Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Perhaps a strange question, but I'm in Shanghai and want to buy a harmonica, rather not getting something off of Taobao sight unseen. I don't suppose anybody has any tips?

Also, why is it so hard to find stick deodorant around here?

Edit: and a tip for Westerners to avoid stomach discomfort - eat all the 麻辣肉丝 you want, just avoid the burritos from Pizza to Go.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Or it could be that after decades of real poverty people are enjoying having jobs and eating well. Who knows!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

Probably nothing major. Chinese navy is inferior right now. So the longer it waits, the better it is for China. But you can not avoid confrontation too much to be seen as coward from the internal pressure. Probably send a few ships over to circle it a few time to state the Chinese claim and maybe even touch the blumpers of the Japanese ships.

Looks like you were right on target:

NYTimes posted:

On Friday, the Coast Guard identified two of the Chinese vessels as the Haijian 51 and Haijian 66, unarmed ships used for law enforcement in Chinese waters. It said the two ships entered Japanese-controlled waters near one of the islands early Friday morning, and left two hours later.

When a Japanese vessel warned the ships against entering Japanese waters, the Chinese replied that they were in Chinese territorial waters, and ignored requests to turn back, Japan’s Coast Guard said.

Hopefully this problem remains manageable. I'm sure there are elements of the CCP (and PLA) who would love to exploit this issue to strengthen their position in the current political mess.

From here.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 14, 2012

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Also it's not like just anybody can be a candidate, by and large. When the candidates are pre-approved there's no risk. Plus anybody elected promising change quickly realizes they have no ability to effect such change, which leads to disillusionment in the system in general (good thing this will never happen anywhere else).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I just went through Shanghai Pudong airport and there were signs about this 72-hour stopover policy that made it seem pretty new, but I know a guy before who stopped over in the airport for a little while without problems.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well, he's not wrong. All of those things suck.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I can also imagine a scenario where they wanted a certain outcome and got it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Alright, off to the shuanggui with you...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hero is a good example because it's a sympathetic portrayal of the most cruel, murderous, anti-culture Emperor ever.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Thank you for this, it was very informative.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I have all his movies, but still think Romeo Must Die and The One are pretty good. Even if Shaolin Xiaozi is cooler in a lot of ways.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It might sound dumb when put like that but it's one of those unquestioned assumptions. Like how it's so surprising (to various experts) that the only thing that Kim Jong-Un took from his education in Switzerland was a liking for fine cheese.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
2132 World Series in Beijing between the Atlanta Braves and the Tianjin Lamas?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Bloodnose posted:

I just had a lecture from this guy two weeks ago where he gave a preview of the topics in this article. He was very alarmist.

Another Sinologist then remarked after he left that Shambaugh is generally more rosy on China than most of his peers.

I took a class from him and he has many decades of various books and such and is really pretty positive, generally - far from alarmist. Although he did take a trip to China in '11 and came back pretty depressed, I think. So he has probably been trending in this direction for a few years. Regardless of that, he's one of those people whose exists in our DC sphere in such a way that his publicly stated opinion indicates more than just his own feelings, I think. So even if you disagree with him it's still good to be aware that that opinion is out there.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 18, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well if they'd stop putting their drat pee-pee in my Coke I'd have no quarrel!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"Don't worry, that's just rigor mortis..."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
China’s Stock Market Plunges

quote:

SHANGHAI — Share prices in China plunged on Friday in one of the sharpest sell-offs in years, accelerating a downturn this past week in what has been, for much of this year, the world’s best-performing stock market.

China’s two major market indexes fell in tandem. The Shanghai composite fell 7.4 percent on Friday. The Shenzhen composite fell even more, dropping 7.9 percent. Share prices in Hong Kong, which is regulated separately, also weakened, dropping 1.8 percent.

“This is not a bad thing,” Mr. Lo said. “This is an opportunity for long-term investors to go back in. Many investors weren’t comfortable with those sky-high valuations.”

Buy, buy, buy?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
stocks are a lot like bananas, they grow up in the trees but at some point you have to bring them down to earth and eat them

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
One can only hope that Legalism works as well for Xi as it did for Qin Shihuang's son.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Greedo shot first :colbert:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I read it as him saying that the reason Ai Weiwei is still kicking up trouble is because the CCP lets him because, as you said, Chinese people don't care, and that the foreign media should do a better job of looking at real activism in China.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
They don't need to invade as much as blockade and wait (while blowing things up, sure), then invade at their leisure. But that is all assuming they're convinced that the US isn't going to go whole hog in defending Taiwan, which seemed more in question a few years ago than it does now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Lee Bo is back in HK.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Lee Bo is back in China.

quote:

“I feel the mainland has prospered and the motherland is affluent and powerful,” he told Phoenix Television. “As a Chinese I feel proud. I plan to take my son back to the mainland for medical treatment later. My feeling is, as a Hongkonger, if Hong Kong wants development, it must closely rely on the mainland, the motherland.”
Sounds like he had a frank and open discussion with the CCP and on the basis of factual argument and persuasion changed his mind.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
He probably had very serious threats made against his family and coworkers and is doing whatever the CCP wants right now to avoid harming them. Just a guess though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, because the lack of international protestors is really helping HK stay separate.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The Book of Changes is meaningless gibberish.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
My bad!

But as the Orientals say,

Nine in the fifth place means:
The influence shows itself in the back of the neck.
No remorse.

Six at the top means:
The influence shows itself in the jaws, cheeks, and tongue.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm still a fan of carving questions onto a turtle shell and burning it and seeing how it cracks. It does tend to annoy the turtles though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I've been following Chinese politics for about 15 years now and am very disillusioned and cynical about it; certainly any hopes of political reform have been well and crushed by this point. It would be pretty amazing if the CCP were to somehow avoid the long-predicted collapse but it's clear by this point that nobody can really pinpoint anything with certainty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

the idea that China would become a west-friendly liberal democracy was always idiotic, probably the stupidest part of the already very stupid end of history fukuyama predictions

By the same token it wasn't a foregone conclusion that China would be like it is now. There have been plenty of local experiments with elections and whatnot. The biggest issue is that the CCP looked at the collapse of the Soviet Union and took the lesson that it was caused or abetted at least partly by a loss of central control and the expansion of free speech and political discussion and so they've been hellbent on avoiding that in China. But it's not like that's some sort of sustainable path. In general the CCP always goes for repression first, which I think is a little bit darkly funny because I don't believe that 'repress your symptoms and you'll be cured' is the philosophy behind traditional Chinese medicine.

China could have been a democracy friendly with the West if the KMT had won the civil war.

I would hesitate to blame Deng, out of any of the leaders, for the current situation. Opening the country was the right move, but there was much more that needed to happen, still needs to happen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The KMT faced a very similar situation as the CCP did in Tiananmen not long after that happened, but they chose a different path. I'm not certain a moment like that will come around again in mainland China.

But it's true it shows the line of 'Chinese people can't handle democracy' for the lame excuse it is.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure the Chinese quite know what to do, I'm sure they weren't expecting this. A trade war would wouldn't help them any more than it would us and the PRC's legitimacy is bound up in the teetering economy - but what if a clear enemy were to emerge?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
All I can say is I hope I'm wrong!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

I don't think you understand how strongly China feels about this issue.

You don't have to believe me but in my opinion you are in for a surprise.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Invisible Handjob posted:

I hope you're wrong but probably not. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the government start a war over face.

Again they won't be declaring war tomorrow but this is going to set a very confrontational tone of US-China relations where we are already buzzing each other in the South China Sea and it's hard to see The Donald de-escalating any issue, isn't it? It's been 20 years since the Straight crisis so many people may have forgotten that China will put their money where their mouth is on this issue.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fojar38 posted:

China backed down in the Strait crisis

We cannot afford to be creating these crises.

What you say is true but risks are associated with probabilities and creating the conditions for higher risks is not a good idea. Nobody knew how the Straight crisis was going to go when it was in progress.

I am personally very curious as to what the Chinese will do because I did not imagine this would happen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
China can blow up Taiwan's airfields and block their ports. If the US isn't willing to commit then all China has to do is enforce a blockade.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
They're not doing that for anybody in the US, I think that's all more for domestic consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What exactly is the behavior of the Japanese people today that so offends you?