Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Irishdrunk posted:

Crazy victor! Any reasons why the it got shot down? The huffpo piece makes it sound like repealing rights already given and the amendment for the non-binding referendum were the main causes. It is interesting when you read the comments by some opponents to SSM make resigned statements to it passing like Maryland Senate President Mike Miller's "I am probably on the wrong side of history opposing this". I'm used to most anti-SSM making comments more along the lines "I will fight this to the grave, and then my quiver full of children will carry on in my name!"

New Hampshire (and New England) Republicans are quite a bit different from ones in the rest of the country. I've always felt they're more ideologically driven than religiously so. So, they would see that taking away something they had already given was a terrible idea. As well, New Hampshire with it's libertarian streak is the perfect place for SSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If it went to public referendum in RI, I don't see how it wouldn't pass. The only thing holding up marriage here has been our idiot state legislature.

Coming from Massachusetts I honestly can't understand why RI hasn't enacted marriage equality yet. If New Hampshire and Maine can do it, which are much more rural and conservative, Rhode Island should be able to. What's holding up the legislature?

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

13 members of Congress (Warner [VA], Lautenberg [NJ], Menendez [NJ], Coons [Delaware], Warren [MA], Wasserman Schultz [FL], Kildee [Michigan], Moran [VA], Farr [CA], Himes [Conn.], DeGette [CO], Tsongas [MA], Keating [MA]) changed their Twitter avatars to the red equal sign supporting gay marriage. Pingree, Murphy, McGovern, Merkley, Chu, Schatz, EB Johnson, Leahy, Capps, Levin, Sinema, Miller, Pelosi, Rangel, Quigley, Sanders, Shaheen, Connolly, Higgins, and Lee also tweeted their support for marriage equality.

Reps Ed Markey and Stephen Lynch both running for Senator in Massachusetts both changed their Facebook profile pictures to that as well. None of the Republican candidates did, which isn't surprising.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

Crameltonian posted:

When I read that I instinctively rolled my eyes and thought 'well yeah, they *would* do that seeing as they've up for the nomination'. Then I stopped myself and realised that holy poo poo supporting gay marriage is now something that is expected of Democrats. It's amazing how rapid the progress on this has been.

Well Markey has always been a strong supporter he is one of the few Representatives who voted against DOMA in 1996. It is amazing progress in such a short period of time though.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

Illinois gets relegated to 17 because its Gov. is a cockteasing gently caress. :argh:

Well Hawaii is actually state 15 now, so Illinois will be 16. Illinois was 15 but they're taking too long.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

Haven't really seen much coverage but today is the ten year anniversary of Goodridge v. Department of Public Health which legalized same sex marriage here in Massachusetts. Ten years later and its amazing to see how much progress has been made across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

rkajdi posted:

My point was that every state gets sketchy when you get away form the urban areas and start dealing with "independent-minded" people. Blue states just have the population in urban areas to outvote those people and tell them to gently caress off.
That's really not true, I can use my home state of Massachusetts as an example. The rural areas in Western MA are deep blue but some of our mill cities, Lowell, Fall River, etc can end up swinging one way or another. Backing Scott Brown in one election then voting against him in another. These aren't small cities either, places like Lowell have a population of 100k people. It's a mistake to lump urban as automatically blue and rural as automatically red since that isn't always the case.

• Locked thread