Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Volume posted:

I thought we all agreed that it looked like Alex was sacrificing people to the Operator.

I like the idea that Alex is a psychopath and the Operator is protecting him by cleaning up his messes, but that's maybe a bit too outre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really hope there's a video available of that talk. I listened to a campus radio interview with Troy and Joseph awhile back that was tremendously entertaining.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Aceofblue posted:

I was very excited upon seeing an Operator symbol stamped envelope in my mail today! Unfortunately, they mistakenly sent me season 1 instead of season 2. :smith: Both invoices I have (from the mail and from when I ordered) were correct, so I emailed the DVD people and hopefully it'll get taken care of soon. Oh well, I wasn't going to have time to watch it until after this week anyways and I didn't need the temptation.

Watch it anyway, you'll have plenty of extra time once you stop sleeping.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

Since Jay's face is painted or something, it could be argued that Masky was showing him that Slenderman just walks right on by if someone isn't identifiable.

This has been my assumption. Something about wearing a mask interferes with the Operator's ability to to perceive or identify you, or makes him ignore you. I think it was Tim telling Jay to mask up. This is also why, the first time they Jay met him as Masky, when Jay knocked Tim on his rear end and tried to unmask him, Tim freaks the gently caress out. He's terrified that Jay will unmask him in a place which is Slendy-friendly or whatever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Docjowles posted:

They talk a bit about The Operator in the Entry 51 commentary (the one where Alex lures Brian to the ruined building). But it's just technical info, and info on an effect they tried and then scrapped at that. As far as I remember that is literally the only time they acknowledge him in either DVD; the commentary is very entertaining but don't watch it to find out anything about Slenderman :)

IIRC they said they might reveal how the Operator was done once the series is over, but until then they don't want to give away anything.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Turpentine Caz posted:

Entry 53. Found what's probably Tim's house, though I'm not sure since there's no Tim around.

This is one of my favorite things:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's a trap, Jay! A trap!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have this whole batshit theory about the Operator being some kind of spirit of the technological age that is an incarnation of how constant media exposure messes you up that that idea would fit right into.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I think my favorite part of this series is that I can read this sentence, think you are full on pants-on-head retarded and spewing bullshit out of every orifice, but chances are when the credits roll on Season 3, your theory will be every bit as valid due to lack of evidence as mine.

It's actually more of a general idea about Slenderman and how apparently the way to get his attention in the vast majority of Slendy stories is to start filming yourself a lot than about Marble Hornets in specific.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

JordanKai posted:

This has less to do with getting his attention and more with the fact that seeing Slenderman (or catching him on camera) locks him into your plain of existence and forces him to abide by the rules of this universe until he is out of vision. If he's already looking for you, strapping multiple cameras to yourself is like a form of self defense.

Sorry for sperging so much, I just don't really have anything else to do on a Sunday afternoon. :(

I don't find that terribly comforting considering that things bound to the rules of this universe are perfectly capable of loving murdering you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I am also in the "TTA is SkiMasky and Tim and SkiMasky is Jessica" camp, but I mean, come on, who else would it be?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, a lot of the early Slenderman stuff depicted him either in woods or as a thing associated with them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

All I remember from Create Paranormal Images are the images where it's unclear what's a tree and what isn't, except the face...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

JordanKai posted:

This is the face that appears at 0:10. I can't really tell who this is, but I think that patch of shadow right next to what I assume is his left eye might be a sideburn.

So I am just going to assume that this is Tim. v:shobon:v

Am I the only one that doesn't see a face here?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

carnivaljunkie posted:

I came into the thread a little late, so I just got caught up in the thread earlier today with #53 and the new TTA video, so seeing another entry coming up tonight? It's like Christmas and birthdays all wrapped into one. Plus, the guys are in my timezone, so I don't think I'll have to wait till tomorrow. :D

Look at this newbie. Sony Vegas is so bad that you always have to wait till tomorrow!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jay: "So, uh, why didn't you watch the tapes?"
Tim: "I don't have a camera that can play them."
Jay: "Wait a minute, then how-"
Tim: "Oh, just shut up and accept the premise."

Also, was there a shadow moving into the room as the tape ended, or was that just just the flashlight moving?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Or, you know, he's lying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is anybody else kind of excited at the prospect of, in about a year or so, watching the entire series at a stretch?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Is it confirmed that season three is going to be the last one?

2 was going to be the end, but they ended up having enough to do that they decided to split 2 into 2 and 3.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

He's already been shown to be obscenely fast under the right circumstances; there's one entry from season 1, which follows entry 1 chronologically, where he appears to circle around Alex's house in less time than it takes Alex to turn around and run across a hallway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Paranormal Activity was goddamned creepy, especially once I realized that the creators were working off the same silly-rear end books about demonic possession that I read obsessively as a kid. Basing the pattern of the progression on poo poo that people actually believe in was great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Too bad the acting and plot and everything else was god-awful and boring. The rifftrax was amazing though.

What did you think of The Blair Witch Project?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm super curious now, what were the books called? Google is not giving me any results. :(

Look for books involving Ed and Lorraine Warren, in particular "The Haunted".

The basic pattern is that the demon starts with little insignificant poo poo, like little things going missing or things being found broken or whatever, and slowly ramps up the abuse until everybody in the house is completely physically and spiritually demoralized and exhausted, and once everybody's broken down, it goes for possession.

All nonsense, of course, but realizing (and confirming later) that they were working off the same stuff I read as a kid made the movie that much more effective for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

We don't even know for sure that the Operator kills people. The only thing we've actually seen it do is lurk, and occasionally we see it vanish at the same time somebody else does.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Up until he mentioned the symptoms, I was going "...what made Jay find this significant?" And then it's just "...oh."

Pehther posted:

So before 51. Tim's having the same symptoms Jay has. I dunno, that's it?

Remember that these are tapes from the filming of Marble Hornets. These tapes take place before the series started.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Red Dragon posted:

"Not getting a full night of sleep for weeks" just screams fight club syndrome to me.

I want Tim to hit Alex as hard as he can.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

P/C is a joke forum that's probably going to be gone in a week though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Maybe the plot of Marble Hornets is just "Alex Kralie is a dick".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Commissar posted:

I have completely forgotten who I thought SkiMasky was, what's the general consensus to his/her identity?

We don't know yet. Most of the speculation I've seen centers on Jessica.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I feel like Majestic was way ahead of its time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Faust IX posted:

Even if he did that, there'd probably be some awkward, dramatic pause, and Tim would say something like "Why did you link me to my youtube channel, Jay?"

Of all the wonderful side-endings and twists the plot could've taken, that one's still out there, not completely lost yet.

"Wait, wait, the guys I've been trolling with messed-up videos for months, that's you?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

This series was already kind of meta, and then they did an episode where they called themselves out. Impressive.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mixoux posted:

I like how Tim mentioned that he was basically back to being normal until Jay came around flailing his camera everywhere. Alex said a similar thing about Slendy showing up and Amy dissappearing only once Jay started loving around with the tapes.

I suddenly wonder if they're going for a whole Silent Hill 1 thing where Jay's the reason everything's going to hell, even though he has no way of knowing that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I don't even need to go see this now, I was basically just given a Cliff's Notes version of the whole thing.

Reminds me of Shutter Island. "There's a huge twist! If you can't guess it from the trailer, you're an idiot!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

IUG posted:

I remember when that thread started, he had a SM avatar for a bit. But I never see him post now, and he has seemed to lost the avatar last I remember. Does he even talk about those photoshops, or even seem to care about the Slenderman idea anymore?

Starring VICTOR SURGE as TIM!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

What can't we figure out about the MH Slendy? It's a dummy made of foam or something, isn't it?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Have we ever actually seen it articulate, though? We see it in motion, but aside from the head turn in entry 1, I don't remember it ever actually moving except for the whole thing moving at once (as in gliding along outside Alex's house in entry 6), so I figured it was just being pulled along on a skateboard.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

kilogram posted:

Indeed it is, I think we can safely assume they borrowed some things from MH.

Likewise, the half-mad scribbles at 0:15 (and the Slender logo) is kinda similar to what Alex Kralie was doing when slenderstalked. Did MH invent the slenderized writing or was that already part of the mythos?

I'm pretty sure that was Just Another Fool, the first Slenderblog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

EMH was actually moving along at a good clip until that stupid Trials of HABIT storyline, at which point they bogged down and the whole thing went to hell.

• Locked thread