Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ballz posted:

Good to know. But seriously, there hasn't been anyone anti-gay marriage posting in this thread, so it's a little strange of you to ask those questions of us.

Give him a break, he's obviously just drunk as gently caress and all on board the Gay Marriage Train. Better than a dude that turns into a homophobe when I drinks, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

staticman posted:

gently caress the religious right. gently caress them so loving much (from Pam's House Blend & Right Wing Watch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS669AzO8bw

Yet if gays could get married, there'd be more marriages and they could foster/adopt children and provide a loving, caring environment! I wonder if these people ever have an AHA! moment where they realise how loving stupid they are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's especially surprising and encouraging because Latin America is thought of as strongly Catholic, so if they can make it happen, every country will eventually have a chance. Mind you, apart from the actual RCC hierarchy itself, I've never really known most Catholics, even in Catholic-majority countries, to be particularly stringent about following the rules, especially as they regard sexy-time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Isn't it the growing Protestant population in south America and Africa that's the real anti-gay force?

Probably. Mind you, I think it's important to differentiate between Evangelical Protestantism and mainline Protestant denominations (who've been largely accepting of gay marriage, at least in North America and some parts of Europe). I think the biggest difference is that people, particularly in Latin America, can be born into Catholicism and maintain the cultural trappings thereof without believing everything the Church says, but converts/born-agains (in any religion) are more likely to be more hardline about things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Never really heard a US conservative bash Netherlands (possibly cause it's white people), just that it's the place backpacking college kids dream of going to.

I definitely do not understand this. It's a cool city, and you can smoke weed there legally, but it's pretty hideously expensive, even in comparison to other major European cities (some of which even have legal prostitution, if that's your bag).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I just popped over to the Path of Exile game official forum (game is New Zealand developed) and someone already wrote a congrats post. Immediately followed by some dude's giant ronpaul.txt about how "hurf durf government shouldn't be doing licenses at all so this is bad!"

Disclaimer: I used to actually think that too.... when I was 16

The sort of person with that opinion isn't wrong so much as painfully naive. Yes, I think it would be better, in an ideal world, to completely separate the religious notion of "marriage," and the benefits that one receives from a partnership/union recognized by the government; however, I do recognize, as I think everyone should, that there's no stuffing that genie back in the bottle. We can't undo centuries of common law and societal perception of what a marriage is versus what a civil union is, therefore we are obliged to offer equality to everyone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

The fact is that "marriage" is an inherently civil thing, and religion had to fight to get control over it in history, which it has rightfully lost again.

I do agree with that. At the same time, we can't ignore the more recent historical context either, which is that the institution of marriage was managed in large part by the church. Thus, we're left with a bizarre intertwining of civil and religious meaning that can't be easily separated. The right answer is that the state should maintain the institution of marriage, called marriage, and offer it equally to everyone. Religious authorities should be free to do whatever hateful poo poo they feel like, including not marrying homosexuals or interracial couples, since the important consequences of marriage derive from the legal recognition thereof by the state. I should be allowed to start my own religion, and to have a "marriage" between by TV and my fridge if I so choose, but in the end it'll just be a farcical ceremony that no one, least of all the law, gives a flying gently caress about.

In its most basic form, marriage is simply a contract, and thus it should be administered by the state and offered equally to everyone, just as every other legal contract is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Where does Texas drag up these retards from, anyway? I've met quite a few Texans, and all but one or two have been friendly people without racist, homophobic, or otherwise hateful opinions. Yet the government seems infested with the sort of people who'd be greatly improved by a swift and fatal beating. What the hell is going on down there? Do the mental defectives just never leave the country, while the decent people get sent abroad on a goodwill mission or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I would guess that most of the people you've met have been from the larger urban centers like DFW or Austin or Houston, which skew more liberal than not, and not from the rest of the state, which....doesn't.

Yeah, but most of them have been involved with the oil industry which tends to give a "backwards rear end in a top hat +5" modifier so I figured it'd even out.

The most racist person from Texas I know is actually a black guy from Houston. He's from Trinidad originally, and holds a very low opinion of African-Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Texas has the added fun dynamic of about 44% of the population being utterly bugnuts crazy and thinking the U.S. Military is about to invade and take their :siren: freedoms :siren:

I ran into one of those folks, but he was an atheist and didn't give the slightest gently caress about gay people.

Also, it turned out, he did time in jail for statutory rape and he was both a pathological liar and a kleptomaniac, but I'm not sure that's relevant.

• Locked thread