Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I've always heard that heroin and other opium-based drugs were especially illegal in China for historical reasons. I've never found someone who could really confirm or deny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

zero alpha posted:

So is this the beginnings of an Occupy China, or something?

I hear they had an Occupy Beijing movement once. It didn't turn out well.

(I had such a hard time repressing the urge to say that last time I was in China when someone mentioned he'd seen the Occupy protests on TV)

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Weren't Koreans the ones claiming that Sun Yat Sen was Korean?

Dunno about that, but I believe some of them have claimed that Confucius was Korean.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

menino posted:

They also claimed to have been forced into battle by the US in the Vietnam war with nothing but sticks and shields.

God I hope you meant to say "Korean War"

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Ronald Spiers posted:

The only example I saw of Koreans claiming Confucius as a Korean was from a Japanese program...

I knew a professor, a fairly well-known Confucian scholar, who sat through a conference presentation where a Korean scholar claimed just that. I want to say that the conference was in China, but I'm not sure.

EDIT:

quote:

No, South Korea did deploy forces in Vietnam during the Vietnam War at the urging of the United States. Korean deployments to Vietnam peaked at 50,000 with a total of 320,000 Korean soldiers at one point deployed in Vietnam, making it the largest deployment of foreign troops besides the United States.

I did not know that.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Ronald Spiers posted:

Can you substantiate anything about this incident? What are there names and which universities to these folks work for? I would like to read their academic works.

Sorry, no, he just mentioned it in class once. Though apparently it was pretty awkward since he was asked to comment on the presentation right afterwards.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Almost every non-blond foreigner has at least one story of being taken for a Uyghur.

And on at least one occasion, of being asked if he was one while buying a pork sandwich.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

MeramJert posted:

caberham, how is an influx of unlicensed, back alley doctors something that helped turn Hong Kong into an economic powerhouse? I genuinely don't understand that point.

Presumably because a trained if unlicensed doctor who will work for affordable rates is better than no doctor?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Had my first round Skype interview for the NET job Friday. I won't know until later this week, but it's looking likely that I'll be invited to interview in New York come this March.

Still debating whether it's worth the expense, because my qualifications aren't that hot. I only have a year's teaching experience (secondary school, and I'm applying to teach primary) and a TEFL certificate with no teacher qualification from the US. And given how much NETs are supposed to make I'm guessing that they can afford to be picky. And interviewing is not something I'm good at. Any advice?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

synertia posted:

You'd be surprised how many bad interviews they get. Are you in the US now? Or in China? You can interview in HK if you let them know.

Yeah, I'm in Louisiana right now, hopefully finally getting my master's degree in May.

Also crap, meant to post this in the Tourism and Travel thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh good, I couldn't get a straight answer about that. It seemed really stupid that they wouldn't allow it for people already living in Asia but it wouldn't have been the first really stupid YOU MUST FOLLOW THE RULES PRECISELY thing I'd ever encountered.

There's a list of venues on the NET application form. The North American ones are listed as "pending," but apparently they had enough to justify it this year.

The whole thing is being handled by some agency called Footprints Recruiting. I sent my application directly to the Hong Kong Education Bureau, but they forwarded it to them.