Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't see a specific thread about Obama endorsing gay marriage, so I thought I'd just poke my head in here and mention that, while I know it's as much about politics and the election as anything else, I was extremely glad to see Obama mention that it was in fact partly due to his Christianity that he supports gay marriage. The most immediate descriptor of my religion from non-christians is (according to at least one poll) "anti-gay," - something which I think is a travesty and a hideous departure from Christ's teachings. I would be quite happy to see those of us who aren't assholes get half the PR the Anti-gay, overly political groups do.

And so I'm not completely derailing the current discussion: I really don't see the long term benefit to 'queer liberationists.' That sort of sepratist behavior seems like it would just be drawing more lines in the sand and fueling the Us vs Them scenarios that are so conducive to bigotry - from BOTH sides of the fence. I support gay marriage 100 percent, but I worry that because so much of my church as stood against it that the pendelum could eventually just swing back the other direction when I'd rather it just meet in the middle.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not Marriage Equality per se, but I couldn't think of a better thread to bring this video up in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU.

"I figured a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn’t get it past the Congress. Build a great, big, large fence — 150 or 100 mile long — put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified ’til they can’t get out. … And you know what? In a few years, they’ll die out."

:psyduck: :godwin: :catdrugs:

On behalf of my fellow, non-murderously insane and non-bigoted Christians: I am so loving sorry. :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And, according to him: since gay people don't reproduce, it's solve the homosexual problem, finally.

Just as Christ would have wanted. Right? :shepicide:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Christian right is at best only passingly familiar with what Christ actually wanted, nor much of what he commanded his followers to do. Why, it's almost as if they take from the corpus of Christian thought and scripture only those parts that fit their preexisting wants and desires, to verify their piety and justify their hate and greed!

Again: The rest of us are so, so goddamn sorry. :negative:

Sometimes I really feel like American Christianity stapling itself into the GOP might be the worst thing that's ever happened to either side.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 24, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, I live in Texas so I'm getting an earful of the governor and attorney general ranting that "Marriage is still one man and one woman" and so forth and ordering courts not to issue marriage licenses, and while it doesn't seem like they have any legal ground to stand on and at least some urban courthouses seem content to tell them to suck it, I can't help but be a little concerned. What might they try to prevent LGBT folk in Texas from being married and does any of it have any ground to stand on?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

All they can really do is order the local governments to not put out marriage licenses but all of the big cities are saying gently caress that and doing it anyway.

And they wouldn't have any legal ground to stand on if they tried to actually enforce these orders and forcibly stop the locals from giving out licenses?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hasters posted:

No, and if the clerks refuse then in theory the local Federal Judge could order a Marshall to go with the couple to execute the order.

Well, that makes me feel better. Thanks, and congrats to all the LGBT folk living in this big gay state/country. :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rasczak posted:

So as of 3 PM today, the eight largest cities in Texas are all issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples:

- Houston
- San Antonio
- Dallas
- Austin
- Fort Worth
- El Paso
- Arlington (they're in Tarrant County along with FW)
- Corpus Christi

Suck on that, Abbott and Paxton. :clint:

Only he's the mayor instead of the president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Where does Texas drag up these retards from, anyway? I've met quite a few Texans, and all but one or two have been friendly people without racist, homophobic, or otherwise hateful opinions. Yet the government seems infested with the sort of people who'd be greatly improved by a swift and fatal beating. What the hell is going on down there? Do the mental defectives just never leave the country, while the decent people get sent abroad on a goodwill mission or something?

I would guess that most of the people you've met have been from the larger urban centers like DFW or Austin or Houston, which skew more liberal than not, and not from the rest of the state, which....doesn't.

• Locked thread