Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Use Max and show off how bad he got nerfed in later games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and vote Max as well. I know it probably doesn't matter for the next mission, but do his abilities affect his air units? I know they do in the sequels but I never bothered to use planes as Max in AW1, preferring to spam Tanks and Md Tanks instead, filling my ranks with like 10 Tanks and 4-5 middies and leading them forward in a death march that annihilated anything that wasn't chokepoint hell.

Oh yes they do. Air battles are even better as it doesn't have his main weakness.
Max from me too

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Roll over, Andy, it's time for Max power!

The first time I played through this game's campaign, I went in totally unaware of the branching paths. I'll look forward to how you show them off.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I demand maximum Max.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

AW1 Max is ridiculous and you should definitely use him.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm gonna vote against the tide and say Andy all the way.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Change your name to Max Power! (I hope somebody gets that joke)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Change your name to Max Power! (I hope somebody gets that joke)

There's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way and the Max way. The Max way is like the right way but with way more tanks. Also faster.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm tired of strategy for now, let's just go break some things with Max.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Wow I just read the first post and was surprised that you could get an S rank in this game. I played all the way through and never got a single S rank. This is after I completed Dual Strike with a "A" campaign rank. Now I feel bad and am going back to play it again :(

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Oh hey, it's a Paul.Power LP of Advance Wars. I loved your AW2 LP; voting Max.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
Loved the AW2 LP. Going to vote for Max.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Really I don't know why you left this to a vote Paul. Max is in fact, the right way.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Let's go with subtlety! Max to the max!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Might as well demonstrate how much poo poo Max could wreck back in the day.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

KDavisJr posted:

Really I don't know why you left this to a vote Paul. Max is in fact, the right way.
Because I wanted to do the Max path first for a few reasons (show off the new CO, a bit easier logistically if we do Max first, he's just plain fun to play as and I think it also explores the whole Grit/Nell/Max relationship triangle a bit more?). And I figured I'd be perfectly safe leaving it open to a vote because you guys would want to see Max too.

Cue dramatic late swing of votes towards Andy :v:.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I defy your call for a dramatic swing and cast my vote for Mr. Muscles :v: Let's see what AW1 Max can do.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I vote that Andy is the inferior path. Wait what?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Also, a heads-up: might be a couple of days before the next update. The buffer's run out already (figures) and I'm busy with volunteering the next couple of days.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Argh not this again! "Sorry guys, next updates gonna be a little bit late" *Next update is a month later*

Also I did like how all the different armies had a theme to their units, in that they're all loosely based off real-world units, I could probably name them unless you'd rather I didn't Paul.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

LordBaxter posted:

Argh not this again! "Sorry guys, next updates gonna be a little bit late" *Next update is a month later*

Also I did like how all the different armies had a theme to their units, in that they're all loosely based off real-world units, I could probably name them unless you'd rather I didn't Paul.

That might be a bit difficult, especially for some of the Yellow Comet designs. Prop planes with missiles on the wings? But that would be pretty cool.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

LordBaxter posted:

Hah, yeah, the AW2 LP did get pretty bad for that. Hopefully it won't be quite so bad this time, most of the AW1 missions are shorter at least.

And yeah, sure, feel free to identify the real-world units being used. Might get tricky with old-timey Yellow Comet though.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Davin Valkri posted:

That might be a bit difficult, especially for some of the Yellow Comet designs. Prop planes with missiles on the wings? But that would be pretty cool.

I always assumed that the Yellow Comet fighters were just Zeros that they strapped a couple of missiles to and called it a day.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Here are some handy sprites sheets, they are from AW2 but the units are the same besides the new Neo Tank:
Land Units
Air and Sea Units

It's also a nice touch that they even bothered to make the tiny map infantry sprites match their side too (vehicles look the same though).

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 21, 2012

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
The Orange Star and Green Earth fighters are, respectively, the F-15 Eagle and A-10 Thunderbolt(affectionately nicknamed the 'Warthog'). I am kind of amused by this, since in reality, the A-10 is a dedicated ground-attack craft that never does any dogfighting whatsoever, yet apparently in Eagle's hands it can shoot down air-superiority fighters.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's just reinforcing that Eagle is That Good (tm) with airplanes. Obviously. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well, Drake can do it too.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I've always liked the appearance of the Black Hole fighter. It looks more like some sort of alien rocket plane rather than a jet. The Yellow Comet Medium tank looks wonderfully ridiculous too, it's great. :allears:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Agent Interrobang posted:

The Orange Star and Green Earth fighters are, respectively, the F-15 Eagle and A-10 Thunderbolt(affectionately nicknamed the 'Warthog'). I am kind of amused by this, since in reality, the A-10 is a dedicated ground-attack craft that never does any dogfighting whatsoever, yet apparently in Eagle's hands it can shoot down air-superiority fighters.

Well, A-10s CAN be equipped with Sidewinders, but I have no idea if an A-10 has ever actually shot down anything.

Also, the A-10 is the BEST GODDAMNED PLANE. It has a GAU-8 Avenger built in. Oh, do you not know what's so awesome about the GAU-8?

That's how big it is. Here's the round it fires:

Yep. The Warthog is awesome.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 21, 2012

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

SkySteak posted:

I've always liked the appearance of the Black Hole fighter. It looks more like some sort of alien rocket plane rather than a jet. The Yellow Comet Medium tank looks wonderfully ridiculous too, it's great. :allears:

I think that the Yellow Comet Medium tank is based on a soviet heavy tank design, based on how boxy it is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Well, A-10s CAN be equipped with Sidewinders, but I have no idea if an A-10 has ever actually shot down anything.

Also, the A-10 is the BEST GODDAMNED PLANE. It has a GAU-8 Avenger built in. Oh, do you not know what's so awesome about the GAU-8?

That's how big it is. Here's the round it fires:

Yep. The Warthog is awesome.

I love how wonderful A-10s are and hate how no game seems to get them right. BF3 has come the closest but after they made it a dedicated anti-ground tank with a main cannon that demolishes vehicles. Yet after doing so much so good in a game with absolutely amazing sound direction otherwise they just used the same plane machine gun the air superiority jets has. It's utterly disappointing to get into the A-10 and instead of hearing the MINIGUN FART OF THE VULCAN SUNDERING ENEMY ARMOR you just hear "Bzzzzzz".

Also, I think my favorite Md Tank is the Green Earth one which has treads as big as the Green Earth light tank.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I love how wonderful A-10s are and hate how no game seems to get them right. BF3 has come the closest but after they made it a dedicated anti-ground tank with a main cannon that demolishes vehicles. Yet after doing so much so good in a game with absolutely amazing sound direction otherwise they just used the same plane machine gun the air superiority jets has. It's utterly disappointing to get into the A-10 and instead of hearing the MINIGUN FART OF THE VULCAN SUNDERING ENEMY ARMOR you just hear "Bzzzzzz".

Well, it's loving ANCIENT, but when I was a kid I loved Silent Thunder, a flight sim where you exclusively fly the A-10 and BLOW poo poo THE gently caress UP.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GrabbinPeels posted:

I think

It's certainly of a WWI-esque aesthetic, along with some of the other units, but I can't find an example to match it up to. Also I don't think your nationality comparison holds up, but eh.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Psion posted:

It's certainly of a WWI-esque aesthetic, along with some of the other units, but I can't find an example to match it up to. Also I don't think your nationality comparison holds up, but eh.

Yellow Comet's Light Tank reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT while Medium Tank is pretty clearly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliment_Voroshilov_tank.

Spoiled tank names because some tank geek could get spoiled or something.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SkySteak posted:

I really like the Black Hole design direction, making everything look cold and robotic without a human or viewport in sight. Their APC is practically a glorified borg cube. :v:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Banemaster posted:

YC's Medium Tank is pretty clearly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliment_Voroshilov_tank.

Spoiled tank names because some tank geek could get spoiled or something.

I'm quite willing to call it a KV-2 - http://www.wargaming.net/tanks/IMAGES/KV-2-side.gif

SupSuper posted:

I really like the Black Hole design direction, making everything look cold and robotic without a human or viewport in sight. Their APC is practically a glorified borg cube. :v:

I always thought it looked more like a sandcrawler.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Alkydere posted:

Also, I think my favorite Md Tank is the Green Earth one which has treads as big as the Green Earth light tank.

World In Conflict handled it pretty well. Of course my main use for A-10s was killing my own teammmates' Heavy Artillery because it just pissed me off so much that they could be repairing or using AA but noooo gotta be a huge waste of everyone's time.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Maybe the Orange Star APC is a M113 APC?

And the Green Earth recon is a Spahpanzer Luchs?

The Orange Star rocket artillery, especially the shape of the cab, kinda looks like a M270 MLRS...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm voting for Max because I really wanna see his path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's interesting that the Yellow AA only has one barrel.

• Locked thread