Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Every single ESL teacher I've met has either returned to the West to do post-grad studies or try to do something "entrepreneurial" locally (and usually failed).

Then you've been lucky enough not to run into the really broken ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hitension posted:

But I can barely even think of a famous Asian American. "Behold our Secretary of Energy, Steven Chu!"

Daniel Inouye is not only an all-around badass, but is pretty drat high on the line of succession for the presidency.

Of course he's Japanese and all.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jesus, I'm glad to hear these anecdotes about Chinese girlfriends. I had a girlfriend from Shanghai a couple years ago, who literally thought that period sex had a good chance of outright killing her :psyduck: I thought that she was just weird as hell for a good while, until I realized that a bunch of other people had similar stories.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They're taking issue with Chinese culture, and it's education system. You could say they're being ethnocentric, because they're judging people using the standards of their own culture as an absolute norm, but nobody is saying anything about race; when people are saying Chinese/Asian/whatever, they're talking about the culture. If people were saying that everyone with an epicanthic fold was like a child than it would be racist as gently caress, but no one is. They're complaining about culture. Yes, we're all being terribly ethnocentric, but absolute cultural relativism sucks, so who gives a drat.

You're not wrong per se, and I know what you're trying to say, but your terminology is wrong.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Baby Huey Newton posted:

Like nobody bothers to attack this post, which shows where the priorities lie in the expat community. I've seen it before, we defend our own against the "discrimination" and "craziness" of those Asians around us. This post is literally a republican talking point with Asian "culture" substituted for black "culture", I would recommend you learn what racism is and read the seminal work: Orientalism by Edward Said if you are to speak on the subject.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying that posters here are definitely being ethnocentric in the sense that they are judging the 'maturity' of the people around them based largely upon one aspect, which is to say the sexual maturity/knowledge of Chinese/Korean/Japanese people, which is considered an important part of being an adult individual in the cultures where most of us grew up in. Judging people in this way is questionable, however we have been doing so largely in pursuit of criticizing the effects of the heavily standardized-test driven educational systems of these cultures. This, that the lack of life experience (including in sexual and relationship experience, as has been the focus the past few pages) brought on by the lifestyle that has to be lived in order to be successful in those educational systems, can be emotionally stunting, is a legitimate criticism, which is frequently brought up even within these countries.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

What the hell happened here?

Maybe it's just the word 'military lasers' that makes this sound so ridiculous, but who would he even sell this stuff to? The description makes it sound like laser sights, but there's this bit about how "This technology is so sensitive that, if in the wrong hands, it can pose a threat to our national security" that makes it sound like a bigger deal.

It's total hyperbole. It's just an IR laser sight, which is a laser sight like pretty much anything you can buy, except it can only be seen when wearing NVGs. The military uses them because it gives you a laser sight that you can use at night without giving away you positions, and it also shows up nice on the FLIR of air support etc, which makes it good for designating targets, but it's really not that big of a deal for them to be in civilian hands. In fact there are plenty of people that own them.

They're regulated by the FDA and can't be sold directly to civilians because of danger; it's a laser that you can't see but can still gently caress up your eyes really bad. However they're not illegal to own apparently, and if you run across one being sold as suplus by a police department or something you can buy them.

However, because they're fairly scare, people in the US do pay a fair amount for them. The issue here isn't the item itself, it's that they were stolen from the US. That agent is just talking up the find to make it seem important.

Edit: I do think that they may be technically something that are not supposed to be sold overseas without permission, and there may also be some rules regarding weapon components/accessories being taken into the US, so there are a number of potential legal issues here, but it's not functionally that different from a really good laser pointer, so calling it a significant threat to national security is total bullshit.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 17, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

Wait, guys, wait! There's still more to talk about on this baby formula thing.

Someone has gone so far as to start a White House petition about it.

I have no idea what they expect Obama to do :confused:

edit: I'm signing this poo poo because I really want to see the response.

What shitheel would ask for international aid for loving HK when there's people in other countries starving to death. Like I'm sure as I write this post a couple kids literally starved to death.

hitension posted:

Why do I suspect the relevant foreign aid agencies have bigger fish to fry than HONG KONG of all places

Hong Kong people should just start to go to another nearby country that's even more uptight than they are (Japan?) and buy up all the formula there to compensate.
It would work perfectly because nobody in Japan is having babies anymore anyway.

It's not easy for Chinese people to get into Japan, as I recall. You have to apply for visas and all.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Modus Operandi posted:

Here's another interesting friction point that could always potentially boil over too. I wonder how China will react to this.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/japan-scrambles-jets-in-island-dispute-with-russia/

Another Russo-Japanese war would be pretty catastrophic especially if it brought China in too.

They've been doing this poo poo for years, so it's not really that much of a development, unlike, for example the Chinese FCR thing. It's just getting a bit more attention in the media because of the timing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I get the feeling that Japan may have already played the 'Hey, come on, back in those days it was totally the in thing to be imperialist and assholes to everyone! Look at Britain! Look at the States!' card, though I'd like to know the general reaction to it.

Insofar as invading and taking over countries goes, that's not so much 'a card' as that's literally what happened. Hell, ask a historian. What Japan did, up until they started getting hurt bad on the Chinese mainland and the military started massacring people and committing atrocities, was not really any different from what any of the other imperial powers did. They got censure for it even at the time, but it was basically because they weren't white, and also they were somewhat late to the game.

Of course the Japanese government became increasingly militaristic and brutal as time went on, and it resulted in all the atrocities they committed. Another factor to keep in mind is that Japan was the only imperial power to ever make colonies in neighboring countries, and therefore have to deal more directly with the fallout of the actions. For example if the Congo was next to Belgium and had gained economic/military/political power, as China has, you can bet they'd never stop reminding people of what happened there.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 22, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
nothing to see here

*quote is not (a very late) edit*

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Basically it was calling China's bluff. Likely will be embarassing for Beijing but there won't be any war. It was also to remind the Japanese that the US has their back.

Apparently it was a long-planned training mission. If that's true then presumably they had done similar flights before, and China by all rights should have known that US planes flew through there. I don't know what their game is, but they're coming off as pretty stupid.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think China not even scrambling interceptors is telling. It really questions whether China had the will to enforce their air defense zone or were just counting on the Japanese to chicken out.

If it wasn't for the US presence (a big if), it would be a win-win of a sorts for China. If the Japanese back down, that's great for China, if they call the bluff, then they're being militarily aggressive and that gives a fair amount of political ammunition.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Come to think of it I keep hearing about how the Chinese aren't yet actually able to make the engines for some of their fighters themselves. Is making rocket engines for moon landings that much simpler?

Edit: Come to think of it considering we were doing that poo poo in the 60's then it probably is way less demanding than a 5th gen fighter engine, isn't it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

whatever7 posted:

I look at the recent successful protest movements, Euromaidan, Egypt, Syria, all violent protests. The ones thats not scueesful, OWS, Catalonia independence movement, all peaceful.

There are non successful violent protrsts, basically half of the Arab Spring protests and the one that started it, Iranian green protest after Ahmadinejad rigged his 2nd term.

Uh two of those protest movements led to open warfare that tore the countries to shreds. Egypt avoided open warfare purely because the military and government were separate entities in a way that's not seen in many other countries, and in the end Egypt just ended up with a crazy military controlled government.

Like literally nothing you are making makes sense. The protests you mentioned were only "successful" in that they brought things to a head enough where people had to choose sides in the ensuing bloodshed.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I saw a white HK police officer last night; is there any sizable amount of non-Chinese police officers in HK? Could that guy have been left over from British rule who decided to stay or something?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think I mentioned it before but my Chinese high school students far and away hate Hong Kong more than anything else on Earth. Shinzo Abe could have sex with a model of the Senkakus in Yasukuni Shrine and it wouldn't even come close to how much they've been whipped up to hate Hong Kong.

Why, though?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

P-Mack posted:

The Japanese justice system is terrible in a qualitative way. The American justice system is terrible in a quantitative way. The Chinese justice system is terrible in a Chinese way.

This is no joke a very succinct and accurate summary of the situation.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

The Okinawan protests have less to do with the US base itself and more to do with Okinawa's strained relationship with Tokyo, which it views the US base as a symbol of.

Did you know the US civil war wasn't about slavery?! Makes you think...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

They just think the US is the Illuminati and behind literally anything negative that happens to China.

To be fair the US and Japan would back the Phillipines unless it came to open warfare.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
loving lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWOY8q7iCU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kassad posted:

I've just looked at Wikipedia and it makes a comparison between that word and "negro", in that it used to be a neutral term for Black people but now you'd get told off (if you're lucky) for using it. It's also close to the pronunciation of "China" in several languages.

In Japan it's really quite analogous to negro in that way. Some people swear up and down that it's not really offensive, but it clearly is to some extent, and it's used almost exclusively in derogatory contexts.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
For all that I also enjoy making GBS threads on Hillary because I don't really care for her positions and record as a politician, and she certainly messed up the election in a number of ways, it's pretty funny to see a bunch of Internet toughguys talk about an otherwise incredibly successful Yale Law grad who's many times more wealthy than they will ever be as a "perpetual joke" and a "failure". Way to keep perspective there buckos lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

All sex with heads of state white expats is rape because of the power dynamic

Ftfy :smug:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

well I live and work there and I really like it so I'm usually kinda interested to see what people are saying

You do bring up the point that these meltdowns always happen with regards to China. It never seems to happen when talking about Japan, Germany, Brazil, Australia. I can't not figure out why people meltdown about China so much on the internet. I rarely see meltdowns in China like what I see on the internet. I don't get it

Hang around the Japan threads for a while and you'll see it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sincx posted:

I left the GBS thread to get away from all this crap and it's disheartening to see it here again. God drat it people.

Just post and discuss interesting articles, reports, videos, etc. that have to do with the geopolitics of the PRC/ROC/HK/Macau/Sinosphere.

Personal opinions regarding "the Chinese" can go to the GBS thread, or make a thread here.

The thing thing about China threads is that they're as much about the posters who live there as they are about China. There's a certain subset of people who choose to live in Asia as expats, and then of those people there's a certain subset who in turn decide to live in China, and boy are some of them interesting specimens.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Millionaires who've lived their whole lives playing and coaching sports have terrible political beliefs quite the shocker let me tell you

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

stone cold posted:

actually I lived in Taipei for six months and in China for a year and travelled around

認識你不高興屌絲

Guys watch out for this dude/ette; they've backpacked around Asia and can call you a baka in the eldritch script of the ancient Middle Kingdom, there's no way you can win against such deep understanding

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

stone cold posted:

sorry, about posting 繁體字 will post 简体字 in future lol this is China thread after all

It's okay they use traditional in Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei, both of which are of course part of China

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

whatever7 posted:

I find it a huge pastime here in SA, on other English language forums I don't find expats hating themselves that much.

What forums are these? Because messed up expats are par for the course all over Asia.

icantfindaname posted:

"Racist expat bitching about the natives" seems to be the default mode of discourse even in real journalism, see Jake Adelstein and company. To the extent it's not as strong with China, that might be because China is not afforded the automatic respect of being a first world peer nation that Japan is, which the racist expat discourse tries to undermine. China's already an Other because of geopolitics, you don't need to correct the public's automatic assumption of equality

"Real journalism" heh.

But I will say I don't recall Jake as being overtly racist per se; his writing is just dumb for other reasons.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tbh Japanese people have some serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to being cosmopolitan and international. People will say one thing and truly believe it, but their actions will be significantly different.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hypnophant posted:

It would, but not necessarily for understanding the Japanese responses - they transliterated a lot of English words one-to-one at the time of the Meiji restoration, so lots of concepts you might not expect have a literal translation. There's still room for the grammar to confuse things though, I guess.

You can transliterated all the words you want but the usage, nuance, cultural context etc. will potentially vary massively.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Yeah there's nuance but different people will have different understanding of an abstract concept within the same language and I have a hard time seeing how it's hard to find an adequate phrasing of the question that removes the ambiguity

So even people speaking the same language from the same culture will interpret things very differently, but surely we can control for that still even though we can't

hypnophant posted:

I'm a chinese speaker but in my experience 文化 works more or less exactly as a one-to-one substitute for english "culture." ... and where there is ambiguity it comes down to differences in how identity is constructed between cultures which brings us back to the original point about Asia and race.

So the word culture is the same except for when it's different and identity (which is heavily influenced by culture) is differently constructed between cultures (which form an integral part of identity).

Bloodnose posted:

We have a few professional translators who post around here and I believe they'll tell you their job is literally impossible and they fake everything

A professional translator would happily tell you how often it is impossible to get the nuance exactly right in succinct phrasing. This is why a lot of well (or poorly, depending on how you think something should be translated) translated books often have a ton of footnotes about nuance that's not really brought out by the translated version they decided to go with.

Now this is the case when you have one language to one language. Try doing that across a dozen languages. It will skew your data when you're doing something like a survey where wording and context is literally everything.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sincx posted:

I wonder if the Israeli Iron Dome system can be an option for Taiwan. Can Iron Dome effectively deal with the mostly Soviet-era PLA short and medium range missiles?

As I recall iron dome is for short range stuff and mortar rounds; complete different to a system meant for icbms and the like

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Who the hell even reported AO for that

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

literally living in the best possible time in the history of the human race ever recorded

It didn't just happen magically that we live with all we have; people studied and worked and fought their lives away so we can live the way we do.

We owe it to those people to do what we can to make sure the progress continues and that we don't regress.

That is why people take poo poo seriously. If we've been on a general upward trend (which we arguably have for the last century or so) then every day/week/month/year/decade has been the best ever, and if we keep pushing than every unit of time from here on will be.

If we start to say "things are good now; it's totally cool to let everything fall to poo poo" then guess what, it will.

Edit: what I'm saying is that a lot of that poo poo, not everything, isn't as mundane and irrelevant as you may think

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

how many people have u ever met that have said with a straight face "things are good now; its totally cool to let everything fall to poo poo"? because i am p sure literally every person will agree with u

Some people are dumb as gently caress and their definition of progress would be objectively awful and make everything fall to poo poo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

i agree, just don't know what it has to do with people who complain endlessly about things that are completely inconsequential in the modern world, which was my entire point

you're quote mining in a post that is literally three posts above you. not sure why, you can see what i was saying just three full posts above your post, lol

lol you think I actually read anything but the last post on a page I don't have time to waste BRUH

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

let's have a beer right now and toast to our lives at this moment in space and time. i'll get a tsingdao from the fridge

I would if I hadn't taken my sleep supps already; but I'll send you a toast through the aether when I get a St. Pats drink on Friday

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Caberham please post the exact same thing so you can get probated for posting in yellowface.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

What is a hapa? Am I going to regret asking? Is it like some kind of yellow golliwog?

Not sure if you're joking but it's become the accepted term for people of broadly Asian mixed ancestry. Originated in Hawaii and has been around for a long time with various degrees of use and acceptance, but has seen a recent resurgence.

Basically an easy way of saying you're multicultural/multiethnic with some level of Asian influence, especially useful in someplace like Hawaii where you'll frequently have people who are a mix of a whole bunch of ethnicities.

So it's a common and accepted term with no negative connotations or weird poo poo, in usual use.

The r/hapas subreddit, however, has somehow been co-opted by all the most broken human beings on the planet. They're vehemently against any interaction of white males and Asian females, and *specifically* that. They conversely think that children of Asian men and white females are fine and even superior. They're crazy self-hating nutbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

whatever7 posted:

I don't know how you guys call Japan a developed country just based on some numbers. They work way longer, all live in tiny dwellings and have been living frugally for many years now.

If all China has to do is reach that living standard they can easily do that in a couple decades. You can giggle the number all you want, the whole deceloped/developing definition is so outdated in 21st century anyway.

I honest think many Chinese cities have better living standard than HK if you go by simple facts such as personal living space, commute time, prospect for the future generations and real world purchase power. You can even throw pollution in there, its possible to find Chinese cities that have low pollution.

Uh economically Japan is very developed. Working hours and size of living space are basically cultural factors as much as anything else; are you seriously saying that a nation that is *by itself* more than half the population of Western Europe and the third largest national economy in the world is not developed because they have small apartments?