Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirshb FP: 3

Jenny is sitting on the couch, sipping her tea when Hughes comes in. She gives him a big hug, looking him over concernedly. "Are you okay? El said that something had... happened to... you..." Jenny trails off as she looks at the newcomer entering the room. She was wearing flip-flops and high-cut daisy dukes with a short babydoll t-shirt that left most of her midriff exposed. She also had on a long, familiar cloak and had a sword strapped to her side.

Jenny let out a choking sound. It was complicated and went on for some time, before she couldn't take it anymore and started to laugh. Loud, rich peals of choking laughter. It took quite some time to subside. Jenny managed a "C-cole, you look ridic-" before erupting into a second round of choking, gasping laughs.

Jenny finally manages to stop, tears rolling down her face from the force of the laughter. "Cole, you look ridiculous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
JR - FP: 4

"Well," JR said, attempting to restrain a guffaw. "Can't say as I expected that. What the hell kind of thing you been up to, Cole? Did you lose a bet?"

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Rupert Singh - FP:1->2

Rupert, lazing back in a chair and reading one of the older tomes of magic slowly puts the book down as he spots Cole before shaking with a loud belly laugh. "You didn't accidentally put on a magic girdle, did you, Warden?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole FP: 1

"There goes the last shred of my dignity. Thanks Jenny." Cole crossed her arms and sighed. "It wasn't a bet, it wasn't a faerie, and it wasn't a magic girdle. I ran into a demi-goddess at that party who thinks I stole something from her. Which I did not, first of all, not that it matters. I've got a week to get her magic goblet back for her or this is permanent. Right now it's only a glamour, one that happens to make any clothes I'm wearing turn into Girl's Night Out wear."

She tugged the bottom of the shirt down. It was becoming a habit. "I wish I could put more priority on this curse but there's a few other things we need to worry about. Midas is the main problem. He's moving in on faerie territory in a big way. First of all, Summer Court isn't going to let that lie for long and even if we could let them sort it out between themselves it's going to mean a lot of innocent bystanders get hurt. I haven't gotten official orders yet, so we need to figure out a plan. Council is way less likely to stick their nose in if I've got something to show when they ask what I'm doing about this situation."

She looked pointedly at every single member of the group. "I'm pretty sure nobody here wants them involved. Oh, and I've got the petrified guy we rescued in my lab. Hugues has a couple ideas on how to fix him but we haven't succeeded yet. If any of you know anything about Medusa curses, we could use the help."

--

Cole bumps Contacts to +2.
The last shred of dignity.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 16, 2013

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Rupert Singh - FP:2

Rupert leans back, scratching his chin, before speaking aloud, "I might have something that could help get some people from Summer on our side, Warden. An old associate of mine, faun by the name of Tumnus, runs an orphanage for... special kids. Something kidnapped two of his wards recently, and he asked me to look into it. Long story short, JR and I found out they'd been kidnapped before from an orphanage in town too, but someone, possibly even one of The Knights, managed to save them. But there were clues left there, and, along with Jenny, we managed to get a licence plate for someone who's holding them with a handy scrying spell. If we save 'em, might make some of Summer's folk more likely to listen, aye?"

"Oh," adds Rupert, tapping the plastic sack with the rug at the side of his chair, "One of the kids was summoning something, possibly a demon. I brought his summoning circle, figured Master Elbridge might know more than us on the subject."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 3

While Elbridge takes a look at the summoning circle drawn on the bottom of the rug, Jenny grins, still wiping tears away. "Oh, Cole. Colette. Coleen." She manages to stifle another set of giggles, visibly struggling with the effort not to laugh.

With an expression Jenny has seen on many a cat with its fur rubbed the wrong way the Warden sighs. "Cole is my surname, which last I checked, doesn't get the girly treatment. If it becomes necessary... I guess Rachel will do for now."

"OK. OK." Jenny looks at Cole's new form critically, gauging his size. "Hmmm. You know, I have an idea. Come with me for a minute."

She heads out to her car, opening up the trunk and opening up the small suitcase within. Pulls out a plain white blouse and a long blue ruffled skirt, along with some white cotton panties. "Your clothes change into all that..." she waves her hand up and down, "this-ness. But I wonder if the same thing happens when you put on actual women's clothes." She looks at his shocked face. "Look. It's just an experiment. There are practical women's clothes, you know."

“Skirts aren't practical if I need to fight anything...” Cole grumbles. “Besides, you really think we're the same size? I'm still me under this."

"This is what I had in my car," Jenny says, "and it's just a set so if what I'm wearing gets dirty I don't have to keep wearing it." Jenny looks down, examining her own long buttoned shirt and sweatpants. "I'd offer to let you try these, but they're not exactly clean. And yes, I think they'll fit. Probably. We weren't that far off before, and you're still my height."

Cole nods "Okay..." They head back inside. With a quick glance into the parlor, where Elbridge was still looking over the demon circle, Cole accepts the outfit and vanishes behind a nearby door. A few minutes later she pokes her head out. "I uh. How do you zip this?"

Jenny looks up from the book she'd been reading, the one Roy had pointedly looked at after she'd knocked it off the bookshelf in frustration. It was a hand-written text, probably the draft copy of a book being prepared for printing. She'd been flipping around, looking for information on transformations, when Cole poked his head out. "What? Oh. Uh, hold on. This might be easier to show you."

It only took a minute to sort things, and when Jenny steps back to admire her work, ‘Rachel’ looks perfectly normal. Other than the bright red blush of shame. "Well, that's a relief. I think." Cole says, holding up the XXXL white T-shirt she'd been wearing. "See? Total bedsheet. Stupid curse." She flops down on an expensive, poofy couch, crosses her legs, and then uncrosses them, not sure exactly how that works in a skirt. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

Jenny takes a seat next to Cole, resting her hand companionably on his shoulder. "Look, I realize that this can't be easy on you. Or Ada." Jenny winces internally, trying to cover the slip. She probably shouldn't have said that. "What happened, anyway?"

“That… is a really long story.” Cole looks down. “So yesterday the Summer Court threw their yearly Mardi Gras Ball and well, most of us ended up going. For me it was work, I think the pixies ended up dragging Hugues along, Elbridge and JR were my backup and Ada got invited by the Rubeansidhe.” She blushes again, remembering. “Super formal, ball gowns and tuxes. It went sour at the end but I did manage to sneak in a dance with Ada before that.” A slight pause, a sad smile. “She Soulgazed me right there on the dance floor.”

Jenny smiles, exhaling. "Finally!"

"I know, right? Perfect movie moment, right up till I watched her murder someone with magic in the Soulgaze. Self-defense, defense of others, doesn't matter. First Law is the First Law, and she broke it." Her eyes raise towards Jenny's, but stop just short. "You should have had a White Council teacher a long time ago Jenny. Hugues could have suggested names, at least. But you can't do that... any more than Ada could, can you?"

Jenny felt her face freeze, becoming perfectly still. This was, of course, as much of a tell as any other reaction, but it was the best she could do at the moment. She lets the moment stretch out for a long, long time. Finally she sighs. "No. No, I can't."

Cole sets her sword, still sheathed, across her lap. "Zophiel told me something, after it was all over with Mel. He said something worse was coming, and I'd need all the help I can get. When an Angel tells you to lower your standards, there's probably a good reason." She tugs the blade a few inches free. "Spirits, even my sword is Lawbreaker made." She shakes her head and slides the blade back into the case. "All I can ask is don't cross that line again. Whatever it was. It'll be easier the next time, until there's nothing left of the person you were." Her eyes turned stern. "And I care about you, all of you, too much to let that happen. I am your Warden, so I better start acting like it."

Jenny nods, standing up and extending her hand to Cole. "Come on then, Warden. I'm not sure what to do about your curse, but I might have an idea of how to undo Medusa's." On her way past the bookshelf, Jenny flips the book open. By now the line is as familiar as it is infuriating. "Once the soul has been transferred into the the new form..." "irreversible..." "violation of..."

"...unless"

Jenny's eyes widen, and she quietly puts the book into her pocket instead of back onto the shelf. "Okay, so where's this statue?"

Bold is mistaya. Bumping Intimidation to +3 from +1 and then swapping it with Athletics, for a total of +3 Athletics +2 Intimidation..

RPZip fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 17, 2013

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 1

Hugues held back a little laughter as Jenny drags "Rachel" away, but his smile quickly fades. As hilarious as this is, they're going to need to get him out of that glamour before it becomes more permanent. And of course, just as we do that, everything piles on at once. Lovely.

(Invoking Seen a Million Faces to know a little bit about Tumnus.)

But as Elbridge was recreating the summoning circle, Hugues was concerned about the new guy's story. He knew of Tumnus, even if he never met them. In the first month of his new body Hugues scrambled about randomly trying to worry about everything, where to live was a large portion of that. He had once considered taking the orphan route and pretending to be a lost child for the Fae to pick up but considering Tumnus' numerous connections...that wasn't a good idea and he scratched the plan when he stumbled on a potion to grow up a couple decades.

Besides, who was this random old guy coming in acting like he knew everyone?

"Heeeey..." Hugues said, making his voice slightly higher pitched as he pretended to act his age, "Who are you? How do you know Cole?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
JR - FP: 4

"He was the one that noticed that my bullets had been changed - if he hadn't, I might've lost at the shootout. And he's looking to help the kids, so I reckon he's alright," JR says, defending Rupert against the faerie. "And if he ain't, well, I'd say we can take care of it."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"No, no, he is quite right to question me. As far as the young sir knows, I could be anything or anyone. Could be a liar, could be a spy, could be a relic from another era," says Rupert before leaning back and smiling slightly, "Though, I am none of those. Well, except perhaps the last one. I am just Rupert Singh. I met Cole a few times when I used to work for the White Council, and met him again when I ended up retiring here. At this point, I'm just trying to do some good, young sir...?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 1 / S: OOOO (P)/OOOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

"If we're talking about doing good, we should start with those children. Not just the kidnapped ones, but the others as well. There's no way there isn't some kind of hidden goal or catch behind that orphanage operation." Ada chimed in, her expression much more serious than it had been moments earlier. "Do we know what the kids' names were and why they were kidnapped? We might as well start there and see why anyone would try to take them away."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"They are two siblings by the names of Edward and Lucille Evans. As for the why...? They are gifted, magical talents, and perhaps that could be the cause, in which case there would be tales of more talents being kidnapped, should one look in the right place. Or perhaps, as the summoning circle and the presence of the residue of Hellfire could indicate, young Edward caught the eye of something... or someone, for that matter... of ill repute. I do not know, I can only theorise."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1

"Hugues," he said simply, with the recent conversation with Cole having him a little nervous to be giving out his last name to who felt like another wizard. Maybe he should have just gone with the effort and change his name a long time ago, even if it would have distanced him from his Name.

"Sorry about that by the way. The contest or whatever happened was probably my fault. But for the kids...do you think they summoned the demon, or the demon was summoned to take them away? Knowing which would make tracking them down a lot easier."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Initial Findings -Borrowing Elbridge for a moment.

Elbridge looked up from the circle and adjusted his glasses. "This will take time and a few artifacts I have at home to examine properly, what I can tell you now is we're looking for an 8th Circle demon- that would be the sin of Fraud, willful deception. But there's something... off about it." He shook his head. "It doesn't look like it should have worked, for one thing, even though it clearly did summon something. I can tell you that it was released, unbound, but little else until I get this home."

Cole looked thoughtful. "This doesn't sound like it's related to Mel, at least." she said, looking over at Ada. "Faun Tumnus is on the up-and-up. He works with the Fae courts and the Church, occasionally the Council too. Not a big power by himself but since he's pretty much dedicated his life to cleaning up after Faerie by-blows the Courts like to make sure he's taken care of. They wouldn't care about any particular kid, so if there's only these two missing, and they didn't have sponsors, no one on that side is going to help."

Then she took a few minutes to detail the end of the faerie party for Jenny and Hugues, since they'd missed all the fun, following up with what they'd figured out about the statue.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 19, 2013

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Italics is Mistaya doing Cole's responses, Ada is in normal text as usual.

Though the wizards were in the middle of a serious discussion, as Jennny and Cole came back in, Ada's smile briefly returned to her face. Looking at the latter, she addressed him, seemingly with total ingenuity. "I didn't know you were Scottish, Cole. Did you go full Scott, or leave it halfway?"

"Hey, he's the Scott." Cole pointed at JR. "I'm just wearing a skirt."

"And making it look good. Didn't you say you weren't enjoying this at all?"

"I've been through worse." She shrugged, trying to stay in good humor. "I can see you going through your closet in your head right now. The line is drawn at pink ribbons."

"In my head, or for your wardrobe for the week?" Ada asked, maintaining the facade of innocence. "Though talking about accessories has me thinking. I'm surprised nothing's turned into lipstick, yet. Given how the clothes changed, you'd have figured it was a given."

"I didn't really think about that..." she said. Right there, while Ada watched, the glamour shifted. It wasn't an amazing makeup job, but there was definitely lipstick, light blush, and foundation. Enough for a day at the office at least. Perhaps the most amazing thing was that the color was suited to the darker outfit instead of going for hussy reds.

"What?" Cole asked, as Ada reacted to the change. "Oh no... It didn't..."

"Richter?" Ada said, her voice now bereft of any malice. "You might want to take a look at the mirror over there."

"And...um...work on the details a bit."

Cole folded her hands in her lap and took a deep breath. "Well, at least this tells us how the curse works. If it's linked to my thoughts, I should have some influence over it." Her eyes darted towards the mirror and then away from it, and she shook her head slightly. "We should probably stop talking about it before it gets any worse."

"Right. We don't want to give it anything else it can use." Ada said, nodding. In spite of her agreement, though, she couldn't help but think about what she'd just seen still. The glamour had shifted in response to Cole's perceptions. If so, did that mean it could be reversed the same way, or manipulated in some other way? Too many questions had been raised by their exchange, but now wasn't the time to dwell on them. They had work to do.

"So there's a story behind this." Ada said, changing the subject after a brief pause. "Either this kid has a connection with that circle, or the door into this world was so loose that a good kick was enough to send it flying off the hinges. There's no chance what happened a while back could have made getting into New Orleans easier for the monsters below, is there?"

Transient People fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 19, 2013

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny puts her thumb into her mouth, biting down hard. Can't laugh can't laugh can't laugh... okay. Okay. I'm okay. Phew. Jenny takes a minute to smooth her face back out. "It could have been worse, Ada. At least you didn't ask him if the car-," Jenny says, before freezing midsentence. "Nevermind! OK. Missing kids, Greek curses and Mitsuo. I'd like to go talk to this Mr. Paine - whatever else is going on, he seemed off enough that we need to figure out what his deal is."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Elbridge Hardley - FP: 1

"Miss Hirsch, J.R., it's good to see you both again." Elbridge pores over the diagram of the curious circle, examining its particulars. "Yes, Wizard Singh, you were right to bring this to me. You're certain that a demon was called? Hrm..." He adjusts his spectacles. "Eighth Circle, to be sure, but the iconography is all wrong - none of these sigils could serve as a focus to shape a body for the fiend, and while the demon itself is clearly referenced, there are no symbolic links to Hell with which to bring it into our world..."

"So there's a story behind this." Ada said, changing the subject after a brief pause. "Either this kid has a connection with that circle, or the door into this world was so loose that a good kick was enough to send it flying off the hinges. There's no chance what happened a while back could have made getting into New Orleans easier for the monsters below, is there?"

"...that's it." Unheard over the din of the others' conversation, Elbridge repeats himself. "That's it! The circle isn't wrong - it wasn't a true summoning at all!" He withdraws a pen from his shirt pocket and begins to scrawl on the diagram, inking over some components and drawing in others. "You didn't recognise it because it shouldn't have worked - if not for the Archfiend's weakening of the veil, it couldn't have without a great deal more power...channeled through these inscriptions."

Elbridge presents the modified diagram to Cole. "The red ink represents what would have been needed to perform this spell in the absence of Mel's spiritual wound upon the world. Warden, what does this look like to you?"

Cole takes the picture and furrows her brow. "I don’t know all that much about demons, El." But the lines on the diagram are something else, something much more familiar. "Spirits... This is a Gate, isn’t it?" She looks up to the others. "It’s a type of portal, the distance through the Never-Never is so small that you might as well just be stepping from someplace in our world to another. These are rare Elbridge. A demon wouldn’t need one, not unless it had a flesh-and-blood body it couldn’t leave behind.”

Lore +-/+ +5 = 6 to understand the summoning spell. Spending El's accrued 2 SP to boost Athletics to 2 and Alertness to 3.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Priorities

Warden Cole FP: 1->2 (Lipstick was a compel)

"Well it's getting late. You guys should probably get going if you want to make that meeting with the social worker."

Cole looked down apologetically. "I have a lead on the chalice that'll get this curse taken off, and the sooner I follow up on it the better. I don't think meeting new people is all that great of an idea for me until I can fix myself, so I'm going to sit this one out. If anyone wants to come with me, I could use the extra sets of eyes. Afterwards, I want to get back to work on a counter to that petrification curse."

She stood up, giving Rupert a nod of the head. "If there's anything I can do to help with your investigation just ask. I've got a couple contacts in the police department, if you think there's any chance they might be on file." She managed a smile. "You know, if you're going to keep hanging around stop by the office later and I'll get you one of our communication pins. I can always use more help."

----

Splitting the party! Oh no! Finish up anything you need to say, next post will change scenes.

Team Visit Paine: Rupert, JR, Ada, Jenny
Team Chalice Hunters: Cole, Hugues, Elbridge

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 22, 2013

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"Cheers, Cole. You know, as Wardens go, you're not too bad," responds Rupert, nodding back at Cole, "Jenny had a sketch of the man holding what we thought was the kids, along with his licence plate. If your contacts could run those, it might be helpful. You never know what might turn up." Musing for a moment, he glances at Elbridge and adds, "Now that I think about it, I was never certain it was a demon. I just assumed so, due to the presence of Hellfire and the use of blood. It's a touch worrying if the hellfire was from something besides what he summoned, though."

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 22, 2013

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I'm going to stick with Cole for this one. I'm a little bit involved in this mess to, since I have to be the one to return the Chalice." Hugues said, taking a moment to look at a clock. The pixies should have been done awhile ago. "I can ask the Pixie Squad to help you guys out. Nidawi at the very least would be willing to lend a hand, she loves adventures and they probably can tell you where the car with the licence plate you're looking for is."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods at Rupert. "Something that uses Hellfire and isn't a demon isn't going to be easy to handle. I'm coming with you. I'll help coordinate with Nidawi about the license plate, too."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"I'm going as well." Ada interjected. "I want to know what's going on with thosee kids and the weakened veil. Plus, if things are as bad as you think they might be, you're going to need all the help you can get to track down Paine."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
JR - FP:4

"Well all right then, looks like we got ourselves a plan. Let's get a move on," JR says.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Very good, then. I suppose that I'll do what I can about all of these curses - really, Warden, one was already too many."

Going with Cole.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Let's Split Up Gang!

"Well, I'd rather look like a woman than a statue, which was the other option last night. At least this way I can help fix things." She shrugged. "From what you've said about this guy it doesn't sound like he's dangerous but he might not want to talk if you press him too hard. Go easy on him, if he thinks you're going to help the kids he'll probably come around."

She headed for the door, Hugues and Elbridge behind her.

---

Office of Brian Paine

It was almost forty minutes by car from Ada's upscale neighborhood to the old four story brick building where Mr. Paine had his office. A lot of the neighboring buildings were abandoned, but someone had bothered to repaint over the graffiti (probably regularly) and while the grass wasn't very green it was at least mowed and relatively clean. Someone was trying here, even if it was an uphill battle.

Rupert announced them at the buzzer and the door clicked open. "Top Floor." Paine said through the com, and that was all.

There wasn't an elevator, just an old wooden staircase. The building was pretty old and it looked like Paine was actually the only person still working in it. Of course, it was after hours now, but the empty desks and quiet halls glimpsed from the stairwell had that unused look to them.

The door at the top of the stairs creaked open and a tall, very slim man in a worn white shirt and grey tie peeked out. His face was thin and he didn't look like he ate or slept much. He adjusted the horn-rimmed glasses that seemed too big for his nose.

"Well, this is more company than I was expecting." he said.

There was a threshold around the doorframe, rather strong for a place that shouldn't even have one at all.

----

Remember That Time We Blew Up Mitsuo's House?

The Dragon Van parked outside the empty husk of Mitsuo's old office and home and Cole headed for the front door. It was still a big cement block of a building, but all the windows and doors had been broken and torn out by a giant plant monster and a horde of demons. The aura around the place was wretched, and there were still huge burn scars where no grass had grown back. The twisted hulk of Jenny's car had been taken away by someone, or perhaps it had simply disintegrated over time.

There was no threshold on the house. The place was void of protection, magical or otherwise. Cole poked her head into the dark hole of a front door and held up her crystal for light.

It was exactly as they'd left it. Old bloodstains and ichor from the fight dotted the walls and floor, the upturned tables and the blast holes from Mitsuo's magical traps. Cole shivered.

"We almost lost this one, didn't we?" she asked Hugues. "If Jenny and Ada hadn't shown up at the end..." She shoved a fallen table away from the door that led upstairs.

It was worse up here, because what had clearly been a home lay in ruins. Mitsuo had mounted a valiant and solo defense with Murray at the top of the stairs, and he'd nearly died for it. The tatami floors were shredded, the walls gouged with blade and claw marks from something much bigger than Murray had ever shown himself to be.

"Alright." Cole said. "It's about this tall, made of gold, ugly, and heavy. Start looking."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Climbing the flights of stairs, a large box of glazed doughnuts under his arm, Rupert raises an eyebrow at the potent threshold. He nods at the old man, offering his hand to shake, "Good Evening, Mr Paine. I'm Rupert Singh, we spoke on the phone. These three, Mr J.R., Miss Hersch and Miss duSang, are some concerned folks who're helping me investigate the disappearances. As I said earlier, we're wondering if you'd seen anything odd or unusual during your visits to St Mary's, especially involving the two Evans kids, Ed and Lucy."

((Rapport(+1): -//- +1 = -1))

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 22, 2013

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny looks at the weedy little man. The threshold and his slightly off appearance screamed 'lonely'. It also screamed 'desperate for company' and 'suspicious old bastard'. She was glad she'd taken the time to fix her hair during the drive over. "Mr. Paine! What a pleasure to meet you." She holds out her hand, beaming a bright smile at him. "We're so hopeful that you might be able to help us with this mystery. I'm sure that you'll be most helpful."

Rapport --++ +5 = 5. First impressions, best impressions.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 22, 2013

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Playing Nice

Paine straightened up a bit as Jenny addressed him. "Yes, well... It's complicated." He nodded to himself, as if making a serious decision. "If you give your word to cause no harm to me or mine, you have my permission to enter."

The office wasn't much to look at. A beat up plywood desk in front of a dirty window with the shades open, but it only had one chair for guests. There was a 70's green couch that looked like it'd been in good use ever since against one wall, and a toybox filled with legos, blocks, and plastic animals next to it. Several toys were set up on the nicked wooden table in front of the couch as if someone had been playing with them recently.

"I've got coffee, instant, if you'd like any. It's not very good." He didn't sit down himself, and he had that 'long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs' look in his eyes, as if he expected trouble. "The Evans siblings were different, and it wasn't the good kind. Bad things happened around them, and worse things if you tried to separate them. I'm almost certain that it wasn't intentional on their part. Ed could be cruel if he chose to but Lucy wasn't like that." He leaned against the edge of his desk, which wobbled. "I knew them for, oh five or six years. St. Mary's is where the outliers tend to show up."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Investigation -+/- +2 = 1...)

"I don't really remember this place very well. You don't happen to have any other chalices around, do you? Some divination would help speed this up." Hugues said, poking through some bookshelves and opening up the Thaumafridge safe. "Elbridge, any chance your cards might help?"

He spent some time staring at the various battle stains and destruction around the house. "I hope some kids haven't been poking around here, it'd give them nightmares. Do you think Mitsuo would mind if we torched his old place down?"

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Heaven's sake, Turner, you've two perfectly good eyes, use them!" Elbridge surveys the eldritch devastation of the office: hellfire scorch marks; Arachneigh venom spatters; fissures in the concrete from the vine-spirit; the impact crater from Miss Hirsch's Mitsubishi. It was here that the demon that had dragged him into this mess in the first place had been taken captive. "Besides, there's enough psychic residue from the battle here to skew my readings. I'd need a strong link - the more specific I can make the query, the better."

Sifting through the ambiance of demonic taint and mystical battle-scars, Elbridge registers the presence of an active spell. The power is out in the kitchen, as it is in the rest of the house...and yet, the refrigerator is still cool to the touch. He pulls open the door and looks inside. A simple bit of ice magic keeps the interior perpetually frosty. The contents are long gone, but a large, circular indentation in the ice suggests that this is where Mitsuo kept the chalice.

Elbridge closes the door, then draws his hand back in disgust at a horrid tactile sensation. The handle is coated in a thin, white layer of what was once slime, now dried and flaking. It's not just there, either; countertops, sinks, faucets, drawers, and cupboards are likewise encrusted. Pulling a face, the old wizard scrapes some of the substance into a glass phial and screws the lid shut.

A tiny wisp of white light hovers in the air next to him as he inspects his find; it puts him in mind of the leavings of the slugs and snails that infested his garden back in the old country. Tromping up the stairs to show the others, he finds Cole and Turner searching what must have been Mitsuo's bedroom. The term is ill-used - there is no bed, only an old sleeping mat, dusty from disuse.

But not dusty enough.

The dirt and grime are thinner on and around the mat, and judging by the depth..."Ahem," Elbridge clears his throat softly. "Someone has been here, and recently - within the past two weeks at most." He holds up the phial of dried goo and brings the wisp around for them to see. "Here, what do you make of this? Something seems to have been leaving it with its hands, or equivalent appendages."

Investigate +/-+ +4 = 5 to search for clues, Lore /+-+ +5 = 6 to draw conclusions.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Playing Nice
-Epic Combopost! I think this stands well enough that it doesn't need to be filled with bolds and italics, character segments are posted by their owners.

"I've got coffee, instant, if you'd like any. It's not very good." Paine didn't sit down himself, and he had that 'long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs' look in his eyes, as if he expected trouble. "The Evans siblings were different, and it wasn't the good kind. Bad things happened around them, and worse things if you tried to separate them. I'm almost certain that it wasn't intentional on their part. Ed could be cruel if he chose to but Lucy wasn't like that." He leaned against the edge of his desk, which wobbled. "I knew them for, oh five or six years. St. Mary's is where the outliers tend to show up."

Carefully placing the doughnuts on the desk, Rupert nods, “I suspect we know more about that kind of outlier than you could imagine, Mr Paine. Odd, uncontrolled occurrences are not unsurprising.”

Jenny crosses her arms. “Not that we have to tell you anything about that. What exactly do you do for these... outliers?”

Paine shrugged. “Whatever I can. Sometimes that means finding out what made them that way to begin with. I usually work with half bloods, quarter bloods, not so much your type. You think puberty was difficult as a human, even a magically inclined human, well, you haven’t seen anything.” He paused, thinking. “A lot of them have living relatives, they just don’t know it because their great grandmother was a Dryad or what have you, and reconnecting that family can help. Not always, some of the darker things are best not knowing they have mortal progeny. That’s the tough part. How to tell a kid his father’s still alive but he’d probably kill you if he knew about you...”

Jenny nods, looking thoughtful. “Is that what happened with the Evans kids? They had - familial issues?”

The social worker looked ill. He didn’t speak for a second, instead reaching into his pocket and pulling out a silver 5 cent coin. He flipped it, letting it land on the floor where it wobbled and eventually came to rest face up. “The worst kind.”

Rupert sighs, musing quietly, “One of their parents was one of Them? The foes of the Knights of the Cross, right?” He glances at Ada and Jenny, “This is bad. Very bad. A sane man would start running right now and not stop.”

“Luckily ain’t nobody ever said I’ve been sane, then,” JR said with a grin.

“I haven’t slept very well since finding it out, I can tell you that much.” Paine sighed. “This whole thing is my fault. I thought we were looking for a wizard, and not a particularly nice one, but we ended up figuring it out and of course, he knew and then things... got a bit out of control from there.”

“And that’s when the Knight of the Cross came and saved them the first time, right? But they’ve been taken again, from Tumnus’ refuge.”

“Sort of... The Faerie Courts aren’t going to protect a pair of human kids from one of Those and with Ed coming into his own power it just wasn’t the right place for them. Every other kid at the House was in danger as long as they were there.”

Jenny raises her eyebrows. “Sort of?”

“Skinner had them when Daddy showed up, and then the Knight got involved. I’ve never seen anything like that fight and I hope never to again, but when it was over, the Knight took off with the pair of them, and we tracked them to Tumnus’ House.”

Jenny pauses, noting the ‘we’. But she just needs to keep him talking for the moment. “Who or what is Skinner?”

“A friend of mine, he runs the detective half of things. I’m just a sensitive. I can feel magic but I can’t do it myself. Those wards you found were his... as was the Hellfire. Didn’t have time to take them down that night. We had to get Ed and Lucy out of there before you-know-who showed up once we realized we’d tipped him off.”

“Let me guess, young fellow, worn face and clothes, sharp teeth, drives an old banger and is hiding at an old convenience store? If that’s your friend, you ought to tell him that he forgot to hide himself from scrying,” muses Rupert, still quiet, while steadying himself with a hand on the desk.

Paine flushed. “Well, up until today no one had ever gone looking for him. I’m only telling you all this because you’re from Tumnus, and since we’re in the same business it’s only fair to let him know they’re fine.” He crossed his arms. “Though I suppose you don’t believe me.”

“Say we do believe you, though I find it highly odd that your friend uses Hellfire and is actually helping kids, this is still one of the worst ways to do it. They’ll need a proper teacher, if nothing else. And what if some more of Them start looking again?”

Jenny holds up a hand. “I know you’ve been doing what you think is best. For that matter, I’m sure you and your partner have helped a lot of kids. But if you’ve got a heavy hitter on your trail, you’re going to need backup. Backup who knows how to deal with demons, for a start. That’d be me.”

“They’ll never stop looking, sir. That’s why handing them over to Tumnus, or God forbid the White Council, is a terrible idea. Skinner knows how to hide people. He’s good at it. I don’t know how you found him, it’s got me a bit worried.” He bit his lip and looked down. “I’m a sensitive, remember? I know very well what you’re capable of, young lady.” Jenny noticed suddenly how the thin man held himself. He was just shy of shaking, and he hadn’t even been able to look at JR. “But there’s no one to fight now, and God willing, we’re getting everyone out in time.”

“Gods, no, don’t ever hand them over to the Council. Some of those Wardens are insane enough to assume the worst and kill them right there and then,” says Rupert, “Look, I respect where you’re coming from, but I can’t just leave without at least knowing where they are, so that if They do turn up, we at least know where to stop them.”

“I can’t tell you that because I don’t know. He changes safehouses all the time. We won’t be here much longer anyway.” He looked around the shabby office with a real expression of regret. “It’s not safe here anymore.”

(To Be Continued...)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Not Playing Anymore

“You’re gonna have to stick around a little longer, still.” Ada interjected suddenly. “At least until you stop dodging questions. She asked you about your friend before, and more specifically what he was.” Ada said, gesturing at Jenny. “Quit beating around the bush and tell her. Now isn’t the time to be withholding information, not when a big nasty is going around knocking down doors trying to get its children back.”

He winced when she interrupted, but instead of caving he just straightened his tie. His voice never wavered. “This is my home, miss. You are a guest, and I have said far too much already. The last I saw him, the big nasty was crawling away filled with bullet holes and missing two limbs. The situation is in hand. I am more concerned that all of you seem to think you’re a match for one of those Things.”

“The last time you saw that thing, you had a Knight of the Cross doing the heavy lifting and that still wasn’t enough to finish the job. What makes you think he’s going to show up again when the father comes back for Round 2? And what makes you think he’s going to return without backup? The barriers between our world and its own are weakened. If these kids matter that much, the next time Skinner meets the father there’s going to be a posse there to back him up. And believe me, there will be a second meeting.” Ada’s eyes became hard as she glared at Paine. “If we found out about him that easily, and we’re no match for one of Them by your own admission, it’s a given he’s going to be tracked down. And if you insist on ‘protecting’ your friend, his blood and the two kids’ will be on your hands once They’re done with him.”

“Are you offering to take them into your custody, girl?” One eyebrow went up above the glasses. “Because they’ll be on the run for the rest of their lives. And you don’t look like the type who does much running. Besides which, this is bigger than just those two. You have no idea what you’re talking about, and no solution for our problem. The more people know about them, the less safe they are. Do them both a favor and forget you ever heard of them.”

Jenny puts a calming hand on Ada’s shoulder. “Relax.” Jenny turns back to Paine, nodding at his statement. “Mr. Paine, my friend here is... upset. And worried. This hits close to home for her - please excuse the outburst.” Jenny looks down, apparently consulting a set of internal notes, before continuing to speak. “You said that the children were in Skinner’s custody when they were found by their father, and that afterwards the Knight delivered them to Tumnus. Why didn’t he leave them in your colleague’s care?”

At this, the man blushed bright red. “He wasn’t there to accept them, and I was in no state after witnessing a fight between Greater Powers. The Knight did what he thought was best, and I don’t fault him for it. It was a good short-term solution, at least.”

“This isn’t a short-term problem though, is it?" Ada said. "You said there were more...targets involved than just the two children we’re talking about right now. What’s going on? We’re not going to butt into your business without your consent, but if someone else ends up in a bad spot, we need to know how to react if we’re going to help.”

“Haven’t you felt it?” He looked surprised. “But... you really don’t know, do you?” He turned to the window, looked at the not-so-distant water of the Gulf. “Something is out there, not the coin-holders, not demons, not faeries or vampires or anything we’ve ever seen in our lives. It’s old and it’s mean and it’s taking people away. New Orleans isn’t safe for the gifted anymore.” He shook his head. “We should have left when they sent a Warden back to town. The White Council woke it up, they can drat well deal with it.”

“But if they don’t know what it is, they can’t prepare for it. It’d be sending like sending people to the slaughter. What is that oldness? What name does it have? What face?” Ada asked, worried.

Paine shivered. “There is power in Names. And if the Wizards are so dense to have not yet realized... But then, they alway were.” He touched a thumb to his chin, still gazing out the window at the ocean. “Fomor. They’re called Fomor.”

((Rupert Lore(+4): +-+/ +4 = +5
Result: "Lost a war with Faerie before the dawn of time, ain’t been seen since."))

Rupert slaps his hand on the table, “Are we to believe that some age old Fae tale has come back from the darkness to strike at the Council and magicians everywhere? Really, is that your best excuse?”

“Case in point.” A wry smile passed over Paine's face and was gone. “Think what you like, but my advice is to get as far from the water as you can.”

“Yeah, I reckon that ain’t gonna happen - I’ve never been the runnin’ kind,” JR says, looming. “And I suggest it’d be best for you to tell us what you know about the Fomor - can’t have dangerous fae running around, after all.”

“What I know amounts to a drop in a rainbucket. They’ve been quiet ever since the Fae nearly wiped them out, which was a long time before there was any such thing as human beings. They’ve got a bone to pick that’s older than our species. The Red Court was evil, but at least they knew what a human was. These things... they’re alien. It’s a different kind of evil, and I’m not sure we’re any better off than we were with the vampires.” He sighed. “If you’re staying, you’ll run into them soon enough.”

He turned back to the group finally. “With what’s already after us, I don’t have any reason to invent another enemy. Take the warning as you will, maybe you can do some good with it.”

Rupert scratches his neck, looking at the old man, “Say we believe you, as absurd as your story may sound. I still have one question - why was your friend, this Skinner, using Hellfire? As I understand things, Hellfire is generally the tool of those doing ill.”

“So is normal fire. Hellfire always destroys, but destruction isn’t always evil. I think you’d know plenty about that.”

Jenny sighs. “We do. And I understand that you want to preserve Skinner’s anonymity, but we have a responsibility here as well. I’d like to meet him, in accorded ground or a neutral location of your choosing, so we can at least verify that he is who you say he is.” Jenny holds up a hand, forestalling any reaction. “We’ve demonstrated the ability to track him, Mr. Paine. I would prefer a nice, quiet meeting so we can report back to Tumnus that they’re in good hands, and leave you to get on with your work. What do you say?”

“I’d say that this is a distraction we can’t afford right now and the accords don’t apply in this case. I’d say that a glimpse of a person in a scrying bowl isn’t at all the same as tracking him, and you know it.” He fidgeted with his tie, but no one moved to leave. “I can’t. I’m sorry. If you think it’s that important try to find him yourself. I’ll let him know you’re looking. If he wants to meet, you’ll meet.”

Jenny sighs again. “We came here as friends, Paine. It doesn’t have to be like this. Look, we even brought the donuts.” Jenny opens the box, about to offer him one, then frowns. “Feel free to explain what happened to all our donuts. I was planning on eating one of them.”

There was a very soft gasp and the door to the back office, which had been cracked open, suddenly shut. There was a click as someone locked it from the inside. Paine facepalmed. “Patience is a virtue the very young don’t yet have.” he muttered. “Now he’s never going to sleep. Gods.”

Jenny raises an eyebrow. She keeps it raised.

“Look, half-bloods love sugar more than your average five year old, if that’s possible. I said this was bigger than those two, and I meant it. We’re not leaving until we’ve saved as many as we can. This city is about to become a warzone.”

“Then we’ve got to help somehow. We can’t just sit around and leave kids to their fate.” Ada intervened. “Do you have a list of children who still haven’t been secured?”

“You... really don’t give up do you?”

Rupert chuckles, musing, “How do you think the Council got to where it is today, Mr Paine? Wizards are collectively the most stubborn, paranoid bastards on the planet. This lass just seems to have started early.”

Ada frowned. “How could I give up when there’s a chance someone will get hurt if I do? None of these children have done anything to deserve the attention of the Fomor except being born. It’s not right that they be taken away by some fishheads who tried to play in the big leagues and are looking for an edge to even up their score with the Fae. Put yourself in our shoes, Paine. How would you react if we told you children could be in danger and then refused to give you a way to help them out?”

Paine looked tired, suddenly, as if he’d finally given up. “There is one last case we could use a hand on. I didn’t have time to establish more than the initial meeting with him before the Evans case and I honestly thought we’d have to leave him behind. But... If you really want to help...” He tore a corner scrap off one of the papers on his desk. “Here’s the address. I’ll tell Skinner to meet you there, tomorrow after sundown. He’ll give you the details when you get there. And no, don’t ask for more from me. This is as much a test as anything. If you truly want to help, then this is how.”

Jenny looks at the scrap of paper, scanning the address. Interesting. “Thank you, Mr. Paine. We won’t take up any more of your time.” Jenny pulls a piece of paper from her purse, writing down Hughes cell phone number and her home phone. After thinking for a moment, she adds Ada’s number to the list as well. “Just in case anything... unfortunate happens, and you need backup. Good day, Mr. Paine.”

---

As the group headed back down the stairs, the faint sound of Paine’s voice was audible from above. “Matty! Those were for sharing! How did you get jelly in your hair...”

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

CSI: New Orleans -Yeaaaaaah!

“I don’t like appendages.” Cole said, peering at the vial. “Looks kind of familiar… Hmm.” She headed for the kitchen and examined the slime trails. “Yeah I remember this. We found the same kind of thing underneath the Harbor Master’s office, leading up out of that hole that led to Circe’s island. That’s not a coincidence, so I’m going to guess she sent Slimer to track down Mitsuo. It got here a little late, but it stuck around for a while.”

She crossed her arms. “If it found the chalice in the fridge then she’d already have it back, wouldn’t she? So something else is going on here. Maybe Mitsuo came back in time to pick it up, maybe Slimer took off with it instead of returning it. Either way, I think we need to track down Slimer.”

--
Investigation: /-++ +4 = 5

mistaya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 24, 2013

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Rupert is quiet until the group reaches the bottom of the stairs at the ground floor of the building. Turning to the others, he says quietly, "Somebody needs to pass the warning onto Cole. He needs to tell the Council that the Fomor could be back. Despite my own issues with the Council, I couldn't condone leaving them unwarned. Not if what Paine says is true. If they were attacked unawares then the consequences could be horrific."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Agreed." Ada said, nodding. "I'll get the message to him. Cole?" She said, activating the Warden Pin. "We've got news, big ones. There's a new group in town called Fomor, old rivals of the Fae, and they've been taking away people for their own ends. Paine said they were planning something big, it might be a good idea to call up any contacts you and Elbridge might have and tell them to pass the message on to those in charge. We're going to pick up one of the Fomor's targets and see if we can beat them to the punch now. Keep your eyes open and make sure the message gets out. We'll meet up with you guys later."

The communication over, she turned to look at the others. "What are we waiting for now? The clock's ticking, let's go to the address and get to know the terrain. We should prepare ourselves just in case anybody else shows up."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 25, 2013

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Warden Cole FP: 2 -> 1

Back at Cole’s office, Elbridge gathers up the ingredients for a scrying spell. In the absence of a decent reflecting pool, he avails himself of a stainless steel salad bowl, so infrequently-used as to have nearly a mirror-finish, and filtered tapwater. A little of this, a pinch of that, and the basin of liquid becomes sensitive to mystical energies.

It’s not much, but with a diviner of Elbridge’s calibre, a little bit goes a very long way.

With practised ease from thousands of cheap, do-it-yourself margaritas, he coats the rim of the bowl in salt to form a circle and contain the spell. Pine ash, eye of newt, tooth of troll, and a flower from Faerie complete the magic’s preparations, and a shot of absinthe completes El’s preparations for the headaches that scrying inevitably brings. He begins to chant in a low, sonorous tone, and the water turns to liquid silver.

The Warden stays mostly quiet during all this as El’s divination is by far the more advanced of the two of them, but when the water doesn’t coalesce into an image right away she shakes her head. “Hold on a second, I think I have something that might help.” A few seconds later a glass bell jar of definitely dirty looking water is produced. “Lake water, from Pontchartrain. That’s presumably where it lives.” A couple of drops and the image clears.

17-shift Divination thaum; 12 shifts for the scrying itself and bypassing wards/thresholds, 1 to up the duration to an hour, and 4 to raise the difficulty of detecting the spell. 5 + 1 shifts base from Lore + focus; Elbridge rolls Conviction to add "I Believe I Can Scry": --+/ +4 = 3, Discipline to add "Clear Water, Clear Mind": +-/+ +5 = 6, and Lore to add "Certified Diviner": ++++ +5 = 9!!! for a Success With Style and a Boost :hellyeah:. Cole rolls Resources to have some of the salt water from the creature's native habitat on hand: -+// +2 = 2, failure, FP to succeed anyways.

‘Slimer’ is definitely humanoid in shape, but he’s wearing a large floppy hat and a trenchcoat that obscure his exact features. He’s sitting on a rusty metal park bench, overlooking the water. Not far away there’s an ancient lighthouse, the once-white paint cracked and peeling. He’s alone, and from the height of the grass and weeds around the bench, the park has been abandoned for a long time.

Elbridge flicks the bowl softly, and the water within ripples as the perspective shifts. He surveys the target’s surroundings, scanning for others - in his experience, people sit on park benches either to feed pigeons or meet with shady contacts, and he doesn’t see any pigeons.

It didn’t take very long for his prediction to come true. A large, balding fat man in a dirty suit stumbled awkwardly through the tall grass towards the bench. Slimer waits, not bothering to turn his head, as the newcomer plops down next to him. The bench protests with a rusty squeak.

“You have it?” Chubby opens a mouth with too many teeth in it and licks his lips.

Slimer merely nods once, and hands a fat yellow mailing envelope to him. It’s not nearly big enough to be the chalice, this is something else.

Chubby opens the envelope, inspects the contents and frowns. “This had better work.” There’s a flash of gold in his hand before he tucks it away.

Slimer gives a noncommittal shrug. “Payment.” he speaks finally. His voice is deep and has a distinct echo to it, as if he’s speaking through some kind of mask.

“Yes yes, they’ll be brought to the dock as usual. Midnight again?”

The vision obscures, the magic spent. The water in the bowl now a dirty ash grey.

Hugues looked away from the bowl trying to think of where he saw that person before. “Wait a second...that’s the fat ghoul the night you came here, Rick. I never forget a face, especially one like his. For a while I had one of the pixies keeping an eye on him. I think it was Calfuray, the purple one. After we got rid of Mel I called off the stake-outs since pixies don’t like being put on the same job for weeks on end. I could see if she happened to keep an eye on the ghoul since then. With all that’s going out, it may be worth it to call upon the Pixie Squad again. Hope you two like pizza.”

(How many wizards does it take to order a pizza?

Hugues Resources: -/-/ +2 = 0...

Elbridge Resources: -++- +1 = 1.

Cole Resources: +//- +2 = 2.

Hugues attempts to save face by getting coupons from school: +++/ +1 = 4!!!)

“Yeah that’s definitely the ghoul from that night.” Cole agreed. “Oh, I almost forgot. We could probably narrow down the search field for Nidawi if we run those plates through NOPD.” She blushed a bit. “I kinda still owe them a few favors but I can probably ask... My voice sounds normal through the phone.”

Elbridge shrugs. “Let me. There’s an officer who owes me a few favours, and the fewer questions asked, the better.”

Cole rolls Contacts: +-+- +2 = 2. Elbridge tries the same: /+// +2 = 3 - his Contact-Fu is stronger.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods to Ada. "Let's get a move on, then. I know the way... pretty well, actually."

RPZip fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 27, 2013

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scouting Mission

Jenny's car pulled into a familiar, large, empty parking lot. The Audubon Zoo was closed for the day, the wide colorful gates abandoned and empty where earlier there'd been a large crowd of happy families. On first glance, there didn't seem to be anything interesting going on at all. Far behind the gates the sound of animals waking up for the evening echoed through the air.

You're currently outside the gates in the zoo parking lot, there's no employees in evidence. Investigation or Alertness will get you some info!

----

Cops and Pixies

Elbridge's favor was quickly called in, with a promise for a return call in a couple hours. The pizza arrived shortly after and there was soon a knock on the window. Nidawi pressed her face against the glass, her red light blinking tiredly. "Grum-py-paaaants!" She complained. Calfuray's violet light held steady behind her.

Both pixies tore into the pizza before they were willing to answer anything. "Been all over and over all again... No car with the letter-numbers, didn't see it." Nidawi sighed, sitting on the edge of Cole's desk. She seemed embarrassed about not having found the car.

Calfuray gave her a comforting pat. "No worries sis, no worries. We'll find it!" She crossed her tiny arms and glared up at the wizards. "I knew that ghoul was up to bad things, yep. Been watching him... well... sometimes... when I remember. What you need, boss?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny walked up to the gate, taking a look inside. It was past closing and the sun was setting over the parking lot, but the staff entrance was just around the side of the gate, tucked in between an overlarge live oak and the park fence. She tried the handle, frowning as she felt the lock, before remembering that the door never quite opened properly. It was never quite locked, and it was never quite open, but if you gave it a good hard kick right there and then jiggled the handle here it'd pop right open. She stuck her head in to the break rooms, her face breaking into a grin as she saw who was sitting there. Charlie was a black man shorter than she was, heavyset leaning towards fat, and one of the most persistently pleasant people she'd met while working at the zoo. "Charlie! It's been a long time. How's George doing?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
JR - FP: 4->3

JR looked around the area. Something about this felt off - he'd been feeling a bit off balance all day, and it seemed to be comin' to a head. And shouldn't there be more people around?

First Investigate result is a 1, FP'd on The Devils’ Right Hand to look for things that are wrong or dangerous, final result is Investigate +6.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"He's been making dealings with a slimey shady guy. Trenchcoat, stupid hat, the works. We want to keep an eye out for this guy, but he seems to be making deals with the ghoul so follow the ghoul for now. If he talks to Slimey, and we're sure he will, follow Slimey instead. Report back at night if nothing's going on.

"Nidawi, stick around for a bit, make yourself useful. We're gonna talk to a guy, see what we can find about the license plate, and figure out what you need to do after that."

Hugues looked down at the pizza, always amazed how quickly the pixies could rip something like that to crumbs. "And go easy on the pizza, or maybe save some for me next time. I can only do a book report on the Silmarillion once, you know."

• Locked thread