Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tensokuu posted:

What do you guys think is the best power supply on Amazon for a Pi 3? I'm considering grabbing one of these just to learn how to program and maybe turn it into a RetroPie machine so I can play some classic games while lounging around the couch.

The Canakit supply is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tensokuu posted:

What do you guys think is the best power supply on Amazon for a Pi 3? I'm considering grabbing one of these just to learn how to program and maybe turn it into a RetroPie machine so I can play some classic games while lounging around the couch.

I use the AmazonBasics 2.1 Amp USB charger and a micro USB cable I had lying around for if I'm just using the Pi and a USB KB/M and USB WiFi adapter. The extra power helps avoid the rainbow icon/brownouts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tensokuu posted:

I have two of these 4 port, 8A monsters for $16 shipped. One lives in my entry way hall to charge my bicycle lights, the other lives in my night stand and keeps my various cell phones, e-readers and tablets charged. Very happy. They come in black and white.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OT74FIS/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Man, that seems way too small and too cheap to be so powerful. Ever put that thing to it's limits?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I charge my two bike lights plus phone on it for about an hour every day, that's what about 5-6 amps? Power adapters aren't expensive. I've had one now for a year, the other is only two months old but both work great, no complaints, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it. I've used it to power a couple of raspberry pi's and servos before without issue.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

Man, that seems way too small and too cheap to be so powerful. Ever put that thing to it's limits?

I have a similar one from a different brand and it works fine with my 2 and 3 and occasionally other random boards connected. Maybe if you had 4 Pis running benchmarks it would crap out but under normal circumstances I haven't had any issues. If nothing else it keeps the cords to a minimum.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Pilsner posted:

What's the point of this when a Steam Link box is $50? Not being sarcastic. I'm also a bit confused about the mixup of Nvidia Shield and the Steam Link in the article?

I have a Pi, but it's dedicated as a Kodi media center. I read it's not normal to use a Pi for more than one primary application?

I also use my Pi2 as a Kodi box, attached to my large TV. I have a separate MicroSD card sat underneath the Pi2. This separate MicroSD has the moonlight setup on it. If I fancy playing a game I just power down Kodi and swap cards. One device: two uses, with little effort.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well I got the Raspi3 serial working finally, christ.

This post really helped: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/45570/how-do-i-make-serial-work-on-the-raspberry-pi3

Basically you use /dev/serial0 now and you set enable_uart=1 but don't have to edit any of the other bullshit except the raspi-config to turn serial console off. 99% of the answers for this problem online right now are still referring to older methods which do not work on a current raspi3 + updated Raspian, hence the painful process I experienced this week.

I also messed with the Beaglebone Black I ordered. The "connect via USB" system they use is awful and the drivers simply don't work on OSX and are flakey on Windows. I didn't manage to get network/internet to it in any other way than ethernet after many hours and it has stupid issues with stubby wifi dongles where you have to disable the (annoying micro)hdmi to stop wifi interference.. The flashing process is also a bit of a ballache to be honest. I'm not a fan of it so far but I'll revisit it for another project at a later date.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welcome to the wonderful world of board computers. The pi owns because while its at least as lovely as everything else, and least someone has usually figured a workaround.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Getting some things to work on newer Raspbian versions can be really tough when the goal you are trying to achieve is well documented in older versions, but has changed and is poorly documented in newer releases.

I spent a lot of time banging my head against the wall trying to get serial over BT working on a Raspberry Pi 2 running jessie. All of the tutorials were written for wheezy, and the solutions were no longer valid in jessie.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Not a Raspi but this thing looks interesting and costs $9 for the main unit (expansions and docks are quite a bit more). It's the $9 pricepoint that's pretty awesome along with being pretty small https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux/description

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

tuna posted:

Not a Raspi but this thing looks interesting and costs $9 for the main unit (expansions and docks are quite a bit more). It's the $9 pricepoint that's pretty awesome along with being pretty small https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux/description

How am I supposed to play my pirated animes without HDMI? Absolute garbage.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ItBurns posted:

How am I supposed to play my pirated animes without HDMI? Absolute garbage.

Mplayer caca mode 4lyfe :shittypop:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I ordered an Orange Pi One as I'm looking for something small and cheap with GPIO I can set up in an area where there is a small but real risk it might get destroyed. Man, about 12 eurobucks and faster than the Pi 2. Absolutely crazy. I know the official support is poo poo but as soon as I can get some flavor of Linux running on it to the console, I'm golden. It even has hardware accelerated encryption in the SoC which last time I checked is about to be supported. Wonder how fast that is. What a time we live in.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've just bought a Raspberry Pi and have been trying to set it up as a VPN so I can use it while I travel. I've tried 3 different tutorials https://nxfifteen.me.uk/2015/02/07/raspberry-powered-openvpn-server/ and https://sys.jonaharagon.com being two of them (I can't remember the 3rd) but I keep hitting the same error.

I think I've followed each step properly, but when I get the keys created, download the ovpn file and import it into Open VPN Connect on my Android, it imports and then gets stuck at waiting for server.

I've tried forwarding the port to a computer running Wireshark and the router is definitely forwarding the port to it properly as Wireshark shows lots of OpenVPN packets coming in. I guess that means there is an issue either with...

1) The Pi not accepting the packets properly,
2) The Pi not responding to the packets properly
3) The router not outputting the packets properly
4) ???

It's my first time with a Raspberry Pi and using *nix so any advice would be great.

edit : I found https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183818 and have the same issue that for some reason
systemctl start openvpn@server.service

needs to be run manually.

When I run that manually, it connects, and then it sends next to 0 data. Maybe a single page loads up and then nothing else.

Leading to 2 questions.
1) How do I make it so openvpn starts automatically
2) What's causing the data blockage? It's not a complete failure and sometimes loads a page but very rarely. OpenVPN Connect says it's been connected for the last 3 minutes and transferred about 100KB.

edit2 : Error message when I try to check status of openvpn is...

oot@raspberrypi:/home/pi# systemctl status openvpn@server.service -l
openvpn@server.service - OpenVPN connection to server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openvpn@.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2016-07-26 00:00:11 BST; 54s ago
Process: 456 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon ovpn-%i --status /run/openvpn/%i.status 10 --cd /etc/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/%i.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 26 00:00:11 raspberrypi systemd[1]: openvpn@server.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jul 26 00:00:11 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVPN connection to server.
Jul 26 00:00:11 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit openvpn@server.service entered failed state.

edit 3 I fixed the 2nd thing, for some reason iptables weren't sticking so I installed iptables-persistent and now that's good. I still can't work out how to get the openvpn status to start automatically.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 26, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Where are you pop planning on traveling? I was planning to do the same when I was over in China, but was told that some places that crack down on VPN traffic would catch the sort of connection s that would involve a pi at your residence.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Warbird posted:

Where are you pop planning on traveling? I was planning to do the same when I was over in China, but was told that some places that crack down on VPN traffic would catch the sort of connection s that would involve a pi at your residence.

Well mine is primarily because I do online betting, and that wants me to be in the UK. The hope is this works for that.... if I can ever work out how to get OpenVPN to start automatically.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
In places where such restrictions exist, try moving the VPN port to port 443 and set it to TCP, this is not ideal but makes it harder for them to detect exactly what kind of traffic it is. (port 443 is also used for HTTPS) If the analytical methods are sophisticated enough, this can be detected though. Some providers also offer tunneling of VPN through SSL/SSH, this can also be used to hide VPN traffic but not many VPN providers support it. Both make general transmission more inefficient and cause more overhead so only do if really necessary.

Are you using dhcpcd or systemd.networkd for managing your network connection? You can only use one. Make sure openvpn starts after the network is up, openvpn really likes to puke all over itself if there's any problem with the connection.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So last year I set up my Pi 2 with the then-current version of Retropie and, after a lot of fuddling around over a long weekend, finally got it sorted out and configured for all of the games I wanted to play at the time (mainly some SNES/Genesis stuff, as well as Windjammers/Metal Slug/194x/KoF for Neo Geo). I haven't loaded any new roms onto it since then, and today decided to import a bunch of new stuff to it via FTP. Importing worked fine and all the games are working, but I'm having an issue scraping the metadata. The data itself scrapes just fine (cover art, etc.), however whenever I shut down / reboot the Pi, none of the changes to the metadata stick. The only titles that currently have working metadata are those that I saved months and months ago, nothing new is going through. Anyone have any ideas on what's up with that?

I could just reformat the SD card and put the most-current version of Retropie on there, but I really don't want to spend a weekend loving around with keybinds and emulator settings again when the currently installed version is working perfectly, minus the somewhat annoying metadata issue.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Drone posted:

So last year I set up my Pi 2 with the then-current version of Retropie and, after a lot of fuddling around over a long weekend, finally got it sorted out and configured for all of the games I wanted to play at the time (mainly some SNES/Genesis stuff, as well as Windjammers/Metal Slug/194x/KoF for Neo Geo). I haven't loaded any new roms onto it since then, and today decided to import a bunch of new stuff to it via FTP. Importing worked fine and all the games are working, but I'm having an issue scraping the metadata. The data itself scrapes just fine (cover art, etc.), however whenever I shut down / reboot the Pi, none of the changes to the metadata stick. The only titles that currently have working metadata are those that I saved months and months ago, nothing new is going through. Anyone have any ideas on what's up with that?

I could just reformat the SD card and put the most-current version of Retropie on there, but I really don't want to spend a weekend loving around with keybinds and emulator settings again when the currently installed version is working perfectly, minus the somewhat annoying metadata issue.

This was fixed. You can update RetroPie from RetroPie-Setup.sh (see the site wiki for details), and probably want to back up the card first. You might also be able to just backup ~/home for pi and accomplish the same thing without having a backup file the exact size of your card.

Also, when this was still a bug, I had gotten around it by using the "Exit EmulationStation" option in the restart menu. For some reason, this saved metadata when the other thing didn't.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've spent the past week screwing around with a Pi Zero, I've loaded Recalbox OS to play emulated games and it comes with Kodi which is a bit screwy, and I tried a dual boot with Recalbox and LibreElec which ended up worse.

My current problem is when using Kodi some of my chinese cartoons will be pixelated and the colours hosed up, most movies however play fine except for a few which straight up crash. I'm used to using my shitbox franken-media center with Ubuntu/Kodi which works pretty fine without the above issues so I'm not really sure how to resolve this, as the video files are played over my network/SMB, unless this is just the fact of using a £5 computer on a chip.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Try converting some of the video files you have issues with to another format, and see if that results in better playback.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

doctorfrog posted:

This was fixed. You can update RetroPie from RetroPie-Setup.sh (see the site wiki for details), and probably want to back up the card first. You might also be able to just backup ~/home for pi and accomplish the same thing without having a backup file the exact size of your card.

Also, when this was still a bug, I had gotten around it by using the "Exit EmulationStation" option in the restart menu. For some reason, this saved metadata when the other thing didn't.

Cheers for this, I figured it was a version-specific bug. I'm running through an update via RetroPie-Setup.sh first to see if it works, since my SD card reader on my PC is on the fritz. It's taking forfuckingever to update though (it's been nearly 2 hours now), but I assume the scrolling code on my screen means it's still running through and there's no cause for concern. Worst case scenario, it eventually errors out and I go buy an SD card reader or something to re-image it with the newest version.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Quick question, is there anyway to specify in cfg files for overlays that the image file can just be resized to whatever the native output for the emulator is? I'm probably missing something really simple or being real stupid about this.

Edit; I am stupid and didn't mention that I'm running Retropie

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Another Retropie question: I need to re-image my microSD card today with a freshly downloaded image. How can I go about saving all of my stored metadata first, so that I can then re-import it all after the new image has been written? I spent a few hours over the weekend scraping the correct box art/info and I'd like to avoid having to do that again if I can.

If I just copy out my entire ~/RetroPie/roms/ folder to my PC, will that also carry the metadata with it? Or is the metadata stored separately in some other folder on the Pi?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Drone posted:

Another Retropie question: I need to re-image my microSD card today with a freshly downloaded image. How can I go about saving all of my stored metadata first, so that I can then re-import it all after the new image has been written? I spent a few hours over the weekend scraping the correct box art/info and I'd like to avoid having to do that again if I can.

If I just copy out my entire ~/RetroPie/roms/ folder to my PC, will that also carry the metadata with it? Or is the metadata stored separately in some other folder on the Pi?

Are you using the EmulationStation scraper or the sselph one (https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/scraper) available through the Retropie setup script/menu?

Honestly just use the second and it doesn't matter if you lose the metadata. It matches by ROM hash instead of name and can auto scrape like a thousand ROMs in a few minutes with no incorrect matches in my experience.

The RetroPie team really should find a way to make it the default. There's no reason to go through the painful process of scraping with Emulation Station with it existing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are you using the EmulationStation scraper or the sselph one (https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/scraper) available through the Retropie setup script/menu?

Honestly just use the second and it doesn't matter if you lose the metadata. It matches by ROM hash instead of name and can auto scrape like a thousand ROMs in a few minutes with no incorrect matches in my experience.

The RetroPie team really should find a way to make it the default. There's no reason to go through the painful process of scraping with Emulation Station with it existing.

Yeah, I just said gently caress it and did this. It's worked pretty much perfectly so far.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Does anyone know if the Raspi Zero 1.3 would be able to run google earth at all? Is the performance going to be terrible?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're going to have trouble running google maps, let alone satellite view.

Google Earth though? Good lord.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuna posted:

Does anyone know if the Raspi Zero 1.3 would be able to run google earth at all? Is the performance going to be terrible?

The Raspberry Pi Zero is equivalent in power to a low-mid range computer from 1999 or so. It's going to be really terrible unless you just want to look at a static image.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks, I was just wondering :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you needed that kind of capability, some older Android phones have a micro USB to HDMI adapter. I think you can get a Nexus 4 for around $100 these days, runs Linux and is fully rootable.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

So I finally found a use for my raspberry pi 1 (first gen with only 256mb). I turned into a docker device which now leaves me with a few questions.

I need ARM docker containers, otherwise they won't run on the rpi. I've got an arm alpine container, created by the makers of the docker rpi image.

Can I use arm containers to run x86 software (say nginx, dnsmasq, openvpn and maybe owncloud) or should I get ARM repositories for installing them in the containers too?

Not really an rpi question I guess, but maybe someone here tried to set stuff like this up before.

I realize I could just install raspbian and run the software on the rpi, but I want to get some hands on practise with docker so I figured this might be fun to do.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

So I finally found a use for my raspberry pi 1 (first gen with only 256mb). I turned into a docker device which now leaves me with a few questions.

I need ARM docker containers, otherwise they won't run on the rpi. I've got an arm alpine container, created by the makers of the docker rpi image.

Can I use arm containers to run x86 software (say nginx, dnsmasq, openvpn and maybe owncloud) or should I get ARM repositories for installing them in the containers too?

Not really an rpi question I guess, but maybe someone here tried to set stuff like this up before.

I realize I could just install raspbian and run the software on the rpi, but I want to get some hands on practise with docker so I figured this might be fun to do.

docker is not virtualization, you can't run different architectures in containers

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Resin has a lot of useful images which are made for all RPis. No need to run x86 binaries on arm with qemu.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hadlock posted:

If you needed that kind of capability, some older Android phones have a micro USB to HDMI adapter. I think you can get a Nexus 4 for around $100 these days, runs Linux and is fully rootable.

Nah my requirements are for in-car linux/gps display so I can get away with bigger/powerful boards, I was just curious of the capability of the Zero since I've seen people play minecraft on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuna posted:

Nah my requirements are for in-car linux/gps display so I can get away with bigger/powerful boards, I was just curious of the capability of the Zero since I've seen people play minecraft on it.

That's a cut down version of an old version of the already cut-down smartphone release of Minecraft. It's missing a lot of features and has an even more restricted game world, in order to get acceptable performance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

There's a pirate themed group that does an ARM based docker solution for raspberry pi's. The big problem is that first gen pi is ARM 6 while most everything is built for arm7hf which is the A+ and B2 and higher. The big difference between arm 6 and arm 7 is... Something related to the GPU? I forget.

You can compile pretty much anything for armv6 that's on github though.

Pi 3 really is ideal though, it's 64 bit and arm7hf so drat near anything on x86 will compile for it. Docker technically will run on 32 bit, but only 64 bit is formally supported.

Source: actively converting our product to containers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is cool:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-ii-ethernet-all-the-awesome/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hadlock posted:

There's a pirate themed group that does an ARM based docker solution for raspberry pi's. The big problem is that first gen pi is ARM 6 while most everything is built for arm7hf which is the A+ and B2 and higher. The big difference between arm 6 and arm 7 is... Something related to the GPU? I forget.

You can compile pretty much anything for armv6 that's on github though.

Pi 3 really is ideal though, it's 64 bit and arm7hf so drat near anything on x86 will compile for it. Docker technically will run on 32 bit, but only 64 bit is formally supported.

Source: actively converting our product to containers

The pirate group is Hyperiot, that's the image I'm using. It works perfect, even on a Pi 1. Hyperiot also made a few arm versions of popular images.

My question was more about installing software on containers from those arm images. I created an image based on hyperiot/rpi-alpine-scratch. Can I install all alpine packages on this image, or do I need specific arm versions of packages? And if so do you guys know arm repositories which are usefull?

I went ahead a installed nginx which is now up and running. I think the default alpine repo was used so that'd mean I don't need arm packages, right?