Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Argh not this again! "Sorry guys, next updates gonna be a little bit late" *Next update is a month later*

Also I did like how all the different armies had a theme to their units, in that they're all loosely based off real-world units, I could probably name them unless you'd rather I didn't Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

Hokay, here's a list of units to the best of my knowledge:
Have some spritesheets first. It should be obvious who's who.

Infantry:
Orange star infantry are based on american infantry, wearing the M1 helmet that was in use from 1941 to 1985. Mech infantry are armed with M20 Super bazooka's
Blue moon infantry are based off soviet soldiers, and wear pilotkas. Mech infantry use the RPG-7.
Green earth are wearing german ww2 gear, complete with stahlhelm. Mech infantry are armed with Panzerfaust.
Yellow comet troops are based off WW2 japanese soldiers, and also use bazookas, although from the looks of them they're the earlier m1 model.

Recons
Orange star recons are Humvee's, and blue moon use the GAZ-67.
Green earth recons appear to be the Schützenpanzer Lang HS.30.
Yellow comet recons aren't a copy of anything, but they resemble the soviet BA-20/BA-64 Armored car in the turret layour.

APC's

Orange star APC's are the M113 APC, while blue moon APC's appear to be a british design this time, the FV432, They look very similar but the tracks differ.
Green earth and yellow comet I'm not sure about, the yellow comet APC looks a lot like a soviet WW2-era artillery tractor though.

Artillery
The turrent and look of the hull front give the orange star artillery away as the M109 paladin, while the blue moon artillery looks very similar to the ww2 german Hummel (Bumblebee in german), due to the recoil system on the gun.
Green earth and yellow comet don't look like anything once again.

Tank
These are much easier, the orange star tank was apparently meant to look like the ww2 sherman, but it looks more like the british FV101 scorpion.
Blue moon is the t34 going by the tracks, external fuel tanks and hatch design.
The green earth light tank is a tank destroyer/assault gun, this one appears to be the german Kanonenjagdpanzer.
The yellow comet light tank looks like the french Renaut FT-17, but it's more likely the japanese Type 89 I-Go

AA
Orange star are using the M247 Sergeant york, a dismal failure that never saw service.
Blue moon appear to be using the much more successful ZSU-57-2
Green earth I'm not sure about, the chassis looks like a german panzer IV, which had several different anti air versions produced from it. A site I found suggested the Kugelblitz.
Yellow comet I don't know once again, someone sugested the type 98 20mm SPAA but I couldn't actually find a picture of it. The Type 98 was a widely used single-barreled 20mm AA gun and there was a version mounted on a halftrack so who knows.

Missiles
The missile launchers all appear to have been made up from scratch, couldn't find anything really similar sorry.

Rockets
Orange star's rocket launcher is a M270 MLRS with wheels.
Blue moon appear to be using the BM-21 Grad
Green earth I'm not sure about, could just be a truck with some Wurfrahmen strapped to the sides.
Yellow comet looks to be a japanese type 97 truck with some rockets on the back.

Medium tanks
Despite being called mediums they are much more like contemporary heavy tanks, particularly their tendency to be outpaced by the rest of the army.
Orange star are using the M1 Abrams, going by the shaping of the turret
the advance wars wiki claims that the blue moon medium has the turret shape of the T54/55, but they're wrong this time. The shape of the hull, and the fact that the tracks have return rollers are a dead giveaway that it's a russian IS-3 heavy tank.
Green earth once again are using an assault gun, it's got tracks that are similiar in design to the british Mark 1 tank, while the rest of the hull looks like the Sturmtiger
Yellow comet appear to be using the Kliment Voroshilov tank, specifically the KV-2 model with it's enourmous turret.

That's enough for the moment I think, I'll finish off with the air and land units in a minute, i'm all typed out sorry.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

The "plane built around a gun" joke isn't one. The design brief, along with outlining flight paramaters, payload, range and so forth, specified that it needed to carry a 30mm cannon. The cannon brief was seperate and listed the need for a 4000 RPM firing rate.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

Okay, now for air units:

T-Copters

Orange star copters appear to be Chinook's, while blue moon are using british Piasecki H-21's. Green earth are using the chinook as well, but there's some slight differences which might be either artistic license or an actual variant. Yellow comet are using the Bell HSL, which is actually an ASW helicopter.

B-Copters

Orange star are using the apache and green earth are using the hind as stated before. Blue moon are probably using a british design this time, the Westland lynx, although the shape of the hull is quite common among civilian helicopter designs so it could just be an appropriation. Yellow comet are using american Bell 74 helicopters, These were really only used for scouting as they were really light. In vietnam they experimented with using helicopters for fire support and put two m60's on one, the recoil of which actually strained the engine too much for safe operation. The end of that story is the creation of the cobra gunship, and of dedicated attack helicopters in general.

Fighters

Orange star and green earth are using the F-15 and A-10 as stated earlier. Blue moon jets look to be the french Mirage III jet. Yellow comet are using prop-driven aircraft in a battlefield dominated by jets, which is funny to me. It looks like a mish-mash of a couple of different planes, going by the japanese theme it could be the Mitsubishi zero with a more blocky canopy, but from how short and stubby it is I can't not see the Brewster buffalo.

Bombers

Orange star bombers are B-52 Stratofortresses, with only 4 engines instead of 8 due to sprite limitations. Blue moon bombers have air intakes that are really reminiscent of the british Avro vulcan, which was a delta winged fighter-bomber as opposed to a winged heavy bomber. Green earth bombers I'm not sure about sorry, yellow comet bombers also appear to be mashups of the B-17 Flying fortress and the Mitsubishi G4M "Betty"

LordBaxter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 23, 2012

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

GrabbinPeels posted:

The Green Earth bomber looks kind of like the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. Not necessarily the cockpit but at least the engines and the tail do.

I'm not seeing that at all, but that's just me.

Insert name here posted:

F-15

Whoops.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

"Hahaha, we just murdered hundreds of soldiers in a pointless battle, cya next time! (ciao!)"

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I hated this mission when I first played it. I picked max because I happened to really like stomping everything into paste and ended up being besieged at the two chokepoints. When I replayed this mission I chose Andy and I managed to do okay so that's why I think he's best here.

I don't think I ever actually chose Sami for a single mission in my first playthrough.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

Property capturing and infantry using is for babies, Max All the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

Max then andy. The debacle with the troops you sent to the north are definitely going to be made into an anti-war movie ala A bridge too far. They were part of an amphibious assault against a commander who specializes in naval forces, their transports were destroyed due to a lapse in judgement, they were cut off from any sort of support or supply and due to further blunders in leadership were wiped out.

• Locked thread