Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«138 »
bunnielab
May 19, 2005

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith

Saint Darwin posted:

No poo poo? That's about my handgun budget.

The gun shows around here seem kind of weak, but that's because we apparently have pretty strict gun laws (Maryland). Which is weird because I came from a place with literally insane gun laws (NJ) and this place seems like firearm paradise to me. The fact that I had to fill out (far less) less documentation to buy a gun than I had to fill out to get in-state tuition for grad school bowled me over.

And for a handgun permit, apparently I just watch a video, which the FFL can show me right then, and then I'm set?

I believe these days you have to do it online.

MD gun laws are pretty mild, the mag resections are easy to get around if you have friends in VA or PA. and the handgun list usualy just means we have to wait 6 months for new guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Operating Rod posted:

4) Marlin 1894 with Skinner "tactical" sights, rail, and a red dot

I like turtles posted:

The best options.
Agreedo. Skinner peeps look so much nicer than the XS offerings.

Stalin McHauntler
Jul 4, 2008

Operating Rod posted:

This one. Definitely this one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Operating Rod posted:

1) Single-action revolver

Both of these chambered in the same cartridge.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

Heh, I practically stole it.

I'm rather pleased indeed.

Walther Flare Gun.

They fire blued the screws! I saw one at a gun show and have been thinking about it since, it's without a doubt the nicest flare gun ever.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

This promotion couldn't have come at a better time.

Carbohydrates posted:

Both of these chambered in the same cartridge.

This is what I was thinking. Handloads in .357 could even share H110 with my M1 Carbine.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

it's without a doubt the nicest flare gun ever.

The Webley & Scott No.1 Mk.1 would like to have a word with you:

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

mikerock posted:

The Webley & Scott No.1 Mk.1 would like to have a word with you:

Confirming this one is way cooler and by now you should all know how I feel about THE BRITISH so this is saying a lot coming from me.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007
No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Operating Rod posted:

2) 5.45 AK (inexplicably, these are legal in Connecticut)

Assuming you don't already have a semiauto intermediate caliber firearm. AK's are a ton of fun and the 5.45 ones have more price-stable ammo, which for the last ~5 years has mattered significantly at times.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Gtab posted:

Confirming this one is way cooler and by now you should all know how I feel about THE BRITISH so this is saying a lot coming from me.

We have one in the museum and I want to put it out on display because it is loving AWESOME

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mikerock posted:

We have one in the museum and I want to put it out on display because it is loving AWESOME

Confirming you have the coolest job and even getting ideas shot down at work is loving AWESOME.

Seriously, have you ever done a "Let me show you how loving cool it is to work at this museum thread" that I just missed due to being a 2011?

Also, I want one of these two, but I'm not sure which. Local shop's got both of 'em...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sir, did you know it's illegal to blow chicken percent?

So the gun shop had one of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Now it's not what you call a "gun you can take to the range" but it was really loving cool. I knew what it was but I didn't know the details like "no rifled barrel." The guy at the store didn't even know how to really show it to me, but we eventually figured it out.

It was just so weird looking and obviously just a piece of junk, but knowing what it was for just made it so cool.

However, it also wasn't $450 cool

edit: Yes at $450 it was most definitely a replica, as it was also spotless. It still is cool as hell.

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

I've seen the future, and it has hooves.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Confirming you have the coolest job and even getting ideas shot down at work is loving AWESOME.

Seriously, have you ever done a "Let me show you how loving cool it is to work at this museum thread" that I just missed due to being a 2011?

Also, I want one of these two, but I'm not sure which. Local shop's got both of 'em...

Okay, look. Are you in KY or TN? I need to visit this shop.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

They also suggest you don't actually fire the reproduction Liberators, IIRC.

Right now I want this,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=285046119

Browning 1910/55 Renaissance. Those were factory engraved, and part of a series that included Hi-Powers

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=285102098

and Baby Brownings.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=285036682

Original price was around $500 for the set of three.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

My position is Curator of Weapons for the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives. Sounds impressive? It is a volunteer position. My day job is in a gun store. Museum work is mostly frustrating because you have to deal with committees, and a lot of people who don't know what they are doing but think they do.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

QuarkMartial posted:

Okay, look. Are you in KY or TN? I need to visit this shop.

I'm from nowhere. You can't have them! They're miiiiiine

I'm in KY, PM me and I can point you towards the place, keep in mind I get bulk prices, but the same guns are always there for anybody

mikerock posted:

My position is Curator of Weapons for the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives. Sounds impressive? It is a volunteer position. My day job is in a gun store. Museum work is mostly frustrating because you have to deal with committees, and a lot of people who don't know what they are doing but think they do.

Well, at least you get to play with cool guns.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yes, today I was learning how the action on an MG08/Maxim works.

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I'm from nowhere. You can't have them! They're miiiiiine

I'm in KY, PM me and I can point you towards the place, keep in mind I get bulk prices, but the same guns are always there for anybody

Oh, boo. I'm in TN. I'll stick with what I can find on the internet.

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

Saint Darwin posted:

So the gun shop had one of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Now it's not what you call a "gun you can take to the range" but it was really loving cool. I knew what it was but I didn't know the details like "no rifled barrel." The guy at the store didn't even know how to really show it to me, but we eventually figured it out.

It was just so weird looking and obviously just a piece of junk, but knowing what it was for just made it so cool.

However, it also wasn't $450 cool

edit: Yes at $450 it was most definitely a replica, as it was also spotless. It still is cool as hell.

What store?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sir, did you know it's illegal to blow chicken percent?

bunnielab posted:

What store?

It was a place in Fredricksburg, VA

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

I like the idea of a project gun - but I'm ignorant enough of the work required to fix the pitting on the frame/slide to know if this gun is a good base gun or not.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Juice posted:

I like the idea of a project gun - but I'm ignorant enough of the work required to fix the pitting on the frame/slide to know if this gun is a good base gun or not.

Honestly, that's one that should be left as is, at least in my opinion.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

The pitting isn't bad, I'd pretty much just reblue it so it doesn't get much worse.

Bet the barrel's a wreck though.

QuarkMartial
Sep 25, 2004

Reading Citizen Soldiers has got me wanting a Garand. PING

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

since we're talking
about primaries

I want a good set of files, including a rounded one, so I can fit my grip safety on my 1911 of turkish woe a little better.

Turd polishing == project gun

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I want a good set of files, including a rounded one, so I can fit my grip safety on my 1911 of turkish woe a little better.

Turd polishing == project gun

Get a set from McMasterCarr. Buy a middle of the road set.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

I need a dirt cheap used .22LR with a nice bore to tide me over until my 10/22 project gets underway. I will probably be able to locate one tomorrow morning. I hope.

If not I'll settle for an unissued chrome-barrel Russian SKS. Closest thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

[Tell] me about your 10/22 project

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

[Tell] me about your 10/22 project

10/22VLEH with the factory hbar and the better factory trigger, Rhineland Leopard stock, and originally I had sushi help me figure out a scope but now that I get a hecka discount on scopes idk which way I'll end up going. Eventually when I can outshoot the factory hbar and factory tactical match trigger I will replace them with a TacSol barrel and VQ internals but that's a ways away I am sure.

Was supposed to start months ago but bills kept getting in the way. Orders are being submitted on this at last starting next month and will show up with whatever shop order is coming in at the same time thereafter.

But in the meantime I need a .22 for a thing so I will try to track down one on the used rack with a nice bore just to hold me over

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.

I want a black 1911 with pearl and silver grips. I'll probably get the cheapest 1911 I can find and then put the most expensive grips on it I can find because guns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gtab posted:

10/22VLEH with the factory hbar and the better factory trigger, Rhineland Leopard stock, and originally I had sushi help me figure out a scope but now that I get a hecka discount on scopes idk which way I'll end up going. Eventually when I can outshoot the factory hbar and factory tactical match trigger I will replace them with a TacSol barrel and VQ internals but that's a ways away I am sure.

Nice! I dig the VLEH setup (especially due to my hogue fetish).

Let me know if you're selling the hogue stock, might be a fun project for me to put a shorty HBAR (green mountain, dlask, whatever) in that with a nicer trigger etc.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

by Cowcaster

Man one of these days I'm going to spend a small fortune on a 10/22 and it's going to be so loving cool

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

What do I want this instant?

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022D...heets/1133.html

That stock.

edit: Or this one.
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022D...heets/1297.html

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at May 15, 2012 around 06:17

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Now that Marlin is tits-up, I want Ruger to fill the void in the non-cowboy/slightly-modernized levergun market. But I don't want them to look like the leverguns Ruger has made in the past. I want them to look... y'know... "good."

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

priznat posted:

Nice! I dig the VLEH setup (especially due to my hogue fetish).

Let me know if you're selling the hogue stock, might be a fun project for me to put a shorty HBAR (green mountain, dlask, whatever) in that with a nicer trigger etc.

I am indeed going to be getting rid of the Hogue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The pitting isn't bad, I'd pretty much just reblue it so it doesn't get much worse.

Bet the barrel's a wreck though.

Sorry for ducking out of the thread for a while, but most of the cheap milsurp 1911 questions already got hit.

The 1911 in that auction shouldn't need any kind of rebluing or filling in of pits. Nothing visible there looks bad enough to be dangerous, and the gun won't start rusting again unless you store your guns in a garage or something. If you're really nervous about it, just keep an eye on it and wipe it down with an oily cloth once in a while.

Seriously, is there anyone here who isn't living in a climate controlled house at this point? If so I think you need to stop buying guns and get a decent heating/cooling system for your family first.

As for the barrel possibly being poo poo, welcome to the world of buying used guns. If the barrel sucks, buy a new one. 1911 barrels aren't exactly hard to install.

The real parts to worry about on surplus 1911s are the hammer and sear. If the engagement surfaces there are worn in a bad way you're just going to need to install new ones.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I want an M1 Garand is there a real difference between the service and rack grade?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

Ropes4u posted:

I want an M1 Garand is there a real difference between the service and rack grade?

Yes, there is significantly less wear on a service grade rifle, especially as far as the muzzle and throat are concerned.

I presume from this that you're ordering from the CMP?

A rack grade will still be a fine shooter, though, if you're mostly looking at just plinking at the range.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

what is a man?

Cyrano4747 posted:

The 1911 in that auction shouldn't need any kind of rebluing or filling in of pits. Nothing visible there looks bad enough to be dangerous, and the gun won't start rusting again unless you store your guns in a garage or something. If you're really nervous about it, just keep an eye on it and wipe it down with an oily cloth once in a while.

Seriously, is there anyone here who isn't living in a climate controlled house at this point? If so I think you need to stop buying guns and get a decent heating/cooling system for your family first.
I don't have any pictures of it handy but seriously if my Type 99 didn't rust after forty years uncared-for in a house with central AC, nothing will.

Pitch fucked around with this message at May 15, 2012 around 17:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pitch posted:

I don't have any pictures of it handy but seriously if my Type 99 didn't rust after forty years uncared-for in a house with central AC, nothing will.

Yours is that one that was picked up off a random beach in the Pacific and shows the effects that a few days of salt water spray will have on a firearm's finish, right?

edit: seriously, central AC basically makes rust a non-issue unless you're firing corrosive ammo through a gun. Museums even 40 years ago could only dream of environments as well regulated and ideal of preservation as what the average sock drawer provides today. It's really not necessary to go overboard with the rust prevention stuff unless you're putting something into long-term (as in more than a year) storage or have known issues with rust in the past.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at May 15, 2012 around 17:41

«138 »