Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cefte posted:

Does domestically manufactured American honey proclaim loudly on its label that it's been ultra-filtered? Because that's a pretty strong piece of evidence that it's been adulterated, since adulteration shifts the pollen count within the liquid, which can't be measured after filtration.

Not the stuff I have, but the stuff I have is definitely no-pollen honey. Well, the Inter-American Foods bear-shaped plastic bottle honey anyway. Not the giant mason jar full of honey with some of the wax still in it, pretty sure that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

cafel posted:

Well guess that means the administration is going to raise the number of petitioners required for a response yet again. I thought it was a neat system when it was announced, but I've never heard any petition addressed which wasn't the result of internet humor or internet stupidity.

It's all bullshit designed to feed in to the whole social media slacktivism thing anyway, even when used as envisioned. Why actually get involved in the political process or, you know, learn anything when you can just upvote random poo poo on the internet and then pat yourself on the back for 'doing something'?

Or, more realistically, when you can :goon: something funny.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GuestBob posted:

Herp derp.

But yes, I imagine that the second roll of the dice is a little bit more loaded. Also, infanticide amongst disabled female children can be quite high in some areas and deformities are certainly something which they'll tell you about when you have an ultrasound so, yeah, I imagine a bunch of things will set the ratio off.

Also, does anyone know if the sex ratio at birth is average if a woman has already had a child of one gender? I thought I would check Wiki on this in case it would help me to look like less of an idiot but it doesn;t say - strikes me that a perfectly even ratio might be questionable for second children.

Natural human sex ratio at birth is pretty much 1:1. Current estimated average for the world sex ratio at birth is 107 boys to 100 girls.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GuestBob posted:

Yeah I get that much, what I was wondering was whether, after a child of one gender has been born, is it slightly more likely for subsequent children to be of the same gender.

Not naturally. It's basically a coinflip.

Intuitively, we think, well if the ratio of heads to tails is 1:1 and we just flipped heads, the next one is more likely to be tails. This is not the case. Previous outcomes don't have any impact on future ones, and AFAIK there haven't been any studies to show the human body to automatically stack the deck based on past outcomes, either.

So, without intervention, over the long term and averaged across the entire population of the planet, it's 1:1. In the 'short' term some people get all daughters some get all sons, some get a mix.

It requires human intervention of some variety to noticeably tweak the ratio, and interventions that don't specifically target one outcome or the other won't noticeably alter the ratio. To get noticeable ratio changes requires targeted intervention of some sort or another. I.E.: If you only count coinflips that land in your hand as being valid, it won't change the heads-versus-tails results.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

It isn't "pretty much 1:1."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

Are you asserting that all those countries practice sex-selective abortion or something? The average is being dragged upward by China and India, and a few other smaller countries, but it looks more like the typical natural ratio is more like 1.03 to 1.05.

Sperm production may be pretty much 1:1, but the viability of girl and boy fetuses may vary (possibly based on the mother's health), and the success of fertilization may vary depending on the sperm's payload (the Y chromosome is lighter, for instance).

I realize this has nothing to do with your gambler's fallacy argument which is still correct, just saying this detail is wrong.

Meh. Close enough for 5 minutes of midnight wikipedia browsing.

The point I was getting at is that anything much further off than 1.07:1 is probably being deliberately selected for, and refuting the gambler's fallacy thinking that the second-if-the-first-is-a-girl policy would lead to 1.5:1 all on its own.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

sincx posted:

Lol, it's like something on newgrounds from 2001

Wouldn't be surprised if it WAS on Newgrounds in 2001, just minus the Diaoyu-themed start screen.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Basically, we're not going to see Real Life Call of Duty here, although I would bet that when Western developers and production studios grow more ballsy we'll probably see fictionalized versions of such a war more frequently.

Doubt it, since such a game wouldn't be able to be sold in China. :rimshot:

A proxy war of some sort in Africa is somewhat plausible, though. Possibly in the form of another civil war but with the sides funded and equipped by the US and China under the table?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

I honestly wouldn't take any chances with my kids and I don't blame Chinese parents who would be concerned. Also not everybody can breast feed, for example if you had a C section.

...You can totally breastfeed after a c-section. Apparently it sucks and is hard, but it's not like it's impossibly more difficult than ~the natural way~.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

caberham posted:

China goons know this, but each time I go back to the mainland and see street making GBS threads or peeing, I just whip out my camera and take pictures. Yes, it's vulgar behaviour and sometimes the parents get mad at me. I'm sick and tired of looking the other way when I see street shitters. Heck this country is always looking the other way, maybe that's why it's so freaking corrupt and disorderly.

Well, maybe they should have taken their kids to a toilet and not just let them go whenever and where ever:colbert: 6 year olds just dropping their pants out of the blue is not cool

Man I got to start a tumblr of kids pooing every where :china:

Somehow I get the feeling that such a tumblr would attract a very different audience rather than the one you're hoping for. :pedo::shrek:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 30, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

This is also the best excuse for why the Chinese bubble will never stop. People buy houses with cash, so when everyone runs out of cash, they can just start taking loans. Problem solved.

I actually had a Chinese person say that to me.

We need :eng99: but for economics and finance.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

The government is really making GBS threads its pants. This was just posted an hour ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw1w3ecHQQ8

The ISD YouTube channel is really sad though. When I clicked on it, it had one view. I assume that one view was mine.

I imagine the 28 views accumulated since then are all readers of this thread.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dux Supremus posted:

This is a pretty good point, and frankly PLAN's carrier ops are going to be poo poo for a long time based on USN's experience.

Yeah, good luck with that with your safety record, China.

I think you've stumbled upon their solution for their demographic imbalance.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

And Lockheed Martin stuck an accelerometer on a probe upside down so the parachute didn't deploy and its samples were lost on re-entry.

At least it was only the sample return accelerometer that was backwards and not the angular velocity sensors for first stage guidance. :rolleye:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It is for China.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

So Chinese life is filled with hardship, struggle and pain to the point that the rest of the world is relatively coasting along, but it's still the product of a superior and more sophisticated society?

Well, you see, it WOULD be so much better, China would be the richest and most powerful country, as the product of the superior and sophisticated society that's been around the longest, except those drat western imperialists sabotaged China's future during the century of humiliation, obviously.

:china::qqsay::china:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not saying it's invented out of whole cloth, but the assumption that if the West had just left Qing Dynasty China alone long enough, China would rule the world is.. optimistic.

The Century of Humiliation sucked poo poo for China and they got hosed over pretty hard, but they hosed themselves pretty hard too between the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, which some might argue would never have happened without Western intervention but who the hell knows what -would- have happened and trying to make arguments based on 'what should have been' is silly, and especially silly to argue from a default standpoint of 'everything wrong with the world is solely and completely the fault of white people' but this is D&D after all.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Literally no one has said the west did nothing wrong.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It works better if you read the whole post hth

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ooh, I want a Yatch!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The bottom one is frogs obliviously chillaxing in a pleasantly warm pot while evil communists stoke the fire with wood labeled 'One Country Two Systems' and I can't read anything else.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Speaking of blockades, does People's Liberation Army Navy sound as dumb in Chinese as it does in English?

I'm just an idiot with a computer and don't actually speak Chinese, but from five minutes of googling, 军/軍, the 'Army' in People's Liberation Army, can have a whole variety of meanings along the lines of troops, armed forces, army, military.

So I imagine it doesn't sound quite as dumb in Chinese. In fact, the Chinese for 'Navy' seems to be 海军 or ('sea army') so it probably sounds just right.

People's Liberation Force is probably more accurate in English but they decided they'd rather be the PLA.

Listen to this guy, not me \/\/\/\/\/

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Surprisingly, continuing the graph with the line in the same slope forever isn't always an accurate model for prediction. Wild!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Or the US's ability/willingness to utilize its military will crumble until it's no longer a credible threat and China will just do as it likes, take Taiwan by force, and it won't matter what anyone else wants.

And I don't mean that in the Fox News, neo-Yellow-Peril way, I mean more of a... new isolationism in the aftermath of the wars in the Middle East and growing domestic problems.

Though Bloodnose's prediction is probably the more likely one to come to pass.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MJ12 posted:

I think this is assuming that the Chinese goal is to keep the status quo, which as Arglebargle has said, is false. They think that overturning the status quo is their birthright, and the fact is that this is what rising countries do. The status quo very rarely has been optimal for them, so they seek to change the strategic calculus in their favor. Their provocations, as such, can be taken in context of the typical game of chicken with hegemonic actors rising powers go through. It's not exactly Inscrutable Orientals Playing Inscrutable Mind Games for Inevitable Victory but I think if you go through every major nation's diplomatic history you'll see similar patterns of overreach and/or deliberate provocation.

They're making the same mistakes, but I think those mistakes result not from people not knowing better, but internal pressures which no nation is immune to.

Exactly. It's hardly the first time that nationalist sentiments have been whipped up to distract from internal problems despite being aware of potentially deleterious long-term consequences. In fact "whipping up nationalist sentiments to distract from internal problems despite being aware of potentially deleterious long-term consequences" is pretty much the20thcentury.txt in its most simple form.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Most of the street making GBS threads/bag peeing stories seem to be kids which might partially explain the phenomenon.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I did qualify that with 'partially'.

Peeing in a bag in line at a Disney Land ride makes a certain redneck-y sort of sense. Pooping on a table literally ten feet from a perfectly usable bathroom makes no sense at all.

MeramJert posted:

It's because in Traditional Chinese Medicine, diapers disrupt the flow of qi through the body.

You might be on to something here.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe qualify it as 'intentionally contaminated'. Or maybe 'knowingly and deliberately added poison' but that might hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

If a little of something is good, then more must be better!

And a soul-crushing amount of something must be best of all!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Don't you know? Traditional Chinese Medicine is wholesome and natural and safe! Who knows what's in those crazy chemical drugs!"

Cause? Hell if I know.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure most Asian interpretations of western food would give westerners the shits, too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I doubt the Chinese government wants to explicitly reward violent agitation for democracy, though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Voting isn't really a day to day thing and most people in the US don't bother to vote anyway. I know I don't. The right to assemble in protest or whatever also isn't really a day to day thing, and people not carrying guns around everywhere actually gives me the freedom to not worry about getting shot.

What the gently caress is this?

Being able to vote and assemble and protest and exercise free speech don't count because they're not every-day things, but "your freedom to not get shot" does? How many times did you got shot per year, on average, while you were living in the states? :allears:

On the bright side, at least your 五毛 will get you most of a bottle of booze to wander around town openly drinking from, because that's what really matters after all.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

But don't you understand you're literally FORCED to go around in a giant planet-killing death machine!!!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

China Megathread - Tu Quoque Appreciation Station

Alternatively: China Megathread - А у вас негров линчуют

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 7, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That Wikipedia Article posted:

The German acupuncture trials (German: GERAC-Studien[1]) were a series of nationwide acupuncture trials set up in 2001 and published in 2006 on behalf of several German statutory health insurance companies due to a dispute as to the usefulness of acupuncture.[2] They consisted of one observational study on acupuncture side effects, and four randomized controlled trials (RCTs) investigating acupuncture treatment for low back pain, knee osteoarthritis, migraine prophylaxis, and tension-type headache. The trials are considered to be one of the largest clinical studies in the field of acupuncture.[2]

As a result of the GERAC trials, the German Federal Joint Committee ruled in April 2006 that the costs of acupunctural treatment for chronic back pain and knee osteoarthritis would be covered by public health insurers in Germany,[3] though no coverage was offered for headache or migraine.[4] However, because of the outcome of these trials, in the case of the other conditions, insurance corporations in Germany were not convinced that acupuncture had adequate benefits over usual care or sham treatments.[5] No significant differences between acupuncture and sham acupuncture were found in any trial.[6]

Sticking needles through the skin works (by releasing endorphins as a response to the needle pain). Placing them according to meridian lines and junctions to open your qi flow is bullshit.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Depends on what they mean by standards. Is it a standard in the sense of 'actual rigorous scientific testing to determine actual benefit' or standard in the sense of 'only the finest tiger dong from wild tigers, any captive-bred tiger dong must be explicitly marked as such'?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly I think the BEST part about studying medicine in China is that it's cheaper than getting an undergrad degree in the US :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hey, that's hurting the feelings of the Welsh people!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'll have you know they're very proud of their 5000 year history of sheep-loving culture!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At least in the US our ridiculously militarized police look badass, and not like 80s throwback day at the airsoft field :smuggo: