Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intraveinous
Oct 2, 2001

Legion of Rainy-Day Buddhists
Fibre Channel storage needs some more information. FCP is a storage protocol used for accessing disk and tape on a shared network, and works by transporting SCSI commands over the FC network. It can be run over either Fiber Optic cables or copper (though usually the copper is used only for short run interconnects.) It is a connection oriented protocol, which was designed to be lossless (or as close as possible) and for predictability of data flows.
Fibre Channel is available in speeds of 1Gb (legacy), 2Gb (legacy), 4Gb, and 8Gbps, with 16Gbps starting to be available now.

FCoE is an encapsulation of the Fibre Channel protocol to run on ethernet, with a design focused on converging FCP and TCP on a single network based on ethernet. There are controls to make up for the connectionless, best-effort delivery of ethernet, and make things more predictable the way they are with FC. It is currently available in a 10Gbps Ethernet speed. Physical layer is the same as what can currently carry 10GbE, copper or fiber optic.

Great to see a new thread, the old one was becoming quite a bear to get through. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intraveinous
Oct 2, 2001

We had an issue long ago with the virtualized vCenter, so long ago I don't even recall what it was. We had just finished a P2V migration on a fairly new box (DL380G5), so I just made that our new vCenter server, and haven't looked back since. We're running 6 nodes in production and 4 in DR, and it's good advice to use DRS rules to put vCenter on one of the first few nodes. I'll keep that in mind if we can't get budget to replace this physical box some day.

Intraveinous
Oct 2, 2001

Rexxed posted:

My question has two parts given this limitation. The first is: is the license of vSphere client (or any of their more complicated management tools) how they get you to spend money on their product given that the free ESXi license exists? If so, the second part of my question is: is there any free way to manage an ESXi host? Third party utilities maybe, or some hidden option that actually has datastore interaction and/or console accessibility in the ESXi host console, or something crazy like that? I am obviously very new to virtualization, but it seems that in order to do anything with an ESXi box you require management software. Having ESXi be free and the management software cost money is fine, but since I'm just messing around, I am wondering if my learning is going to abruptly end when the vSphere client's evaluation does.

It sounds like you downloaded a trial of ESXi rather than ESXi free. The free version doesn't expire. You'd need a license for vCenter if you wanted to manage several boxes at once, and do things like vMotion between hosts. vSphere Hypervisor is what they call the free version now, I think, vs vSphere ESXi for the full, needs licensing, version.

EDIT: Link for the Free, assumed non-expiring, version: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html