Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mymla posted:

Maybe they should try preaching about peace, love and forgiveness like that dude from the bible did.
He was kind of a minor figure in the bible, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I can't find any results from Ireland, am I looking in the wrong place or are they not releasing them?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I can't find any results from Ireland, am I looking in the wrong place or are they not releasing them?

Counting starts in the morning. Results expected around mid afternoon.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teddybear posted:

Counting starts in the morning. Results expected around mid afternoon.

Thank you.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Plavski posted:

Galway is a strange mix of hyperactive young people - it's a college town and well known for having one of the best arts scenes outside of Dublin - and insular country folk. Galway and its environs are where most of the countries native Irish speaking population live. This means it's pretty heavily split between younger "don't care about no religion" types and older "religion is everything" types.

As an example, I'm married into a very tough Catholic family who have been hardcore from birth - my wife's granddad sits in church every Sunday between 3am and 4am because there always has to be someone in to watch over the Host; the community has a rota. In the family you can really see how religion has fallen away in importance.

Bridie, her grandmother, is totally mass-going, and huge with the church; she's crazy for it. But she has a gay nephew, and completely disagrees with the church's teaching on homosexuality - this has caused her to question other aspects of the faith. Even me, as a filthy unbeliever, am welcome just as much as her own children. My mother-in-law has inherited much of that Catholicism, but has mixed it with whatever she thinks is worthwhile at the time - reincarnation, pre-marital sex etc. And my wife is crazy atheist, and her young nephews and nieces actively take the piss out of the priests and mock the church, while their parents just laugh about it.

It's really fascinating to see how hardline Catholicisim is falling away from these generations. Bridie's grandchildren will all grow up atheist as none of their parents are mass-going Catholics. I think it's hard to pin this on any single factor like pedophilia, or doctrinal abuses, and more on a gradual societal change. Ireland is throwing off its old-world closed-mind shackles and embracing a global community. It's becoming harder and harder to justify being a Catholic when all its most vocal proponents (Ronan Mullen, Fidelma Healy-Eames etc.) are such appalling hate-mongers. There's a huge gay community here in Galway and such hardline stances just don't wash anymore.

Having said all that, there were some tracksuit-wearing feens walking down Shop Street shouting at one of their friends, "Ah, I bet you're gonna vote yes for the faggots!" So some change isn't everywhere.

I lived in Dublin as a foreigner for a couple of years. It was surprising to me how anti-Catholic and progressive the people were. Not just on the campuses (though definitely there) but also when you'd start a conversation with a random person. The issues felt much more alive than in the Netherlands, where these things are sometimes taken for granted. It's an exciting atmosphere.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Early tallies are coming in and there are strong indications it's going to pass. Happily Galway is looking like a resounding Yes: 14% counted, 60% Yes. People are predicting a landslide based on the first counting.

Update: Limerick, Dublin, Mayo, Kildare, Meath, Cork, Galway and a whole load of other places are voting a resounding Yes.

Gay marriage in Ireland folks, it's a brave new world.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 23, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
""I think it's won. I've seen bellwether boxes open, middle-of-the road areas who wouldn't necessarily be liberal and they are resoundingly voting yes," Equality Minister Aodhan O'Riordain told Reuters at the main count center in Dublin."
Reuters

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dublin North Central is 69% Yes. Unheard of.

Dublin in its entirety is voting yes it seems. Countrywide, it's currently looking at a 2:1 win for the Yes side.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why is it being voted on in Ireland, anyway? With this level of support, I figured it could have happened either through the courts or the legislature with no problems.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why is it being voted on in Ireland, anyway? With this level of support, I figured it could have happened either through the courts or the legislature with no problems.

It requires a change to the constitution, and all changes to the constitution have to go before the people in a referendum. It was what was laid out when Ireland became a republic. This means things like Divorce had to go to a public vote and only passed by one vote per ballot box. As a Brit, I'm not allowed to vote in referendums to change the constitution, even though I've lived here for 20 years. Another hangover from the rebellion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

It requires a change to the constitution, and all changes to the constitution have to go before the people in a referendum. It was what was laid out when Ireland became a republic. This means things like Divorce had to go to a public vote and only passed by one vote per ballot box. As a Brit, I'm not allowed to vote in referendums to change the constitution, even though I've lived here for 20 years. Another hangover from the rebellion.
Oh, stuff like marriage and divorce are in the constitution there? That's different.

edit: I guess I'm not one to talk, with gun ownership in mine.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 23, 2015

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, stuff like marriage and divorce are in the constitution there? That's different.

edit: I guess I'm not one to talk, with gun ownership in mine.

Like the US constitution, it came out of a period of intense internal struggle and wasn't made as carefully as it could have been. Unlike the US constitution though, the Irish one is bogged down by Catholic dogma and this is what we've spent the last 20 years trying to remove. We're aiming for a purely secular document, but it's hard-going.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

There actually was a court case involving two women married in Canada, but the courts found that the constitution defined marriage as involving a man and a woman only (Zappone & Anor -v- Revenue Commissioners & Ors). So a same sex marriage law passed by the legislature would be open to constitutional challenge. So a constitutional amendment was required, which in Ireland requires a referendum.

Plavski posted:

As a Brit, I'm not allowed to vote in referendums to change the constitution, even though I've lived here for 20 years. Another hangover from the rebellion.
When I get a vote on your constitution you can vote on ours :v:

Standish fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 23, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Dear The Gays,
You're welcome. :smug:

Yours sincerly,
Ireland.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Standish posted:

When I get a vote on your constitution you can vote on ours :v:

I can vote for the Taoiseach, but I can't vote to help the gays. 20 years of residency and taxes aren't enough for that it seems.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Glad to see it happening here in Ireland.

Whereas my home country Northern Ireland wants to make it illegal for the gays to buy cake.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm watching Europeans melt down over "degeneracy" right now, feels good mane

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Equine Don posted:

Where's that happening?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Equine Don posted:

Please post any video links. Be it Satanism or The Gay Agenda (which are normally conflated), watching people panic over this poo poo is the height of hilarity for me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pesmerga posted:

Where's that happening?

Some other place that's not here.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Some of the highest yes votes were in the working class areas of Dublin.

Plavski posted:

I can vote for the Taoiseach, but I can't vote to help the gays. 20 years of residency and taxes aren't enough for that it seems.

The law is quite clear. Only Irish citizens can vote in referendums to change to constitution . Its nothing to do with taxes or residency. You've been here for 20 years you should know that by now.

edit: btw, Nobody "votes for the Taoiseach".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As a Dutchman I welcome the Irish to modern times regarding Marriage Equality. :toot:
Now we just need to fix our own increasing outdated laws regarding other issues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bpower posted:

The law is quite clear. Only Irish citizens can vote in referendums to change to constitution . Its nothing to do with taxes or residency. You've been here for 20 years you should know that by now.

If you have the right to vote for your leaders you probably should have the right to vote for changes in your national foundation of laws, though. Like, it's either all or nothing for the 'do you have a stake in this country or not?' Obviously some random spending a summer in Ireland doesn't but a dude living there for years is equally affected as the people born there, isn't he?

Legitimately asking on that last one I don't know if this some weird 'actually you're not technically covered by these laws so you don't really have a stake in them' kinda thing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pesmerga posted:

Where's that happening?

Couple of hours ago on RTÉ there was a senator (I think?) being all passive aggressive about the tone of the campaign

Equality Minister

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bpower posted:

I can vote in the party that decides to have a referendum but I can't then vote in that referendum. I am all too aware that is the reality, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The catholic church in Ireland are finally realizing they are hosed in steering the country from now on.

Stouffer
Sep 3, 2011

For the love of God think what you're doing!

happyhippy posted:

The catholic church in Ireland are finally realizing they are hosed in steering the country from now on.

Yeah, it's a real 'icing on the cake' thing. Hopefully this will inspire politicians to focus more on social issues and stop pandering to the religious crowd if they want all those sweet youth votes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm reading it was 70% yes which is a goddamn landslide

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Stouffer posted:

Yeah, it's a real 'icing on the cake' thing. Hopefully this will inspire politicians to focus more on social issues and stop pandering to the religious crowd if they want all those sweet youth votes.

If there is a referendum on repealing the 8th amendment (the right to life for the unborn) I think you may be disappointed

Stouffer
Sep 3, 2011

For the love of God think what you're doing!

kustomkarkommando posted:

If there is a referendum on repealing the 8th amendment (the right to life for the unborn) I think you may be disappointed

I know, that'll be a way trickier and probably more controversial one. A lot of my friends who voted yes in this referendum would be opposed to abortion. But a lot of people opposed divorce too, so you never know!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm reading it was 70% yes which is a goddamn landslide

This is what polling predicted but people were cautious about the results thinking a shy conservative factor would increase the no vote. Also, there was a fear of complacency - the last referendum (on abolishing the senate) made it look like yes would win comfortably but on the day turn out was low and the no side mobilized better and won by a hair.

Still think we're looking at something in the 60-70 yes range, the rural vote will pull things down a tad

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Still think we're looking at something in the 60-70 yes range, the rural vote will pull things down a tad

Sad part is, if Florida put same-sex marriage up to a popular vote for a constitutional amendment and got that amount, it still probably wouldn't pass. :( I hate my state at times.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

This is what polling predicted but people were cautious about the results thinking a shy conservative factor would increase the no vote. Also, there was a fear of complacency - the last referendum (on abolishing the senate) made it look like yes would win comfortably but on the day turn out was low and the no side mobilized better and won by a hair.

They seem to be reporting 65% overall from what I can tell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cythereal posted:

Sad part is, if Florida put same-sex marriage up to a popular vote for a constitutional amendment and got that amount, it still probably wouldn't pass. :( I hate my state at times.

That requirement was put in specifically to prevent a "51% say Gays should be sterilized, it passes!" law from happening.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

They seem to be reporting 65% overall from what I can tell.

62% with over half of the constituencies reporting. Still got a lot of Dublin to go though.

Also you are dead to me Roscommon

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 23, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

computer parts posted:

That requirement was put in specifically to prevent a "51% say Gays should be sterilized, it passes!" law from happening.

True, fair point. Just a frustrated bi individual in the American South.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

62% with over half of the constituencies reporting. Still got a lot of Dublin to go though.

Also you are dead to me Roscommon

They're saying it was really close in Roscommon, but still, it's sad.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Plavski posted:

They're saying it was really close in Roscommon, but still, it's sad.

Its only about a 3% difference but still.

Donegal Southwest went yes with a majority of 0.10%, looks like the tightest result so far.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Sent around a few 'I hear you can get married now, gratz' to straight friends.
Best reply is 'You asking?'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

computer parts posted:

And the requirement for a 60% vote only passed by 56%.

• Locked thread