Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Farecoal posted:

Oh. And why would they use that instead of just using traditional characters?

Because the Chinese language is awful to learn and everyone knows it even the Chinese. It's so awful they designed a system in which words in Chinese are now represented by letters in a foreign alphabet system. This foreign alphabet system is used to teach Chinese kids their own language and to interface with keyboards and thus use the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Interesting article in the NYTimes today. They talk about the brewing animosities between China and the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/world/asia/chinese-insider-offers-rare-glimpse-of-us-china-frictions.html?hp

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VideoTapir posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wines

NY Times's Beijing bureau is run by Horse Semen Pie Guy.

I don't believe that one journalist thew a pie filled with horse semen at another journalist. In the old days they just wrote nasty articles about one another and left it at that.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The upper levels of government are serious about fighting corruption? what?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What is going on with Bo Xilai? It looks like they are calling the Heywood death a murder and his wife is a suspect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/world/asia/detained-party-official-facing-ouster-from-politburo.html?hp

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel bad for Wan LiJun. He went to the US consulate and spilled his guts about god knows what and then was kicked out into the waiting arms of the Chinese police. We didn't (and obviously couldn't) offer him asylum.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Does a safe list even matter? People will intentionally fake labels and restaurants will probably buy the cheapest Cadmium rice on sale.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

zero alpha posted:

Will Germany do anything to encourage German birth rate, or just fill in the gap with immigrants? Or will they just be happy to be a small, "old" country with a good standard of living? It seems Russia is having a hard time bringing the population up even with intense government efforts.

They can't be an old country with a good standard of living because there won't be enough active workers in the economy to pay for all of the needs of the retired. Germany will fill in the gaps with immigrants. Japan looks just xenophobic to be seriously screwed though.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
More on the Bo Xilai case; apparently he wiretapped Hu Jintao. In other news, China sounds like a surveillance hell hole. And being a Chinese politician sounds like the most stressful job.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/world/asia/bo-xilai-said-to-have-spied-on-top-china-officials.html?hp

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pfirti86 posted:

He's reportedly not seeking asylum, but just wants a position to negotiate with the Chinese government for humane treatment of him and his family. Of course, fat chance of that. This is just another embarrassment for the government already dealing with the Bo incident, and there's no way they'd let him live a 'normal' life like he's demanding.

Is it even possible for him to be given asylum at this point? I mean how would they get him out of the country, in a gigantic diplomatic pouch?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm confused. Chen waited until he was out of the US embassy to declare that he wanted to seek asylum to the US? Why would he do that?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

It sounds like his family was threatened by the Chinese government so he felt pressured to leave the embassy, but then surprised (?) when US officials immediately abandoned him right afterwards.

What did he expect, that the US officials would follow him all around China? He had to have realized that once he was out of the embassy, the US can't help him.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
He had to have known that his family was in jeopardy even if somebody did not explicitly spell it out for him.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If Chen is unhappy with the outcome, then I can only say that he had a poorly thought out plan. Before he even set foot into the US embassy he had to have known that if he was given asylum to America, he would have to say goodbye to his family forever, and they might have been harmed.

His best outcome would have been what happened here: he is back in China with his family with reassurances that his family would be unharmed and be relocated.

I mean what are his other options now?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Meeting with random people from the country that show up at your doorstep for asylum or want to give you information or whatever is basically part of what an embassy does. It's also pretty much accepted that you post a bunch of intelligence officers at the embassy under diplomatic cover.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How is he even giving out all these interviews if he is supposedly under duress and fearing for his own safety right now?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Back injury when swimming and boxun doesn't count as actual news. Here's a tip, if the NED is throwing cash at something, it's pretty much bullshit.

So why don't they just come out and say "He hurt his back swimming"?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

chird posted:

Why don't they just go "oh piff, he's fine he hurt his back doing the butterfly, what a champ" then, instead of blocking his name and not responding to inevitable questions.

Still don't think it's anything earth-shattering because the rest of the happy brigade are seemingly going about their usual business unperturbed. Could be a mild heart attack as one 'close source' said to some paper.

Fun story to (try to) follow.

I wouldn't miss a meeting with Hillary Clinton or PM of Denmark if I hurt my back. Unless it's a catastrophic injury like I fell off a diving board and broke my back.

I like the heart attack angle. They are probably not certain about his pace of recovery, or if he'll be strong enough to resume his duties at all. So they are not saying anything about it hoping he'll just recover quickly and make it back.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It's time for laowai governments, organizers, and in this case restaurant owners to start using the China line when these diplomats show up to hector them: "gross interference" in our "internal affairs," "hurting the feelings of .3 billion American people," free speech is a "core issue," etc.

I wonder if people realize that there is something loss in translation when they say "hurting the feelings of the Chinese people". I read that line so often, but I keep thinking "Oh does China want it's Mom to kiss the boo boo and make it go away?"

Do Chinese people probably think the same way when our leaders go off talking about "freedom"? I wonder.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

hitension posted:

That's an old blog and seems to fit the other China thread here more than this one, but I'll say the same thing I said to my friend.
Very simply put, it is baffling to me how someone could live in China for 15+ years and take such a long time to realize that they're never going to be "one of them".
I realized that after about a week or two of living in China.
You don't have to "become Chinese" to have fun in China. There's a certain joy in showing people a different worldview/background that they might not get otherwise. And two people can be friends while still acknowledging that they have lots of differences.
He whines that China is promoting nationalism. So -- go to China, learn the language, talk with people and show them how nice and friendly foreigners are. If all the foreigners leave China (or live in China without learning the language, are blatant womanizers, etc) then where else are Chinese people supposed to get their impressions? Blame the government not the people...

I think what happened is that after so many years he finally seriously considered living there and raising a family there full time. Like that is his now his home country. Probably didn't think about it too much before then or didn't notice it as much.

What he says does have some truth to it. America, despite our ingrained racism is much more open to welcoming outsiders to be a "true" member of the country than many other countries. China, and actually Japan and Korea will never accept a foreigner no matter how many years they live there or probably even their kids, despite being born there.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Magna Kaser posted:

Jesus, anyone else following this anti-Japanese stuff on weibo? Major riots in Qingdao, Xian and Changsha today by the looks of it. Cars blown up, shops destroyed and looted and riot police out en masse...

Imagine if some idiot posted a rabidly anti Chinese video with poor production values onto Youtube?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

So what happened to him? Did he get kidnapped and then return? No explanation as to why he missed all those meetings and disappeared from public view.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Oddly enough, there is absolutely zero reason to give any more explanation than has already been given. Anything they say will immediately be spun as lies and interpreted to mean it was far worse. As such, the best play is to not dignify the idiotic rumors with a response at all.

He missed his meeting with Clinton and a PM from Denmark and disappeared for god knows how long. You don't think the people deserve an explanation?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Warcabbit posted:

I was thinking more about our treaties with Japan. Their military is, ha, the 'Self Defense Force', and we have obligations to aid them, since, in theory, they don't actually have a military.

If things get hairy, we might not be able to not engage, if you dig. Anyone have the actual details on our obligations?

If there is a war between Japan and China, and America is not involved and on the side of Japan, then it's literally light's out for America. We might as well get the hell out of Korea, withdraw from NATO and every other treaty we have, because it will be obvious to the world that our word means absolutely nothing. Japan is the de facto ally in Asia that we would defend at all cost. It's the basis of all of America's post WWII presence in Asia.

Also, two nuclear countries have never been in a "hot" war, but they sure as hell can be in a cold war and multiple proxy wars all over the globe. Look at the activities of GI Joe and Cobra in the late 80's and early 90's.

Finally, blaming the Chinese government or culture or educational system as the reason why Chinese people hate Japan is a little short sighted. Basically everyone in Asia hates the Japanese--look at Korea. I've never met a Korean person who was even "OK" with Japan. If there was ever a Japan v. SK war, NK and SK would forget why they hated each other and reunite in a weekend. That's how much they hate Japan.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fangz posted:

If PLA's landing boats are washing up on Okinawa, then for sure, but join in direct conflict for a piece of rock like Senkaku? (As opposed to advisors/logistical support/economic sanctions/issuing resolutions at the UN...) That's a tougher question. I suspect it'd depend on the particular administration, and the context of the conflict. If it's something Japan foolishly precipitated, then I expect a Georgia like situation where the US will make noises but be unwilling to escalate. If there's a more brazen act of aggression from the Chinese, then who knows.

I think Japan's relationship with the US is tighter than the Georgia-US alliance. For one, the US was incapable of even helping Georgia if it wanted to. On the other hand, the US has tons of bases and troops stationed in Japan. If Japan and China get into a hot war over the islands, I expect that the US would lead peace talks but clearly be on Japan's side. There would definitely be a reluctance to send troops, but I can see the US providing maybe behind the scene support (maybe intelligence and logistics).

Edit: Also the UN would probably go nowhere because both China and the US are on the security council. They would just veto everything.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ryan8723 posted:

Anyone who thinks Japan is a pacifist country is delusional. They are a very conservative, reactionary society that is absolutely cuthroat in all aspects of business and they are still extremely nationalistic. Anyone who makes this mistake will pay for it dearly.

Yes, the question on everybody's mind is whether or not Japan's military has shed the horrific aggression and behavior given the last 60 years of heavy American influence in the military Japanese sphere. Essentially, whether their giving up war in the past 60 years has changed anything or not.

My suspicions are that nothing has really changed, and that if America were to cut Japan loose, it would be a loving bloodbath in Asia all over again. I think the same questions linger about Germany post WWII and their role in the leadership of Europe. I'm more optimistic about Germany. Every single German I've ever met has it hammered into them what the country did in WWII, and I can see the country being mostly shy from doing anything aggressive for probably the next century. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Japan.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Modus Operandi posted:

If I were a Japanese person sitting at home watching tv i'd be laughing at the dumb rear end mainland Chinese destroying other Chinese citizen's property that they paid hard earned money for. Most of those Japanese restaurants they are throwing chairs through the store front of are owned by Chinese restauranteurs anyways. It's all pointless tantrum throwing by the nationalistic dull witted man on the street.

Yeah, that's what I think when I see those pictures also. The protestors are just destroying their own stuff, and that hurts the Chinese the most. Meanwhile, boycotting Japanese products is useless because most of the counterparts of those products made in China are dubious at best. What are you going to do, not buy Japanese formula and feed your kid melamine kidney destroyer formula made in Glorious China?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That is actually a serious problem. Talk to any German and they are acutely aware to the point of personal shame (even for young people) about what their country did in WWII. And I believe that it's the right amount of introspection and soul searching for Germany to have gone through. Japan on the other hand seems to be either oblivious or just doesn't give a gently caress. There's no sense of national remorse. There's probably more national feeling about being the victims of two atomic bombs vs. perpetrating the Rape of Nanking.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Adrastus posted:

The amount of war crimes perpetrated by Japan is so numerous and horrific that no single one of them can be pinpointed as the 'main' source of animosity against Japanese in China. However, the Chinese people are willing to put this grudge behind them, let bygones be bygones so to speak, if the Japanese were able to display genuine regrets for their wrongdoings, and apologize and make amendments with the people that they have wronged. But instead, what they got from japan are wholesale war crime denialism, downplaying of Japanese war crime and outright history revisionism in their textbooks, and high profile political visits by their heads of state to a shinto temple that enshires war criminals and revisionist history that, among other things, portrays Japan as the hero who tried to free Asia from western imperialism.

It'd be like if German politicians repeatedly visited a memorial dedicated to Hitler, Goebbels and the rest of SS while their school textbooks downplayed and/or whitewash the holocaust and nazi war crimes as 'propaganda' or 'matters of opinion'. It's appalling that the international community is allowing japan to get away with this.

Why don't they just apologize and acknowledge it. What kind of loving amendments do you want?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Iunno, usually in an apology you:
1) Acknowledge what you did wrong
2) Apologize for doing it
3) Say with words and show with actions that you are not gonna do it again and your apologetic words actually had meaning.

I'd say that in the wikipedia entry
1.) The Japanese did acknowledge that they caused great suffering and pain in Asia. Probably not specific enough? Still a blanket statement like that should be acceptable.
2.) They do say that they feel remorse and apologize.
3.) That's probably impossible for any country.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Nobody can guarantee anything won't happen in the future. Germany can't even guarantee that they won't go apeshit again and fingerfuck every country in its immediate vicinity sometime in the future. How the gently caress farther do you want Japan to go than loving renouncing war in its constitution and having five trazillion US bases on its territory?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
One good point is that I shudder to see China carrying such a mantle of victimhood into what it presumes to be its rise to be a superpower. I mean seriously, are they going to whine about the "hurt feelings of 1.3 billion people" when they start to throw their military weight around? They are going to eventually trend to overcompensating, and the world is going to have to deal with their bullshit.

Honestly China, just go to therapy.

My solution with the islands is to nuke it. Whoever stops the bombing and agrees to give it to the other side is the country that you give it to. You're welcome Asia!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Japan's last 50+ years of non-aggression is relevant if and only if the geopolitical situation in Asia in the next 50 years is similar. Obviously it's not going to be because of the changing military political and economic status of China. I'm sure despite the character and culture of the German people they are not stupid enough to want to ignite two totally destructive and devastating worldwide conflicts. The immediate political/military/economic environment plays a huge part in critical national decisions such as armament and war.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think in China there is an admiration of Jewish culture because of both Chinese and Jewish cultures highly value education. Beyond that, there is probably very little encounter between the two.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would agree. The vast majority of what happened in the European Theatre of Operations and indeed the atrocities done by the Nazis on the Jews have almost no cultural weight in China. And I suspect also, the subsequent conflicts in the ME between Israel and its neighbors probably also have no cultural weight in China.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
China strips bishop of his title after he openly denounces his membership in the so called "patriotic church".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/world/asia/china-is-said-to-strip-shanghai-bishop-of-his-title.html?_r=0

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lord Tywin posted:

But why does China want to use such an aggressive approach? I understand that they want to expand their territorial waters but it's really loving stupid to act so aggressive and make all their neighbors hate them, why not use the approach that they are currently using in Africa? Where they are building infrastructure, becoming friends with the leaders and making deals that will give the significant natural resources.

I don't think that approach is as fruitful with their immediate neighbors because they have competing interests, in the case of Japan, the contested islands; in the case of Vietnam and the Philippines, another set of contested islands. In the case of India and Myanmar, security concerns.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't think the problem is that the upper echelon is itching to go to war. By all rational views of statecraft, the people in charge of China and Japan both don't want to go to war. The problem is that the points of friction--these aircraft patrols and naval patrols in which they are given free reign to fire warning shots are played out by lower level soldiers.

Something crazy may be done by either side on the level of individual pilot or captain that drags both parties into a conflict that the upper echelon can't politically get out of. That's why I don't think that talk of war is that overstated. The politicians don't want it, but they don't have control over every facet of world events. If something like what happened when a Chinese fighter collided with the US surveillance plane happens between China and Japan, they may very realistically be headed for a shooting war.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The coming Chinese Century is really going to be annoying, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

hitension posted:

The thing that confuses me about the milk...

Chinese (mainland) businesspeople are clearly losing out. Their product is viewed as inferior and as such they are selling less and less of it. A Chinese businessperson should start a firm that offers high quality formula and advertise based on this. Chinese people could pay a premium for formula sold in the mainland and still save money vis a vis going all the way to Hong Kong. Chinese in places like Shandong probably have similar concerns about food quality but are stuck because they don't live in border areas. In short there is an opportunity for profit, and Chinese are usually pretty good about seizing such opportunities. Why hasn't this happened?

Trust in a brand name is very difficult to acquire and you need a lot of time to build it up. Once a particular sector has a really bad reputation, it's very tough to shake it. I imagine you can launch a premium brand and charge tons of money, but people still won't believe you're more trustworthy than other foreign brands,