Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

So I might have done something stupid but I'm not sure. I just bought a HP proliant server to use for my home lab and when I installed ESXi 4.1 on it, it is coming up with localhost.hsd1.nj.comcast.net as the network I'm trying to log into. Obviously I have Comcast for internet. Weird thing is that it already has a root account setup and I can't do anything. WTF did I do ? Anyone know of a way to fix this?

The root pw should be blank on a new install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
VMWare essentials plus is what, 5k for 3 hosts? That's nothing compared to what storage, servers and especially application licensing and staff cost.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Are there any goons managing virtual desktop (in vmware view) deployments? I've been asked to investigate because CLOUD! and am struggling to see where they would meet our clients needs better than a standard terminal server and/or windows 7 laptop.

I'm sure deployment/provisioning is much faster, so there are savings on that, but the average end user only goes through that experience every 3-5 years. The other times we touch their desktop it's to help with application related issues, which would exist regardless of platform.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Did you use the same scsi controller type?

You shouldn't have had to create a new vm, just remove it from inventory, copy the files, browse to the new location and right click->add to inventory on the vm config file.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've had that discussion before, usually it ends up with me beating someone to death with their own error message. "No you calling a function that doesn't exist isn't a problem with virtualization idiot"

I hide the vmtools tray icon and lie through my teeth.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
An Equallogic PS series can be had for just under 20k with some SAS drives. I think that's good value, local storage of VM's is just a pain in the rear end.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It's probably a good habit to always use real private ip's in a situation like that. Probably not going to hurt in a lab situation but you never know.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Mausi posted:

Veeam doesn't scale easily beyond a few hundred VMs, and has had quite a few 'How did that bug make it through to release' moments which make me not trust it. PHD Virtual has rarely failed me, and scales up to 4 figures worth of VMs on good hardware in my experience.

We used it in places with only a 10-20 VM's (perhaps 2tb total) and it was still quirky. It'd run fine for weeks and then poo poo the bed requiring new full backups for no apparent reason. Support always sounded hungover.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Misogynist posted:

The deal's not bad, but consolidating an entire infrastructure onto a single point of failure with no warranty seems like a job-loss event to me.

We have clients who would see that as out of the box thinking to save costs and be delighted.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
In place upgrades of esxi 4.0 to 5 on hosts with local storage (gently caress local storage), has anyone experienced any kind of disaster? Coworkers have done a few but I'm nervous all the same since the client has no vm level backups and rebuilding all of their servers in a weekend would suck if the datastore gets eaten. I'd be using the iso.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

madsushi posted:

I've done it about a dozen times and never had to restore from backup. Note how I used the word "backup" there, because I took one before every single upgrade. Don't chance it, just bring in a big USB drive and use the CLI to copy the VMDKs to it. You could also use WinSCP from a desktop or something too.

After some discussion this is more or less the plan. Thankyou sirs for your input

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Can't say I am annoyed by the sound of a 1u but if worst comes to worst I place them in my bedroom and close the door and work from another room or my balcony.

Then you have to shut it down to sleep. I don't see the advantage of a 1U box over a tower with some nice 120mm fans in a home setup.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I did a fresh install on a new server last week that was smooth. I think the quick setup or whatever it's called failed, but installing each component (SSO, then vcenter etc) worked just fine. I was using the bundled SQL express db.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Does esxi need its OS/boot storage once it's started up or does it load completely into RAM? We have a few servers that boot from sdcard, I've always wondered what would happen if the card failed.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
That makes sense and is good news. Problems on reboot are no big deal.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm about to install appassure for the first time in an environment of a similar size to yours, will be interesting. We were driven to try something other than Veeam for all the reasons above.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
People also love to build Hyper-V hosts with all kinds of useless stuff (not the core edition, adobe flash/reader). I wish microsoft made it harder to do that, perhaps forcing server core to be used. It makes maintenance a pain in the rear end as there is guaranteed to be an update that requires a reboot each month. (These are small environments usually, no shared storage)

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 1, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
One of those tiny netgear style switches you can buy from newegg for $30 I'd assume.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Exchange does start spewing log errors if it gets really low on RAM, I've only seen it on single server 2010 environments with 4gb of ram though (not my idea). Once you get up past 8-10gb it hums nicely, I suspect (un-scientifically) based on your environment size it'll be just fine with 10.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The PDC/BDC thing is funny, people who were still in school when 2003 came out use the term as though it means something. I blame naming conventions on servers.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
My biggest problem with Equallogic SAN's is their snapshots are amazingly inefficient. I hope you don't plan on keeping anything with them for long. Otherwise they're not bad, certainly cake to configure.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

We're moving to AppAssure for our backups since it just replicates blocks directly from the OS and doesn't have the dependency/integration headaches. Plus some other cool stuff like its ability to stream the data to your DR site so stuff is already staged in their inventory. Nice for us since we aren't big enough to justify two production clusters with cross-replication.

It still relies on VSS/Shadow copy, if the writers are having a bad day your backups will fail. We have had to deploy VSS hotfixes from Microsoft to get some stuff working.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

What version of Windows were having the problems? Most of our backups right now are BE agents which runs off VSS and the only time we've had grief was with 2003 servers.

2008 R2 needed a hotfix to work with the version we installed a few months ago. It was a Hyper-V environment which might have made a difference, the domain controller guests needed a patch for the AD backup to work. It's a nice product all in all, we've started trying to sell it over Veeam. I hope dell doesn't screw it up.

It does seem to throw errors like mount check and replication failures from time to time which resolve themselves without any intervention. The latest update did help with those.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 1, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It is cheaper on our dell premier account than on the vmware store, but I don't think I'd bother with a reseller to save $50-100 unless you can do it all online with someone you already have an account with.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

demonachizer posted:

Are such things necessary for ESXi hosts? I haven't put any planning in place for anything beyond the guest OS.

It might have been inside a guest, I've had a guest OS quirk PSOD the host it was running on before.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Veeam is the only place I've ever called where the guy who picked up was 100% severely hungover.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Keep your logs on the SAN, dell will do an internal 1gb sdcard for esxi as CF said, it's perfect for that. If you install the Dell customized esxi image, it'll give you all the hardware monitoring you need.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 7, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I do it that way too, multiple vmkernels on one switch, with each vmkernel tied to its own physical nic by making all other NIC's unused in the properties for each vmkernel.

I doubt it makes a difference it just looks tidier

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Do you guys still configure scheduled scans? I figure if the realtime scanner misses something you're hosed anyway, the virus will have neutered the AV long before the scheduled scan runs.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If it is really 3.5 and there is no local VM storage I'd deploy a new vcenter appliance and rebuild all the hosts from scratch (good opportunity for firmware updates too). It'd take a lazy saturday or 4-8 hours, I bet Dilbert could do it in 2.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 25, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Something I've been pondering recently along those lines is what to do with 10GbE. Traditionally with gigabit I've always used separate physical ports for iscsi and had those switch ports on their own vlan to keep the storage traffic isolated from everything else. With 10x the bandwidth available though, is it wise to run LAN/Storage traffic together on the same interface? Still separated with VLANS, but sharing physical ports.

The idea makes me uneasy, but i can't think of a good reason why it wouldn't work as long as the link wasn't saturated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Lol, jesus. I can't believe the junk that Cisco gets away with selling.

Even your bottom-rung $100 Dell switch will blow that out of the water.

Stop giving money to Cisco.

You have the 100mb cisco's there, not the gigabit ones, which do match or exceed the powerconnect option. We install SG300's everywhere, not for storage traffic, but for general LAN use, powering phones etc, they do a good job.