Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Rob de Veij wrote a nice thing called RVTools that does a nice job of picking out all the things like old snapshots, out-of-date VMware Tools installs, etc etc, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, there's a little tiny price hump at the beginning to get the starter kit so you have composer and stuff, but after that the cost just scales linearly. I don't think you're factoring in support on the view licenses though, which from the last quote I got was about $160/3yrs/view instance.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I've always meant to ask if I just had a bad experience with Veeam or what. We were using it to back up a 1TB Server 2008 R2 file server a few years back, and every single night the backup would take {$hugeInt} of hours. The amount of data written to the Veeam server's drive reflected the actual deltas, but it took a full backup's worth of time every single night. Veeam wasn't ever able to explain it, since according to their sales guy and their tech support the synthetic incrementals should've been fast.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I've got a shot at getting Jumbo Frames enabled this weekend since we have a shutdown scheduled for some electrical work. Is there an order of operations I need to be concerned with, as far as enabling it on the switch, SAN and in vSphere? I'm assuming as long as I get it switched over everywhere to MTU = 9000 and can verify it with a
code:
vmkping -d -s 9000 {filer}
that I'm okay to bring VMs back up?

I'm also not sure if I need to modify the vmkernel interface directly too or just esxcfg-vswitch -m 9000 the vswitch.

edit: ESXi 4.1 with NetApp NFS datastores, Compellent gear getting installed in the near future though so this is more in preparation for that.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Kachunkachunk posted:

And if anyone can call bullshit on it, feel free. I'm not terribly strong with my networking.

Me neither. Someday I'll get to stop being jack of all trades, master of none, right guys? :smith:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

BelDin posted:

Good luck with that. VMware is like InfoSec. It's the IT generalist's specialization. It definitely to be jack of all trades, master of many in this area. My experience may be different, but I'm expected to perform minor miracles every day, know more than the admins about their own server functions, and more about networking than anyone else where I work.

Yeah, I get - and even enjoy - that about virtualization. I've always liked having a broad understanding of systems, it's only frustrating when the lack of time spent in any given area leaves me with a shallower understanding of an issue than I want, and I don't have the time to really dive into it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We don't use DRS at all and that's how it looks for me.

You can go to the Virtual Machines tab of the cluster if you want to see where all your guests are :effort:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

three posted:

Why don't you use DRS?

4.0 Essentials Plus kit.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Erwin posted:

I feel stupid asking this, but cloning/imaging isn't something I've done since XP, and I hated it then.

I feel stupid suggesting this, but you are changing this here radio button right?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Okay. I have everything set in a customization specification and have definitely forgotten to change that when deploying and the guest comes up all uncustomized :saddowns:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Erwin posted:

turns off IE security

:ssh: you can turn it off for administrators in Server Manager :ssh:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Definitely take Veeam for a drive before purchasing it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Fancy_Lad posted:

And here our ESX guys are wanting to drop PHD because their support is apparently horrible as well. Fun!

Pretty sure the only backup application I've heard universally good things about over the years is...... rsync. If you need a more sophisticated solution than that, you're in for disappointment.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

A VMware developer posted:

I’ve spent the past few months on a prototype, one I’m proud to say we’re shipping as part of the Workstation Tech Preview. It’s currently called WSX (name may change in time), and it brings your VMs to your tablets, smart phones, and any PC or device with a modern browser.

WSX is installed as a mini web server in your network and serves up an interface for accessing your Workstation Shared VMs and your VMs on vSphere/ESXi 5. You can power your VMs on, off, suspend them, and interact with them. All from a web browser, and all without plugins, with nothing to install on the client end.

Want want want.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I think Misogynist created a Klein VM.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

More likely it's some outsourced developer that doesn't speak / read / write English as a native language. I'll be damned if I could come up with good error messages in Chinese or Romanian.

Reminds me of the best example of this problem, PHP's unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM error. As if there's any other kind of T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Ugh, that blows, getting all those initial fulls with Veeam is a sloooooooow process.

Not any slower than their incrementals! :iceburn:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Did they up the Fast Track course costs for 5.0? I'm looking at one right now and it's $5500 :psyduck: I thought it was more in the $3500 range?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Fast Track is an accelerated, extended-length course. The Install, Configure, Manage course is the one that typically runs closer to $3k.

That's probably what I was thinking of, thanks.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Free ESXi is also ram limited, so workstation's better unless you have a license.

In case anyone else was curious about how single-server ESXi works now since the CPU->VRAM entitlement stuff goes out the window when you're not paying them any monies, here is the FAQ on VMware vSphere Hypervisor. That's what they're calling single-server unlicensed ESXi now.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Moey posted:

Goes out the window? The free version of ESXi 5 is capped at 32gb memory. And I believe the free version of ESXi 4 was unlimited memory.

Right, I'm just saying that when you're figuring out how much RAM you're entitled to use, that's typically dictated by how many CPU licenses you've paid for. When you're running unlicensed, that limit has to be coming from somewhere else, and I didn't know where that was.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
How is the command history handled in esxi5's shell? There's no history command, but you can up-arrow through the history so it's being stored somewhere...

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, I'd found that communities thread but there wasn't anything authoritative in there. If it's only stored in memory, that answer my question - thanks Complex.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Good to know this is still a bug in vCenter 5 + ESXi 5. Yay 4-year-old bugs!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
CF answered most everything above, but unless I missed it he didn't mention the Linux-based vCenter Server Appliance. There's a few limitations to the appliance version vs. the installable Windows application version, such as no Linked mode vCenter and no IPv6, but you probably don't care about those. Really it's a question of if you want another Windows machine to admin, or a kinda black-box-like Linux appliance. Using vCenter on a day-to-day basis will be mostly the same either way.

There's a bunch of YouTube videos showing how to install the virtual appliance if you want to wrap your head around how (not) complicated it is.

CF also mentioned VSA offhandedly, and there he's referring to VMware's Virtual Storage appliance, i.e. a software solution for using local disks in your ESXi servers and presenting it as shared NFS storage. It works, but it's expensive and I don't really know what the use case is for it right now.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
This is definitely a flat-out bug with expanding the virtual disk of a machine while deploying it from template. I replicated it in a vCenter/ESXi/VMFS 5.0 test lab during my Fast Track course with a VCAP watching (can get you access to my lab system tomorrow if you want).

Simple steps to reproduction:

1) Create a VM, sourceVM1, with a (say) 20GB disk
2) Convert sourceVM1 to a template
3) Deploy a VM, newVM1, from the sourceVM1 template. Check the box for Edit Virtual Hardware when deploying from template
4) Up the hard disk size for newVM1 from 20GB to 25GB
5) Examine the /vmfs/volumes/{datastore}/newVM1/newVM1.vmx file

A machine deployed from template without modifying the hard drive size will have a relative path name in the vmx file, pointing to the vmdk descriptor file for the disk. Something similar to (forgive me, not in front of my systems right now)
code:
scsi0:0.fileName = "newVM1.vmdk"
A machine deployed from template with modifying the hard drive size will have an absolute path name in the vmx file, pointing back to the template's directory, something like
code:
scsi0:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/{UUID}/sourceVM1/sourceVM1.vmdk"
If you try to deploy from the sourceVM1 template again, you'll get the message that the template's disk is locked, which in fact it is because newVM1 is running off those vmdk files. The deploy-from-template process will create appropriate (well kinda appropriate, since they'll remain 20GB instead of the 25GB you asked for) vmdks in /vmfs/volumes/{datastore}/newVM1/, but nothing uses them and they're not referenced in any vmx. In fact if you delete newVM1 from disk, they're so not-in-use that they'll get left behind by the delete process and you have to clean them up manually.

The way around this is to swap the newVM1.vmdk and newVM1-flat.vmdk in newVM1's directory for the ones in the template's directory, and hack the vmx to point at the vmdk residing in the same directory as itself, and then power on the VM.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 23, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The Communities thread I linked says he experienced it on 3.5, and I can reproduce on 5.0 so I'm guessing this is the 4th revision (3.5, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0?) with this particular bug. I don't have a case number because I assumed a 4-year-old bug would already have a million cases open for it - I mean, I actually hit this bug in production on 4.1 and then tried replicating for fun on vmeduc's 5.0 since my systems aren't there yet, someone else must have filed a bug, right!?

Shame on me, I am part of the problem :saddowns: I will be a good user and open a well-explained bug report tomorrow and PM you the case number.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Apparently I can't detect rhetorical questions on the internet.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

complex posted:

I can say I've hit that bug myself. Again, the steps to reproduce are so simple, so common, I just assumed that it already had been reported. I was using ESX 4 and 4.1 with both vCenter 4 and 5.

I think the checkbox for Edit Virtual Hardware stil says "(experimental)" next to it, so that probably contributes to the apathy towards filing bug reports.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

I think the checkbox for Edit Virtual Hardware stil says "(experimental)" next to it, so that probably contributes to the apathy towards filing bug reports.

Welp they closed my ticket already, saying it was an experimental feature anyway.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Personally I don't even care too much if the feature actually works - I don't need it badly enough to request the feature be fixed.

I'm more put-off that the ability to edit a hard disk during template deployment has been there for 4+ years, broken the whole time. Moreover, it's broken in a way that isn't immediately obvious, is ugly to fix and/or requires a call to support to have them un-gently caress your template and VM. At this point I'd be happy if they just let you edit memory/vCPU/cores, since that stuff seems to work fine, and just removed the hard disk piece. Leaving flaky, buggy features in like that is just not what I think most people expect from VMware.

edit: :ninja: got another reply from support saying they sourced a recent, active Problem Report and a fix is expected in v5.0 U2 of the vSphere client - alternatively it might work properly already in the vCenter web UI.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 24, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
If you've got Enterprise+, there's really no good reason I know of not to use dvSwitches for VM traffic. They offer some nice features outside of the ease-of-management (e.g. port mirroring, netflow, bidirectional traffic shaping).

Some people are paranoid about putting any management traffic on a dvSwitch, since you can't manage a dvSwitch if vCenter takes a poo poo.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Double-post ahoy! If you have a host running ESXi 4.1 embedded with the image from Dell, can you upgrade to 5.0 using VUM with the standard VMware repos?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Can I ask what you want to use that much local disk for anyway? Just curious.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
How much of an issue is cpu scheduling now? I still hear it brought up constantly but I guess I don't know how much relaxed coscheduling has improved the situation since the old strict days where it was a big concern.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The "total 192GB" is
code:
32GB vRAM entitlements * 3 (max # of hosts possible) * 2 (max # of CPUs per host possible) = 192GB total vRAM entitlements
in a vCenter cluster with the Essentials Plus Kit licensing.

It's definitely not 32GB per host as you feared; the standard setup for Essentials Plus would be 3 hosts, 2 pCPUs/host, 64GB pRAM/host. I think the Essentials Plus licenses might come as 6 CPU licenses you apply to the ESXi hosts directly, so whether or not you can apply 3 licenses on each of 2 hosts (as opposed to the "intended" 2 licenses on each of 3 hosts) is a good question.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I have precisely one VM with >1 vCPU in my environment, and it's a Dynamics AX AOS that will absolutely hammer the poo poo out of a single vCPU. Everything else gets 1 vCPU.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Crossbar posted:

I've read that Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard comes with a 'free' licence for a virtual install of Server 2008? Is this true? If it is, what licence key do I use?

It does, but the licensing terms basically require that the hypervisor instance of Server 2008 is used only to run the virtual instance; you can't set up that bare-metal instance of Server 2008 to do anything other than run the Hyper-V role.

You can just use the same license key, afaik.

edit: source

Microsoft posted:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Each software license allows you to run one instance of the server software in an OSE on one server. If the instance you run is in a virtual OSE, you can also run an instance in the physical OSE solely to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or run software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server. We refer to this in shorthand as 1+1.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 20, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
You can try running RVTools against your host and see if it points out anything glaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Actually the plan has 8 10GBe to each host :catstare:

Holy hell. They're called configuration maximums, not configuration challenges.

Mind telling us what your workload is like?