Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

@Marble Hornets posted:

Think I found the owner, but she's busy.

Slendermom's Antiques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
He could just tell (some of) the truth and say he was Tim's friend from long ago. There'll be records of them going to the same college and everything.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Aye, I'm still following DH. I like it, I like the way it's hinting at and adding to some kind of Slenderman (or rather, Gorr'Rylaehotep) mythology.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I reckon Tim's still on those pills he was taking back in Entry 20. I reckon he was staying at Brian's house on that campbed thing, so the pills Jay found there were his, and he robbed them back off Jay in Entry 19. He's going to the doctors to get more of those pills, or maybe for help with giving them up.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
oh god I'm making one of those posts, but here goes: Is it just me or is that Slendy at 7:50 down in the right corner? It might just be the struts, but I see what looks like a white face and hands standing out from a long black silhouette.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
SkiMasky watched Jay while he was sleeping in the boot of his car IIRC, they can't be the same person.

I'd always thought that Alex was part of TTA because he was one of the only people we knew had access to the original Marble Hornets tapes. But now we know Tim has some tapes (if he's telling the truth, of course), Alex might well have nothing to do with TTA.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Oh, good! I'm staying up all night to study, a good scare will make sure I stay awake.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Well, I don't know what they teach you kids in America, but here in the UK walking on train tracks is illegal. :mad:

Could this be Alex trying to feed Tim to the Operator, but Tim somehow survives, being left with the "slendersickness"?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Strictly speaking, that symbol is a tensor product operator. The word "operator" refers to any mathematical operation performed on some terms, so the act of multiplication, subtraction, addition etc. are all operators, and *, -, + are all "operator symbols" too, so I don't think maths is involved here.

I think the name comes from the season 1 credits, the thing was called "The Operator". No character has called it that in the series itself, though, as far as I'm aware.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 2, 2012

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
No, I reckon this is how it went down.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I'm really not a horror aficionado by any means, so I hope I don't sound like an ignorant fool, but this is really like nothing I've ever seen before. I mean yeah, Blair Witch comparisons are obvious, but I haven't really seen anything that actually exploits and subverts the nature of its own medium (e.g. screen tearing, sound distortion) to create scares and further plot, at least never to this extent. Can anyone recommend me anything even remotely like it? Probably the most fundamentally modern thing I've ever seen. So good.

If you like computer games, In Memoriam (I think it's called Missing Since January in the US) plays with its medium very well. The plot is that there's a serial killer on the loose round Europe and no one knows who he is, and he's kidnapped two journalists. The only evidence the police has is a CD-ROM with some minigames and data on it but they can't understand it, so they've released it to the general public for a small fee... you see where this is going.

The disc is only half the story, they set up a ton of professional-looking Internet sites for you to hunt for information on, e.g. the journalists' news network site, the personal blogs of some of the characters. You register your e-mail address with the game and you communicate with the characters through e-mails sent to you when you achieve certain parts of it.

It's a little more difficult now since when you search for clues the first few results will be walkthroughs or reviews of the game, but you can still play, and I absolutely recommend that you do. It's really stuck with me and involved me so much that it scared the hell out of me and got me really interested and caring about the characters.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Dark Harvest has been updating a bit more often, and I really like it, it's got a great atmosphere and is genuinely pretty creepy.

I'm trying to remember what's happened in Tribe Twelve:

There's been a few times Noah's tried to get away from the Observer, so he ran off to a hotel, but the Observer found him and took him again.

Noah got a call from Mary Asher, Milo's mam, which dealt with quite a lot of stuff, like the Nazi soldier's diary that Grandpa Karl found. It turns out that Milo's body was never found, and that's what happens to the victims of Mr Slim (Slenderman?) and some character called Mr Scars. Neither of them knows who Mr Scars is - I think the Observer mentioned the name when he took over Noah's Formspring.

Slenderman showed up on his birthday, he tried to shoot him but it didn't seem to do anything. Slendy rushed towards the camera... and that's where we're up to now.

There's probably a few things I've forgotten though, sorry.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

precision posted:

Dark Harvest is a slow burn but the last 5-10 entries they've done have been better than this season of MH. It's definitely worth checking out.

I just love Greg, bless him. He's so dim all the time when the others are trying to be cautious about the whole situation. RIP, you great big daftie.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I wonder why Jay didn't get the police involved when he saw the video of Alex murdering that guy? Sure, the Operator showing up in it makes it look like a hoax but he could've at least asked them to look at the guy's face and try to see if he'd been declared missing or something. It's something that's been a bit handwaved but at least acknowledged by other series: in EMH and Dark Harvest, the police have investigated but assumed it was a hoax, particularly in EMH when a dead body just disappeared, and left the protagonists on their own.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Amoxicillin and codeine are just an antibiotic and a painkiller, so at least on the first page he hadn't been prescribed any psychiatric medicine. Then again, I'm not sure what the standard practice is in America, but here in the UK they don't tend to prescribe things like SSRIs or other drugs for children because some can lead to an increased suicide rate. Maybe when Jay has a chance to look over the rest of the documents we'll find out more, if Tim had had any other kind of therapies or anything.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Ahh, I didn't catch the start of the list, sorry.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
When it says Tim had been suffering from "hallucinations", could that be when he'd seen the Operator, and the doctors hadn't believed that it was real?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

SporkTSI posted:

Requesting a Slendermom comic where she tells Tim to clean up his loving room.

Dammit Slendermom, stop tidying, he'll clean his own room

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 11, 2012

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That is absolutely beautiful. Glad it's getting shared, it deserves the attention.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
There's a theme of fires running through the series, and it's implied that the Operator had something to do with Jay's flat burning down, whether he causes people to set fires or he does it himself.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jersey Mike posted:

Alex didn't realize that our favorite supernatural tall guy was exactly that. That was possibly the first encounter he had with the Operator.

There was his birthday when he was a kid but no one seemed to notice the Operator then. That might be the first time he saw the Operator though.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That is really well done, thanks for it! Whoever they've got playing the baddie is fantastic at moving around in a really unsettling way. It's sort of fluid but unnatural at the same time.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Tennis Ball posted:

I want a MH/DH/etc type series except set in the deep south with a bunch of loving red necks and the entire series is 3 videos long, with it culminating with something banging on the inside of the wall then they just dispatch Slenderman with a shotgun.

Noah in Tribe Twelve tried shooting Slendy to no avail, and various people in EMH tried to stab it, beat it with a baseball bat or run it over and nothing seemed to work. Would be a laugh if it had though.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

jerkstore77 posted:

Didn't they just watch ski-masky put the tape there when they were following him in the last entry? How could the tape have been laying in that spot for a long time?

Maybe they were actually chasing him/her for days and there was a time hole or something. Or Ski-masky uses really nasty old tapes covered in mud. To be fair, it's hard to find cassettes these days.

Isn't Jay a film student? You'd think he'd know some ways of getting at least some footage off the tape rather than just saying "eh, it's dirty, it won't play".

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Why does Tim still have his Masky mask? If I knew I sometimes had episodes where I put that mask on and ran around causing havoc and scaring people, as well as going to my doctor (which he's done, to be fair) I'd get rid of the mask. Maybe Skimasky keeps giving him new ones.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

fullroundaction posted:

Skimasky wasn't seen until Entry 40 or 41 though, so they could definitely be a newer player in the game. Jessica disappeared after Entry 33, so (although I don't particularly think Skimasky = Jessica) the timing makes sense at least.

We know for certain* that Skimasky isn't J, Alex, or Tim, as they've all been in the same video as Skimasky at the same time.

*Assuming multiple characters aren't wearing the same costume and J isn't lying about being behind the camera when he posts entries.

We also saw Skimasky sneak up on Jay when he was asleep in his car, so whether Jay's lying or not, he's not Skimasky. Or at least, not the only Skimasky, you make a good point that there might be more than one.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

DicktheCat posted:

So no one thinks Skimasky is the girl from the start?

Looking at the way the clothes hang on the person, the fact that they never talk, or make noise, really, and the fact that it taunts Jay over losing her all leads me to think it could be her. That, and the way she disappeared.

I like this theory. Maybe when Slenderman captured Amy it recruited her for (whatever) or something else happened that made her become TTA. Though unless Alex already knew she was TTA, he doesn't seem like he's talking to his (ex-)girlfriend but it's hard to tell with him.

I can't remember from season 2, did Alex get Brian killed or is he still a possible TTA?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Whose face is that at about 12 seconds in on the left-hand side? It doesn't look like Jay, Alex or Tim - looks a little like Brian to me but I'm not sure.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I work with a dude who looks exactly like Evan but with shorter hair. I'm so glad I never mentioned it or introduced him to EMH.
That was much less disturbing than stabbing people and eating babies though.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Smoking in the woods? Really, Tim. :mad:

edit: I'm hoping that if they found more tapes from the original Marble Hornets film the series might turn a bit more like it was in Season 1, with the same sort of tension and trying to find more about what happened on the film set, with Sarah, Brian and Seth and everyone.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 13, 2013

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
The second one sounds like Louise Paxton.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Unfiction seems to think it's a cipher for a previously unsolved code. There's 26 digits, it could mean 3 = E, 4 = D, 5 = B, C or L, etc. But then that'd mean 0 = the whole second half of the alphabet and H. If the phrase mostly had letters from the start of the alphabet, fair enough, but it doesn't seem likely. I don't think it's latitude and longitude either because I can't break it up into minutes and seconds and if it's decimal it's somewhere in north-west Russia.

The string of numbers starts and ends with 65, which is A in ASCII, not sure if that means anything. Certainly if you split it up into pairs of numbers and convert it you don't get anything meaningful.

At least it's got 9s in it so we know it's probably decimal? :shrug:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

The Rokstar posted:

I solved it you guys! It comes out to

code:
BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE
...a crummy commercial? Son of a bitch.

Tim is a Masky

Slenderman's slave

Hit him with boulders

Burma Shave

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That sounds like Entry 23.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

The Ape of Naples posted:

I honestly think that part of the problem with anything involving Slenderman is coming up with a convincing SM. It's easy to make him seem invincible because it's just easier to have him stand there and be unmoved by any attack.

I've found SM in the first season of Marble Hornets for be scarier because he moved. The head turn in one of the first episodes was the most unnerving. Now he seems more like a totem than an adversary.

[I hope this makes sense. I'm too stupid to flesh it out more]

The Rake is a bit easier to do, I think - when he shows up in Whispered Faith and EverymanHYBRID it's very creepy because he has a jerky, unnatural, animalistic sort of movement. You may well be right about Slenderman, the head turn in Entry 6 still creeps the hell out of me (as does a similar thing in EMH when the real Slendy first shows up and his head shakes around). Tribe Twelve handles it the best I think, it looks like he animates the tentacles but when Slendy's messing up the camera it's much harder to see what's animated and what's live-action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Maybe more will become clear later but about 90% of that was pointless....which isn't any different than most of the entries.

I watch these when I remember to, which means that weeks or months go by before I remember and get caught up, but I feel like you have to be pretty dedicated to understand the overall story of this, because I'm confused as gently caress most of the time. Maybe I need to go rewatch.

Is there another Slender series that is worth watching? I started EMH and Twelve Tribes but didn't get to far.

I quite like DarkHarvest and Whispered Faith (though that one's The Rake rather than Slenderman), and just got into Keratin Garden, which really focuses on the "causing mental illness" aspect of Slenderman and, I think, handles it very well.

Something I thought was interesting about this entry is that Skimasky actually ate one of the pills. When they stole some from Tim's house last time, it looked like they were just doing it to deprive Tim of them so they could film him having a Slender-sickness episode, rather than keeping them for him/herself. Perhaps they get the same symptoms as Tim, or they're addicted to those pills?

It makes me wonder about Season 1. Jay found a bottle of pills in Brian's house way back in Entry 16 (probably Tim's since he was squatting/hiding there when he was Masky), and they were all gone by Entry 19.5. Jay says "I don't remember taking any of the pills. Then again, there's plenty of things I don't remember that still happened." What if Skimasky was breaking into houses and stealing pills even then?

Also I think the person in the window at the end looks like Jay, and it'd make sense for Tim's pills to be there if they're staying together. How Skimasky found them, I don't know.

edit:

sleeptalker posted:

There's also the flickery title card (if you go through frame by frame, the letters change between the normal font and the one ToTheArk uses) and the hidden "You are a failure" message in TTA font. I think it's pretty clear that TTA has access to the channel, but exactly how that's happening (hacking, being Tim/Jay, something else?) is still a mystery.

I reckon TTA just asked Jay the password and he forgot he told them.

It sounds daft, but bear with me on this. Some of the cast have shown up in TTA videos before, but only ever when they were Maskies or were otherwise not completely aware - most notably Jay in Return and Tim in Entry ######. Every other time it looks like they're being secretly filmed from a distance, or it was raw footage from Marble Hornets. And if a zoned-out Jay can be moved outside his room as in Return, perhaps he can also be manipulated into sharing his account password.

edit2: About 7 mins in when Skimasky's rummaging through the medicine cabinet, it looks like we get a glimpse of the pill bottle's label. Did anyone with sharper eyes than me catch it? Or is it irrelevant and the important thing is that they prevent Slender-sickness?

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 11, 2013

• Locked thread