Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not Marriage Equality per se, but I couldn't think of a better thread to bring this video up in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU.

"I figured a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn’t get it past the Congress. Build a great, big, large fence — 150 or 100 mile long — put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified ’til they can’t get out. … And you know what? In a few years, they’ll die out."

This follow-up from one church member is even more :psyduck: worthy:

Anderson Cooper 360 posted:

:spergin: Stacy, I know you're a defender of Pastor Worley, and I appreciate you coming on the program. Do you agree with his statements that he said on the pulpit, that gays and lesbians should be put in -- behind electrified fences until they die out?

:bahgawd: I believe that that was taken -- I mean, yes, he said that, but of course, he would never want that to be done. Of course, people are going to take it and make it their own way and make it into what they want to. But I agree with what the sermon was and what it was about.

:spergin: But you're saying he doesn't want it done, but he said he wanted it done on the -- he said it from the pulpit. How do you -- why do you interpret that's not what wants?

:bahgawd: As I say, OK, let me -- let me try to say it a different way. Maybe -- maybe that's what he felt like should be done. I mean, it could be said either way. OK, to make the short of it, yes I agree with him. If they can't get the message that that's wrong, then, you know, they can't reproduce, and eventually, they would die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/07/01/pride-covered-tragedy-wrapped-in-rainbows/

Dominic Verner posted:

Stepping out my front door, I almost ran into a man wearing a mini-skirt, bra, and heavy mascara. He was standing with his arm around a young woman posing for a smart-phone picture. At the click of the digital shutter, she turned and thanked the well-heeled man, saying, “You look beautiful!” With a smile, which I confess made me shudder, he responded, “Happy pride day, darling.”

I suppose I lack eyes to see. Under the layers of eye make-up, I saw only a poor man, rebelling against an unavoidable shame, enslaved by a particularly virulent strain of concupiscence. As speedo-clad men with Indian headdresses walked between corporate floats and smiling transvestites, I couldn’t help but be amazed at the miracle of propaganda that had turned such blatant displays of sexual perversion into something which could be called “beautiful.”

Was no one else seeing what I saw? Two NYPD officers stood sentinel along the Christopher Park stretch of the NYC Gay pride parade route. To the first, a tall black man wearing dark sunglasses, I asked if the guys at the NYPD supported “this cause”—as a man wearing fake plastic breasts over a black Goth jumpsuit walked by. He replied in the affirmative. I turned to his partner, a shorter white man who, looking a bit uncomfortable at the direction of my query, gave the noncommittal reply, “I have no opinion.”

Thanking the NYPD for their service, I turned around to find a Latino woman standing with her two teenage daughters. With hopeful naďveté, I asked if she too was in support of all this, gesturing to the parade route, which featured a shirtless Asian man prancing in leopard-skin tights. She nodded. “These poor men and women look unhappy to me,” I replied, ”enslaved to desires that promise a happiness that they can never achieve.” I told her I was Catholic, and I knew that God created men and women for perfect happiness, that we all suffer desires that would make us slaves of the devil, and that I don’t take pride in this tragedy. She said that she too was Catholic.

Despairing of finding anyone else who saw tragedy in this “beautiful” display of pride, I changed my line of questioning. “Why do you support gay marriage?” I asked a young woman, standing with her arm around her partner. “I should have the same rights as my brother and sister,” she said. “What is marriage?” I asked a volunteer for Lambda Legal. “Marriage is a civil right that gives legal benefits to couples who wish to spend their lives together.” On the parade route, a presumably straight couple with a baby carrier walked by with a sign reading “38 States to Go!”

Having prayed a Rosary on the sideline as dancing Diet Coke, TD Bank, and Delta Airlines employees floated by, I said a few St. Michael prayers for good measure and returned to my church. I don’t know what it will take to turn the tide of the “civil rights movement of our generation,” but if we are to shed the dunce-cap of the hostes humani generis, reveal the love that inspires our resistance, and reclaim the moral high-ground, then we must expose the personal tragedies that are wrapped in rainbows. A man wearing a mini-skirt, bra, and mascara does not look beautiful. He looks like a man crying for help.

Oh hey the author actually gives a citation for the claim that these ickypoor gays are all just secretly unhappy, wonder what that says...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/higher-risk-of-mental-health-problems-for-homosexuals/

PsychCentral.com posted:

There are a number of reasons why gay people may be more likely to report psychological difficulties, which include difficulties growing up in a world orientated to heterosexual norms and values and the negative influence of social stigma against homosexuality.

:fuckoff:

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!

Majorian posted:

Far from being insensitive, what you just described here showed boatloads more sensitivity than what that idiot on First Things wrote. For someone who talks a lot about what would make LGBT people "truly happy," he clearly has no interest in finding out what would actually make them happy.

One of the most rage-inducing parts of that article is that the guy keeps suggesting that he tried so hard to understand the people in the parade but was just overwhelmed by the hidden suffering he saw--when really it's obvious that he's totally incapable of seeing the world in anything other than Homophobe-O-Vision.

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!
Surely this article deserves some prize for hypocrisy: Media Matters wrote an article about a conservative anti-LGBT site=literally the Spanish Inquisition.

:ironicat: First Things is largely staffed by conservative Catholics who fetishize medieval Christendom :ironicat:

• Locked thread