Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Judge strikes down Florida's SSM ban... but for the Florida Keys only.

Licenses can be issued starting Tuesday at the earliest. A couple of other lawsuits are still pending that could bring marriage equality to the entire state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ballz posted:

Licenses can be issued starting Tuesday at the earliest. A couple of other lawsuits are still pending that could bring marriage equality to the entire state.

Party on Duval ya'll!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oklahoma's ban overturned, but stayed pending appeal. That's in the 10th Circuit, where Utah's AG said he plans to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Oklahoma: only allowed nice things when they're symbolic and/or ultimately meaningless.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Chris James 2 posted:

Oklahoma's ban overturned, but stayed pending appeal. That's in the 10th Circuit, where Utah's AG said he plans to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Here's a link to the opinion:
http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/14/14-5003.pdf

Not much different than the Utah case, except that Justice Holmes is working very hard to keep the floodgates closed on animus review.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tears

quote:

The Christian Family Coalition of Florida called the ruling a “corrupt decision,” and a “judicial lynching of nearly 8 million Florida voters” who voted to ban same-sex marriage in 2008. John Stemberger, who led that 2008 campaign, said he would keep fighting. “This is an issue worth dying for,” said Stemberger, president and general counsel of the Florida Family Policy Council in Orlando. “Every domestic partnership, every single civil union, every couple that cohabitates, these arrangements dilute and devalue marriage.” Stemberger said he wasn’t “daunted” by Garcia’s ruling, nor was he surprised. “The court was very hostile to our position,” he said. “This is a very sad day for Floridians. This is an entirely illegitimate process. The judge had no legal authority in this decision.”

http://youtu.be/BEYsvgqX5tw

The video is worth watching because he is standing in from if Lincoln Memmorial

Edit: This is insane. Here are the results of the voting of Oklahoma Question 711 which banned same sex marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Question_711#cite_note-5

This has to be a record of overturning a ban that was favored by so many citizens

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 18, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

joat mon posted:

Here's a link to the opinion:
http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/14/14-5003.pdf

Not much different than the Utah case, except that Justice Holmes is working very hard to keep the floodgates closed on animus review.

Is Judge Paul Kelly literally the only judge so far who has ruled against same-sex marriage since the DOMA ruling?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

Is Judge Paul Kelly literally the only judge so far who has ruled against same-sex marriage since the DOMA ruling?

Yep, and even then his vote still didn't matter because the ban was overturned anyway. Since Prop 8/DOMA were struck down, gay marriage hasn't lost once during a judge hearing/ruling.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tears

http://youtu.be/BEYsvgqX5tw

The video is worth watching because he is standing in from if Lincoln Memmorial

Edit: This is insane. Here are the results of the voting of Oklahoma Question 711 which banned same sex marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Question_711#cite_note-5

This has to be a record of overturning a ban that was favored by so many citizens

Mississippi and Alabama passed theirs by 86% and 81%, respectively. It will be fun if theirs get overturned before SCOTUS rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banning_same-sex_unions_by_type

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

katium posted:

Mississippi and Alabama passed theirs by 86% and 81%, respectively. It will be fun if theirs get overturned before SCOTUS rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banning_same-sex_unions_by_type

That would require a gay couple to stay in Mississippi or Alabama long enough to try to get married. I can't see it happening any time soon.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

That would require a gay couple to stay in Mississippi or Alabama long enough to try to get married. I can't see it happening any time soon.

There's 1 lawsuit pending in Mississippi and 4 pending in Alabama.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I know the Family groups love empty incendiary rhetoric, but they make it sound like they're going to begin suicide bombing county clerk offices.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Not everyone has the money to move, you know.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Some people like their families and friends more than they hate their state. Otherwise there would have been a permanent gayflux to Massachusetts or Iowa a long time ago,

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I know it's hard to believe , but some people might even like living in those states.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

more friedman units posted:

I know the Family groups love empty incendiary rhetoric, but they make it sound like they're going to begin suicide bombing county clerk offices.

Not only is 'judicial lynching' a contradiction in terms, but they apparently have no idea what happens in an actual lynching.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

joat mon posted:

but they apparently have no idea what happens in an actual lynching.

I have a feeling that they probably do.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

platedlizard posted:

I know it's hard to believe , but some people might even like living in those states.

Stockholm syndrome's a bitch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh boy we've returned to "the south is a shithole how could anyone live there?!" phase of this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh boy we've returned to "the south is a shithole how could anyone live there?!" phase of this thread.

What didn't you get the memo, literally no bigotry exists in glorious Mass.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What didn't you get the memo, literally no bigotry exists in glorious Mass.

Boston busing crisis, what's that?!

Edit: Also, Bill Russell called Boston the most racist city he ever was in.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My sister recently told me an interesting fact about the Mississippi River: by the time it reaches the Gulf of Mexico all the water in it has passed through an average of four different sets of human kidneys. lovely might not be the proper term.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Obama to sign executive orders protecting gay and trans workers without new religious exemption.

:toot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

Naturally it's the Conch Republic that gets the ball rolling on this, but I'm hopeful that my state will bow to what is both inevitable and right. Tallahassee's going to fight this tooth and nail, I suspect, but I think most of the state is ready to go along with it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm actually surprised people are making such a big stink about this. "Government contractors" seems like a fairly narrow group, and they should be used to dealing with more stringent conditions than other companies.
Is it just people being outraged on principle, or are there actually some sorts of contractors I'm not thinking of that would be significantly affected?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zachol posted:

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm actually surprised people are making such a big stink about this. "Government contractors" seems like a fairly narrow group, and they should be used to dealing with more stringent conditions than other companies.
Is it just people being outraged on principle, or are there actually some sorts of contractors I'm not thinking of that would be significantly affected?

Reminder that "Contractors" includes the entire military industrial complex, and that's just a subset.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah the biggest employer in the United States is the government, doubly so when you include contractors.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Yeah the biggest employer in the United States is the government, doubly so when you include contractors.

quote:

The administration officials said the change for federal contracting will impact some 24,000 companies with 28 million workers, or one-fifth of the U.S. workforce.

So, I mean, it's not everyone, but it's literally 20% of the US workforce, so it's not exactly nothing.

(Remember that even if you don't work on government contracts, if your company is a contractor, you'd be covered as a result - so IBM employees who work on commercial servers are covered because IBM does federal contracting, etc.)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, Obama is keeping the exemption for religiously affiliated contractors that allows them to favor practitioners of their own particular religion. Which isn't particularly bad when you consider the broader ramifications of striking that clause down, but it does mean that some organizations will at the very least have some leeway.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

more friedman units posted:

Considering the kind of poo poo the anti-choicers have perpetrated, I wish I could say that I'm confident they aren't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

For what it's worth, Obama is keeping the exemption for religiously affiliated contractors that allows them to favor practitioners of their own particular religion. Which isn't particularly bad when you consider the broader ramifications of striking that clause down, but it does mean that some organizations will at the very least have some leeway.

They can't disqualify people as being "not (eg) Christian" just because they're gay, though.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

They can't disqualify people as being "not (eg) Christian" just because they're gay, though.

no, but it might get a little weird if it's a Catholic or Orthodox Jewish organization, for example, with a religious practice that specifically forbids homosexuality. I'm not entirely sure how you'd work around that and I'm guessing it'll end up as another case in front of SCOTUS down the line. Now that I think more about it, I'm rather surprised that it isn't already as it's essentially "no true Scotsman" enshrined in law and there are numerous other areas besides sexual orientation wherein things might get legally dicey..

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

no, but it might get a little weird if it's a Catholic or Orthodox Jewish organization, for example, with a religious practice that specifically forbids homosexuality. I'm not entirely sure how you'd work around that and I'm guessing it'll end up as another case in front of SCOTUS down the line. Now that I think more about it, I'm rather surprised that it isn't already as it's essentially "no true Scotsman" enshrined in law and there are numerous other areas besides sexual orientation wherein things might get legally dicey..

Literally all it means is a Catholic business can favor Catholic contractors.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Obama signed the executive order today.

Also the 4th Circuit (Virginia, WV, North Carolina, and South Carolina [also includes MD but it's already legalized there]) is expected to make their ruling before August.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
We've got another Republican on board:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/21/republican-rep-david-jolly-fla-supports-gay-marriage/

But with a name like that, how can you not? :3:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Huh, I never would've guessed it was Jolly. But now that I think about it, his district is trending more and more purple every year and has a pretty large lgbt community, so this might be a savvy move to trot it out in 2016 against any would-be Democratic challenger. And by waiting until after the November filing deadline conservatives can howl RINO now but they'll vote for the libertarian candidate hold their noses and vote for him anyways.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Amazing how what would be total betrayal in the midwest is a savvy move in a swing state. I wonder if it's truly part of sea change, or if I'm not just looking at huge, irreparable cracks in the R foundation.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Amazing how what would be total betrayal in the midwest is a savvy move in a swing state. I wonder if it's truly part of sea change, or if I'm not just looking at huge, irreparable cracks in the R foundation.

Why not both?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Even notoriously lovely Governor Rick Scott is dodging questions about marriage equality now, and the FL AG office isn't really fighting too hard to defend the traditional marriage amendment that passed in 2008. We'll get marriage equality here probably by end of 2015 if not sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skaboomizzy posted:

Even notoriously lovely Governor Rick Scott is dodging questions about marriage equality now, and the FL AG office isn't really fighting too hard to defend the traditional marriage amendment that passed in 2008. We'll get marriage equality here probably by end of 2015 if not sooner.

Yeah, Rick Scott would rather line his pockets with taxpayer money than waste time fighting marriage equality.

• Locked thread