Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Well, It took me an hour before this game got just as unbearable as the first game from balance issues, Thanks for the beta~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forer posted:

Well, It took me an hour before this game got just as unbearable as the first game from balance issues, Thanks for the beta~

This is certainly not an uncommon feeling, the number of people still playing never seems to go up by a great deal considering that each week they release more invites.

Have they stated whether they are doing anything the make the game more newbie friendly? Actual matchmaking will help stop those pubstomps that ruin the game, but have they mentioned anything about a tutorial or something for the game considering that some of the mechanics will be so foreign to alot of people?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

God was a dream of good government.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Has anyone else gotten a massive FPS drop on Bullet Gorge? Downtown Spunky and Loco were fine but it seems with Bullet Gorge it just goes bleh.

There seems to be some particle effects going on with the fog in the canyons of Bullet Gorge. Sometimes if my camera is angled down towards the gaps, I'll get a momentary FPS drop.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Countblanc posted:

I don't think Combat Girl is broken or anything, but fighting all those cats is really unfun. I don't know why developers are still putting turret spawn mechanics in games.

It's very easy to look at core elements of other games and put them into your game without understanding the gameplay implications of them. I've said it multiple times - both the Medic and the Engineer in TF2 have a lot of fundamental problems, and rolling them up into one class is just not a good idea and is not going to be sustainable if they keep going that route.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Has anyone else gotten a massive FPS drop on Bullet Gorge? Downtown Spunky and Loco were fine but it seems with Bullet Gorge it just goes bleh.

Yeah, I have. I've even gotten two "ran out of video memory" crashes. That map needs to be optimized real quick.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Violently Car posted:

It's very easy to look at core elements of other games and put them into your game without understanding the gameplay implications of them. I've said it multiple times - both the Medic and the Engineer in TF2 have a lot of fundamental problems, and rolling them up into one class is just not a good idea and is not going to be sustainable if they keep going that route.

I'm hoping they'll come up with something that deviates from the Support/CG mold with future Defenders. So far, the basic weapon/skill layouts within a category have been fairly similar (except for the Enforcers, who get a bit more variety, probably because 2 original MNC classes got rolled into the same broad group), but there are really only so many varieties of "heal gun+turret" you can come up with.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm hoping they'll come up with something that deviates from the Support/CG mold with future Defenders. So far, the basic weapon/skill layouts within a category have been fairly similar (except for the Enforcers, who get a bit more variety, probably because 2 original MNC classes got rolled into the same broad group), but there are really only so many varieties of "heal gun+turret" you can come up with.

That's not true. How about a heal gun that heals 3 people, but they can only have a maximum of 2 turrets up? Literally infinite interesting possibilities!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

Come daddy, I'll show you the end-game!

Dr Mantis Toboggan posted:

This is certainly not an uncommon feeling, the number of people still playing never seems to go up by a great deal considering that each week they release more invites.

Have they stated whether they are doing anything the make the game more newbie friendly? Actual matchmaking will help stop those pubstomps that ruin the game, but have they mentioned anything about a tutorial or something for the game considering that some of the mechanics will be so foreign to alot of people?

It seemed pretty newbie friendly to me in terms of understanding the actual game, but the matchmaking seems hosed up. No bullshit, out of my first three games, 2 of them were against 5 people all with the same clan tag with paid pros.

Only thing i'm really having trouble understanding after my first 10 games or so is how the gently caress you're meant to play the melee-centric guys who start with 750HP effectively.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Commandos are opportunists. They can't lead the charge. You need to catch people by surprise, or pick off characters who are overextending.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FUCKING MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?!

washow posted:

Dang it I didn't get the credit for my last game

By the way, how much credit do you guys get per game? I'm like getting ~200 per game and at that rate, it's gonna take me about 3 years to get some decent products and some pros.

Heh, it really feels like that, but it doesn't take as long as you think, just do the math. If you play 4 or 5 matches a day you'll be able to get a pro by the end of the week. I guess that still might seem like a long time, but it works pretty well with the whole weekly protation concept; you have a week to play with pros for free and see which ones you like the best, and by the end of the week if you've been saving up you can buy your favorite to keep playing with him.

Well, for the cheap pros, anyway. The expensive ones are more like two weeks. However, the expensive ones are also more difficult, so they're usually not good choices for newbies anyway.

THE PWNER posted:

It seemed pretty newbie friendly to me in terms of understanding the actual game, but the matchmaking seems hosed up. No bullshit, out of my first three games, 2 of them were against 5 people all with the same clan tag with paid pros.

Only thing i'm really having trouble understanding after my first 10 games or so is how the gently caress you're meant to play the melee-centric guys who start with 750HP effectively.

They've been pretty blunt about the fact that what's in the game now is pretty straight-up not matchmaking at all, just a very basic game builder. They realize this is a huge issue, but skill-based matchmaking doesn't work with a really small player base. They're planning on putting a real matchmaker in 2 or 3 updates out from now.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Heh, it really feels like that, but it doesn't take as long as you think, just do the math. If you play 4 or 5 matches a day you'll be able to get a pro by the end of the week. I guess that still might seem like a long time, but it works pretty well with the whole weekly protation concept; you have a week to play with pros for free and see which ones you like the best, and by the end of the week if you've been saving up you can buy your favorite to keep playing with him.

Well, for the cheap pros, anyway. The expensive ones are more like two weeks. However, the expensive ones are also more difficult, so they're usually not good choices for newbies anyway.

Don't forget about the new prize system. Players will probably get a few endorsements/products they wanted for free.

KildarX
Oct 24, 2010

Worst decision I ever made.

Is there a general consensus about what endorsements to buy yet? I basically just filled up with speed increases and skill regens.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You didn't actually buy tier one speed endorsements, right? Those are default if you have nothing in that slot.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Which is bullshit, by the way. Invisible Speed Endorsements are nonsense, and should be deleted.

Thrill Cosby
Jun 4, 2005

Sputnik posted:

Which is bullshit, by the way. Invisible Speed Endorsements are nonsense, and should be deleted.

Why, exactly?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

KildarX posted:

Is there a general consensus about what endorsements to buy yet? I basically just filled up with speed increases and skill regens.

They aren't big boosts, so it's really up to personal preference. My favorite is skill recovery and if combat credits weren't an issue, I'd have a build with 12 aptitude megas/ultras and 1 extra for every Pro.

Beyond that, I like fire rate, critical shot damage (with critically late) and speed. I don't really like acccuracy as long as crack shot is a thing.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.

Sputnik posted:

I think it's supposed to lessen the impact of a completely new player playing against a vet who's completely decked out in endorsements. Even though you haven't "grinded", you still at least have a pretty good speed boost.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sputnik posted:

Yeah, I saw a dev in chat the other day saying they're planning on reworking that system.

In answer to the question of what type of endorsements to buy, level 3's are a decent thing to purchase in terms of cost/reward. Generally, you can reach the stat cap with level 3's with enough space left over to offset their negative with level 1's. Doing that with skill regen would be a very generic helpful build, yeah.

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

You wouldn't like me when I'm donkey.

I think my problem with Defenders is that it fucks up the laning phase of the game.

In similar games, you have to avoid damage because the Support characters only have limited protection against damage. If you're too sloppy, you have to retreat back to base and give your opponent the opportunity to get money and experience with minimal risk. This could even give them the chance to take a few shots at your tower.

In SMNC, you can easily duck behind cover and call for a defender. poo poo, you're discouraged from taking shots at enemy Pros since they can easily heal up and gain some juice off you.

I know there's other ways to heal up, but they come at a price. Churros and armor are random drops that you can't rely on. Regenitol costs money, and is particularly expensive in the early game.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

The first problem with an invisible +1.5 speed is that now, there is an inherent stat benefit to being level 100 over level 1 - a level 100 has every endorsement slot automatically boosted with +1.5 speed. The second problem is that +1.5 speed buffs are actually for sale, which would imply that they have a purpose (they don't). The third problem is that every other endorsement now has an invisible penalty of -1.5 speed.

I think that they should give all classes +20 speed and remove the invisible buff, personally.

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

Wait, the default speed endorsements only apply when you unlock the slot?

That kinda defeats the purpose of even having them.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

^^No, that would defeat the entire point.

Sputnik posted:

The first problem with an invisible +1.5 speed is that now, there is an inherent stat benefit to being level 100 over level 1 - a level 100 has every endorsement slot automatically boosted with +1.5 speed. The second problem is that +1.5 speed buffs are actually for sale, which would imply that they have a purpose (they don't). The third problem is that every other endorsement now has an invisible penalty of -1.5 speed.

I think that they should give all classes +20 speed and remove the invisible buff, personally.

The entire point is so that high level players don't just have a straight advantage over low level ones. They still have an advantage because they can choose their endorsements, but at least you have something until you unlock those slots. The first problem you listed is completely false, a level one and a level 100 without any endorsements slotted have the same speed endorsement bonuses. As you level up and fill them out, you replace those speed boosts with whatever it is you chose to slot. Really the only problem with this system is that it's currently possible to waste your points on the low level speed endorsements.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Actually, you get the full +37.5 bonus from the start. Leveling up really just gives you the ability to replace those L1 Speed endos with something else.

Edit: beaten, although I do agree that if they made it clear an empty slot counts as a level 1 speed and prevented you from buying them that would address the biggest problems with the current system. I'd kind of prefer if they revamped it so it was a little more interesting, though; as it stands I can't really find myself giving much of a drat about endos.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2012 around 19:55

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I'm the opposite. I pretty much spend my CC on endorsements unless there's one product that seems completely required (ahem, Hot Hands). I really need my 25% cooldown reduction.

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

Just a minor correction, but speed endorsements are not a percentage increase. It'd be a flat +37.5 units.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Just a minor correction, but speed endorsements are not a percentage increase. It'd be a flat +37.5 units.

Oh, huh. Pretty much all of the other endos are a percent bonus, though, aren't they?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Opposing Farce posted:

Oh, huh. Pretty much all of the other endos are a percent bonus, though, aren't they?

Some are, some aren't.
I believe that health is a flat bonus, as well.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Yeah, percentage health increases seem a little bit like bad news, especially on enforcers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

mumblecrew

feedtheid posted:

Yeah, percentage health increases seem a little bit like bad news, especially on enforcers.

Straight numbers are a percentage increase, just by another name. They're significantly larger boons on people with lower base HP.

DangerKat
Nov 5, 2009

I approach you from the front and you're kinda like "wow this dude's pretty serious."

Then I walk away and you're like "damn he likes to party. with two R's."

So my game tends to run a bit laggier when I have mumble going as well. I have reduced the quality filter all the way down but it didn't improve much. Are there any other ways to tweak how much bandwidth mumble uses?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.

Countblanc posted:

Straight numbers are a percentage increase, just by another name. They're significantly larger boons on people with lower base HP.

Um, this statement doesn't make any sense. A flat 10 health is, yeah, technically a "percentage increase" that is a variable number of percentage points on each class, and therefore calling it a percentage increase is completely useless.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Dr Mantis Toboggan posted:

have they mentioned anything about a tutorial or something for the game considering that some of the mechanics will be so foreign to alot of people?

I asked the devs about this, and they said that there "definitely" will be an in depth tutorial. They are working on it now, but they aren't sure yet how they would like to implement it.

Can't happen soon enough, in my opinion. The game is fun, if incomplete, and every weekend I see the same thing: a good chunk of the weekly new player crop basically saying "oh god what do I do" before having their team destroyed.

I have high hopes for it, though. SMNC is steadily and constantly improving. The weekly updates are really nice.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

I just met you,
And this is crazy.

I cut my wrists up,
So turn me maybe?

So I got an invite and booted up the game. I haven't started playing yet, but I intend to join the steam group and play in the near future, though I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the game.

I'm having some trouble with textures though. They appear completely black on some characters. Most notably the Wascot and Captain Spark. I've tried messing with the texture quality settings and nothing seems to work. I'm working with an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX and a 2.0 GHz AMD processor, with 2GB of RAM (This machine is...old. So it's possible it could just be an age thing) But is there anyway I can fix it? Maybe a driver update?

For the Wascot it's basically all of his head, and some of the outfit. For Captain Spark it's pretty much everything.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Macavity posted:

Um, this statement doesn't make any sense. A flat 10 health is, yeah, technically a "percentage increase" that is a variable number of percentage points on each class, and therefore calling it a percentage increase is completely useless.

I think he said that because those numbers modify your base stat, which translates to a constant percentage increase while you level, rather than a static boost that becomes less and less useful later and later into the game. So, in other words, even if it says "+10 health", it's not just +10 across the whole game, it's +10 to your base health stat which can translate to a number of different values. So, you could say it's more valuable to think of it as a percent than as a static bonus.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So I got an invite and booted up the game. I haven't started playing yet, but I intend to join the steam group and play in the near future, though I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the game.

I'm having some trouble with textures though. They appear completely black on some characters. Most notably the Wascot and Captain Spark. I've tried messing with the texture quality settings and nothing seems to work. I'm working with an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX and a 2.0 GHz AMD processor, with 2GB of RAM (This machine is...old. So it's possible it could just be an age thing) But is there anyway I can fix it? Maybe a driver update?

For the Wascot it's basically all of his head, and some of the outfit. For Captain Spark it's pretty much everything.

Have you tried validating the files?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

I just met you,
And this is crazy.

I cut my wrists up,
So turn me maybe?

XboxPants posted:

Have you tried validating the files?

Nope, I'm not even sure how to do that to be honest, since I've never had to. I'm updating video drivers right now though with something that was released on the 21st.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Right click the game in your Steam library, click properties and on the local files tab, click "verify integrity of game cache".

Anyway, after an update I had a similar issue except pretty much half the textures in the game were blacked out. Rebooting my PC fixed it. Have you done that since you tried playing the game?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

I just met you,
And this is crazy.

I cut my wrists up,
So turn me maybe?

Liberatore posted:

Right click the game in your Steam library, click properties and on the local files tab, click "verify integrity of game cache".

Anyway, after an update I had a similar issue except pretty much half the textures in the game were blacked out. Rebooting my PC fixed it. Have you done that since you tried playing the game?

Yeah I just rebooted after installing some driver updates, so we'll try that and then if it doesn't work I'll try the verify option.

Edit: Restarting worked. Textures on the mentioned characters look fine now.

Stealthed Zombie fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2012 around 21:44

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Pictured: Lara Croft

GUNAWREKIT

Been enjoying Gunslinger this week, so much so I Skin'd her up (heartbreaker) and bought a taunt (line dance). Even though I am rubbish at clicking character heads, co-ordinating with my friends to monopolise on a slow is absolutely crushing to an unsuspecting enemy team, and very nearly won a 4v5 last night by me roaming jungle clearing lanes and jumping on people to slow them while my team cleaned up. (We only lost when we hit 25 minutes and the jackbot spam massively favours the team that can spare people to clear them)

Also her Cone does *STUPID* damage - Throwing some early levels in it can make annihilator fights a nightmare, easily shredding people to an amazingly low amount. She is very rewarding to play, and I can see why headshot monkeys don't like her.

Rorus Raz
Nov 13, 2011

You're making me donkey.

How are you building her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Been enjoying Gunslinger this week, so much so I Skin'd her up (heartbreaker) and bought a taunt (line dance). Even though I am rubbish at clicking character heads, co-ordinating with my friends to monopolise on a slow is absolutely crushing to an unsuspecting enemy team, and very nearly won a 4v5 last night by me roaming jungle clearing lanes and jumping on people to slow them while my team cleaned up. (We only lost when we hit 25 minutes and the jackbot spam massively favours the team that can spare people to clear them)

Also her Cone does *STUPID* damage - Throwing some early levels in it can make annihilator fights a nightmare, easily shredding people to an amazingly low amount. She is very rewarding to play, and I can see why headshot monkeys don't like her.

Any protips on good situations to use gun flurry in that don't result in miss squishy mcgraw getting ground to a pulp?

«192 »