Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Hypervisor level AV/FW's own, not a fan for turning off the windows stuff but if you are already doing FW/AV on the hypervisor level what purpose does these OS FW serve?

There are applications that will flip out if the Windows Firewall is not running. So just set it to Allow/Allow and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Does VMWare not have a description field? Or an Owner field?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a way to tell who took a snapshot in Hyper-V?

In VMM you could just check who ran the job. With just Hyper-V, I have no idea.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No, this is a real-time conversation, not a thread on an Internet comedy forum.

Anyone used Cloud Cruiser before? We're looking into it to support our chargeback model. Ties in nicely with Windows Azure Pack, too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Varkk posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask about this issue.

I have a client who is getting a new Windows 8 PC but now decided they really need to run one program which will not run on anything newer than Windows XP.

If it were Windows 7 I would have just installed XP mode and run with that, but that is gone. So I installed VMware player and set up a XP VM. However the mouse in the VM is not working. The cursor moves around the virtual screen fine, but it doesn't seem to register any left-clicks. Right-clicks sometimes throw open a desktop context menu in the top left of the screen, no matter where the cursor is on the screen. Guest has latest vmware tools installed .I went with VMware player as that apparently offers better desktop integration features than using Hyper-V on Windows 8. Basically we want to be able to put an icon for the program on the desktop of the host and not need the client to think about VMs etc like we could do with Windows XP mode on Windows 7. Any thoughts on fixing this or are we better off looking for another solution to run this application?

Why not use Hyper-V? It's included.

e: I should read posts.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KS posted:

I'll make it easy.

Said no one ever when it comes to Microsoft licensing

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

This a bit of a specific question but has anyone worked with vSphere PowerCLI and the Microsoft Failover Clusters PowerShell cmdlets? If so, how did you workaround the function name overlap with the "Get-Cluster" cmdlet? This function is defined in both the Microsoft "FailoverClusters" PS module and the "VMware.VimAutomation.Core" snap-in and it seems that whatever is loaded last will overwrite the previously loaded function. For example:

code:
PS C:\> Import-Module -Name FailoverClusters
PS C:\> (Get-Cluster -Domain $Domain).Count
PS C:\> Add-PSSnapin -Name VMware.VimAutomation.Core
PS C:\> (Get-Cluster -Domain $Domain).Count
Get-Cluster : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Domain'.
At line:1 char:14
+ (Get-Cluster -Domain $Domain).Count
+              ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Cluster], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.GetCluster
I've managed to work-around it by just unloading the module/snap-in after processing but I want to do more complicated stuff which requires both to be loaded into the session (e.g. gracefully failing-over cluster groups prior to placing the host that the cluster nodes are on into maintenance mode).

You can import the module with a prefix like this:

Import-Module Hyper-V -Prefix MS

Then you'd just run Get-MSCluster (test it with Get-Command Get-*Cluster).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"Threatens most datacenters"

Don't most people run Hyper-V or VMWare, which are unaffected? I don't know about the Xen marketshare.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's really impressive how loving poo poo most manufacturers/developers' websites are. HP? Symantec? VMWare? Microsoft? Get your loving poo poo together.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mierdaan posted:

Sweet Jesus, why is VMware's KB so bad? I swear there's about a 95% chance, any time I click on a kb.vmware.com link, that this will be the result:

Hey, at least it isn't Symantec. Or Microsoft. Or HP. In fact I think it's industry standard to have a completely hosed up knowledge base.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Prior to 8.1.1 you could just bypass the key limit this way: http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/19/iphone-bruteforce-pin/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I thought Hyper-V supported USB passthrough since 2012? Maybe with Enhanced InterrogationSession Mode?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

keykey posted:

Out of curiosity, is there actually any full featured free hyper-v management software that could install on a hyper-v server so instead of having to remote administer from a win7/10 box you could just do it all on a free edition hyper-v 2012/2016 box? I've tried 5nine manager, but to export/etc.. there is an incurred cost.

No, that's why it's free.

e: Nested hypervisors all the way down!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

Uh he already said he's having problems getting the NIC working. That's why I said ovirt won't make much a difference.

Hyper-V requires either a server license or a Pro license. It is also awful for a bunch of things, not least of which is getting a range of Linux distros working. Running it with a GUI is a waste too.

From what I gather from person whose posts I'm responding to they already have a Windows OS to use. So workstation is a fine, easy shortcut that will get around the NIC issues. Thanks for the lesson though?

Bare metal Hyper-V Server is free. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Are those actual internal HDDs or HDDs connected through USB?

You could just directly attach the disks to the VM running your FreeNAS instance with Hyper-V.