Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This might be beyond the scope of this thread, but hopefully there is a sysadmin that can help me out.

I need to create an OEM build of a virtualized environment for surveillance recording servers.

Here is the setup:

1 physical server running 5 VMs with Windows Server 2012 OEM. 4 of the VMs will be running Milestone Professional recording software, and 1 VM will be running management tools. We prefer to use HyperV for this, but can use something else if we need to.

When everything is set up, we need to run Sysprep in such a way that the entire system is ready for OEM distribution, and the end user only needs to boot the server and set up user names and passwords for the VMs.

The Milestone and management softwares need to be pre-installed on the OEM image and ready to go.

Nobody at my company has experience with this, and we've reached out to Microsoft, Dell (the manufacturer of the servers), and every resource we can think of, and they've all come back without answers.

Does anyone know how to tackle something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Are you trying to make something along the lines of a Virtual appliance?

No, this is shipping on physical servers. They just have to be pre configured with the correct VMs and applications.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erwin posted:

I'd like to think that you're shipping it on physical servers so you can keep tight control over the environment it lives in, but the skeptic in me knows you just want 1500% margin on the hardware.

edit: by you I mean your company, not you specifically.

We're shipping it on physical servers because this is designed to be a stand-alone appliance "bundle" with predetermined hardware so the customer doesn't have to go through the trouble of setting it up themselves. We already sell the software by itself - it's just Milestone XProtect Professional.

https://www.milestonesys.com

Think of it like an embedded DVR, but for 64-256 camera IP solutions. It's just a bunch of off-the-shelf parts and software we're preconfiguring. I'll gladly sell all the pieces individually if that's what the customer wants, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 2, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just upgraded the RAM in the server I keep in my basement for testing. Any suggestions on what to actually do with this thing? It's not like running a Starbound server actually uses 80GB of RAM and 24 threads.

:smaug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Get yourself some rainbow tables and learn a little about security.

I design security systems for a living (both physical and virtual). I've done more than my fair share of playing around with hashcat. :)

I'd like to put it to good use rather than just burning electricity, if possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm installing SUSE on a System/Z emulator running on a VM of Windows 7 under Xenserver.

What do I win?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strongly considering picking this up for my new virtualization testbed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Fusion-I...wkAAOSwCQNWewfy

Specs: E5-2620 x2, 32GB DDR3 ECC, 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Datasheet:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bpab64iZh7oVtNw

This is mostly for learning/studying, but I'll probably end up hosting some game servers on it for general goon enjoyment. I'll be running VSphere 5 with a mix of Windows and Linux hosts. Any thoughts?

Edit: There's this one too, but it's more than I want to pay if I don't need the extra space.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/640GB-Fusio...5cAAOSwFnFWFWtK

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 7, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I just installed my first VM. I used an off the shelf machine at work and installed virtual box with Windows 10 evaluation. Once I had that installed and patched I put that VM into a Truecrypt 7.1a container. In the VM, I installed my PIA VPN and Steam. I connected to an unsecured guest network from a neighboring office with my VPN on, went to efukt.com and sent a friend a video of a woman with an extremely large vagina through steam chat. I re encrypted the container and the machine is now currently imaging a fresh install of Windows.

All in all, an easy process. I like VM's now!

My office. NOW!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Strongly considering picking this up for my new virtualization testbed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Fusion-I...wkAAOSwCQNWewfy

Specs: E5-2620 x2, 32GB DDR3 ECC, 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Datasheet:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bpab64iZh7oVtNw

This is mostly for learning/studying, but I'll probably end up hosting some game servers on it for general goon enjoyment. I'll be running VSphere 5 with a mix of Windows and Linux hosts. Any thoughts?

Ended up pulling the trigger on this. I'm sure it will be more than fine for a home lab. Time to drag my rack out of the garage and into the basement!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The home lab server I bought came in. Turns out it doesn't have e5-2620s. It has 2650s. Four free cores! :woop:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

I'm going to ask my CDW rep how much he can beat Wally World by on a Nexus.

CDW is great because they will lose money on a sale if it means closing. CDW is terrible in all other ways.

Source: I used to support CDW reps. If you ever called them and they said "I'm going to get my engineer on the phone," that was probably me or someone I worked with (I didn't work at CDW). My favorite is when they brought their customer on the line and said "I have my Cisco engineer on the line," when I didn't even handle Cisco products. :suicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

Heh, I've been doing less and less with CDW because they're barely discounting off the site prices from the get-go. I told my rep that I'm happy to give them the business consistently if they don't yank my chain on pricing, but SHI (who we've been a customer of for less than 2 months) has beaten CDW soundly every time I've had to get competitive quotes. I know that they have margins and all, but at least make an effort to be competitive.

Fun fact: SHI's "engineers" are the same people as CDW's "engineers."

Also: Tiger Direct, Insight, Best Buy for Business, and a bunch of others.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 15, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have to say
CDWG has been loving AWESOME to us. Our rep is amazing, and gets me quotes before I even hit 'send' on the request email.
They're also currently going to bat for us against HP. Getting HP to fix some bullshit with the network adapters and mezzanine cards not working on our blade chassis.

CDWG is its own company, more or less. And all major resellers are YMMV depending on the rep you get.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm setting up my home lab server. I have a 1TB WD RE4 HDD and a 320GB FusionIO IoDrive. I was planning on installing all the VMs on the IoDrive and putting the ISOs / snapshots on the HDD. Is that the best way to do it, or am I overlooking something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone explain to me why vCenter needs Internet Explorer and Flash installed on the server. :psypop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 19, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Dunno.

Why aren't you using the VCSA?

Because everything I read on it says it's neutered and you should use the Windows service in a large deployment. Is that wrong?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

1000101 posted:

It's been 90% wrong since 5.5 and it's pretty much 100% wrong in 6.X. The only thing you're missing is going to be VMware update manager but you can stand a windows server up to the side to handle that while still using the VCSA.

I'm using the VCSA for a deployment that hits vCenter's scalability limits so you should be fine there.

I'm using 5.5 because they decided to come out with the 6.0 exam right after I took the 5.5 class. :suicide:

Edit: Also, where the hell do I use this voucher? Stanley said to use the VMWare Certification Marketplace, but they said they don't offer it any more and to use Onthehub. But that's where I got the voucher in the first place. :confused:

Double Edit: I'm dumb. You put the discount code in the PearsonVue website when you go to check out. :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want to be lavished with coke and strippers, you want to be in sales. IME, Cisco sales is pretty over the top.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DevNull posted:

I'm not familiar with the licensing, is that a huge bump in price?

The whole Dell deal hasn't gone though yet, so you can't really blame Dell. Any stupidity is firmly on the shoulders of VMware.

The old price is listed in there as well. It's not terrible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Or just setup a proper pki infrastructure.

I'm extremely upset that you said infrastructure redundantly, and I'm really not sure why.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HPL posted:

Or they could wait around until the whole quantum computing thing makes encryption irrelevant.

This is only true for encryption relying on factoring semi prime numbers being hard. Elliptic curve encryption is still safe, AFAIK.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HPL posted:

It's a technology they haven't got a handle on yet. Once they do, it should be neat.

I don't think quantum computing does what you think it does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can use the free hypervisor in production. I just got my VCP last week, so your co-worker can suck my left nut.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mewse posted:

She also seemed receptive to the idea that Workstation is inappropriate. I said "Workstation isn't designed to run servers, that's why it's called Workstation" and she seemed to agree.

Don't tell her about Workstation Server. :ninja:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why are you buying a laptop for a virtualization lab?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And everything used multicast! Because we only had hubs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

We had a dedicated router in each building on the network, but they were configured to do broadcast forwarding so everyone saw every single broadcast packet on the network barring filtered stuff like DHCP. Absolute mess.

I'll bite. Why?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Oh, someone plugged in a computer. I'm going to lunch while spanning-tree does it's thing

Like they would use any kind of loop prevention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The real reason is that someone decided that you should be able to resolve any share name through NetBIOS to any building on the MAN without needing to configure WINS or DNS, so the network got built around that.

There it is.