Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can one of the activists who tore down confederate flags do a home run, climb up there and replace it with a Dildo ISIS flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Oh no, we're doomed

Dooooooooooooooooooooooed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You have to remember that they believe their opinions match those of a being who is Correct by default. However much they claim otherwise, it is literally beyond their understanding that their beliefs are opinions and not facts ingrained into the very fabric of the universe. Like one of the things you posted earlier, it's a fantastic way to avoid facing up to being wrong about anything.

Well even by the metric of a correct by default deity...I've yet to see a good reason to justify using that as the basis for policy and law that applies to non-believers of that faith

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Well even by the metric of a correct by default deity...I've yet to see a good reason to justify using that as the basis for policy and law that applies to non-believers of that faith
God will destroy New Orleans with hurricane and lighting like he did with Gomorrah if homosexual men are no longer restricted to having orgies in the street, but are also allowed to legally marry each other.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Americans protest gay marriage by eating fried chicken.

Fried chicken where one of the prime ingredients is powdered sugar. :barf:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Chief Justice Roy Moore has been tying himself in knots in interviews trying to say that he doesn't support the decision and it is unconstitutional while also clarifying that he isn't telling people what to do but in his opinion they shouldn't do anything but please don't marry the gays. He's doing his best to leave himself legally free and clear while still pushing for probate judges to take one for the team.

30+ Alabama counties are ignoring him, and 22 are acting confused and refusing to issue licenses.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The prevailing thought now should be that with gay marriage legal and acceptable in the United States, it should be easier to pass laws to protect LGBTs, right? Specifically in workplace discrimination, homelessness (not sure how you can make laws to support ending that), and bullying.

I know it was talked about that there's plenty of issues facing LGBTs outside of marriage and there was a thread about it, and I think it's time America begins talking about them in hopes that people don't resort to "jeeze, you got your gay marriages, why do you want more?" type situations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

jivjov posted:

One of those same guys from my last photo just replied with the following, and I honestly think it broke me a little bit:

This just seems like Rick Santorum's "It is what it is :shrug:" argument

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Onion outdoes itself

quote:

Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New Age Of Liberal Darkness'

CHARLOTTE, NC—With the savage roar of the heathen Democratic horde rising all around him, President Barack Obama delivered an incendiary speech to close his party’s national convention Thursday night, commanding the ultraprogressive minions in attendance to help him “destroy Jesus and usher in a new age of liberal darkness that shall reign o’er the earth for a thousand years.”

The thunderous 45-minute address—during which the president argued for a second term so that he could “finally kill Jesus once and for all, as well as all those who worship him”—was well received by the frenzied, wild-eyed audience, whose piercing chants of “Four more years!” and “Slaughter the believers!” echoed throughout the Time Warner Cable Arena.

“My fellow Americans and godless infidels, I command you to join me as we cast an endless pall of far-left evil across the hills and valleys of our nation!” Obama bellowed from the stage, as thousands in attendance moaned in compliance and gyrated their hips and groins in a lascivious dance. “Together, as a barbarian people forged by the wicked flames of irreligiosity and united by visions of a liberal dystopia, we will rise up as one to scorch the earth with boundless amorality.”

“The streets shall run red with the blood of forced sodomy, performed daily upon every American man, woman, and child!” the commander-in-chief shouted, froth forming around his mouth as the crowd threw hundreds of aborted fetuses onto the stage. “Die, Christians, die!”

Slamming his fists on the lectern until his hands began to bleed, Obama proceeded to lay out a “three-point plan of sin and lechery” for his second term. If reelected, the president said, he would begin by banning organized religion entirely—starting with Christianity—and burning all churches to the ground, preferably “with their wretched, Jesus-loving congregants still huddled inside like rats.”

As members of the audience violently tugged at their genitals and howled like sex-starved, atheist wolves, Obama stated that his administration would then seek to make free, taxpayer-funded abortions legal at any stage of pregnancy, even up to one full year after birth, in order to supply his newly created “federal stem-cell harvesting plants” with raw materials.

In addition, the cackling president vowed to “end traditional marriage as we know it” by passing legislation that would allow only homosexuals to raise children, a longtime Democratic policy goal.

“A glorious new age of sinister, unconstrained liberalism is dawning! Oh, dear Satan, I can feel it coursing through my veins at this very moment!” shrieked Obama, ripping off his shirt to reveal an ornate tattoo of a pentagram, with a different homosexual act positioned at each of the star’s five points. “Agnosticism, contempt for human life, and radical sexual experimentation shall rule the day! Any good, virtuous, family-values-oriented Christian Americans who seek to topple our magnificent liberal kingdom of eternal darkness will be powerless to stop us! We will crush them!”

Added Obama, “Thank you, may Satan reward you all, and may God tremble in fear at the United States of America!”

The president was then handed an unbaptized, orphaned newborn baby drenched in the blood of 666 slaughtered Christians, which he handed over to its new, gleefully squealing homosexual parents.

http://www.theonion.com/article/obama-help-us-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-29478

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That was from 2012. The Onion, as usual, predicting the future.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If a god existed and didn't like gays it wouldn't make gays. QED. Unless it was a mean god(s) and just wanted to torture people, in which case we can't fight it anyway so don't worry.

Lol cults.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

effectual posted:

If a god existed and didn't like gays it wouldn't make gays. QED. Unless it was a mean god(s) and just wanted to torture people, in which case we can't fight it anyway so don't worry.

Lol cults.

You should post some of these sick burns on reddit for internet fun points, bruh :thumbsup:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cingulate posted:

There isn't really any detail on which the Bible has only one perspective.

Normatively, the Bible tends to prefer one-man-one-woman-forever, but it also explicitly allows a bunch of other stuff, including polygamy.

Don't forget that the Bible asupports marrying children too, since there is explicitly no age of consent given whatsoever, and in context, Israel was definitively told to kill boys of neighboring nations but to take virgins (read: girls) as wives for themselves when conquering nations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

LLJKSiLk posted:

Chief Justice Roy Moore has been tying himself in knots in interviews trying to say that he doesn't support the decision and it is unconstitutional while also clarifying that he isn't telling people what to do but in his opinion they shouldn't do anything but please don't marry the gays. He's doing his best to leave himself legally free and clear while still pushing for probate judges to take one for the team.

30+ Alabama counties are ignoring him, and 22 are acting confused and refusing to issue licenses.

Man is such a coward. Either believe your dumb poo poo and have the courage to act on it, or stop pretending like you believe it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Just in case anyone wants to make a bunch of money suing the state of Texas...

quote:

A North Texas county clerk said she has no intention of issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Hood County Clerk Katie Lang released a statement Tuesday saying that she agrees with Attorney General Ken Paxton's opinion on the Supreme Court's ruling.

"We find that although it fabricated a new constitutional right in 2015, the Supreme Court did not diminish, overrule, or call into question the First Amendment rights to free exercise of religion that formed the first freedom in the Bill of Rights in 1791. This newly invented federal constitutional right to same-sex marriage should peaceably coexist alongside longstanding constitutional and statutory rights, including the right to free exercise of religion and speech," she said.

Lang told the Texas Tribune that she was standing up for her religious liberty and that she believes "marriage is for one man and one woman because it did derive from the Bible."

She added that no same-sex couples in Hood County have tried to obtain a marriage license.

Paxton did issued a written opinion telling clerks with religious exemptions they don't have to issue the licenses. He also warned they could face fines or even lawsuits, but said he would have lawyers available at no-cost for those employees.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

jivjov posted:

The best response I could formulate that wasn't just laughing in his face was "mathematics is not an issue of civil rights. If your neighbor believes that 2+2=3, he's factually and demonstrably incorrect"

Call 'em out on the math. The demonstration part is where their analogy falls apart, because it's dependent on the person actually being able to explain why the basic math is solid, which they almost certainly cannot do. Proving that 1+1=2 is not trivial, and the proof won't be found in whatever grade school book the person in question thinks they're referencing.

Which is the reason for the immediate retreat to "my personal belief". They're borrowing legitimacy from something that is widely recognized to be true and can be well understood, but that they haven't bothered to actually learn. Without learning it, "2+2=4" can be replaced with "some random poo poo somebody found in a book".

So the response is that no, they don't get a free pass because they picked a book with some poo poo in it, you have to actually think about this stuff.

Also, consequences matter. Refusing to examine your personal belief that 1+1=2, when challenged, makes you someone uninterested in number theory. Refusing to examine a personal belief about others' interaction with society that involves real impact to their happiness and well being, when challenged, kinda starts to sound like bigotry!

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2015

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

quote:

Hood County Clerk Katie Lang
Evil alternate universe k.d. lang spotted.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Where the gently caress do people get off saying "marriage comes from the Bible" anyway? No it doesn't. Do they think that the ancient Sumerians and Chinese just went around hooking up or something? I mean, exclusively?

Oh that's right, these people aren't ready to admit that the world is old enough for the Sumerians and ancient Chinese to have existed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Where the gently caress do people get off saying "marriage comes from the Bible" anyway? No it doesn't. Do they think that the ancient Sumerians and Chinese just went around hooking up or something? I mean, exclusively?

Oh that's right, these people aren't ready to admit that the world is old enough for the Sumerians and ancient Chinese to have existed.

Hahaha that's actually a funny idea that it's not just dinosaurs but actual documented human civilisations that are in contradiction with young earth creationism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Three Olives posted:

Just in case anyone wants to make a bunch of money suing the state of Texas...

"marriage is for one man and one woman because it did derive from the Bible"

The concept of marriage is older and more widespread that that.

E: beaten.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SedanChair posted:

You don't even have to go that far back; the first missionaries showed up in Japan in 1549 and there are much older writings from there than that which go into explicit detail about courtship rituals and the like. gently caress's sake, Native Americans would be even more recent.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha that's actually a funny idea that it's not just dinosaurs but actual documented human civilisations that are in contradiction with young earth creationism.

http://www.theonion.com/article/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl-2879

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It was amazing seeing the difference between mine and my wife's facebook feeds. I grew up in northern Idaho which was fairly conservative but honestly decently socially liberal. Makes sense that northern Idaho/eastern Washington was a major epicenter for the libertarian/Tea Party movement. Meanwhile, my wife grew up in southern Alabama. Many of her old contacts and especially much of her family is incredibly conservative/religious.

Seeing all this helped nourish me. Reading it made me feel revitalized as if years were being added to my life.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol, John Roberts dissented you idiot

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

univbee posted:

You don't even have to go that far back; the first missionaries showed up in Japan in 1549 and there are much older writings from there than that which go into explicit detail about courtship rituals and the like. gently caress's sake, Native Americans would be even more recent.

Part of the reason why Japan and China didn't take to the missionaries like the Philippines and South America did. A bunch of priets/Jesuits show up and start with

"The world is only 4000 years old! God made it in 7 days and his son came to Earth to die for you (but on the other side of the world"

Asians: "Our history goes back much further then that, we even have records to prove it."

"loving illiterate inferior savages, you're all going to hell!"

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

God those people are drama queens.

I guess I should be grateful for my inability to believe, I can't imagine going through life as scared on a daily basis as these people seem to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda want to start the Filial Society for the Inhumation of Jesus Christ now.

Just to see how many people join it without realising what it means.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Pale Horse posted:

God those people are drama queens.

I guess I should be grateful for my inability to believe, I can't imagine going through life as scared on a daily basis as these people seem to be.

Yeah, it's loving crazy.

My wife used to be super religious just like them when she was younger too. When Katrina happened and her paster attributed it to divine vengeance for the gays and people in Louisiana living a life of sin, she stopped attending church regularly. What's worse is that her sister is married to a church man (he's only a music minister, but still). So basically my wife has to just remain fairly silent on a lot of these issues or else her family will basically disown her.

They were not pleased when she originally was dating me. To them I was a Satan-worshipping atheist that wanted to lead her astray. :getin:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I love this Louic CK bit on gay marriage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-JZSyhWSc (language)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, it's loving crazy.

My wife used to be super religious just like them when she was younger too. When Katrina happened and her paster attributed it to divine vengeance for the gays and people in Louisiana living a life of sin, she stopped attending church regularly. What's worse is that her sister is married to a church man (he's only a music minister, but still). So basically my wife has to just remain fairly silent on a lot of these issues or else her family will basically disown her.

They were not pleased when she originally was dating me. To them I was a Satan-worshipping atheist that wanted to lead her astray. :getin:

There's a time to keep family and there is a time to cut ties.

Its time for the latter.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

alnilam posted:

lol, John Roberts dissented you idiot

I really, really love that this keeps happening.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pentyne posted:

Part of the reason why Japan and China didn't take to the missionaries like the Philippines and South America did. A bunch of priets/Jesuits show up and start with

"The world is only 4000 years old! God made it in 7 days and his son came to Earth to die for you (but on the other side of the world"

yeah, every Jesuit I've ever met has brought up their belief in young earth creationism as the first topic of conversation :frog:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

John Roberts Uber-Liberal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

There's a time to keep family and there is a time to cut ties.

Its time for the latter.

Haha. Her family doesn't hate me. Her mom and dad actually like me a lot. Her sister and the sister's husband are very friendly/polite to me now and have never been confrontational with me. Though one of her Christmas presents from her sister was a book about reaffirming her faith (which my wife loving hated).

Anyway, apologies for the derail. I just wanted to share the views of bigots. :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Darko posted:

Don't forget that the Bible asupports marrying children too, since there is explicitly no age of consent given whatsoever,

yes, the bible is a sentient creature that has opinions, and if it does not explicitly rule something out, that means it's a-ok. this is what all jews and christians believe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nonsense posted:

John Roberts Uber-Liberal.
Would be less ridiculous if I didn't keep seeing stupid articles about Roberts 'moving to the left' or whatever

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Court Clerks across the South declare homosexuality "Haram," cite first amendment in application of "Sharia Law" regarding issuance of marriage licenses.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

The prevailing thought now should be that with gay marriage legal and acceptable in the United States, it should be easier to pass laws to protect LGBTs, right? Specifically in workplace discrimination, homelessness (not sure how you can make laws to support ending that), and bullying.

I know it was talked about that there's plenty of issues facing LGBTs outside of marriage and there was a thread about it, and I think it's time America begins talking about them in hopes that people don't resort to "jeeze, you got your gay marriages, why do you want more?" type situations.

The goodish news is that LGBT rights (or opposition to them, rather) is being framed as a religious freedom thing instead of "personal responsibility" so you still might be able to get those same allies that are iffy on religion to support rights bills.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Court Clerks across the South declare homosexuality "Haram," cite first amendment in application of "Sharia Law" regarding issuance of marriage licenses.

if the hobby lobby corporation can be a fundamentalist christian, clearly this county clerk's office can be the reincarnated ghost of strom thurmond!! freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, the bible is a sentient creature that has opinions, and if it does not explicitly rule something out, that means it's a-ok. this is what all jews and christians believe.

The law of Moses goes into great detail about what a woman does on her period, how much a man has to pay the father of a woman that he raped, what time you have to bring your sheep in, etc., but doesn't have an age of consent, or even any STANDARDS that apply to sex with teenagers or younger. There's no question that it's completely ambivalent on statutory issues.

• Locked thread