Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Sixth Circuit usually posts its opinions by about 10a eastern. We're going on noon without anything.

It might be happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Teddybear posted:

The Sixth Circuit usually posts its opinions by about 10a eastern. We're going on noon without anything.

It might be happening?

I one opinion posted today, not ours though. http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/newopn.pl

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nth Doctor posted:

I one opinion posted today, not ours though. http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/newopn.pl

6th! :argh:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Twelve by Pies posted:

No it doesn't you idiots. I mean I'm used to Christians not knowing what their own holy book says but this is ridiculous.

I liked this one:

"Without a Christian vision of marriage, we have no Christian vision of the gospel."

Which is probably the dumbest thing I've heard all year, and I teach college freshmen.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

They're waiting till after the election. Which is a shame because I would love to watch Rick Snyder and Bill Schutte squirm.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

The first same-sex couple to be married in Wyoming looks on while a Unitarian Universalist minister officiates the second wedding in front of the Laramie County Courthouse this morning.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

First the Northeast, then the West Coast, then the Mormon Belt. Just as we all expected.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hey, don't be so quick to forget the Midwest.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hey, don't be so quick to forget the Midwest.

The sixth circuit has. :sigh:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My favorite Otter is not giving up

quote:

Idaho Gov. Butch Otter announced today that he's filing a petition with the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals for an en banc re-hearing of Idaho's same-sex marriage case. “I will continue defending Idahoans’ self determination and the will of Idaho voters who decided that traditional marriage is a core principle of our society,” Otter said in a statement. He said his office will file the petition later today. An en banc review at the 9th Circuit, because the circuit is so large, would mean that a larger 11-judge panel would re-hear the case, after a three-judge panel made the decision earlier. In smaller circuits, an en banc review is a rehearing by the full court. Otter and Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden earlier requested that 9th Circuit assign a full 11-judge panel to hear Idaho's case in the first place, rather than a three-judge panel; that request was denied. Wasden is not joining with Otter in today's petition.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2014/oct/21/otter-says-hell-file-petition-en-banc-review-9th-circuit-ruling-idahos-gay-marriage-case/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 22, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

The sixth circuit has. :sigh:

Oh, right. I forgot about you guys since I'm in seventh and my friend's moms in MI were one of the lucky couples to get married during the short window. Keep up the good fight though! Us states slightly to your west are cheering for you!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mdemone posted:

I liked this one:

"Without a Christian vision of marriage, we have no Christian vision of the gospel."

Which is probably the dumbest thing I've heard all year, and I teach college freshmen.

It's a reference to the "marriage is a representation of Christ's love for the church" thing that actually is in the bible. Basically if two "churches" (women) can get married then that's like saying God isn't necessary! Or something. It is dumb, but at least that statement is at least somewhat based on something the bible actually says, unlike the other comment.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
It's funny because the Romans oppressed early Christians for, among other things, trying to destroy the traditional Roman family by preaching that you should leave your spouse if you have one (or never marry if you don't) and dedicate you life to worshipping God & being chaste. The mere fact that there was a religion telling women that it was good to ignore their parents and husbands was seen as a major attack on the Roman family. It's pretty hilarious seeing the exact same arguments that had been used by the Romans to feed Christians to the lions be used by Christians to oppress lbqt people.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

We should make a quiz show. The only question will be "How much tax payer money will Otter waste?"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The prize should be the same amount taken out of Otter's personal bank account and put into the Idaho department of Education.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
A judge turned down a challenge to Puerto Rico's same-sex marriage ban. Cited Baker v. Nelson as precedent.

http://equalityontrial.com/2014/10/21/challenge-puerto-rico-sex-marriage-ban-dismissed/

Ninja Edit: It's being appealed to the 1st Circuit, apparently.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The 1st Circuit will overturn it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Even if Baker v. Nelson is SCOTUS precedent, haven't precedents been replaced in the past? Plessy v. Ferguson used to be precedent, but Brown v. Board arguably overturned that, didn't it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A 40+ year old case is precedent, but none of the recent cases that ruled contrarily are?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Baker has not been overturned by SCOTUS and was explicitly upheld in the 1st Circuit DOMA case. It's an interesting decision. The judge decided that Baker prevails, regardless of Windsor chipping away at the legal justification for treating same sex couples differently.

Geidner found this amazing passage. I glossed over the giant list before I realized that was the point.

Unlike *unrelenting list* I'm doing things my way!

e:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 22, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Boy, if the 1st circuit ends up being the circuit split...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If a circuit court was to disingenuously create a split, Puerto Rico is by far the smallest affected population to be strung along in the meantime.

e: Forgot Pennsylvania was a state ruling. The Virgin Islands are much smaller.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 22, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

A bit off topic, by why the gently caress is Purto Rico in the same circuit as eastern New England?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kilonum posted:

A bit off topic, by why the gently caress is Purto Rico in the same circuit as eastern New England?
I could not find a reason but managed to find the original bill (chap. 22) [pdf] and record of the vote.

I thought it was because the 1st was the smallest Circuit but it's not true. Maybe they expected the Florida population boom? Or the 1st had fewer cases per capita?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Honestly I think it was to dissuade all those uppity hispanics from appealing their cases due to the longass trip to Boston it would entail. Made even more hellish by the difference in climate in winter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I thought it was because the 1st was the smallest Circuit but it's not true. Maybe they expected the Florida population boom? Or the 1st had fewer cases per capita?

It's probably just because the circuit is the eastmost available. They also sit in PR for 2 weeks a year (in March and November) apparently.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The 5th circuit set a date for oral arguments on Texas and Louisiana to begin on the week of Jan 5th. We won't know who will be on the three judge panel until the week before arguments.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kansas' ban struck down, but the judge put a stay on until the 11th.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Not a lot going on in the ruling. The Utah case (Kitchen) is binding in the 10th Circuit.

Time for a last minute surge by Brownback!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
More good news! Be ready to add one more holdout to the count

http://www.thestate.com/2014/11/03/3788090/exclusive-federal-judge-gergel.html

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Missouri state judge struck down their ban, licenses already being issued

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chris James 2 posted:

Missouri state judge struck down their ban, licenses already being issued

Equality in my home state! I seriously thought MO and KS would be among the last...

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Hurry the gently caress up Kentucky

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

So all we need is one of Ohio, Kentucky, or Tennessee? Then the thread goal will be achieved and Uncle Sam will come down from the heavens and give everyone a fist bump.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

So all we need is one of Ohio, Kentucky, or Tennessee? Then the thread goal will be achieved and Uncle Sam will come down from the heavens and fist everyone.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Back to SCOTUS we go! (6th Circuit upholds marriage bans)

http://www.afer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2014-11-06-MI-.pdf

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
6th Circuit just split, upheld the marriage bans in MI, OH, TN, and KY. Time for the SCOTUS smackdown. :munch:

http://www.afer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2014-11-06-MI-.pdf

If I understand correctly the SCOTUS can play the same game they have been playing and immediately punt it back to the 6th Circuit, with a "Nope, try again!", right?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2014

Doggone God
Feb 13, 2011
From the opinion:

quote:

When the courts do not let the people resolve new social issues like this one, they perpetuate the idea that the heroes in these change events are judges and lawyers. Better in this instance, we think, to allow change through the customary political processes, in which the people, gay and straight alike, become the heroes of their own stories by meeting each other not as adversaries in a court system but as fellow citizens seeking to resolve a new social issue in a fair-minded way.

IANAL but isn't this a really weird reasoning? Like, in Loving v. Virginia, I'm sure the plaintiffs were fine with judges and lawyers being the heroes and not have their rights granted piecemeal on a state-by-state basis.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
So can SCOTUS still accept the case now, or do we have to wait until their next term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's all of the marriage cases in the Sixth outstanding consolidated (but titled as DeBoer v. Snyder). So now, it's up to the Notorious R.B.G. to get the other three liberals to give cert to Love v. Beshear because it's the best case name ever.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread