Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Michaellaneous posted:

So my boss really would like me to virtualize certain services (DNS, DHCP, etc) on a server.

Speaking from experience, if the DNS & DHCP are for your main network - which the VM host's management network interface is on - this can be painful because now there are more software layers that have to keep working for the services to start properly, and if they don't, "ssh really-important-vm-host.mine.com" to debug it isn't going to cut it, so now the VM host is yet another machine that you need to remember the IP address for rather than the DNS hostname.

It's a shame though because it's nice to be able to snapshot those systems too.

I'm interested to hear whether others have had better experiences in this area though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have had my AD/DNS/DHCP servers virtualized for about 7 years now, (across a few different companies) never had any issues.

Edit: Don't do this in virtualbox. I should read more.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Michaellaneous posted:

Nothing yet. I was going to use VirtualBox on Ubuntu Server (not my first choice but oh well).
As for services...well, standard. bind, dhcpcd, and so on.

Somewhat relevant, but I just completed a painful migration of bind and dhcpd to AD DNS and Windows DHCP for our company. Doing stuff in LInux on a VM is great until you grow from 75 peopole to 1000+ plus and have zero redundancy and backups for your core services.

So this is me telling you to have a plan for when that VM or host shuts down and no one can get on the network if they lose the lease, ie disconnected from wireless and trying to reconnect.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I mean, you can set up redundant dhcpd+bind with slaving very easily.

But yeah, core network services on a single non-HA VM on a single host is a bad idea. You'd unironically be better off doing this on 2 raspberry pis, since at least those turn themselves on as soon as power comes back (if you have an outage), probably before the rest of your infrastructure, and you can set up redundancy.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So as a way of getting familiar with AWS, what are some fun projects to do on free tier? So far I have seen Minecraft server, Asterisk PBX and roll your own VPN. I am not interested in a blog. Maybe I can use MapReduce to data mine my recipe file?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Michaellaneous posted:

So my boss really would like me to virtualize certain services (DNS, DHCP, etc) on a server.

My question. How do I best go about that on a non-gui server for non-gui VMs?

Server Core install on ESXi.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Server Core install on ESXi.

I am working for a Universty of applied science, this testbed is only for a few students and projects, no major company.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Situation: I plan to have a linux xen dom0 on a 240gb msata ssd. I have an existing windows 10 installation that's sitting on a separate 512gb sata ssd. Once I get the dom0 set up, is it at all doable to get that existing win 10 installation on a xen domU? I have some experience with xen in an enterprise setting but I wanted to tool around at home, I don't think I've ever seen a whole OS migration in place, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hambilderberglar posted:

Situation: I plan to have a linux xen dom0 on a 240gb msata ssd. I have an existing windows 10 installation that's sitting on a separate 512gb sata ssd. Once I get the dom0 set up, is it at all doable to get that existing win 10 installation on a xen domU? I have some experience with xen in an enterprise setting but I wanted to tool around at home, I don't think I've ever seen a whole OS migration in place, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

Starting with Vista Windows has gotten a lot better at handling major hardware changes. 8 and up even have an official bootable "Live USB" mode in their enterprise editions which in theory will run on any compatible PC from a single install.

You should be able to just image the install, or possibly (I'm not familiar with Xen) even pass through the drive/partition directly, and it should boot. You'll probably want to download the drivers you'll need to the system first and it'll almost definitely trigger a Windows reactivation, but it should work overall.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Michaellaneous posted:

I am working for a Universty of applied science, this testbed is only for a few students and projects, no major company.

Scope of a project is always important. lol. We just assumed it was for a bigger install.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

I would still use ESXi in that situation, but use whatever *nix you want.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Really can't go wrong with free ESXi for this. Super simple to use as well.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hambilderberglar posted:

Yes, and you can use the raw disk, assuming it has a bootloader.

If not, you'll need to create an external disk and wedge a bootloader onto it, then you can use the raw disk.

If you don't want to use a raw disk, you'll want to shrink the NTFS partition as much as possible, dd it to a raw disk image, and go from there (convert to qcow, use as-is, whatever)

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

evol262 posted:

Yes, and you can use the raw disk, assuming it has a bootloader.
Yeah, the plan was just to have a dual boot windows/linux setup until I sort my xen out, and instead of dual booting once done, just spin up the domU. Didn't realise I could use the raw disk too, that's helpful! Thanks a lot. If you have experience doing this, do you have any good literature available or is it all able to be pieced together from wiki.xen.org and the usual suspects?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Are you using Xenserver or libvirt?

I'd also advise against using a "boot into this using a raw disk sometimes and dual boot sometimes" setup, because Windows activation doesn't like that

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

evol262 posted:

Are you using Xenserver or libvirt?

I'd also advise against using a "boot into this using a raw disk sometimes and dual boot sometimes" setup, because Windows activation doesn't like that
I believe it's using libxl. And the dualbooting will only last as long as it takes me to figure out how to get it running smoothly. Once it does, it'll exclusively be booted as a domU. I know windows can get a little pissy but hopefully a call to microsoft will have me sorted out when I make the switch.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Is this Linux, or plain xenserver?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

evol262 posted:

Is this Linux, or plain xenserver?
Sorry, I might not have been clear, it's gentoo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Ok.

In that case, there's almost no reason not to use KVM, but if you prefer Xen for whatever reason, that works.

I'd strongly recommend using libvirt (which interacts with libxenlight behind the scenes anyway) unless you have a reason not to.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

evol262 posted:

Ok.

In that case, there's almost no reason not to use KVM, but if you prefer Xen for whatever reason, that works.

I'd strongly recommend using libvirt (which interacts with libxenlight behind the scenes anyway) unless you have a reason not to.

I'm open to using KVM. I'm saying xen right now based on the fact that I have a little experience with it, and there's a relative abundance of literature on the whole "vga passthrough for gaming in a vm" gimmick. If KVM does that (or better) or there are other advantages I'm not seeing now, I'm all ears :)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Passthrough is passthrough in many ways

KVM also does this if your hardware supports iommu (Xen probably has the same requirement). There are multiple users in this thread who have working passthrough for gaming.

In general, the primary advantage of KVM is that VMs are plain processes. If you like Xen better, nothing wrong with that. But libvirt is much nicer than libxenlight in many ways, whether Xen or KVM

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

evol262 posted:

I wonder how Parallels and VMware Fusion handle this. I guess maybe the fact that Macs have a limited range of hardware might make it easier to present a similar enough system to Windows to keep activation happy.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I would guess that they present some DMI/ACPI bits from the host to the guest, and probably the actual CPU info instead of a virtual type which doesn't match exactly.

You can do this in Xen/KVM as well, but it's a bit more work.

I don't know what flags reactivation now. It used to be a counter which triggered if so many pieces of hardware were changed (GPU, CPU, motherboard UUID, hard drive serial #), each with some kind of weighting score that Microsoft never publicized, and may still be.

Passing this through to the guest probably gets past this. Parallels may work directly with Microsoft, too, to get some kind of exception. But repeatedly rebooting and watching the CPU/motherboard UUID change as you flip between virtualizing and physical boots is likely still going to get you flagged.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Finally decided to start pulling the ripcord and begin the conversion from Nutanix CE to ESX. Migrated all VMs off of one node and removed said node, only to have one of the three remaining nodes immediately go tits up.

Logged into the CVM to find this:

Wasn't responding, so I force rebooted that node to get nothing but a blinking cursor after POST. From looking at one of my other boxes sdb would be the first spindle. Kind of pissed off that Nutanix would log block errors to console but not, y'know, actually alert you that something's not kosher. Hopefully the issue isn't with the drive controller.

Edit: ended up being the USB system drive. Forcefully evicted the node from the cluster, currently installing ESX on it using a replacement USB drive.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 25, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Does it support redundant USB media for boot? I'm doing dual-sd card boots on my current Dell hardware for VMware.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I switched from USB to dual SD cards in my Dell servers as well.

I have had a few thumbdrives fail over the past 5 years, but it never causes any real issues. ESXi will keep chugging along out of memory. Trying to mount the VMware tools installer will fail, and then it will fail upon reboot. Never had any big issues with a boot USB drive failing though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We've got dual sd's in our hosts and it owns.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same. Dual SD cards in the hosts, flash cards on the iDRAC (wish they'd fix the 2GB limitation for virtual media though), 'cheap' RAID1 SSDs in case we need the space in an "oh poo poo" moment. And the new HTML5 iDRAC firmware :dance:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Does it support redundant USB media for boot? I'm doing dual-sd card boots on my current Dell hardware for VMware.

I don't believe it does. This is the four x9 based nodes in one 2U box form factor. I''ll probably get some SATADOMs and migrate to that as part of the ESX rodeo.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Same. Dual SD cards in the hosts, flash cards on the iDRAC (wish they'd fix the 2GB limitation for virtual media though), 'cheap' RAID1 SSDs in case we need the space in an "oh poo poo" moment. And the new HTML5 iDRAC firmware :dance:

I wish the HTML5 console still had the "next boot" selection option, missing it and mashing an f key on a virtual keyboard stinks.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I wish the HTML5 console still had the "next boot" selection option, missing it and mashing an f key on a virtual keyboard stinks.

This is a pretty simple thing to request. I'll try to find the right people and pass it along to them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

What are you using the iDRAC SD cards for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They cost very little to add onto the iDRAC Enterprise option, and can store an ESXi installer image.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

They cost very little to add onto the iDRAC Enterprise option, and can store an ESXi installer image.

Ah yeah, I have not even bothered since I just install media via the iDRAC virtual console.

Do they lock you to Dell branded SD cards?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nope, you can use anything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well neat, maybe I will shove some SD cards in there.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have a little problem. I run virtualbox headless on my ubuntu server. Made a nice VM, bridged, connected the cable, but neither my Host nor my Guest can communicate with others?

Anything I might have missed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there anything available for the iPad to manage vSphere that's actually worth using? I can probably use VCSA HTML5 but I'd still need VMRC somehow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, I have a failed NFS datastore but can't remove it because it's "in use". Is there any esxcli which will show me what VMs are actually bound to that datastore or do I have to dig through my entire setup? :(

edit: vim-cmd hostsvc/datastore/listvm seemed to give me the vmid that was causing the problem.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Is there anything available for the iPad to manage vSphere that's actually worth using? I can probably use VCSA HTML5 but I'd still need VMRC somehow.

I have no idea if there are any native apps, but maybe remote desktop to a machine running vSphere Client would work?

Martytoof posted:

Also, I have a failed NFS datastore but can't remove it because it's "in use". Is there any esxcli which will show me what VMs are actually bound to that datastore or do I have to dig through my entire setup? :(

edit: vim-cmd hostsvc/datastore/listvm seemed to give me the vmid that was causing the problem.

On vCenter 5.5, the web client seems to do a reasonable job of showing which VMs are using a data store in the "related objects" view if you weren't specifically after a CLI. Note that sometimes VMs show up there due to a snapshot referring to the data store even if it's not actually in use right now, I can't remember if that prevents unmounting the data store.