phones as we often do. She suddenly gets a Whatsapp from her sister that's a warning to look out for child thieves in crowded pedestrian areas of Hong Kong. It's obviously a forward. But anyway, it goes on to explain that the children are exploited by mainlanders who have whole organizations of these child pickpockets, and get away with it because they're children. If they're caught, according to the e-mail, the mainland boss pretends to be a parent and apologizes that their child is too naughty.

Anyway, she reads that and we turn off our phones to get ready to sleep. But she lies awake, staring at the ceiling and just starts talking. Then she lets go with this whole crazy person speech that I will paraphrase: "I really hate mainlanders. I hate them so much. Every time I turn on the news, it's always something about how dirty they are, how rude they are, how bad they are. And now more and more of them are coming to Hong Kong. And not just the rich ones, the poorer, dirtier, ruder ones are coming more and more too. It makes me want to go outside and start killing."

I sort of laughed it off and placated her a bit. But my feeling was definitely something like :stare:

Now I'm definitely not worried about this five-foot-nothing, not-quite-100-pound girl becoming a serial killer. But this has to say something about the media climate here. Too much Apple Daily.

Shagga posted:

I wonder if it is really because both the Chinese and the White people regard each other as naive and child-like Others who must be spoken to like innocent babies.

Yes exactly this. That is what I was saying earlier.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oceanbound posted:

Also the majority (literally over 50%) of Muslims living here are actually domestic workers from Indonesia.

Oops, that one's my bad. I, like everyone in Hong Kong, forgot about domestic workers. I don't see so many of them by the Kowloon Masjid, which I until last week lived near. I think that one is mostly Pakistani/Bangladeshi.

But I think you might not be too clear on how people view Catholics. They're viewed in a similar light to Mormons. Yeah, they worship Jesus and stuff, but they're not 基督教. And that Cult of Mary (or swap in magic underwear or whatever for Mormons) stuff is just creepy.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

GuestBob posted:

While we are on this topic: is the break between the Catholic Church in China and the Church of Rome based on birth control or nationalism? I honestly have no idea, but I always assumed that it was the former since Chinese Muslims get to go on the Haj and all.

It's more China than Rome. The CCP is uncomfortable with Catholics reporting back to a foreign government i.e. the Holy See and the Pope. Americans used to worry about the same thing. JFK had to swear up and down that he would put the needs of the US before the Vatican and wouldn't listen to the Pope. The birth control stuff then in turn pisses off the Holy See. Hence the Vatican is one of the few 'countries' (lol) that still recognizes the RoC over the PRC.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can I start a 'Hong Kong is racist as gently caress' argument? Because this westernized part of China packed full of liberal values shamelessly keeps southeast Asians in something pretty close to slavery. I wanna get uppity about them because I forgot about Indonesian Muslims in my post about Hong Kong religion.

The most fun thing is how the middle class freaks out like it's an attack on them whenever people try to give rights to southeast Asian domestic workers. See the attempts to include them in the minimum wage scheme, or attempts to stop excluding them from the seven year permanent residency (which would give them normal people rights) eligibility. Things like "treating Filipinas and Indonesians like people is an unfair burden on working Chinese!" :qq:

My girlfriend's grandmother just fired her Indonesian domestic worker because she suspected her of stealing things. She probably was. The nearby pawn shop has signage in English and a huge portion of their customer base is suspiciously southeast Asian. But I'd probably steal things too if I was paid 4k HKD to work 24/6.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey let's bring up racism again.

It does seem a bit racist to imply that Japanese people have a national predisposition toward militarism.

And very racist to imply they have a predisposition toward being violent rapist war criminals.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
By the way, China only has 63 years of history as of October 1st. I dunno where they keep pulling this 5000 thing from.

edit: Or maybe only 36 years since the Cultural Revolution was supposed to sort of reset the history thing even.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I often like to compare Jewish and Chinese culture and I could make an argument for Jewish history being as long, special and awesome as Chinese. But of course we can say that actually rabbinical Judaism in its modern form only goes back less than two thousand years. Much in the way that Chinese culture in its modern form has a much shorter history. It all depends on how you mark it.

Kreplach and Chinese dumplings ARE eerily similar however.

Edit: I wrote this post before seeing the Dry Bones poo poo. So this is not at all an answer to your question

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I also follow the Political Cartoons thread and it seems like Yaakov has gone to one university in Sichuan and made a speech or something. I don't think anyone has been impacted at all by his project.

The fact is that China doesn't really have antisemitism. Asia in general lacks the history of Jewish relations that the west and middle east have, in which firm opinions about Jewish people and Israel have been formed.

Upon learning I'm Jewish, mainland Chinese have generally said: "Oh, you're so smart! Like Einstein!" I'm not even exaggerating that is the overwhelming majority of responses, word for word. In Hong Kong, it's usually "Oh yeah, Jews are really good at business, right?"

There's a lot of stereotyping. In general, it seems like some Asian people read the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and, instead of getting upset about a global conspiracy, thought "Wow, these guys have got their poo poo together." And then that idea has been spread throughout the Sinosphere.

Israel as a country is not well understood. Though I've heard some interesting things about Israel-Taiwan relations that go back to when Taiwan was a dictatorship and South Africa was under apartheid, they had some kind of block of pariah countries going on. I certainly think Yaakov's concerns about China being 'poisoned' by antisemitism are overblown. But that's no surprise to anyone who's familiar with Dry Bones.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes I think the Kami is an issue here that hasn't been properly addressed.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here's an interesting article comparing modern-day China to the European renaissance. In particular, they focus on the renewed interest in classics. There are some good points, but I don't know if I would call it a renaissance, exactly.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
From the same newspaper, Southern Weekly is going back to work though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
He will go work for the Apple Daily.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What the hell happened here?

SCMP posted:

A Hong Kong man has been charged with smuggling sensitive military lasers stolen from American army bases back into the United States.

It is not clear how Andy Leung Kwok-kuen, 38, got hold of the lasers, which pinpoint a target when attached to a firearm, because they are manufactured and sold under exclusive contracts to the US military or other law enforcement agencies.

Maybe it's just the word 'military lasers' that makes this sound so ridiculous, but who would he even sell this stuff to? The description makes it sound like laser sights, but there's this bit about how "This technology is so sensitive that, if in the wrong hands, it can pose a threat to our national security" that makes it sound like a bigger deal.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
More animal cruelty. :smith:

SCMP posted:

“I don’t want to be a crocodile in China,” said a netizen .

BUT! :unsmith:

SCMP posted:

the park denied any crocodiles had been killed, claiming it's a false statement made by an overworked staffer.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Baby formula is ridiculously expensive in China. That's all the reason you need to have Chinese people buying out all the formula in a store. (And it can very easily reach the point of export without a license, a point that Western expats in China flirt with almost as much as Chinese expats in the West.) Chinese people routinely go, "everything is so much cheaper in America!" which makes Westerners' head spin but for some goods it's true. It's especially true for luxury goods.

Are you sure? How much is a tin of baby formula? I thought it was about melamine scares and a general idea of 'quality.'

SCMP posted:

[Mead Johnson Nutrition] moved to meet mainland demand last year by opening a factory in Guangdong.

"The quality of our product in China is exactly the same as in Hong Kong," Urbain said.

"What is different is that the packaging is in simplified Chinese characters on the mainland." He said Hong Kong would continue to receive its supply from the Netherlands.

Still, mainland parents prefer the Hong Kong packaging, making it popular with parallel traders, who buy tins of formula in Hong Kong and then sell them across the border, avoiding the payment of import taxes.

Are the taxes on formula that significant? I have asked Chinese friends why they pay so loving much for American luxury clothes, even when they're making like 4000 RMB a month. The answer is always a nebulous 'quality,' either in English or Chinese. "The quality is much higher."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Hong Kong Subcommittee of the Guangdong CPPCC has an answer to the city's distaste for things mainland: "Y'all just jelly."

It's pretty disgusting stuff.

SCMP posted:

Hong Kong members of Guangdong's provincial advisory body were slammed as ignorant and unfit for their jobs yesterday after they were seen on television saying Hongkongers were ungrateful to the Communist Party and jealous of wealthy mainlanders.

"You scold the government for being weak every day. You scold the Communist Party every day. You scold China every day," one delegate, Li Hong, said of Hong Kong people. "If you didn't have the Communist Party, didn't have China, you wouldn't even have water."

"You in Hong Kong have so much democracy - what have you done? If the door was shut, without mainland compatriots spending money, what would Hong Kong have? What economic source would you have?"

Ng, who moved from the mainland to Hong Kong in 1979, said local people were "green-eyed and disappointed" about "well-off compatriots on the mainland".

"Our shops on Canton Road, so many well-known brands, who buys there? Most Hongkongers only go shopping at Luohu [Commercial] Centre [in Shenzhen]."

Hong Kongers in the mainland government really are the worst. And the latest news is that they now include Stephen Chow. He just became the worst.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those of you tolling the death of Hong Kong as a major business center are not entirely correct. Shanghai isn't in competition in the same market as Hong Kong, because doing business there means relying on a broken legal system. Singapore is the real competition for Hong Kong, because it's another common law jurisdiction in the Sinosphere with extremely business-friendly policies.

Chinese cities won't be able to compete with Hong Kong and Singapore until the Chinese legal system is dependable and corruption is down to internationally acceptable levels. And we all know that's gonna take a while.

Just yesterday, the Chief Justice of Hong Kong reaffirmed the importance of keeping the common law system after 2047 (the minimum amount of time called for by the Basic Law).

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 26, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've got lots of Hong Kong political bitching today.

Let's start with parallel traders. They're on my mind because I went to dinner in Sheung Shui on Saturday night and I have to go there again after work. First off, why are they called parallel traders? What's the parallel part? For the uninitiated, parallel traders are people who buy a whole bunch of poo poo in Hong Kong, usually baby formula or Yakult, then take it across the border on hand carts to sell in Shenzhen, avoiding import taxes and getting a healthy profit. Since Sheung Shui is right at the border with Shenzhen, it's the center of this poo poo.

As a result, the Sheung Shui MTR station is so packed with people (mostly mainlanders, but supposedly a good number of Hong Kongers have gotten into this business too) hauling huge bulky carts of poo poo that it inconveniences everyone. There are signs all over the station reminding people not to take bulky carts on escalators or hit people with them and even one big rear end sign right at the turnstile saying PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE WHAT THE gently caress PEOPLE.

Here are some articles pertaining to the tensions caused by the boom in parallel trading. Baby formula is the really hot button issue right now. Especially with Chinese New Year coming up, the traders have really stepped up their game in buying things and they have cleaned out the more popular brands of formula, making it hard for mothers who need it to get it. What is left is getting sold at premium prices and, according to some sources, only available to people who seem 'mainlandy' (i.e. Mandarin-speaking), but I can't imagine why shops would discriminate if locals are willing to pay the higher price.

An even more sinister thing is the South China Morning Post's ACTION NEWS INVESTIGATION TEAM discovered a secret warehouse where the parallel traders are stockpiling baby formula and other things. So they're not even buying them and trading them immediately, they're even hoarding it. This has pissed people off even more. The government was supposedly cracking down on this stuff, but from what I saw on Saturday, nothing has actually changed. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the Sheung Shui MTR station tonight either.

Now moving on to housing misery. This editorial by some guy named Andy Xie is pretty awesome. It succinctly sums up all the problems of Hong Kong's economy in a cozy 900 words.

Some highlights:

Andy Xie posted:

Hong Kong's high prices today average about one month's salary per square foot, five times as high as the price in other financial centres like London, New York, Singapore and Tokyo. In these places, high prices are limited to areas frequented by financial types. Most local residents have access to affordable housing away from the centre. In Singapore, locals live in government-built housing. In Hong Kong, local people, foreign bankers and investment immigrants are subject to the same price

Andy Xie posted:

Hong Kong's laissez-faire economy is a myth, played up by libertarian think tanks like the Heritage Foundation that name Hong Kong the freest or the second-freest economy in the world. The foundation knows little about the world and praises city economies like Hong Kong to embarrass the US government.

Andy Xie posted:

Hong Kong's big businesses and the government have colluded to maximise their income in fixing supply. The cramped housing conditions and high prices are a consequence of this political dynamic. When a monopoly controls housing, the resulting equilibrium is low supply and high prices.

Andy Xie posted:

Unfortunately, Hong Kong's premium over mainland China has rapidly diminished since the latter opened up to the world and joined the World Trade Organisation.

Between 1984 and 1997, per capita income rose by 8.7 per cent per annum on the mainland, and by 12 per cent in Hong Kong. But, between 1997 and 2012, the figures were 15.2 per cent for the mainland and 2.6 per cent for Hong Kong.

Andy Xie posted:

In the long term, the government's plan to reclaim land from the sea is a good one, though it is not ambitious enough. Hong Kong should aim to increase residential housing space by 100 sq ft per person in a decade. If that is done, Hong Kong could maintain stability. The alternative is the downfall of Hong Kong's plutocracy, not a desirable outcome for anyone who benefits from high property prices.
Just read the whole damned article already. I gotta be honest, the SCMP is owned by a scummy Malaysian billionaire who is notoriously pro-Beijing. Most of the editorials in the newspaper are pretty awful and the ones in the Property section are particularly bullish and slimy and make me want to claw out my eyes (PRICES WILL GO UP FOREVER ... THIS DEVELOPMENT IS 15% LOWER THAN MARKET BUY BUY BUY), so this editorial is a breath of fresh air.

Let's segue that breath of fresh air about property prices as evidence of Hong Kong's broken political system into this extremely lovely editorial by famous Beijing shill and ethnic Sindhi, Hong Kong-born, U.S. citizen Michael Chugani. I have provided the alternate title "Property is the only thing that matters, gently caress democracy".

Michael Chugani posted:

I am beginning to feel the so-called pan-democrats are more to blame than Leung for Hong Kong's dismal housing situation. Leung has been in office for only six months. He inherited the shameful housing legacy of past administrations. But the pan-democrats have played the role of opposition for years. They squandered all those years on the single issue of democracy at the expense of all other issues.

Michael Chugani posted:

As an opposition, they have failed the people. Their obsession with democracy meant past administrations never felt real pressure to fix other pressing issues. Pressure, ironically, came from mainland leaders who ordered our leaders to deal with deep-rooted problems.
He never bothers to consider what impact democracy might have on livelihood issues. Funny.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
From what I understand, China will have a massive advantage in manufacturing for decades to come because their infrastructure is so developed. It's way beyond what any economy of its development level should have even now. Anyone who has been on roads in India, Africa or Southeast Asia and compares them to Chinese ones will see what I mean.

We can all joke about lol Chinese drivers and bad traffic, but the highway and rail systems in China are crazy good. Companies that depends on just-in-time manufacturing logistics models need that, and cheaper markets can't provide it yet.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's illegal on the Chinese side though, because it evades customs duties. It's smuggling.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mead Johnson has a factory in Guangdong, but mainlanders don't trust poo poo from their own country, so they pay a premium for the stuff from Hong Kong. If I were them, I'd just use the same packaging in the mainland factory, since apparently it's the traditional characters they trust.

Also the major companies DO have a subscription service for Hong Kongers. I guess they don't get enough subscribers or I dunno, but it doesn't stop people from getting pissed that the stores all get bought up by parallel traders

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
As much as any issue of convenience, the demand for baby formula is driven by horrifically misleading advertising that portrays milk powder as almost literally magical. If I wasn't on my phone, I'd dig up some commercials for you guys to watch.

The brands have names like EyeQ and PhD and advertise that if your kid drinks it, he'll be smart. Then of course the converse of this is that if he doesn't get it, he'll fall behind.

These commercials are everywhere. On buses, in shops, on the train, and most of all on primetime TVB dramas. These companies spend HUGE money on advertising, not only for these spots, but also for actors featuring the likes of Cantopop superstar Jacky Cheung.

It's hosed up and violates all sorts of intentional and WHO conventions relating to breastfeeding. Also the commercials are annoying as hell.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh I forgot the other sinister part. Formula companies giving free samples in the maternity wards. Public hospitals finally stopped this and breastfeeding rates have increased significantly as a result. But who knows what goes on at the private hospitals. And company reps still hang out outside public ones to offer samples to people leaving the ward.

Apparently even using the sample for a day or two can significantly impact a woman's milk production, meaning she may have no choice but to go on using the formula since she no longer makes enough for the baby to feed on breastmilk alone.

Also those ads are loving annoying.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
JUST LOOK AT THIS poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23JDRSdZhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_yJ2Urc7Q

This one is the worst I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnn_VHrxBHU

At the end of it, the kid says "I LOVE MOM!" Like it even suggests your kid will love you more with this milk poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCs3QcSD0k

LOOK AT THIS loving gently caress IN A LAB COAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjSVNdaZxxc

You know what? This one might be the worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7khKskON4

It's just so horrible. I tried to find it with English subs, but no luck. It's so bad I'll translate it line by line.

"Little boy, which one of these is bigger?"
"The bear! Bears are much bigger than bees!"
"So smart!
Then a whole bunch of bullshit about how this is so important to the kid's development and check out all this SCIENCE. Until finally
Interviewer: (in Cantonese) So smart!
Primary School Principal: (in English) Excellent!
Secondary School Principal: (in Mandarin) Very good!

It's so painfully manipulative and disingenuous.

I AM BLOODNOSE AND I AM MAD ABOUT BABY FORMULA

So here's something weird to cleanse the palate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOGjeWRNmIc

Oh right, when I went looking for some English subs for these ads, I found this about the company that makes the EyeQ brand:

China Beverage News posted:

HONG KONG – Healthcare giant Abbott Nutrition has moved its Hong Kong media account reportedly worth US$26 million from PHD to ZenithOptimedia following a pitch held in November last year.

ZenithOptimedia has already started work on the account covering Abbott’s prenatal (milk powder for mothers-to-be) and adult milk powder for boosting calcium. PHD Hong Kong previously held the business in a two-year contract.

According to Admango, adspend for Abbott Laboratories’ milk powder industry only in 2011 was US$26 million (HK$205 million). Research also found that many mainlanders travelled to Hong Kong to buy locally-made milk powder or other international products following the spate of food safety scandals in China.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 29, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was just watching this little documentary while I ate lunch today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuTnHSRQZYY

It's another short doco about Chinese people with too much money, yeah whatever. But what caught my attention was that one of the crazy racecar driver dudes made his fortune importing European baby formula to China. He claims to make 25 million Euros a year off that. Now I don't know what a Euro is worth, but I'm guessing it's around a jillion HKD so dayum. Now I harbor no ill will against the formula industry and I haven't seen any of his ads to know if they're obnoxious, so I'll control my anger for now.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Two years ago, a Hong Kong tour group got shot up in Manila during a hostage situation on a bus (pictured). It was sad.

But guess where I'm going for my Chinese New Year vacation? Top tier trips to the Philippines are cheap as hell, even during the peakest of the peak season. Carry on, blacklist!

Efb

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Imperialist Dog posted:

Because media reports that street-making GBS threads is a Hong Kong myth made up to embarrass mainlanders/be chauvinistic. Sadly the pics are taken to prove that it happens and we're not making this poo poo up.

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/one-country-two-systems-not-lately/

Well it does happen. I saw it in a park the second day after I first arrived in China, I went to a park in Beijing. And anybody who has been to China has noticed that babies there don't have diapers, just holes in their pants to facilitate street-making GBS threads.

I think it's more the idea that adults regularly practice it that is apocryphal.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wait, guys, wait! There's still more to talk about on this baby formula thing.

Someone has gone so far as to start a White House petition about it.

WhiteHouse.gov posted:

Baby Hunger Outbreak in Hong Kong, International Aid Requested
Local parents in Hong Kong can hardly buy baby formula milk powder in drugstores and supermarkets, as smugglers from mainland China storm to this tiny city to buy milk powder and resell for huge profits in China. Many retailers stockpiled milk powder and are reluctant to sell to local parents as the shops can sell their stocks in big cartons to mainland smuggler for huge profits. Countries like Germany, the Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand exercise rationed sale to tourist buyers from China for milk powder but the Hong Kong government simply frame the situation as a matter of free trade and refuse to exercise law which is already there to stop cross-border smuggling. We request for international support and assistance as babies in Hong Kong will face malnutrition very soon. Emptyin

I have no idea what they expect Obama to do :confused:

edit: I'm signing this poo poo because I really want to see the response.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 31, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hong Kong's birth rate is actually lower than Japan's, once you take out babies born to two non-permanent resident parents, who tend not to stay in the territory.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Because families live in shoeboxes here, make an average of 19k a month and each kid costs approximately nine gajillion dollars in baby formula, pre pre school, pre school, kindergarten admissions counseling, kindergarten interview tutoring, kindergarten tuition, then fourteen years of exam prep in the form of six zillion hours of tutoring.

Also to earn that 19k a month, both parents have to work at least 50 hours a week, six days a week.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
For those of you following along at home, that 19k average monthly household income in HK is in HKD and works out to about 2500 USD.

This is in a city where a 400 square foot home in an inconvenient neighborhood in the suburbs costs half a million dollars. Welcome to cyberpunk nightmare world.

Some light reading on the topic.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

french lies posted:

God that was annoying to translate. Sorry for any mistakes.

That's because it's colloquial Cantonese (and written with typical Hong Kongers' character substitution). You got the main point but missed some details:

french lies posted:

Everyone pay attention!!!!! Even HK-bought milk powder can be fake! Today my sister opened a can of milk powder! She discovered it contained less powder than usual! She talked to me after that (more like told me nitpicky)! I compared it to another freshly opened can and it really contained much less! And then I (we, actually. 哋 is the Cantonese plural particle, like Mandarin 們) tried tasting it! And it really was fake! Really sweet! The milk taste was barely there! Really weak! And the powder was white! (white(er). "D" is the lazy replacement character for Cantonese 啲, which is a comparative particle)! (You missed a sentence here, which I would translate as 'bitches be crazy' or something equally angry about the perverse insanity of the situation) Deadly! Next time I'm going to the drugstore to get it (haha this sentence actually means exactly the opposite, 吾 is a stand in for 唔 which is the Cantonese equivalent of 不, it actually means "I don't dare buy from the drug store again")! My mom knows how to order good formula (comparative particle D again, "Mom will order better ones")! Really scary

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kongers eat out more than any other place in the world, I believe. Right up at the top at least if not number one. Space makes cooking difficult. Also there are so many cheap, great places to eat so it is more doable than in the west. Best meal I ever had was at a Hong Kong barbecue joint and cost about $5 US.

I'm not familiar with those estates but I think it's more likely that they have a communal kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey what's the title of this thread? Can we get back to what really matters?

In baby formula news...

The Hong Kong government set up this hotline that allows customers to order tins of powder directly from the suppliers. What's the result? An estimated $100,000 HKD in extra revenues in the first four days. The government (i.e. taxpayer) is paying for this hotline service and Mead Johnson, Friso and the gang are getting big money by cutting out the retail step. Pretty corrupt!

It's also pretty clear that there is now going to be a two tin or 1.8kg limit on baby formula being taken out of Hong Kong. Apparently a lot of the parallel traders (i.e. smugglers) think it's already in force and trading has been cut back significantly. The MTR has also instituted a very strict baggage policy, significantly lowering the weight of goods you're allowed to carry. Apparently it's so strict that it has impeded people just going to the airport or Shenzhen for vacation. I'm guessing it's ladies packing too many clothes; AM I RIGHT, MEN?

In Macau news, check this shady poo poo out. Some political group is calling for the demolition of a WWII-era Portuguese pillbox because "Conserving it would obviously hurt the feelings of hundreds of thousands of people who love [China] as well as Macau". It's a harsh memory of the horrible Portuguese oppression. The colonizers so oppressive and evil they tried to give Macau back in the 70s and Mao wouldn't take it.

It just so happens there is a luxury apartment complex under construction right nearby that might have something to do with this. Honestly, I never gave too much thought to the real estate industry when I was living in the US. Since coming to Asia, it really seems like the shadiest, most evil business there is. Like I have a more favorable view of the Triads than land developers.