Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I gotta say, I actually think you've nailed these characters voices. And I did like the signal jammer explanation. Made me imagine him trying to boost it with like, a dozen cellphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Jesus, now I understand what you blokes meant by the new maps- the bunker actually looks like a proper adhoc-military command centre, instead of a basement with some beds dragged down there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did you hack Miguel in or is that another change?

I'm honestly still not sure what you're using in addition to 1.13. Is the linked mod just something you installed on top of 1.13 for the Wildfire maps and everything else you're doing by hand?

Also for anyone who has never played JA2. There's so much extra stuff being written here, you're going to end up with a more cohesive/better story than any of us ever probably got in the original version (not that anyone ever played the original for the story).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I love JA2 and I love Burn Notice and I think I love you.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
nthing the whole authenticity of character and voice thing.
Does the game allow for improvised explosives and the like?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Natty Ninefingers posted:

nthing the whole authenticity of character and voice thing.
Does the game allow for improvised explosives and the like?

Do jars of RDX crystals and detonators fashioned from fake Rolex watches count? Can't remember if the latter was only included in 1.13 though...

And Molotovs, can't forget those.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I do remember that IED's and improvised attachments like silencers were possible in Vanilla JA2, along with traps.

Problem was the AI's path of attack was never able to be *just* in the right place to set off a really nasty blast.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I'm liking this.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Rascyc posted:

Did you hack Miguel in or is that another change?

I'm honestly still not sure what you're using in addition to 1.13. Is the linked mod just something you installed on top of 1.13 for the Wildfire maps and everything else you're doing by hand?

The linked mod goes on top of vanilla JA2. It includes 1.13, the Wildfire maps, Smeagol's item mod (AIMNAS), HAM, etc. There is actually a newer version, I think, that fixes the items so you can use NCTH (New Chance to Hit) with AIMNAS, but I'm just gonna roll with the current mod and experiment with the new releases later.

Other than modding in the IMP portraits for Mike, Fi, Sam, and Jesse, and the INI changes detailed in the OP, I haven't done anything to the game. Everything else is just me moving people around, taking screenshots, and making up dialogue to fit the tableau.

Any feedback on the portrait sizes? I'm tempted to increase them (maybe double what they are now), but I'm concerned that they'll just make the dialogue too spaced-out and hard to parse. I'll probably also start including new NPCs under the "Dramatis Personae" section of the OP to hopefully make it easier for people to tell them apart.

Thanks also to everyone for the compliments, but the lion's share of the credit should be going to the Burn Notice writers and performers for creating distinctive characters -- it makes them that much easier to try and write.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They could be a little larger, but maybe you might want to keep the current size but cut down on the background stuff in the images? Crop it so it's mostly just the head? Might make for better images. If the images are your own host, you could just upload new images, rename them appropriately without having to edit every link in the updates.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is a neat idea, eager to see what happens next.

I think that the dialogue portraits would be easier to recognize if they were larger. I've mostly been relying on tone to tell who is speaking with the current size.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

FiddlersThree posted:

Any feedback on the portrait sizes? I'm tempted to increase them (maybe double what they are now), but I'm concerned that they'll just make the dialogue too spaced-out and hard to parse. I'll probably also start including new NPCs under the "Dramatis Personae" section of the OP to hopefully make it easier for people to tell them apart.

You should definitely make them bigger. I've done a poo poo load of LPs and I've never had portraits smaller than 50x50. As long as you don't go over 100 pixels, you ought to be good.

Also, FAR more cars need to explode in this LP if it's going to maintain a Burn Notice narrative. :colbert:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The Dark Id posted:

You should definitely make them bigger. I've done a poo poo load of LPs and I've never had portraits smaller than 50x50. As long as you don't go over 100 pixels, you ought to be good.

Also, FAR more cars need to explode in this LP if it's going to maintain a Burn Notice narrative. :colbert:

... do Walker Bulldog tanks count?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

He doesn't just need to explode cars so much as it needs to be that every window in Arulco is shattered via shockwave.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Yeah, I will be exploding plenty of tanks. I hope that suffices. There are a couple car options in this game, but the idea is that I will be driving them, not blowing them up.

I went through and embiggened the portraits to 50x60. I think they work a lot better now.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Meduna, Arulco -- Queen Deidranna’s Palace
June 24, 2011 -- 0819 EST

As dawn breaks over Meduna, capital city of Arulco, Queen Deidranna awakens to an unexpected report from Elliot, her chief of staff.

“This had better be important, Elliot.”

“Forgive the intrusion, Your Highness, but an unidentified airplane was spotted approaching Drassen around 3 o’clock this morning.”

“And? I presume it was shot down?”

“Yes, Your Highness, but… it seems there were survivors.”

“Well, dispatch a search team! Find them and arrest them!”

“Oh, a search team was dispatched immediately, Your Highness! But--…”

“Elliot…?”

“…It seems they were all killed, Your Highness.”

The Queen hauls back her hand and slaps Elliot across the face.

“Elliot! You IDIOT! I want this rebellion crushed, not reinforced! Send more troops -- I want to know who these ‘survivors’ are and why they are here!”

“Yes, Your Highness! Right away!”

-----------------------------------------------

West of Drassen, Arulco
June 24, 2011 -- 1013 EST

Michael, Fiona, Ira, and Dimitri hike down the road towards Drassen.

“So, do you really think you can get a signal with that thing?”

“As long as the airport has a big antenna, which it should.”

“My parents bought that laptop for me when I joined Habitat. They figured that I’d be out in the sticks without internet, and they wanted to make sure I’d be able to stay in contact.”

“Is that how you came to Arulco? With Habitat?”

“Yeah. I got here just a few months before the Queen staged her coup. Habitat pulled out just before the fighting started, but I figured--… I don’t know. That’s when I’d be needed the most, you know? So I stayed behind to do what I could.”

“That was brave of you.”

Fiona looks pointedly at Michael.

“Ira save many lives. Even Miguel. Even me.”

Michael suddenly stops short and drops into a crouch, motioning for the others to do the same.

“Shh! There are soldiers up ahead.”

“The army! I knew they’d show up sooner or later!”

“Looks like just a patrol. I count seven--… no, eight. Can we shoot them?”

Michael glances back at Ira.

“Look, I’m no soldier, but this wouldn’t be my first firefight.

He nods.

“Fi, I’ll swing north with Dimitri. You take the south. Ira, you cover Fi.”

Michael and Dimitri keep just north of the road, taking cover behind some of the boulders strewn throughout the field.

Meanwhile, Fiona and Ira find their own cover to the south, and begin advancing on the patrol.

Fiona makes first contact, but holds her fire until Ira is in position to provide cover.

She only needs one shot.

The enemy hears the shot and comes running. Michael spots one approaching up the road, but he doesn’t have much of a shot through the tall vegetation.

Dimitri spots an enemy trying to outflank them.

“Michael! Soldier at three--… no, my three, your twelve o’clock!”

It’s a tough shot, and it takes a couple rounds, but Michael brings him down.

He is only one of many, however, as another soldier rushes their position.

And gets a bullet for his troubles.

Fiona draws a bead on an enemy trying to split their position.

“Nice one!”

“Thanks.”

Dimitri catches sight of another soldier sweeping in from the east.

He fires. At this range, he only grazes the target, but the hail of buckshot whistling by forces the enemy to cower to the ground, suppressed.

(game note: if a lot of lead is in the air around an enemy, it can have a suppressive effect, draining their action points and forcing them prone. this can render them completely ineffective, even without actually hitting them, and it makes shotguns useful even in the hands of someone who can’t shoot worth poo poo)

Down to the south, Fiona and Ira are suddenly outflanked! Multiple enemies appear from the southern edge of the map.

Ira cowers as bullets ricochet off the boulder she is using for cover!

(game note: suppressive fire works both ways…)

Apparently, a patrol in the sector to the south heard the gunfire and reinforced their Royalist friends.

Fiona goes prone and takes out the target flanking Ira…

As Ira frantically blasts her Beretta at the enemy right in front of her. Her efforts are rewarded.

Fiona cocks her rifle and knocks down another enemy as he approaches.

Up to the north, Dimitri takes advantage of his enemy’s suppressed state, charges up, and blows him apart at close range.

Michael dashes across the road to support the outnumbered Fiona and Ira, but stops short as a member of the original enemy patrol appears.

He fires his carbine and gets the kill.

Another soldier charges across Ira’s line of sight, and she squeezes off a few rounds with her pistol, dropping him.

(game note: you may notice that Mike and Fiona have accurate ammo readings of exactly how many rounds are left in their weapons. this is one benefit of being higher level. Ira’s ammo counter reads ‘?M’, meaning that she can guess from the weight that her magazine is about half-empty. Dimitri is an idiot, so he has no idea of how many bullets his has left.)

Back to the north, Dimitri engages in a shotgun duel with a Royalist. The Royalist drew first blood, lightly grazing him with a blast of buckshot and forcing Dimitri prone, but the dauntless Dimitri gets the better of the exchange.

Meanwhile, Fiona empties her rifle but takes out another of the Queen’s men. She takes a moment to slam more rounds into the weapon.

At the same time, Ira grimly keeps shooting at the targets presenting themselves and drawing more blood.

Fiona brings down another. Her Sniper trait is tearing up these patrols.

And another…

…As Dimitri finishes off his foe.

With Fiona and Ira still taking heavy fire and the north and east more or less secure, Michael rushes south to try and take some of the pressure off.

It’s a nice gesture, but Ira…

…and Fiona have things well in hand.

Meanwhile, Dimitri locates the lone surviving member of the patrol, and creeps through the field towards him.

(game note: under the character’s portrait, if the name and remaining action points [AP] are written in yellow, it means the character is Sneaking, which costs extra AP but reduces the chances of being detected)

The enemy does not spot Dimitri, and he cuts him down, execution-style.

"Everyone okay?"

"I am hit little bit."

"Lemme have a look, Dimitri."

Loot from the battle.

Fiona grabs a camo helmet, one of the radios, and some spare magazines for the Type 85, though with as effective as she is with the Remington, it may not be necessary.

Michael loses the carbine in favor of an SKS, a nice rifle comparable to Fiona’s, but semiautomatic so he doesn’t have to spend AP working the bolt. It’s not in very good condition, though, and there’s not much ammo, but I expect Drassen to be mostly pistol work for Michael anyways. He also snags a camo helmet, a radio, and some kickin’ rad sunglasses.

Ira takes Michael’s M1 Carbine, but at his suggestion loads it with the hollow-point rounds that one of the enemies was carrying. She also fills her pack with both hollow-point and armor-piercing magazines, and pilfers a camo uniform from one of the bodies to give her better protection than the t-shirt she was wearing previously.

Dimitri picks up some more shells for the shotgun and slings an MP40 filled with hollow-points as his oh-poo poo solution.

Next Episode: Decisions in Drassen

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

That's a lot of action for a small patrol. Wasn't expecting it to get reinforced so soon.
Deidranna's palace looks way better with these maps. Also I hope you're going to update Elliot's portrait as the takes more and more punishment. :smith:

Do you have the huge Drassen counterattack enabled? I can't imagine how long it would take to write up an encounter like that, let alone have one of your main characters survive.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you do the counterattack properly, you can pretty much be reinforced by twenty+ militia. Potentially really easy but really loving boring (presuming there is any decently defendable structures like in vanilla). Just reaaaaaaaaly tedious. But it sets the stage for some good Michael Westen antics.

Is there a way to make to the AIMNAS stuff with NCTH? Because I love being able to use NCTH with auto weapons with all the extra fancy attachments and stuff to sperg about and decide upon.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

x!te bike posted:

Do you have the huge Drassen counterattack enabled? I can't imagine how long it would take to write up an encounter like that, let alone have one of your main characters survive.

In the OP he said it was turned off.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

If you do the counterattack properly, you can pretty much be reinforced by twenty+ militia. Potentially really easy but really loving boring (presuming there is any decently defendable structures like in vanilla). Just reaaaaaaaaly tedious. But it sets the stage for some good Michael Westen antics.

Is there a way to make to the AIMNAS stuff with NCTH? Because I love being able to use NCTH with auto weapons with all the extra fancy attachments and stuff to sperg about and decide upon.

There is a compatibility patch someone made on the bear pit forums (note: this is pretty much the main place where JA2 modding happens), though I haven't tried it out so I don't know how well it works. At the very least it makes them COMPATIBLE, so the guns have the variables they were missing before. Whether or not it's balanced, I'm not sure.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Plank posted:

In the OP he said it was turned off.

Yeah. While it can be a fun challenge in the early game, the thought of actually writing up a post for the counterattack wrecked my soul. I decided against it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Do you have the New Aggressive AI turned on? I agree that having the big-rear end Drassen Zerg Rush turned off was probably a good idea for this LP, but a few tense defensive fights are fun all the same.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
New Aggressive AI is on indeed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Wow, the map looks WAY better than the original JA.

Note for FiddlersThree: If the action boils down to

- Michael shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Ira shoots someone.
- Dmitri gets grazed.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Victory!

with no real story point, you can probably condense it considerably, especially if nothing really spectacular happens.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That's some pretty OP hardware you're using for this stage of the game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ilustforponydeath posted:

That's actually just how AIMNAS is. It likes to throw assault rifles and such into your hands right off the bat. Most of the mercs have had their starting inventories reworked so that even the cheapest ones can start with them.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Volmarias posted:

with no real story point, you can probably condense it considerably, especially if nothing really spectacular happens.

Thanks for the feedback! I'd been planning on finding a way to condense the action a little later (marking each kill with a screenshot on maps packed with enemies would be prohibitive), but I can start working on that now, too. One thing I was thinking of doing was squishing a handful of movement/kill actions into a single animated gif with a description of the action underneath. I'm working on the Drassen update today; maybe I'll try and see if I can make that work for the next game post.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's a function of AIMNAS. It's no longer just early game = all pistols. The early enemies are equipped with civilian and obsolete military gear, and almost everything the characters are carrying (with the exception of some of Fiona's stuff) is scavenged. The soldiers are just as well equipped as the characters.

Also, for anyone downloading the mod to play with, this version does strange things with the starting gear. Fi choppered in with an M24, a M4, and I think an M16, and Mike was similarly strapped. So as soon as they landed, I dropped all the gear except for a combat vest and pack, pistol w/ silencer, and first aid kit for Fiona, and pretty much nothing except the clothes on his back for Michael. Then, as soon as the battle was finished, I deleted that extra gear before picking through the loot.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Volmarias posted:

Wow, the map looks WAY better than the original JA.

- Fiona shoots someone.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Ira shoots someone.
- Dmitri gets grazed.
- Dmitri shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Fiona shoots someone.
- Victory!

Definitely agree with this, though the last update had the misfortune of the map being basically a bunch of tall grass with a road going through it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
.gifs could work well, especially if it's the same location and just militia getting their heads popped and stuff. Before and after shoots too maybe.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FiddlersThree posted:

Also, for anyone downloading the mod to play with, this version does strange things with the starting gear. Fi choppered in with an M24, a M4, and I think an M16, and Mike was similarly strapped. So as soon as they landed, I dropped all the gear except for a combat vest and pack, pistol w/ silencer, and first aid kit for Fiona, and pretty much nothing except the clothes on his back for Michael. Then, as soon as the battle was finished, I deleted that extra gear before picking through the loot.

Yeah, on my AIMNAS playthrough my IMP character started with a heavily modded Saiga-12K, plenty of ammo for it, and then an M4 carbine, and plenty of ammo for that, and a pistol with ammo, an expensive as hell tactical vest, a pack, and more leg rigs than she has legs. It's...odd. But I just can't go back to playing 1.13 with the old default maps anymore.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mister Bates posted:

But I just can't go back to playing 1.13 with the old default maps anymore.

You can just use the wildfire maps with 1.13 without any other changes - instructions on the wiki.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
As a side note, I've also noticed that AIMNAS replaces Enrico's 'complaining about lack of progress' emails with infinitely more annoying complaint emails full of all-caps and exclamation points from a completely random guy named 'Robert' or something. It does this for absolutely no loving reason at all - it literally seems like it's there for the sole purpose of making the game more irritating. Does anyone know of any way to replace those emails with the slightly less infuriating vanilla ones? I'm actually enjoying the AIMNAS item selection, so I don't really want to switch back to vanilla just yet, but would rather not have to read any more of these.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
this is a pretty cool mod for JA. I really enjoyed the original and have played through it multiple times. What's clear is just how much better Michael and Fiona are to your normal starting soldiers. I've had some many fights early on where you just can't hit a damned thing, even with some of the better soldiers that carry burst fire weapons.

Mind you, the increased number of baddies you fight seems to make up for this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FiddlersThree posted:

One thing I was thinking of doing was squishing a handful of movement/kill actions into a single animated gif with a description of the action underneath.

It's not a bad idea but just to warn you, the file size for the GIF is going to be utterly monstrous.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Where's the icon for Mike's awesome sunglasses?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Viola the Mad posted:

Where's the icon for Mike's awesome sunglasses?

Unfortunately, the sunglasses are hidden behind the gun info tooltip on the inventory screen. As soon as someone keeps a gun for more than one encounter, you'll see 'em.

New game post in 5... 4... 3... 2...

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
West of Drassen, Arulco
June 24, 2011 -- 1022 EST

As Michael picks through the bodies for useable equipment, Ira sits on the ground, holding her pistol in her hands.

“I’m impressed. You two held your own.”

“You know, I had never even held a gun before coming to Arulco. Now I’m a killer… I wonder what my parents would think.”

“They would call you brave and strong woman. You fight for right.”

Ira chuckles.

“Actually, I think they’d just call me a dirty hippy revolutionary. They weren’t even happy about me joining Habitat. I can’t imagine if they saw me now, packing a gun and ambushing soldiers on the road. Once we punch through the jamming, though. I’d like to send them an email. I’ve been dark for months. I’d like to let them know I’m okay.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.”

“The airport is actually not too much further, now. Maybe an hour, hour and a half?”

“Let’s get these bodies out of sight and get off the road. We’ll move in to Drassen at nightfall. For now, everyone get some rest.”

As the small group begins hauling the guards’ bodies off the road, Michael approaches Fiona.

“Fi, I’m going to need your Glock tonight. I need a silenced weapon.”

“Go ahead. Take it.”

Fiona draws the weapon from its holster and thrusts at Michael like a dagger.

“Take my .45. You might need a sidearm.”

(bitterly) “Thanks.”

“Fi…”

“What, Michael?”

“If we’re going to get out of this, I need you focused.”

“I don’t want to get out of this. That’s the point.”

“I can't make Miguel and the rebels leave if they don't want to. But if they insist on staying… maybe I can talk to Max and see if there’s anything the CIA can do.”

Fiona scoffs.

“If the US government was going to do anything, they would have done it by now. The rebels will be dead in a week if we don’t do something. Ira and Dimitri will be dead in a week. We help desperate people all the time, Michael. How is this any different?”

“Fi, this isn’t a problem. It’s a revolution. It’s way, way too big for us.”

“A big job is just a lot of little jobs put together.”

Michael is silent for a moment. Fiona glances up and sees Ira and Dimitri laboring with the bodies of the patrol.

“Come on, Michael. Let’s not make them do all the work.”

Michael and Fiona switch sidearms, and Michael loads the silenced Glock 17 with hollow-point rounds from Dimitri’s MP40. This will be a night attack, and with Michael’s Stealthy trait, we’d like to take out as many enemies as we can before the attack is detected. That means a lot of pistolwork for Michael.

Drassen Airport, Arulco
June 24, 2011 -- 2305 EST

“Stay close, stay low, and stay quiet…”

Michael leads the way, creeping through the darkness towards a small storage shed north of the main terminal building. The team hauls themselves onto the roof and takes up firing positions as Michael lets himself down the other side, inside the fence, and draws the Glock. He creeps forward to do his work.

Spotting a guard at the gate, Michael double-taps him, dispatching him silently. Another guard hears the body fall and comes to investigate. She meets the same fate.

Michael sneaks up and checks the windows into the terminal. It is surprisingly populated for this time of night -- perhaps they are passengers stranded by the Queen’s lockdown on air transport. It is clear of enemies at any rate, so Michael backs around a truck parked in front of the airport to avoid walking through the well-lit doorway area.

He spots an enemy in the security office. It’s one of the Queen’s elite soldiers, denoted by their black shirts. He may be elite, but his head explodes just the same as anyone else’s.

Over by the Shipping and Receiving building, Michael finds another guard and puts him down. Continuing his sweep, he encounters a guard patrolling the perimeter and takes her out. He takes the opportunity to reload.

Michael taps his radio.

“Fi, I’ve got a couple guards inside the gate area. Can you draw them out?”

“I think I can…”

She squeezes off a round into the tarmac. The noise of the shot alerts all of the remaining guards, who rush to investigate the noise.

Michael, sneaking up to the gate area windows, sees a soldier dash right past him. Instinctively, he raises his weapon and fires, dropping the guard but shattering the window and announcing his own presence.

A soldier in the maintenance building races towards the new sound and takes a bullet to the chest for his troubles.

Now, rather than running to assault Fiona, Ira, and Dimitri’s prepared position, the remaining guards close in on Michael instead! One of the elite blackshirts rushes Michael from outside while another tries to flank him from inside the gate. Michael, luckily, gets the drop on both.

“Fi, I’m hearing a lot of noise to the south; I think they’re getting reinforced.”

With Michael at risk of getting outflanked and overwhelmed, Fiona, Ira, and Dimitri leave their positions to back him up. Fiona and Ira make for the roof, while Dimitri runs to support him directly.
Michael takes up a defensive position at the corner of the building, and it begins paying dividends almost immediately as he explodes the head of a blackshirt.

Meanwhile, from the high ground, Fiona gets the drop on a handful of the reinforcing soldiers advancing on the airport. She unslings her Type 85 and puts a couple of small bursts into two of the enemies. Ira tries to put a round into the head of a blackshirt, but misses. She does, however, manage to get a killshot on a greenshirt approaching from the west. Fiona continues trading fire with an enemy taking cover behind a Dumpster. She gets the better of the exchange, but gets grazed by the soldier’s buckshot.

Back on the ground, Michael rounds the corner to find a pair of enemies sneaking through the baggage handling area. He puts both of them down, as well as another approaching along the side of the building, before ducking inside for cover. Dimitri follows, his shotgun up and ready. He pulls the trigger as another enemy comes around the corner, but the weapon jams! Thinking uncharacteristically quickly (for Dimitri, at least), he draws his .357 and fires, hitting the target as another enemy comes around the corner.

As Fiona drops another soldier outside, Dimitri pulls his trigger three more times, dropping the two soldiers in the baggage office. With the office clear, Michael advances into the baggage claim. Outside, Fiona advances to the edge of the roof, where she catches sight of another Royalist behind a dumpster and mows him down.

With Michael in the baggage claim, Dimitri turns around to find no less than three Royalists at point-blank range. In a massive stroke of Arulcan Army idiocy, none of them took so much as a shot at our stalwart rebel, and Dimitri frantically unslings his MP40. The weapon jams. On the edge of panic, he goes back to his pistol and fires twice, dropping two of the three enemies. Out of ammo and with both the shotgun and the MP40 jammed, he pulls a throwing knife and lets fly at the blackshirt. It goes wide. Fortunately, there’s a window in the baggage claim, and Michael sprints around and is able to make the kill and protect Dimitri.

With only a few enemies remaining, Fiona drops down from the roof and immediately spots one. She calls out his position to Ira, who makes a killing shot. Ira then drops down and spots another enemy cowering in the security office. Fiona jogs to the window and sprays him with her Type 85 (also conveniently hitting and destroying the lock on the door). As they try and track down the final soldier, Ira suddenly hears someone running at her from the north. Whipping around, she draws her pistol and hits the oncoming blackshirt with three rounds to the chest. He goes down, and Drassen Airport is secure.

Scavenged tool kit open beside him, Michael has spilled open the guts of one of the airport’s antenna and has done his best to patch in the laptop.

“How does it look?”

"I think I’ve just about…”

He taps a few keys on the laptop, and the small screen lights up with a VoIP client. Green text reads ‘Connected.’

"…got it.”

“So now what?”

"Now I call Sam.”

“Look, Michael. This was supposed to be a quick, easy job. I never meant for us to get mixed up in this.”

"I know. Fi--…”

“It’s just that, now that we’re here, I just can’t turn my back. I don’t want to be the person who walks away and lets Miguel and his people die. Not when there’s something we can do to stop that from happening.”

"Fi, I know. I’m not calling Sam for an extraction.”

Fiona is taken aback.

“You’re not?”

"I’m calling him for backup.”

A veritable bounty of gear awaits us after clearing the airport. Much of this is the same crap we’ve been seeing, but there are some absolute gems mixed in. Those two WWII-era M1 Garands are fine weapons that, with the later addition of an EBR stock, can actually stay competitive for a very long time. There’s also a semiautomatic shotgun (the SPAS-15), a couple decent mid-range rifles (the Saiga and the Mini-14), and a hot, sexy M1918A2 BAR. Sure, it may be WWI hardware, and it may only have a 20-round capacity, but slap a bipod on it and our ragtag group of rebels now has light machine gun support.

There is also some lightweight armor, some various equipment vests and pouches, some night-vision goggles, binoculars, and some weapon attachments that will be very useful in making the team’s new guns more effective. The tool kits will also be vital in maintaining the weapons to prevent future near-catastrophic jams.

After distributing the armor, packs, and gear, this is how the team looks. The BAR will likely go to Sam, and the Mini-14 or SKS that Ira is carrying might go to Jesse.

I’d love to hear any feedback any of you might have on the animated gifs. Do they work? Are they comprehensible? Does the update still feel too long? Should I keep doing what I’m doing, or just limit the action summaries to the high points/dramatic moments and go back to screenshots? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I think the gifs could be slowed down a touch, otherwise they're a great addition. Good update is good.

Also, those NVG's Mike was wearing. The price you pay for custom merc icons.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Personally I think the new gif/narrative summary/gif/narrative summary format is pretty awesome, and works just fine. It's definitely an improvement, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
This is pretty much Gun Porn: The Game.

And that is one of reasons I love it.

Will be following this.

• Locked thread