Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BattleMaster posted:

As an LGBT person, I think that removing the legal ability to join two couples from religious figures would be a fine compromise. That way, people can have their preferred religious ceremony, or not, but at the end of the day they'll have to go to City Hall to file for the legal rights.

To add more to the discussion, this is about controlling what is seen as "normal". After reading Navigating Interracial Borders, a book about interracial relationships and how society views them, the author shows that Americans use marriage as a method to constitute what is normal. Its the reason why interracial marriages are frowned upon in the United States and why many religious conservatives are fighting so hard to keep gays from getting the right to marry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cicero posted:

Well, used to be frowned upon, anyway.

11 percent is a pretty small minority: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2012/0216/Interracial-marriage-rate-doubles-in-30-years-how-US-attitudes-have-changed

But this is precisely what the book is about. People will say one thing, especially in public for polls, but when it came to putting it into practice, they were much more likely to disapprove. Interracial marriage was always A-Ok with people until they found out it was their daughter that was going to marry a black guy or vice versa. Although I don't know how similar the statistics are for LBGT stuff.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 2, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It there is one thing that I hope for at least with Obama's announcement is that he will convince more African Americans as their de facto leader that gay marriage is not something to be frowned upon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm sorry, but that is almost painfully naive.

Bigots have no problem making little bigots in their image.

Just type "human being" or the homophobic keyword of your choice into Facebook's search by everyone and see how the next generation is perfectly fine with hating gay people.

I think gay marriage is one of those things that is getting better with time. However, issues of race and most likely other LBGT issues are probably still in the shitter in terms of the newer generations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

evilweasel posted:

This is an article I thought was perticularly interesting: http://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/our_real_first_gay_president/singleton/

Essentially, the article is attacking the notion that things always get better, using James Buchanan (who apparently was gay!) as an example - things can, and did, get worse for gay people in our history.

Yeah, he is fighting against a Whig interpretation of history (The notion that we always move forward as time goes on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hopefully we can put that stereotype to rest now: http://colorlines.com/archives/2012...28ColorLines%29

quote:

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll found 53 percent of U.S. voters believe gay marriage should be legal, a record shift in public opinion from just six years ago when support was at 36 percent. The poll also found people of color are more likely to support gay marriage than whites with black support at record high.

While it was a relatively small sample, the data was still statistically significant. Still, I am happy with the result

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

euphronius posted:

I posted a pdf of her duties and she actually does a lot.

Yeah a bad county clerk can really mess things up. One big duty ours has is running elections and that can be a clusterfuck if they aren't prepared.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah that Rosa Parks had it easy quote doesn't make her sympathetic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

remember 2 or so years ago when Cheerios put out an ad featuring an interracial family and there was a shitstorm about that?
that's a shame. Maybe the backlash that's still probably going to happen will convince Tide to make a statement, though.

The cheerios one was the one I remember, and I remember General Mills response was basically "go gently caress yourselves" to all the racists.

• Locked thread