Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Casey Davis is an idiot too

Monday will be fantastic

:munch:

does this mean atheists can't get married?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

VitalSigns posted:

Sorry I have an older book here that says the first marriage was between a brother-sister pair of Egyptian gods so that's what marriage is: brothers and sisters loving. And it can never be changed.

But hey, good news for Josh Duggar.

Adam and Eve had the same parent. Also their kids.

Edit: Actually, I just realized that Eve came from Adam. She's either his twin or his progeny o_o

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

does this mean atheists can't get married?

Well, according to our 41st president atheists aren't even citizens, so yes. They can gently caress right off with their "marriage" and "rights".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People really have a hard time understanding the difference between civil/legal marriage and religious marriage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FlamingLiberal posted:

People really have a hard time understanding the difference between civil society and religion.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
For some people Marriage is the equivalent of building a pillow for with a "no gays allowed" sign posted outside. Now that SCOTUS has smashed the sign and fort, they're reeling and searching for new issues to build forts around.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FlamingLiberal posted:

People really have a hard time understanding the difference between civil/legal marriage and religious marriage.

I have a feeling that if 'civil unions' were actually put on equal terms to marriage, these fuckers would just find another reason to cry about that. Like so much they try to play this 'It's about marriage specifically!' game, but I'm gonna assume it's really just boo hoo I'm losing my punching bag/boo hoo gays are happy.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but marriage existed for thousands of years before Christianity, didn't it?

Like, polytheistic Romans had marriage. The Chinese had marriage. Literally every society prior to the rise and spread of monotheistic religion all had marriage.

Bible literalists are dumb as hell :/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

A large number of people think Gay marriage means that you can force a pastor to marry you and if he refuses you can sue him.

That's why there's a specific provision in the New York law prohibiting that.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Thump! posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but marriage existed for thousands of years before Christianity, didn't it?

Like, polytheistic Romans had marriage. The Chinese had marriage. Literally every society prior to the rise and spread of monotheistic religion all had marriage.

Duh, the world started with Adam and Eve around 4000 BC. Which was a total shock to the Sumerian civilization around then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

The Macaroni posted:

Duh, the world started with Adam and Eve around 4000 BC. Which was a total shock to the Sumerian civilization around then.

Also, a lot of people believe that everything that predates Christianity (save for the Jewish stuff) is literally Satanic, so it just doesn't count.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a lot of people out there, and hell even some on this forum, who don't know that religous institutions don't do anything to make you legally married. Some of them don't even know that getting married by someone who isn't a priest/rabbi/whatever is a thing that's possible.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is going to be an incredible next couple days

quote:

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis has refused to issue any marriage licenses, citing her Christian faith and constitutional right to religious freedom, since the landmark decision in June. On Thursday morning, a deputy clerk in her office refused to issue a marriage license to William Smith Jr. and James Yates. It was their third attempt to get a license. They said they will not give up. “They just don’t like gay people, they don’t want us to get married,” Yates said. “And they’d rather burn the earth and not let straight people in Rowan County get married either.” The action Thursday came just a day after a federal appeals court upheld a ruling ordering the clerk in rural Rowan County to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. U.S. District Judge David Bunning had already ordered Davis to issue marriage licenses two weeks ago. He later delayed that ruling until Aug. 31 or until the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling. The appeals court did so on Wednesday, denying Davis’ appeal. But a deputy clerk in Davis’ office told Smith and Yates on Thursday that the office believes Bunning’s delay remains in effect until Aug. 31. He refused to give his name or give them a license.

The AP notes that Davis hid in her office this morning and refused to meet reporters. The Liberty Counsel is expected to file her appeal to the US Supreme Court shortly. Last weekend several thousand Christians rallied in support of Davis at the Kentucky capitol building.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/kim-davis-kentucky-clerk-again-denies-license

So legally, what happens to her. Will she just be fired? Or could she be charged/sued?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 27, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
She can be sued personally. May or may not lose her job depending on how lovely that particular county is, but the most dangerous thing to her is being thrown in jail for contempt of court by directly disobeying the judge's order.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thump! posted:

Yeah but you're talking about people who think human race started 7,000 years ago from two fully-formed humans, and all other religions were made up after that by Satan.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but you're talking about people who think human race started 7,000 years ago from two fully-formed humans, and all other religions were made up after that by Satan.

Yeah, one of my English teachers in High School had a girl walk out of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar because it was lies, nothing came before Jesus, etc. Wish I had been in that same period to see it personally.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Nothing came before Jesus?"

The gently caress?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah, one of my English teachers in High School had a girl walk out of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar because it was lies, nothing came before Jesus, etc. Wish I had been in that same period to see it personally.

"I'm sorry my lord render unto who?"

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

The gently caress?

JESUS IS LORD.

Therefore Jesus is THE LORD.

"THEOLOGY IS BAD BECAUSE IT TEACHES YOU THAT THE BIBLE ISN'T TRUE." - The same loving people.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MariusLecter posted:

Reminds me of the guy who runs conservapedia claiming that humor didn't exist before Jesus.

Edit: http://www.conservapedia.com/Talk:Essay:Greatest_Mysteries_of_World_History#Humor

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thump! posted:

America is a Christian Nation!!1!

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

There are a lot of people out there, and hell even some on this forum, who don't know that religous institutions don't do anything to make you legally married. Some of them don't even know that getting married by someone who isn't a priest/rabbi/whatever is a thing that's possible.

Actually priests in most states do have the right to make people legally married, which is why the Universal Life Church exists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

point of return posted:

Actually priests in most states do have the right to make people legally married, which is why the Universal Life Church exists.

Nope. The priests, in most cases, are just applying for the marriage license and give it to you on your wedding day. They are acting in your stead.

Legally, in almost every state, you can just go apply for and receive a marriage license. That's it. You are married. ULC was started in response to pushes to make it ONLY possible to get married through priests, which was an attempted end run around gay marriage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

point of return posted:

No, the marriage license stuff is what lets you be legally married, they can't do anything without that.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

America is a Christian Nation!!1!

Only for a few more generations. Just under 25% of US adults don't identify with a religion. 35% of adults under 34 years old don't identify with a religion. Non-theists outnumber Catholics. Non-believers are the fastest growing group by a wide margin. Belief in Christianity is down 8% since 2007, non-Christian beliefs are up 1%, and unaffiliated is up almost 7%.

Between Christian and unaffiliated, people raised unaffiliated are second only to Jews in likeliness to remain in their "faith". "Religious nones" gain four members for everyone member lost to a religion, while all but one Christian denomination are losing members (and that one is at a 1.2:1 gain ratio). People are switching away from faith, and kids raised unfaithful stay unfaithful.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 27, 2015

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Only for a few more generations. Just under 25% of US adults don't identify with a religion. 35% of adults under 34 years old don't identify with a religion. Non-theists outnumber Catholics. Non-believers are the fastest growing group by a wide margin. Belief in Christianity is down 8% since 2007, non-Christian beliefs are up 1%, and unaffiliated is up almost 7%.

The United States has suffered 4 Great Awakenings, and there can certainly be another grassroots revival if the economy gets bad enough. It doesn't take very much - just look at Uganda.

Enlightenments are hard, revivals are easy and profitable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Do It Once Right posted:

The United States has suffered 4 Great Awakenings, and there can certainly be another grassroots revival if the economy gets bad enough. It doesn't take very much - just look at Uganda.

All the US has to do is be like Uganda.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Do It Once Right posted:

There's not going to be though, absent nuclear war.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

They understand it. It's just that his distinction is inconvenient so they're now pretending that the only marriages that actually count are the (right kind of) Christian ones. My favorite extension of this is the way some Christian news sites have started throwing sarcasm quotes around the word "marriage". It's just so pathetically petty. :3:

Also, calling it now. In five years Christian groups will buy into their own BS and extend this logic to all non-Christian people. Suddenly Hindus will not really be married anymore and by extension living in sin.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

readingatwork posted:

They understand it. It's just that his distinction is inconvenient so they're now pretending that the only marriages that actually count are the (right kind of) Christian ones. My favorite extension of this is the way some Christian news sites have started throwing sarcasm quotes around the word "marriage". It's just so pathetically petty. :3:

Also, calling it now. In five years Christian groups will buy into their own BS and extend this logic to all non-Christian people. Suddenly Hindus will not really be married anymore and by extension living in sin.

They're already living in sin by not being Christian.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is going to be an incredible next couple days

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/kim-davis-kentucky-clerk-again-denies-license

So legally, what happens to her. Will she just be fired? Or could she be charged/sued?

I see no reason not to remove her from the position and let people sue her bigoted rear end in to the ground. If she wants to be a martyr and likely try to beg for some sweet Bigot Bucks(tm) then her victims should at least get compensated for their suffering.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Is there any way that this DOESN'T end in her being removed from office via either her caving to the court order, or her being arrested for contempt of court? I can't see how the court would possibly let this stand.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

NecroBob posted:

Is there any way that this DOESN'T end in her being removed from office via either her caving to the court order, or her being arrested for contempt of court? I can't see how the court would possibly let this stand.

Not sure the chain of command, but I do know that the Ky governor made a statement when this all began the clerks needed to either do their jobs or lose their jobs. (Swear it is so weird moving from ga, where the governor was literally the platonic ideal of corruption, to Ky where the governor seems like a pretty decent dude.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ColdPie posted:

Between Christian and unaffiliated, people raised unaffiliated are second only to Jews in likeliness to remain in their "faith". "Religious nones" gain four members for everyone member lost to a religion, while all but one Christian denomination are losing members (and that one is at a 1.2:1 gain ratio). People are switching away from faith, and kids raised unfaithful stay unfaithful.

Repeat after me:

Christian!

Nation!

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

The gently caress?

you think that is bad? I had a coworker a few years ago that believed the earth was only 2,000 years old and everything that history claims happened before is a coordinated conspiracy by all the governments of the world.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I see no reason not to remove her from the position and let people sue her bigoted rear end in to the ground. If she wants to be a martyr and likely try to beg for some sweet Bigot Bucks(tm) then her victims should at least get compensated for their suffering.
Is it possible for a court to seize any fundraising money generated for her, because it would be profits from an illegal act? If we're going to have asset forfeiture, this is the kind of thing we should use it for.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
The problem is that these are generally in very red states. Can you imagine that any deep-red governor wants to have "fired a clerk for DEFENDING HER BELIEFS" in his opponent's arsenal?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TheBalor posted:

The problem is that these are generally in very red states. Can you imagine that any deep-red governor wants to have "fired a clerk for DEFENDING HER BELIEFS" in his opponent's arsenal?

She's an elected official and can't be fired anyways.

If she keeps refusing, she's looking at the inside of a jail cell, potentially until her term is up, as the judge can jail her until she agrees to follow the order. Wether she follows the order or not, she's also civilly liable as an individual for violating the petitioners civil rights. The state and the county are likely not liable I a civil action as all the executive officials have ordered her to follow the SCOTUS ruling, slang monetary judgement is going to be 100% on her.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, the marriage license stuff is what lets you be legally married, they can't do anything without that.

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. The priests, in most cases, are just applying for the marriage license and give it to you on your wedding day. They are acting in your stead.

Legally, in almost every state, you can just go apply for and receive a marriage license. That's it. You are married. ULC was started in response to pushes to make it ONLY possible to get married through priests, which was an attempted end run around gay marriage.

Both of these are basically wrong. In most states you need two things: the licence, and someone authorized to perform the ceremony. That doesn't have to be a priest, but generally it's a priest, or some state official or someone with a state licence (justice of the peace, etc). They cannot, on their own, without a licence, following the laws, etc marry you. But they are one of the relatively small group of people who can be one of the two necessary components for the state to recognize your marriage.

Also generally even if you use a priest you have to go apply for the licence yourself. You just then hand it over to the priest, who fills out his part after the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes that is correct. In my office as a clerk we both issue licenses and marry people. It's up to the couple to decide who they want to marry them, of course. We just provide that service.

• Locked thread