Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

french lies posted:

All this forced demolition chat made me think of the Fuzhou bomber last year.

From Wikipedia:

What this summary fails to mention is that he had made renovations on the new house totaling at least a million yuan. It all added up to two million yuan of lost value for him by his own account. But you know what the funny thing is? His second home was also demolished to make way for a highway. And not only that, it was the same loving highway.

If that happened to me, I'd be out there bombing some poo poo too.

Then it turns out the highway never ended up being built. Man, no wonder he went nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Modus Operandi posted:

That's assuming that an impoverished minority group within a large hindu/muslim population could gain enough socioeconomic traction and resources to carry on such a campaign. It's highly doubtful. You remember those pics that were circulating around '08 that were purported to be Chinese paramilitaries beating on protesting Tibetans? Yeah, those were actually Indian LEO's putting down Tibetan protests. No way Indians would tolerate that sort of activity within their borders either. Tibetans pretty much have no options.

Those were Nepalese officers actually, but you're right, India would not allow a minority population to drag it into a confrontation with China.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

http://politics.caijing.com.cn/2012-06-08/111883328.html

Changsha plans to build the world's tallest building, 220 storeys, 838 meters in 7 months. Will be done by the end of the year.

I can't read Chinese, so I'm missing a lot of details here. Are they going to build a 220 Storey tower in 6 months? Considering it took 5 years to build the Burj Khalifa, this estimate seems a tad optimistic.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, it was a different era but civilian airliners getting accidentally shot down by fighters doing routine air patrols is a real thing that has happened before.

I read that the airlines are complying with the new air defense zone rules, they clearly don't want to get caught in whatever poo poo's going to happen over those islands. I wouldn't be surprised if there are regular military flights through the area, from the US, Japan, or China. Gotta keep up that saber rattling. I hope nothing more happens, even a small accident could have pretty bad consequences.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

flatbus posted:

China sending troops over the Himalayas to massacre the Indians!

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but this actually happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

In fact, I remember reading that India first developed nuclear weapons as a deterrent to China. So yeah, there has been some hostility between the two nations in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

Of course they already have. I've lived with two consecutive sets of dirty hippies trying to tell me about how dried tiger dick is good for my spleen.

What, really? Wouldn't hippies be interested in environmental conservation, and protecting endangered species?