Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
For what purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Those USB secondary displays usually don't have any hardware acceleration whatsoever, so that probably defeats the purpose.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
To reiterate -- USB docks with displays almost always have a terrible powervr/etc GPU built in.

Docks which have "real" outputs from the onboard GPU have pcie lanes mapped or outputs from the GPU wired through, and aren't generally USB, even if they provide USB ports.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Fujitsu PR08 allows 2x1080p displays with 30fps video, I think it will support up to three 1080p displays doing office apps @ 30fps. They're hard to find now, as they're almost four years old

Lenovo sells a line of usb 3.0 port replicators as well, but I dunno how well they perform compared to the PR08

There's probably better options out there now. Doing full screen video on multiple displays is easy, so even if it is a crappy PowerVR, you should be ok? PowerVR typically has crappy driver support for linux though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evol262 posted:

For what purpose?

Pass through to a Windows VM off of a Linux KVM host. RDP or Spice is okay, but frame rate when doing stuff like YouTube is painful. There's also the bonus of having USB ports along for the ride too to avoid mouse lag. I only
need one 1080p monitor and a lot of docks can do 4k these days so oomph shouldn't be a problem.

Basically the dock is almost acting like a thin client.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I've been working on this all day and I'm sure I'm just in it so deep at this point I can't see the obvious solution.

I have a vmware 6.0 cluster managed by vcenter. On this cluster I am building a XenDesktop 7.6 lab. In Citrix Studio, I'm trying to add hosting to the citrix environment which will allow Citrix to use the vmware infrastructure for machine creation services, PVS etc. I'm running into an issue adding the vcenter server as the connection address for Citrix. Getting a message "Cannot connect to XenServer due to a certificate error."

I opened the vcenter webclient in IE on the citrix controller that I working on, get the typical certificate message, view the certificate and install it. Now I no longer get the certificate error in IE but I still get the error trying to add the vcenter server as a hosting resource in XenDesktop.

So does anyone know how to install a local cert on the citrix controller to be able to get hosting setup? In researching it there appears to be different methods but none have really worked. They also have been pretty complicated for installing a local cert for a personal lab.

Any advice is appreciated.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HPL posted:

Pass through to a Windows VM off of a Linux KVM host. RDP or Spice is okay, but frame rate when doing stuff like YouTube is painful. There's also the bonus of having USB ports along for the ride too to avoid mouse lag. I only
need one 1080p monitor and a lot of docks can do 4k these days so oomph shouldn't be a problem.

Basically the dock is almost acting like a thin client.

I'm still really curious about this. There are very large oVirt vdi deployments, and streaming video works fine... Something in your environment (network? CPU bound?) sounds very off

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I'm still really curious about this. There are very large oVirt vdi deployments, and streaming video works fine... Something in your environment (network? CPU bound?) sounds very off
can you give me a starting point for research, and tell me what VDI solution are these deployments using?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
There's a lot of customers with home-grown stuff which just wraps spice-vdagent or virt-viewer. The oVirt user portal is also used shockingly often, with in-brower (even in kiosk) guests with spice-xpi.

UDS Enterprise is an excellent solution if you need/want more complexity without touching the ovirt api to do it all yourself, though

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone used VMware Workstation 12? I've been using 11 almost daily for testing various Windows 10 pieces but supposedly they've made VoIP improvements to the newer version.

May anyone confirm?

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone used VMware Workstation 12? I've been using 11 almost daily for testing various Windows 10 pieces but supposedly they've made VoIP improvements to the newer version.

May anyone confirm?

I don't know what it was like before 12, but Google Hangouts (audio only) is not quite usable on a Win7 x64 guest with Workstation 12. It works, but you get intermittent crackling in the audio output.

Didn't WMWare just fire the majority of their workstation team? I don't know if you can expect things to get better in the future.

Edit: I forgot to say I was testing this with a USB headset connected to the VM. The crackling may or may not be caused by the extra layers around the USB hardware, I don't know if your usage scenario is different.

Hi Jinx fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 15, 2016

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Was anyone able to run a Win10 guest on a Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host with RemoteFX enabled? I know it's not on the officially supported list of RemoteFX guest operating systems for Server 2012 R2, but given that the 2012R2 RemoteFX driver and other VM guest components are preinstalled on Win10, it should kind of work, no?

Adding the RemoteFX adapter to a Win10 guest causes the VM to hang on boot, not respond to ping, etc.

Any workarounds (other than running a tech preview of Server 2016 as the host) would be appreciated, I'm otherwise stuck with annoying Win8.1 as the guest OS.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Hi Jinx posted:

Didn't WMWare just fire the majority of their workstation team? I don't know if you can expect things to get better in the future.

They fired the whole team and is hiring a team in China. Yeah, it is pretty bullshit, but you have to keep in mind that the actual virtualization wasn't being done by that team. The core virtualization team is probably 80 or so people mostly in Palo Alto, although we have 7 or 8 in Cambridge and now 7 in Seattle. This team does the CPU/memory, virtual devices, graphics, etc. We aren't really in danger of getting laid off, because we are the core of what makes ESX work, along with the vmkernel team. The workstation team did the UI, fixed issues for different hosts, and did all the polish to make it a real product. It sucks, because the core virtualization relied heavily on it to do their own development. Building and running WS is much easier than building and booting ESX. It also sucks because the people on the WS team we really good, and many had worked at VMware for 10+ years. I have heard that the core virtualization team is trying to pick some of them up, and hopefully that will happen.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

DevNull posted:

They fired the whole team and is hiring a team in China.

Oh man, I feel for you. I've been a VMWare customer since Workstation 1.0, and I've actually been to your Cambridge office a number of years ago. We were discussing a possible cooperation between my company and VMW with a couple of your managers and some of your team members on the West Coast via your fancy telepresence room. Even though nothing ever came of it, it was great to meet some of you. VMWare (and eventually your competitors, albeit to a much lesser degree) changed the world for the better - something every tech company tries to do, but almost none of them succeed.

On the other hand, I guess you've confirmed my own nagging suspicion that improvements and fixes to accelerated 3D graphics are not likely to happen any time soon. I never understood why it made sense for VMW to be owned by EMC and become public at the same time. Feels like two really bad things on top of each other, maybe good for "shareholder value" but bad for long term innovation. I don't really know anything about the internal dynamics though so I'll just shut up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hi Jinx posted:

On the other hand, I guess you've confirmed my own nagging suspicion that improvements and fixes to accelerated 3D graphics are not likely to happen any time soon. I never understood why it made sense for VMW to be owned by EMC and become public at the same time. Feels like two really bad things on top of each other, maybe good for "shareholder value" but bad for long term innovation. I don't really know anything about the internal dynamics though so I'll just shut up.
It's all kinds of weird and sad that VirtualBox supports DX11 and VMware doesn't at this point

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Hi Jinx posted:

Oh man, I feel for you. I've been a VMWare customer since Workstation 1.0, and I've actually been to your Cambridge office a number of years ago. We were discussing a possible cooperation between my company and VMW with a couple of your managers and some of your team members on the West Coast via your fancy telepresence room. Even though nothing ever came of it, it was great to meet some of you. VMWare (and eventually your competitors, albeit to a much lesser degree) changed the world for the better - something every tech company tries to do, but almost none of them succeed.

3D Graphics are a decent shape. It has a pretty good sized team. The issue is getting the ESX side of the company to realize that. So far, much of the push has come from the View side. They don't necessarily push it in a way that is good for virtualization though. They sacrifice some of the good virtualizaion parts for getting a "better" product out faster. Which leads to the nVidia crap people were talking about.

EMC was basically protection from Microsoft. If we didn't have EMC backing us, Microsoft would have tried to sue us out of existence a long time ago. Such is business.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What sort of claim does MS have on VMware IP?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Probably something about VMware benefiting from their hypervisors running MS produced OSes

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Methanar posted:

Probably something about VMware benefiting from their hypervisors running MS produced OSes

More like thousands and thousands of patents that can put you out of business even if you don't really infringe any of them. (Good luck trying to counter their "proof" in court.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Potato Salad posted:

When you have 30,000+ patents in your library it doesn't really matter.

mewse
May 2, 2006

To be fair Microsoft invented Hyper-V and vmware is a pale imitation

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PCjr sidecar posted:

When you have 30,000+ patents in your library it doesn't really matter.

Just a wide blunderbuss of expensive infringement claims?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Worked on Samsung!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

To be fair Microsoft invented Hyper-V and vmware is a pale imitation

Is this a joke?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Potato Salad posted:

There's a story about the dawn of the PC area.

Small startup gets a visit from a team of IBM lawyers. We noticed you infringed on our patent X. Interesting, the small startup says. Can we review these and get back to you? Followup meeting, a week later. Small startup says, We looked at the patent, and we don't use that feature. We've changed the way we do that so it's explicitly clear we're non-infringing. Senior lawyer says OK, pulls out a list of two dozen more patents that may infringe. Startup licenses, because IBM had enough patents and enough lawyers to find something that would stick eventually.

There are undoubtedly Microsoft patents VMWare is infringing on; thirty years of OS development gives you enough to draw on. Ultimately, everyone is infringing on everyone. The only defense is to have a big portfolio of your own.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

The other option is to do what Transmeta did. They bought a small company that several of their engineers has worked at and developed a super effective way to implement a TLB. Many of the engineers also left that company for Intel. They re-implemented the same TLB at Intel. Intel started going after Transmeta, and Transmeta pulled out the patent for the TLB implementation. Intel was much more willing to sign license for their patents at that point.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PCjr sidecar posted:

There are undoubtedly Microsoft patents VMWare is infringing on; thirty years of OS development gives you enough to draw on. Ultimately, everyone is infringing on everyone. The only defense is to have a big portfolio of your own.

Well, mutually assured destruction is a defense strategy, but most companies with a stable of patents try to avoid clubbing people with them unless they're blatantly infringing. Some nebulous threat isn't enough to sell out to EMC. I'd suspect it was much more specific.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

It's all kinds of weird and sad that VirtualBox supports DX11 and VMware doesn't at this point

How's Windows 10 Performance under VirtualBox vs. Workstation? Anything not work?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can I run VMware Workstation on a Linux system that has KVM enabled? I don't mean in parallel, but either-or.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Tab8715 posted:

How's Windows 10 Performance under VirtualBox vs. Workstation? Anything not work?

This is just a sample of one, but I found Win10's performance in VirtualBox abysmal. Everything works but everything's super slow. No problems with the same setup under VMWare. I had the guest configured for 3D acceleration, maybe that was the problem, but I'm not inclined to play with it further.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can I run VMware Workstation on a Linux system that has KVM enabled? I don't mean in parallel, but either-or.

You should be able to after:

code:
modprobe -r kvm_intel
modprobe -r kvm

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hi Jinx posted:

You should be able to after:

code:
modprobe -r kvm_intel
modprobe -r kvm

This isn't actually necessary, though trying to use KVM and another accelerated driver (vbox, VMware, etc) at the same time will deadlock the system

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Cool, thanks. I just want to run a CAD application in a window instead passed-through, but need some semblance of 3D acceleration. I'd be growing a beard to the feet if I were to wait for a Virgil graphics driver for Windows.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Luna posted:

I've been working on this all day and I'm sure I'm just in it so deep at this point I can't see the obvious solution.

I have a vmware 6.0 cluster managed by vcenter. On this cluster I am building a XenDesktop 7.6 lab. In Citrix Studio, I'm trying to add hosting to the citrix environment which will allow Citrix to use the vmware infrastructure for machine creation services, PVS etc. I'm running into an issue adding the vcenter server as the connection address for Citrix. Getting a message "Cannot connect to XenServer due to a certificate error."

I opened the vcenter webclient in IE on the citrix controller that I working on, get the typical certificate message, view the certificate and install it. Now I no longer get the certificate error in IE but I still get the error trying to add the vcenter server as a hosting resource in XenDesktop.

So does anyone know how to install a local cert on the citrix controller to be able to get hosting setup? In researching it there appears to be different methods but none have really worked. They also have been pretty complicated for installing a local cert for a personal lab.

Any advice is appreciated.

I feel as the thread's resident Citrix guy I should have responded to this already. I'm feeling really guilty for having not have responded. Did you get this sorted? If not, I should be a leader to give you a hand. If I remember correctly all you rally need to do is rekey your cert on vCenter, export it, then import it on your DDCs, but it's been a few months.

Also, play around with Provisioning Server if you get the chance. It's kind of the red headed stepchild but it is quite awesome compared to Machine Creation Services.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
At what scale is PVS REALLY better than MCS?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel as the thread's resident Citrix guy I should have responded to this already. I'm feeling really guilty for having not have responded. Did you get this sorted? If not, I should be a leader to give you a hand. If I remember correctly all you rally need to do is rekey your cert on vCenter, export it, then import it on your DDCs, but it's been a few months.

Also, play around with Provisioning Server if you get the chance. It's kind of the red headed stepchild but it is quite awesome compared to Machine Creation Services.

Or just setup a proper pki infrastructure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Or just setup a proper pki infrastructure.

I'm extremely upset that you said infrastructure redundantly, and I'm really not sure why.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm upset with myself

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
For the Citrix/vCenter SSL thing, just follow this guide: http://www.carlstalhood.com/controller-77/#vcenter

Usually when it doesn't work, it was tried through IE and IE was not launched as an Admin and didn't get put in the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone deployed vRA yet?