Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forte
Oct 22, 2009

Where is your Belmont clan now?!
/////lesson{]" "///learned{]

The third and final season of Marble Hornets is drawing upon us, starting on March 10th, 2012.

What is Marble Hornets?

Marble Hornets was an indie movie being shot by Alex Kralie in 2006. During production, Alex became very angry and irrational towards his friends and cast members, eventually stopping production in full. He gave the production tapes to his friend Jay and instructed him to burn them and never speak of them again.

In 2009, Jay found the tapes stored away in his closet, and thus the story began. Jay uploaded the videos online, and soon found out a strange figure was following Alex.

You can discover what Jay discovered. Interested? Let's watch!

At this point in the game, I would argue that using the Vortmax pages would be the best way to start on the series. It includes the main entries, ToTheArk (who you can read about below) videos, and tweets. Marble Hornets is sort of a multimedia experience.

Season 1 Videos, Tweets and Responses
Season 2 Videos, Tweets and Responses

These guides include all the main links to the series, which are:

MarbleHornets YouTube channel - This is where Jay uploads all the entries, and is the main part of the story.
ToTheArk's YouTube channel - Very cryptic video responses arose after a few of Jay's first posts, this is the source for them.
Jay's Twitter - This is where Jay communicates with us and informs of us new entries/what's going on outside of video postings.

Also, Season 1 and 2 are available for purchase on DVD at this site. Help support a fantastic series ran by cool dudes.

We also had threads for Season 1 and Season 2 here on SA.

:siren: WARNING: There's major Season 1 and 2 spoilers from here until the end of my post!! :siren:

Cast/Characters

Jay is the protagonist of the story. His main concern is to find Jessica and find out what Tim is up to.

Alex is the antagonist of the story, his condition in the current story is unknown, as he was in an altercation with Tim in the Season 2 finale involving a gun. It is believed he is in alliance with The Operator (and has had some connection with him from at least 1991), even on some occasions seemingly giving him bodies. It's unclear if he's acting on his own will.

The Operator (or The Slenderman) is a mysterious figure that has been prominent from the start of the series. It seems as if he has had some connection to Alex since 1991. The Operator originates in the Create Paranormal Images thread. Some speculate that The Operator could be protecting Alex.

Jessica is a character that was introduced in Season 2, having a hotel room next to Jay and similar memory loss. She is also a protagonist in the series. Her current location is unknown, she has been missing since 2011. She was Amy's friend and got caught up in what's going on due to Amy's relationship with Alex. Jessica has stated that she was having nightmares about being watched by The Operator as a child to Jay early in S2.

Tim (or the Masked Man) was a cast member for Marble Hornets. His intentions are unclear and he could know the location of Jessica. It was revealed in Season 2 that he is indeed the Masked Man. Tim has been following Jay from Season 1 and has tried to kill Alex, which Alex responded by breaking Tim's leg. He was shown visibly limping in many entries in Season 2 from the injury.

ToTheArk (or TTA) is a character(s) that has been uploading cryptic messages as responses to Jay's videos. Tim definitely has a hand in the channel, but Jay has implied on Twitter that TTA could be ran from multiple people. Some think Jessica could be another poster for the channel starting later in Season 2.

Brian was a cast member for Marble Hornets as well. It's assumed he was killed towards the end of the production, although it hasn't been confirmed.

Amy has only been shown in the Season 1 finale and her current location is unknown. She is Alex's girlfriend.

Seth was on the production staff for Marble Hornets and has not been seen since Season 1. It's unclear rather he's alive or dead. Seth and Amy are characters we know the least about.

Other info:
IRC channel for discussions about new releases - #MarbleHornets on synIRC.

I'll be trying to keep this as up to date as possible throughout everything.

Forte fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Forte posted:

The third and final season of Marble Hornets is drawing upon us, starting on March 10th, 2012.

Since when is this anything but pure 100% speculation?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Need a character entry for SkiMasky - I mean we know practically nothing, but still!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gettin' my bets in early that SkiMasky is Jessica.

Magnolia Down
Apr 16, 2010
Has this date been confirmed?

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!
I think the gun might have been jumped a bit on this thread.

v-unit
Apr 26, 2007
I stopped following MH after one or two videos in season 2. According to this OP, the only thing character wise that I missed is that instead of just wondering if MM is Tim, it's been confirmed that he is?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Since when is this anything but pure 100% speculation?

Then it would match 99% of the posts in a MH thread. :v:

v-unit posted:

I stopped following MH after one or two videos in season 2. According to this OP, the only thing character wise that I missed is that instead of just wondering if MM is Tim, it's been confirmed that he is?
Pretty much confirmed short of him actually taking the mask off on camera. There is a 2nd character with a slightly different mask now as well.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also confirmed Alex is evil now.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Volume posted:

I think Alex was always evil. No-one could make a movie as awful as Marble Hornets looks to be and still be good.

BurgerPimp
Jul 10, 2010
So if I fell off the wagon part way through season 2, the OP makes it seem like I missed nothing of importance.

Confirm?

I guess I should catch up this afternoon when I don't have anything else to do.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
So the thread's up already? Dang. Before S3's even started. Guess we'll just have to sperg it up until it begins!

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

Is he? Maybe I need to watch it all again. My memory is a bit rusty on the details but I remember there was an episode where Alex went to the woods and passed out due to proximity to the Operator but after a few moments he got back up and walked towards it. I was under the impression that Alex was under the Operator's control at that point and that his evil actions at other points in the series were due to slender influences.

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Here we go again, aw yeah. Buckle up boys! :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

We got a while until s3 starts, so it'd be a good time to catch up to the series. I'm watching season 1 again and I'm eagerly awaiting my season 2 DVD to come in, too.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The DVDs are also a great excuse to get other people in on it in time for series 3. Viewing parties for Marble Hornets are great with the right people and the lights off. People start off all "yeah so WHEN does this get scary exactly?" and "So does anything ever happen?" and after a few videos people get hooked.

Except for the legions of people who don't, and will no doubt soon flood to the thread to inform us how we're scaredy babies for enjoying this and its poo poo and its poo poo for lovely babies.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Magnolia Down posted:

Has this date been confirmed?

Not explicitly but it's a pretty similar hint to the one we got for season 2's date. At worse it's 3.10.12 like European date format and thus we have to wait until October. But hey, at least we won't argue about it being a zip code...although it could be an area code...which would be for West LA and South Bay area, so probably not, no.

Yeah, March 10th seems pretty likely unless we get further clues that suggest otherwise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brightman posted:

But hey, at least we won't argue about it being a zip code...although it could be an area code...which would be for West LA and South Bay area, so probably not, no.

It's happened before. It could easily happen again.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost-Slug posted:

Is he? Maybe I need to watch it all again. My memory is a bit rusty on the details but I remember there was an episode where Alex went to the woods and passed out due to proximity to the Operator but after a few moments he got back up and walked towards it. I was under the impression that Alex was under the Operator's control at that point and that his evil actions at other points in the series were due to slender influences.
I thought we all agreed that it looked like Alex was sacrificing people to the Operator.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Volume posted:

I thought we all agreed that it looked like Alex was sacrificing people to the Operator.

I like the idea that Alex is a psychopath and the Operator is protecting him by cleaning up his messes, but that's maybe a bit too outre.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Volume posted:

It's hard to take Entry 51 any other way. I guess the question is whether he was 100% under the Operator's control, or doing it to save his own hide or...some other crazy rear end reason.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Volume posted:

There's still not a full agreement on that. I kinda think that's the case, but I also think there's credence to the "Operator cleans up after a psychotic Alex" theory stated by Pope Guilty. Either way, it's an interesting story. Who the hell knows, it could be something completely different, too. That's what makes this series so enjoyable for me.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Bumping this from the old thread in case anyone missed it.

Docjowles posted:

In goofier news, apparently Tim's dad homebrews beer (me too!). This needs to be available for purchase immediately.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
OP forgot to mention Sarah in the character list. She's only slightly more irrelevant than Seth!

Turpentine Caz
Oct 21, 2009

INITIATING KAYKE-EATING SOFTWARE

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the idea that Alex is a psychopath and the Operator is protecting him by cleaning up his messes, but that's maybe a bit too outre.

I was going to say that this can't be the case, because then why would Alex get Jessica out of danger. But thinking about it, I've just been assuming that the reason he told her he'd found Amy was to keep her out of the whole Operator clusterfuck. He could've been doing it so that she wouldn't be looking around and so there'd be one less potential witness to his crimes.

Not sure if I like the idea of him being a complete psychopath, but that's just because I was fascinated by that kind of character as a teenager and burned myself out a bit.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Hasn't Jay now turned into his own version of masky by stalking people?

(And yay, new series!)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

OP forgot to mention Sarah in the character list. She's only slightly more irrelevant than Seth!

We did get a pretty good quote from Seth, though:

AUGHGHFGHGHHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHG

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the ending of Season 2 with Alex and the gun, pointed towards Alex not being evil, he seemed like he was trying to do something about the Operator, and Jays stumbling around just sort of ruined things.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Pope Guilty posted:

"Goddamnit Alex stop killing people, I am so sick of cleaning up your messes. Jay doesn't pull this poo poo! He just runs around in the woods and passes out!"

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I think it would be worth including the fact that Seth was the cameraman in Entry #22 (I think? The entry that's the tape from the red tower) and "disappeared" by way of loud obvious-Slendy distortion noise in a burned-out building that's connected in some way to Brian's house.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I don't really want to make my first post in this new thread a huge :goonsay:, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to spell that like 'responses', not 'responces'.

Sorry. :(

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

(replying from the other thread so mods don't get butthurt about too many slendermans on the front page)

Coffee And Pie posted:

I guess now is the best time to admit how much I hated this thread's title. New one is fantastic, though!

Mods changed that a few months ago, due to there being three or four slenderman threads going at once. We'll see if this thread suffers the same fate...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CloFan posted:

(replying from the other thread so mods don't get butthurt about too many slendermans on the front page)

Mods changed that a few months ago, due to there being three or four slenderman threads going at once. We'll see if this thread suffers the same fate...

Thanks for the reminder. I locked the season 2 thread.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also, IIRC they said that the actual actress moved away so there's no chance she'll ever come back as a character v:shobon:v

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't see ToTheArby's on that cast list. :colbert:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I don't see ToTheArby's on that cast list. :colbert:

Wait, wasn't TTAs a nickname given to Tim/The Masked Man because he gained a bit of weight in between seasons? :raise:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Wait, wasn't TTAs a nickname given to Tim/The Masked Man because he gained a bit of weight in between seasons? :raise:

No it's the dude that Jay thinks is stalking him through the park early on, but in fact he is just enjoying nature/standing creepily still for minutes at a time farting around with his iPod.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Docjowles posted:

No it's the dude that Jay thinks is stalking him through the park early on, but in fact he is just enjoying nature/standing creepily still for minutes at a time farting around with his iPod.

I thought we called that guy ToThePark. I'm so confused right now! :gonk:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I thought we called that guy ToThePark. I'm so confused right now! :gonk:

Maybe someone who is less of a dick than me suggested that as an alternative, I dunno. Original context

Drunk Tomato posted:

cool thanks.

I would love to see Ipod man turn out to be TTA. Let's hope there is a TTA pretty soon recording Jay stumbling through those woods!

Docjowles posted:

Dude was pretty tubby, he looked more like To The Arby's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

ToTheArbys is the poor guy's name :colbert:

• Locked thread