Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

NinjaPete posted:

Is there a site or something that compares/contrasts Christian right talking points and actual quotes from the bible? I am dealing with a guy and I just want to shut him down at this point.

I always thought this did a rather good job of summing it up. I kind of like how 'Republican Jesus' is also a white guy with seemingly blonde hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've got a question for the Americans or Brits in the audience. Up here in Canada, one of the biggest lobbying groups for gay and trans rights is one of our largest churches; the United Church of Canada. I feel their support has been a great boon for LBGT Canadians, often taking the wind out of the sails of much smaller and more bigoted churches who would claim it's against God's will. They've had a reputation for quite some time as a church that promotes volunteerism and helping the poor and disadvantaged, and showing compassion to all- gasp, almost Christ Like! But that's really neither here nor there. Here's my deal;

Are there any equivalent groups in America? So much of gay rights seems wrapped up in the discussion about what the bible has to say on it, and religious rights- what's to stop some particularly left leaning church from claiming they wish to marry same-sex couples (Like the United Church of Canada) and totally destroying the last argumentative bastion (RELIGIOUS RIGHTS!) that conservatives seem to have?

• Locked thread