Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Volume posted:

I thought we all agreed that it looked like Alex was sacrificing people to the Operator.

It's hard to take Entry 51 any other way. I guess the question is whether he was 100% under the Operator's control, or doing it to save his own hide or...some other crazy rear end reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CloFan posted:

(replying from the other thread so mods don't get butthurt about too many slendermans on the front page)

Mods changed that a few months ago, due to there being three or four slenderman threads going at once. We'll see if this thread suffers the same fate...

Thanks for the reminder. I locked the season 2 thread.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Wait, wasn't TTAs a nickname given to Tim/The Masked Man because he gained a bit of weight in between seasons? :raise:

No it's the dude that Jay thinks is stalking him through the park early on, but in fact he is just enjoying nature/standing creepily still for minutes at a time farting around with his iPod.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I thought we called that guy ToThePark. I'm so confused right now! :gonk:

Maybe someone who is less of a dick than me suggested that as an alternative, I dunno. Original context

Drunk Tomato posted:

cool thanks.

I would love to see Ipod man turn out to be TTA. Let's hope there is a TTA pretty soon recording Jay stumbling through those woods!

Docjowles posted:

Dude was pretty tubby, he looked more like To The Arby's.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Troy posted that the Season 2 DVD's have begun to ship! Time to do the mailbox version of :f5:

@WhatATroy posted:

The first batch of Season 2 DVDs were shipped out yesterday. Let me know what you think when you get them, first batch folks!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Someone gave Jay an anonymous tip about Brian's old house, though. It's hard to imagine it was anyone but Tim, no one else even knew Jay was looking for Alex. But that doesn't totally explain why he then tried to beat the poo poo out of/scare away Jay once he did show up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Could have been Alex trying to lure Jay there to stop him from looking into it, and Tim could have been watching out for him to protect him.

That's possible too, although it seems like by that point Alex is long gone and living with Amy in another city. But that's the fun of MH...we STILL really don't know poo poo despite having watched it for almost 3 years now :corsair:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EskimoFreeState posted:

Where geographically are they shipping from? Tennessee can't be too far...

I assume DVD/T-shirt orders are on the same schedule?

Got mine in today! They appear to ship from Los Angelas.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If any of you goons lives in 'bama, Troy (and possibly Joseph and Tim) is giving a talk about Marble Hornets at Auburn University!

Facebook posted:

Troy Wagner, director of and actor in YouTube series Marble Hornets, will be presenting and discussing Marble Hornets and his other works, sponsored by the Auburn University New Media Club.

The event will begin at 7pm in Student Center Room 2216 on Auburn University's campus and is open to the public.

Auburn University New Media Club will introduce Troy and his work by screening several Marble Hornets entries and then the event will proceed into a Q & A session that will finally be opened to audience participation.

Seating is first come first serve, but standing room is also available.

Season 2 DVDs of Marble Hornets have been confirmed as being available at the event, but any other merchandise can neither be confirmed nor denied. It is also very possible that Mr. Wagner's co-crew and co-actors, Joseph Delage and Tim Sutton, will be present for the event.

We hope to see everyone there and please invite your friends!

https://www.facebook.com/events/290921790972315/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had time to watch through all the commentary and extras tonight, really enjoyed it. There's a small amount of plot clarification throughout, but it's mostly anecdotes about the actors or poo poo that went wrong. Which I like :)

A couple things I remember them clarifying or pointing out (gonna spoiler this I guess since a bunch of people don't have their DVD's):

Maybe most importantly, the whole "criminal stretched out by trees" thing was just Alex being a loving weirdo, it is not meant as an origin story for the Operator.

When Tim and the other Masky tackle Alex and nearly hit him with a rock, that was supposed to be a warning, they didn't just gently caress up and miss.

In Entry 30, right when Jessica shuts the door to her room around 2:55, they talk about how there's a cardboard silhouette of "something" behind her. Can anyone see it? I can't but I have a small laptop screen. I can convince myself I see part of the Operator but that just feels like the Season 1 "Where's Slendo" game where most of the time it was jack poo poo :spergin:.

I'm sure there were more but those really jumped out at me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Troy's blog seemed to hint that the first entry would be 3/10 although in reality it was just a weird picture with some numbers so who knows. Personally I expect another flurry of tweets and/or photos, and the start of events that lead to the first S3 entry getting posted.

CollegeCop posted:

This was given a brief mention when the video came out:(last post at bottom of page)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368080&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22

Appears to have been pretty quickly dropped.

:stare: Goddam I couldn't see that on my screen at all. Without the guys having said "we put a prop behind her" I'd assume it was just some weird artifact, but apparently the Operator was possibly stalking her the whole time?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 28, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

"Oh, that little buttmunch that's always smoking on our front stoop? I called the cops and he's sitting in jail, guess he had a bunch of warrants out for stalking and B&E."

:ms:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

This has been my assumption. Something about wearing a mask interferes with the Operator's ability to to perceive or identify you, or makes him ignore you. I think it was Tim telling Jay to mask up.

Yeah that's always how I've taken Return, a not-so-subtle hint to Jay that he should really just put on the drat mask. Tim even leaves him one hanging on a doorknob in a future entry but Jay doesn't take it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Troy Wagner: master troll :argh:

How big is this goddam store anyway?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Shadow (Part 2) is up. It is, uh, uh, just watch it :suspense:

I get the distinct impression they read the whole thing in one take, having never seen it before. It owns.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Stottie Kyek posted:

Slendermom's Antiques

This is perfect :allears:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The end of that entry made me go back and rewatch my_final_betrayal. I forgot how badass that was.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They talk a bit about The Operator in the Entry 51 commentary (the one where Alex lures Brian to the ruined building). But it's just technical info, and info on an effect they tried and then scrapped at that. As far as I remember that is literally the only time they acknowledge him in either DVD; the commentary is very entertaining but don't watch it to find out anything about Slenderman :)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:siren: Very important twitter upda- :siren:

@MarbleHornets posted:

Just got back from waiting outside the clinic again. Still no sign of Tim.

oh. Nevermind, back to DEFCON 1.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh god dammit :saddowns: I can't even make fun of poo poo correctly.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yesssssss :circlefap:

Welcome back, Pehther! Season 2 was weird. Nothing happened in real time as it did in S1. Literally the entire thing except about the last minute was Jay watching stuff that already happened. We didn't know it wasn't the final season, so I kept expecting that cutover where Jay stops watching tapes and starts making them "now". And the whole thing did move kind of slow. But you should catch up, because I bet it won't feel slow if you just sit down and marathon it over 90 minutes vs months. And the last few entries are badass

Also with the obvious exception of the new Skimasky character, there's less to sperg about. Jay starts being slightly more explicit about what we should think, for better or worse.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh right, I'm not sure what I was thinking. The first section that ends with him getting chased out by Masky is all real time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh man, was not expecting this to be posted so early in the evening! Mountain timezone supremacy :whatup:

I don't think Tim is conscious of his Masky alter-ego. He'd have to be the smoothest loving operator (heh) of all time to get ambushed by Jay like that and not miss a beat. He's regularly hitting up a mental hospital, my gut says Tim's going in to talk about blacking out for days and waking up with broken bones or something and he honestly just has no idea about the other poo poo going on between "him", Jay and Alex.

Whatever the case may be, I have a big rear end grin on my face cause Marble Hornets is back.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm OK with more tapes as long as there's not a ton and it's not just filler. If it's big revelations like Entry 51, go hog wild. If it's more than a few "Alex hanging out with Slenderman subtly in the background"... ehhhh. I looove season 1, but that ship has sailed. We need some answers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

As they say in the Season 2 commentary, Jay wasn't even going to keep making TTA entries after S1. He eventually got talked into it but they were not meant to be crucial to the story. So I just don't see there being a super complex side-plot there.

However, Jay did drop a big hint that there could be multiple totheark posters. Since then, I've been thinking that any of the truly disturbing, hurtful videos (like the dead dog or the baby) are Alex trying to get Jay to just loving leave him alone, whether he's conscious of posting them or not. The rest are Tim/Masky trying to give Jay clues and goad him into action.

Edit: Re above, they said in the commentary that they probably won't give Slendy an origin story. At least not in the sense of "thousands of years ago, there was an ancient God, who wore a dapper 20th century business suit for some reason...". But I don't know if that covers spelling out why he is stalking/helping/whatever Alex or not.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Wait a second. Is skimasky also the second masky? Or is there just a lot of dudes who wish to remain anonymous?

I think we're aware of two masked people, someone chime in if I'm full of crap as usual. 1) Tim. 2) "Skimasky", a new masky introduced in S2. We see him/her return Jay's camera to his car after he drops it in the woods following an encounter with the Operator. Also I think we see him/her again when Alex chases the masked pair into the woods and Tim pretends to brain Alex with a rock.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IIRC Slenderman was frequently related to fire in the old Victor Surge thread, which ties in nicely with the forest fire painting in Alex's apartment and also the loving awesome burned-out buildings the guys get to film in.

Was there also an association with floods, or did that come in with Marble Hornets and later EverymanHYBRID? A lot of the early TTA videos had naval imagery, sounds of rainfall, "you are drowning" in the description etc. And if you've followed EMH, water and drowning is a constantly recurring theme. Just can't remember if that followed from the original Paranormal Images thread or not.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JordanKai posted:

2) TTA is Masky: This video is Masky trying to tell Jay that unlike his other half, he still remembers Jay and wants to continue doing... whatever he is doing;

For now (aka til I am proven hilariously wrong) I am sticking with Tim being unaware of his Masky alter-ego, so I'm down with this interpretation.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solid gold :cheers:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretty great tweet:

@marblehornets posted:

Just got back from meeting Tim. Got a bag full of tapes. Again.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dickeye posted:

Watching season one and so far the scariest thing is how loving terrible the Marble Hornets film in-series is.

There's a joke trailer for it on the season 2 DVD, and it is glorious.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Double posting for :supaburn: new entry incoming :supaburn: Tweeted about an hour ago.

@MarbleHornets posted:

Uploading Entry #54 later tonight.

https://twitter.com/!/marblehornets/status/184077838071234560

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haven't rewatched for much spergin'/where's Slendo, but that entry was both totally unexpected and pretty great. Initial reactions:

* After watching their comedy videos, DVD outtakes, Facebook etc it just felt real natural. I feel a little like a creepy Unfiction fan since I don't know these guys at all, but it seemed like they were just being themselves. As said already, "Guess what else is battery powered! was loving gold.

* Given the above.. was this whole thing before Alex was conscious of the Operator? Or is he the coldest motherfucker ever, playing lovely drum loops on his $10 keyboard while he plots their demise :ohdear:

* Stylistically, the tape is an obvious callback to Season 1 and I love it!

* There is a weird cut around 1:17 when Jay's talking to Tim

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Augh I didn't notice any of the Slenderman appearances at all, thanks for pointing them out. Season 2 made me into a slacker, homeboy was generally either obviously there or not (except that one where he was apparently in Jessica's room? Which to this day I cannot see even with them explicitly calling it out on the DVD). Need to get my Find the Operator chops back, it seems.

Dickeye posted:

Is it confirmed that season three is going to be the last one?

Yes, confirmed on Troy's blog.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A few other thoughts before bed. This entry rules more every time I watch it.

* Tim rolls the gently caress out after giving Jay the tapes, he's turned his back and gone around the corner before he's even done talking. Not going to change my mind on "Tim" being 100% ignorant of the Operator/Masky based on those 2 seconds of footage, but it was weird.

* I love how Jay is getting sick of this bullshit. "Unsurprisingly they are unnumbered and without dates :rolleyes:"

* At the start of the tape, Alex says (I think) "you got the other camera?" as they are running for some reason. Tim says "I got it". Maybe Liquid Dinosaur is right, this is a period between when Alex is aware of the Operator but before he goes batshit, so he got Tim to record him as a backup? Could lend more ammo to the theory that Tim remembers everything.

* The way they bob the camera to the lovely keyboard beat is a great touch :razz: Who was holding it at that time anyway, Jay? Seth?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

soupcan58 posted:

Which when Jay plays he wins the battle of the bands, The Operator is destroyed, and brings about world peace.

Marble Hornets: A three year long Tenacious D reference.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I remember hearing that too, although I couldn't tell you where.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that sounds right. He remembers making Marble Hornets in general, but there are events he doesn't recall. For example I am pretty sure he says he has no memory of the entry where Tim is standing in front of a window with Slenderman in the background.

As far as entry 15, I think it's a couple things. One, Jay doesn't start watching the tapes and posting entries til several years after Alex left. Tim and Jay were just two dudes who don't know each other working on the same awful film for a few months til Alex shut it down. It's not like they were best buds. Two, I think it was blatant foreshadowing that Tim is Masky or at least somehow involved in the supernatural poo poo going on. He's so shifty and awkward.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 3, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I thought Paranormal Activity was pretty good, absolutely HATED the ending, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Probably, I only watched the first one.

• Locked thread