Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And unless the GOP can solve its Latino problem Texas will probably be a blue state at the Federal level relatively soon.

The GOP as a party tends to be pretty shortsighted, and conservatives in general are, well, conservative and resistant to change. Even on a state level it's going to be pretty hard for the party to adapt to changing demographics until the writing is on the wall and the left-moderates are running things in Austin for the first time since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In Minnesota we're working on getting a couple more GOP legislators on board so that we can give the Dems a fig leaf of bipartisanship to work with. The dems here are afraid of seeming radical after they've just re-won the legislature, they want to seem reasonable and moderate. They won't introduce gay marriage by themselves, but if they have some cover they can pass it and the governor will sign it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Minnesota lawmakers to present a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in the state tomorrow morning.

MPR News

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

seal it with a kiss posted:

Minnesota news: 9 of 17 reps on the House Civil Law Committee confirmed they will be voting to send the bill to the house floor. 4 out of 8 so far on the Senate side, a 5th senator "supports same-sex marriage but is uncomfortable moving so quickly to legalize it. The bill's sponsor, Sen. Scott Dibble, said he was confident of winning over Goodwin."

MPR News: Same-sex marriage has votes to clear Minn. House panel

Dibble's my Senator, and he is extremely cool and committed to bringing a marriage bill through the legislature. Governor Dayton will sign it, but he's all tied up trying to change the tax code and get a tax hike on rich people so he's no help at all right now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sweeney Tom posted:

Minnesota Senate Judiciary Committee advanced the marriage equality bill, 5-3. It now proceeds to the Senate floor.

Not without taking time to let local boobs have their say.

Local boob has his say

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mo_Steel posted:

So the argument against gay marriage is that gay couples that get married will have gay sex and spread AIDS and then society will be sicker as a whole? :psyduck: Ignoring the biological specifics because holy gently caress would that be a long derail, does he not understand that people who aren't married have sex too or does he just not care and is grasping for any excuse?

It's that old "I think it's sinful so it must also be unhealthy" bullshit thinking that people fall into.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amused to Death posted:

Soon as in this week or soon as in we should check the news later tonight?

The House will have the bill out of committee later tonight, but the legislature and the governor have signaled that they're not going to take up a gay marriage bill until they hammer out tax and budgeting bills first. Look for a vote on gay marriage towards the summer.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Hopefully the floor vote isn't delayed too long because I think a successful vote in Minnesota should make things easier in Rhode Island and Delaware.
Or the veto override in New Jersey if you're super optimistic.

e: MN bill passes House committee 10-7 :toot:

I'm pretty sure it will pass this summer unless too many rural district dems chicken out. Right now the strategy is to try and pull in a suburban Republican or two so that we can give the bill a whiff of bipartisanship.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

katium posted:

Technically Arizona was the first to reject a marriage amendment ballot measure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Proposition_107_%282006%29

They passed one 2 years later, but this one only banned marriage and technically allows for civil unions, similar to Colorado's amendment.

Not that Minnesota isn't awesome for rejecting the 2012 amendment, as well as the other things you mentioned. :unsmith:

To be fair, the amendment opposition campaign was crazy-organized, well-funded, and had their game down to a science. Out in the 'burbs, my dad got a call from a woman who was the same age he was, same professional background, and ex-military to ask him to vote against the marriage amendment (which he did :)). The post-mortem was that they managed to pull in huge numbers of volunteers from the families of gays and lesbians both in the Twin Cities and outstate who put a lot of time and effort into working the phone banks and pinning down votes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Francis' view is basically 'respect the gays as people but blah blah blah traditional marriage sanctity' which, for a leader of the Catholic church, is a step up. We're a good few popes away from reaching one who's down with gays.

A dozen at least. And only if they're dragged kicking and screaming by declining numbers of followers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Ugh. His son came out two years ago.

It'd be nice if he thought of the millions of people his votes effected whenever he cast them. Anyway, Ohio now has 2 senators who support gay marriage in a state with a constitutional amendment banning it.

I'll take a belated change of heart on gay marriage any day. More and more big-time Republicans coming out in support means that the tide is really shifting in the proper direction.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NinjaPete posted:

Jay is my Representative. I think his situation is that he personal believes in marriage equality, but he is very aware a significant part of his constituency does not. He is a very good guy and pretty competent but he's had the job less than a year and he doesn't want to abandon everyone back home.

I should write to him, are there any good resources people can use for writing letters to legislators about this?

Call his office and write an email every day for the next couple days. If you have friends or family who live in the district and are willing to do the same, have them call and write as well. Communicating with state legislators is really helpful and can have an impact on the way that they vote.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DangerKat posted:

It's still an incredible turnabout from the Minnesota Legislature. They did a lot of downplaying on any potential same-sex marriage bill during the early months of this session.

The turnaround became possible after the last election when we threw the Teabaggers out on their rear end. The attempt to write a gay marriage ban into the state constitution and to pass a discriminatory Voter ID bill during a presidential election year proved to be a massive strategic mistake that led to tremendous voter turnout by young and minority voters. It also helped that the MN GOP went totally batshit insane the election before and put a bunch of crazed Ron Paul acolytes in charge of the party organization. They're starting to unfuck themselves now, but until they get back to the centrist, moderate party that they were up until ~2004, their domination of the state house is over.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Seriously, they way overreached. The massive D turnout let them control the governor's seat and both houses for the first time since 1990. The magnitude of the swing took some time to sink in, and the realization that Republicans hosed themselves along with the insane organization shown by Minnesotan's United for All Families and other groups like it made this possible. They have been putting constituents in front of representatives three times a week for the past 5 months, in addition to holding rallies at the state capitol.

MN United for All Families really ran a tight campaign to get us to this point. Last year my dad told me about getting a call from an MN United caller who was his same age, background, and also ex-Army and an MBA who wanted to tell him why he should vote against the gay marriage amendment. How the hell do you find a 65 year old vet with a MBA and convince him to give up his Saturday afternoon to call another 65-year old vet with an MBA and ask him to vote a certain way? Microtargeting is cool and scary as gently caress.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Delaware Senate is getting hilarious.
The guy who just mentioned marriage has existed since "from the beginning of time, or 5000 years" is now talking about The Queen James Bible.

e: And he just pivoted to the Founding Fathers, who would never ever support an edited version of the Bible to remove stuff you disagreed with.

Is he drunk?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Assuming that the MN House can pass their bill on Thursday, the earliest that the State Senate could take it up is Saturday. I hope they call the vote on Saturday instead of Monday, because not only would it be two in one week, but I'd get to see that sour bastard Warren Limmer dragged in on his weekend to watch gay marriage pass into law in Minnesota.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a lot of friends in California. I want Minnesota to pass legislation this week so I can spend a leisurely Sunday rubbing it in.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A semantic change to the bill in the MN House to help put the fears of overly-sensitive religious legislators to bed:

quote:

Minn. same-sex marriage advocates embrace 'civil' marriage change

Gay and lesbian advocates are embracing a last-minute change to a same-sex marriage proposal that would add the word “civil” in front of marriage in state law.

The move is designed to clarify that the proposal will only change the legal definition marriage, not encroach of religious freedom for those who are opposed. The change is also designed to persuade a few Republicans to support same-sex marriage in Legislature and give the proposal a stronger bipartisan coalition.

Freshman Republican Rep, David FitzSimmons, R – Albertville, has offered the change. FitzSimmons could not be reached for comment. It is not clear whether the change will prompt him to vote for the measure.

“Minnesotans United supports this amendment, and we will encourage the members of the Minnesota House of Representatives to support it as well,” said Richard Carlbom, campaign manager for Minnesotans United, the lead group pushing for same-sex marriage. “Representative FitzSimmons’ amendment affirms the fact that Minnesotans want same-sex couples to have the freedom to marry in our state while also ensuring that clergy members and religious institutions are free to practice their beliefs free from government intrusion.”

Looks like a couple of Republicans see the writing on the wall and have decided to place themselves on the right side of history.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sweeney Tom posted:

Good news from my state! A new poll shows marriage equality support up in PA [54-41 (up two points from last month)], and support for an amendment to legalize it in the state is up 11% over last year. A lawmaker reintroduced a bill yesterday that would amend our Constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman, but it's failing immediately: last session the bill had 40 supporters; this time it only has 27. And this is the first time the bill was introduced with 0 Democrat supporters. And this all comes off the LGBT non-discrimination bills I posted about yesterday that has 100 PA lawmakers' support (coming from Repubs AND Dems).

Perhaps PA isn't as awful as you thought. :unsmith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NinjaPete posted:

Well I have be trying to get people to call their reps here in MN. I called McNamar and talked to him for a bit, he's a former teacher and I am a current one so we bonded over that. He didn't tip his hand, but he did say "my decision will reflect who I am" So..good?

Anyone know when debate will start and how I can listen to it?

The debate starts at noon today. The Minneapolis Star Tribune will have a livestream here.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Crowd Gathers in Advance of [MN] House vote on Same-Sex Marriage

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Large crowds are expected at the state Capitol Thursday as the Minnesota House prepares to vote on a bill to legalize same-sex marriage.

Supporters attended a vigil Wednesday evening at Christ Lutheran Church near the Capitol near the Capitol.

John Stumme and his husband, Kyle Hanson, attended the prayer vigil with their two children. The men were married in California four years ago.

Stumme said if the bill passes, they will apply for a Minnesota marriage license.

"Kyle and I love each other deeply and we want to be married," Stumme said "And we want our children to know that their parents' relationship is no different than any other relationship in the eyes of the state."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
And we're off. Most observers expect about 8 hours or so of debate, so the final vote probably won't be in until 8-9pm CST. Wish us luck.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Persell was one of the votes to watch going into today. His "Yes" vote makes things easier, and may be a bellweather for rural democrats and suburban republicans.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
LOL "Metro focused". 90% of the state's population lives here and we pay for basically everything in outstate so...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Joe Radinovich is voting yes. That's not a surprise, but he's really putting his political future on the line so it's a brave thing to do.

Edit: More than 60% of his constituents voted to ban gay marriage last election and he has a republican trying to recall him, so this is probably the only really significant vote that he'll get to make. Good on him.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheLoser posted:

There will be consequences. Can't you tell from the tone of my voice? :geno:

You can't redefine marriage in Minnesota! You Will Regret This!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

Just got back from lunch and errands (and shoppin' for my mom's mother's day gift :3:). Have they largely been sadsacks like this schmuck?

Nope. Mostly pro-legalization. No republicans have crossed the aisle yet though. Kinda hoping that the vote is straight party-line, just to reenforce the shittiness of the GOP in the future.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^^:argh:

quiggy posted:

I don't know much about MN politics. If the vote is completely party-line, will gay marriage be legalized?

Yes. The dems control the House and the Senate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Loving Life Partner posted:

Man, this guy is getting really verklempt :unsmith:

I'll cop to a bit of that myself. Really proud of my state today. :unsmith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Double post because Minority Leader Kurt Daudt is up, this is a signal that debate is wrapping up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some of my best friends are gay, take a shot

Holy poo poo, he actually went there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not nearly enough crazy people in this debate.

MN is a devoutly low-drama state when it comes to politics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Is there good noise or bad noise from the outside leaking in?

Good noise. The people I know who made it down say that they outnumber the bad guys by a comfortable margin.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Clark will finish it off as the main sponsor, then a vote I'd reckon.

Clark is up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

So how did the estimate on floor debate miss by ~4 hours?

Low-drama state. We reward succinctness and punish egotistical grandstanding.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Some GOP crossed the aisle, it wasn't even close. MN will be the 12th state to legalize gay marriage by the middle of next week.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Axetrain posted:

Looking forward to conservative tears.

To the FReep thread!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

They had 75 votes so they picked up at least 2 or 3 more.

FitzSimmons, Loon, and Garofalo. FitzSimmons was considered a probable "Yes" after the cosmetic change to "Civil Marriage" was made yesterday.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The hall outside after the vote was announced:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amoxicilina posted:

Not to nitpick, but only 60% of the population lives in the cities, certainly not 90%.

With that said, I can say it truly is a great day to be a proud minnesotan. And to think we could've hosed it up with a constitutional ban last election. What's not to love about this state?

Sorry, counted Duluth and St.Cloud in that.

• Locked thread