Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I almost didn't recognize Alex. Anybody able to figure out what he's shouting at Skimasky? I'm not that good at lip reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
What I don't understand is that if Skimasky wants to cap Alex, why he doesn't just pull the trigger when our favorite S&M enthusiast shows up? The gun is probably still leveled at his noggin, all it takes is one twitch. Hell, seeing that thing would make me clench my hands into fists reflexively.

Its clear that since this clues us into it being Skimasky, in the abandoned hospital, with the lead pipe, he pretty much has zero concern for Alex. A metal pipe to the back of the noggin would cause a concussion at least, and probably outright kill him. This also means the hesitation to cap him is kind of contrived and stupid.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 16, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Zelmel posted:

I assumed he was looking for Tim, as he had left him there at least once.

Yeah, the room he looked into I think is the one that Tim was left in, the one with the writing on it. Then Tim starts coughing and Alex heads in that direction, prompting Skimasky to go up and smack him upside the head.

Considering this isn't the first time that Alex has tried to kill him, it wouldn't surprise me at all that he was there to do just that. Maybe S&M told him that Tim was there, nice and helpless.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

They've clearly worked together before, in a previous entry they tried to strangle Alex before SlimJim showed up.

I don't think the Tim we saw is the Tim we all know and love, I think it was Timasky, Tim during one of his...episodes.

I also get the feeling that Tim didn't want to kill Alex. Beat the poo poo out of him? Yeah, but not kill. That and Slendy might be watching and waiting to make sure his pet is in absolute mortal danger before popping up for...some reason. Tim beating the poo poo out of him is nothing if he can take a loving lead pipe to the brainpan. A pistol shot between the eyes is a bit harder to just brush off, I wager.

Did we ever get any ideas on who TTA was? I know everybody thought Masky was, now SkiMasky, but I'm starting to wonder if its not Alex trying to keep J enticed. He was the one supposedly that sent the video to J with Alex and his girlfriend/fiance/whatever getting attacked.

Edit: Should I be using spoilers? I don't want to ruin anything for anybody.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 17, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

But it's also been revealed that Skiimasky is probably TTA, who has been around since the beginning, if not earlier. Someone mentioned earlier that there's a chance that TTA is more than one person but I also think that would be kinda lame.

Jay commented on his twitter that they're so different with each one. One pushing him on, another telling him to stop, yet another chastising him for what he's caused simply through his meddling.

It is entirely possible, and plausible that TTA is multiple people. Hell, it could be a Multiple Personality thing, weirder mental problems have occurred with S&M involved.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I thought it looked more like "I am bad at acting," myself.

Looked more like pure unadulterated rage to me. Rage that says "You better kill me, because if I get free I am going to tear you apart limb from loving limb."

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

precision posted:

I think complaining about blocking is acceptable since it's something that costs no money and that even high school drama clubs (usually) get right.

If its supposed to be in a documentary style though, wouldn't it not being blocked perfectly 100% of the time add legitimacy to it?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

LobsterTick posted:

I dunno, I always thought that trying to shoot the Operator is a :siren:BAD IDEA:siren:

Eh, it just does gently caress all. I mean, you're trying to apply physics to something that can break the laws of physics just by existing. That poo poo don't fly.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Oasx posted:

For me it is kinda like someone getting mad at a tornado, it is just silly and pointless.

The sun shines, grass grows, bird sing, and the Slenderman Slenders things. Seems logical. Though I want to know where he keeps getting those plastic bags he stuffs those organs into. That was the one thing of the entire thing that made me just sort of go 'really?'

I mean its not like S&M can walk into the local grocery store and just buy a pack of Hefty garbage bags.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

They aren't really plastic. They just look like plastic. He extrudes them from his butt, kind of like a spider.

And now I can never find Slenderman scary ever again. :golfclap:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

mr.capps posted:

Are you kidding me? Do you not realize how much scarier Slenderman just got. He could poo poo a bag around your face and suffocate you to death. Can you imagine your final pitiful breathes being that of Slenderass?

:gonk: Oh GOD! I'm not going anywhere without some sort of sharp needle to poke holes in bags.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait, what? What is this referring to? I don't remember any plastic bags in the series.

In EMH they've encountered bags filled with Strawberry Kool-aid Blood and gore, and in Dark Harvest they found the site of a killing with what looked like organs hanging from trees.

Its also one of the original story bits. Victims are supposedly found with their bodies eviscerated and organs stuffed into plastic bags. Sometimes they're tied to trees, sometimes they're shoved haphazardly back into the bodies. Its general serial killer creepy, but doesn't really make all that much sense when you think of the Slenderman as some otherworldly being and not just some psychopathic serial killer.

Though I suppose now that my mind is wandering, what with all this cult business and the people who clearly follow S&M as some sort of god, it might just be one of their sick rituals. "Oh hey a dead body, our GOD HAS CHOSEN SOMEONE. Now we must perform the ritual. SOMEONE GO GRAB THE SANDWICH BAGGIES!"

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tennis Ball posted:

In DarkHarvest, I thought that was what happened. The cult was killing people, putting organs in bags, etc. to try to summon Slenderman.

I think the Cult doesn't really kill anybody unless they get really pissed off at them. I mean its possible, but highly unlikely. If that was the case, they'd have been identified as a commune by now by someone higher up in the government than the cult's planted members. Unless the people up top are just watching to see what happens. :tinfoil: Obama gets elected. And a cult starts operating with impunity, the cops do nothing, FBI is useless.

Coincidence?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe they just live somewhere that cults and communes are not illegal? Like america. If your cult/commune is hoarding guns, running drugs, or evading taxes the law will take an interest, but if you just want to dress funny and live peacefully you are no more interesting than the Amish.

:thejoke:

But in all seriousness, they seem to be a bit nutty, but they only Went after the Dark Harvest guys after they started snooping around.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Quite honestly, if suddenly there was a time warp and everything went back to before the HABIT trials BS, and they actually updated again, I'd be totally kosher with pretending that didn't happen. Otherwise its a giant clusterfuck. At first it was awesome, but then they delved into the requirement of having to look at Twitter, FormSpring, all sorts of stupid things. I get that an ARG needs to have multiple avenues of accessibility, but whats wrong with just every week or so having an update of 'This poo poo happened and we're telling you here because you pricks can't be arsed'.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
The guy they get to play SlenderMan should Peter Mayhew. Seriously, I met him once at Dragon*Con, really nice guy, but goddamn. His hands could envelop a small child easily and given a few minutes in costuming, could totally be the slender stalking entity.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Does Marble Hornets even use an actor for Slendy? It's just a prop, isn't it?

I think for the standing still bits, its a prop. for when he moves, its an actor. Like when he peeks around the corner in the small crawlspace under the hospital.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I suspect there's a strong correlation between which party has more money and which party wins any legal battle over intellectual property.

Yeah, that's the problem with Copyright law. Even if you can prove it, it doesn't matter because lawyers can pull things out sooooo long, that by the time you'd win, you're bankrupt and unable to pay your lawyer.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

That felt kinda pointless.

Agreed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Throwdown posted:

Wow, that was a whole lotta nothing.

eh, while I was irritated at first, they have to have some things where nothing happen to build up the suspense.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Skimasky is Future Jay, come back in time. Unfortunately the time travelling process does weird things to someone, he turned into a girl and started to go by the name Amy. He ended up hooking up with Alex to keep an eye on him, then did a vanishing act when poo poo hit the fan. After taking horomone treatments, he's back to being a male, but he's still got feelings for Alex, which is why he hesitated before blowing Alex's head off, those feelings aren't easy to ignore. :tinfoil:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

Dark Harvest is definitely worth a watch. It's kind of like TribeTwelve in that they copy a lot from Marble Hornets at first, but then begin to do their own thing later on. They have some really good entries. http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkHarvest00 Here is their channel. I just really enjoy the mood of their videos, and the places they film at are cool.

I heard somewhere they at one point had a different villainous spirit/creature in mind, but then they found out that everybody was looking for any hints or signs of slenderman and figured that it was what the people wanted.

That said the 'lost episode' of the egyptian experiments with the weirdass photo of the guy is creepy as gently caress.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

It's been a fun ride, but I'm glad the end is in sight. Can't wait to see what Jeff and the boys come up with next, if they decide to do another video project.

I really hope they do another horror one and try to not let it get quite as clusterfucky. As I said previously, if they wrote in a time warp scenario where it went back to juuuust before the Trials of Habit and started over from there, I'd be totally cool with it, as long as I wouldn't have to try and delve into the twitter/formspring/what the gently caress ever mess.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Docjowles posted:

The final version of Slender: The Arrival (the video game the MH guys wrote the plot for) is out now. I've only had a little time to play but it's suitably spooky, and Slenderman has already shown up once :gonk:

I do have to turn down the graphics so far that it looks worse than Doom to get an acceptable framerate, but my computer is a 4 year old laptop so that's not entirely their fault.

I managed to blaze through it while streaming it. If anybody wants to take a look its at http://www.twitch.tv/edwardtank/b/383175479

Its cut into about 3 sections and I talk about Marble Hornets and Slenderman a bit. Games a bit glitchy in the third level. Oh and uhh...sorry about the messenger noises, I'm still new to streaming. And I'm talking to a chat that isn't visible now. For christ sake, *sigh*.

Edit: Oh yes, PLEASE JUDGE ME!

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 28, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

elmer fud posted:

Is it worth buying?

Absolutely, great value for ten dollars. I got it at a steal for 5 due to the pre-order.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Oasx posted:

Liked the twitch playthrough E-Tank, looks like they added a lot of stuff to the original game. I would buy it if it wasn't for the fact that i do not enjoy games horror games at all.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Please, criticize me, I need to know what I hosed up and what I didn't. I know not to go for anymore In character stuff,

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

QuestWhat posted:

His entire audience consists of middle/upper class 12 year olds who have too much time on their hands and think rape jokes are funny. They're still too young to have any kind of self awareness, I hope… :ohdear:

Going back on topic, does anyone think Slender: The Arrival is worth the $10 price? (I'm in need of a good horror game) I just read the IGN review and the guy says that while scary, it's too repetitive (every level is just the 8 pages mechanic) and short (like less than an hour short).

It is very much worth 10 bucks. If you want to double check, on the page just before this, I linked a stream of the entire game by myself. Oh, and its not 'less than an hour' short, I spent about 3 hours on the game, and it is still terrifying.

Its not the 8 pages mechanic, its just that you have to go and find/do things. The story is there, and its written by Troy Wagner and the rest of the Marble Hornets team. There is a level that is a love letter to the original concept, having you gather 8 pages while running around, but the rest of it is pretty unique, and each level has something different about it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

How is the story, anyway? Does it play out well?

A lot of the story is told through files you find as you play, talking about how Kate first bumps into Tall, dark, and dickish and ultimately what happens. Imagine Marble Hornets with 90% of the faffing about excised. You have a goal, to find Kate. You go and look for her, not stopping and starting to wait for people to give opinions or suggestions.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 4, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Caseman posted:

Been trying to watch this since it was posted, and youtube seems to have completely forgotten how to stream video. Sweet jesus.

Thought it was only me....Probably because it's getting hammered by people trying to watch.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

I'll just make a wild-rear end guess that there are now things that can't show up on video but can be seen in real life. Or Jay is becoming a lot more like Alex with the paranoia and seeing things that don't actually exist.

I'd say the latter. Jay got pretty well mindfucked by Slender Man when he got his memory wiped. Who knows what small psychological quirks having the last six months of his memory torn out left on his mind?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Hugh Malone posted:

Sketchy wikidot theory :

He's a really nasty ghost of one of the condemned stretched to death on the trees in the forest around Rosswood. The suit is funeral garb.

Troy said that it wasn't the origin of Slender man, Alex was just trying to be a creepy gently caress and maybe warn Jay away.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Hugh Malone posted:

Red herring!

Dammit.

What, does Alex think Jay is five?
And how is that creepy after everything else Jay's seen?

Oh well. Thanks, E-Tank.

To be fair, Jay outright says "Huh, stretching people out on fast growing trees, horrible deaths of child murderers and whatnot, burning the trees down, and stopping when they found a child.....What does this have to do with what we're dealing with now?"

So its entirely plausible that Alex really does have that low of an opinion of Jay.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Forte posted:

I just realized how long ago I wrote that, and how not much has changed story wise.

Well to be fair, unless they come up with a huge plot twist, like Alex is actually Jay's Dad, FROM THE FUTURE COME BACK TO THE PAST TO RIGHT WHAT ONCE WENT WRONG or that the Slender Man is just that guy from Quantum Leap after god knows how long he's been stuck, leaping from body to body, there's not really that much they can change.

General thing seems to be 'Alex bad, Jay Good, Slender man ????, Must find Jessica.'

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Atoramos posted:

I think they just tried to make up some 'this is what happens to the children' twist that felt satisfyingly horrific.

Would have been better if the parents had been silent because they knew that the more people knew about Mister Tall, Dark, and Dickish, the stronger he gets.

The implication as the heroine is swallowed up in the darkness because she started digging into the Slender Man story, is that now that she knows all this, she's being taken.

And now the audience knows it as well.

For fun have a couple of screenings with a Slender Man prop standing outside the hallway as they leave the screen area.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Docjowles posted:

So basically, The Ring?

To be quite honest, I have never seen the Ring. So maybe, I dunno. :shrug:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

QuestWhat posted:

you need to find gas canisters for the generators before activating them and conserving your flashlight battery so it doesn't run out.

Oh gently caress me, I'm going to have to play through that on a stream at some point or another in order to get the secret ending because I told myself I'd stream Slender: The arrival from beginning to end...Fuuuuuck me.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

I'm sorry, didn't we have this plot twist in the first/second season? Where Jay ended up helping out around the set of the Marble Hornets only for him to say afterwards 'But I didn't do that, I don't remember it!'

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

muike posted:

Yeah well this time Alex is pregnant

AND TIM'S THE FATHER! :aaa:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
My apologies if this has been posted already, I just thought it was kind of funny, even if the choice of songs is horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnCea2Wm5jo Slender Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Ted the Caver owns, and after following these web horror series for years it's refreshing to read a nice short story that's all in one place and you can plow through in an hour. Ditto No Through Road and Dionea House.

I just sat down and read it all and my god I can't stop getting the willies. :magical:

• Locked thread