Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The default arm repo

LochNessMonster posted:

The pirate group is Hyperiot, that's the image I'm using. It works perfect, even on a Pi 1. Hyperiot also made a few arm versions of popular images.

My question was more about installing software on containers from those arm images. I created an image based on hyperiot/rpi-alpine-scratch. Can I install all alpine packages on this image, or do I need specific arm versions of packages? And if so do you guys know arm repositories which are usefull?

I went ahead a installed nginx which is now up and running. I think the default alpine repo was used so that'd mean I don't need arm packages, right?

The default alpine repo might have arm packages. You can't run x86 inside arm containers. Docker is just a container, it doesn't do binary translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

evil_bunnY posted:

The default arm repo

The default alpine repo might have arm packages. You can't run x86 inside arm containers. Docker is just a container, it doesn't do binary translation.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, I had some sort of inceptionesque mind freeze here.

Next stop is seeing where to find alpine arm packages then!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well this is pretty neat;

I scrapped the media/emulator box plan and instead loaded Raspbian to dink around with more practical things, although I spent a couple hours last night farting around trying to get a connected wi-fi dongle to authenticate against my router (holy poo poo so much misinformation out there for configuring WPA Supplicant/network interface) I eventually installed Pi Hole which makes for a pretty rad Ad blocker for our home PCs and even comes with a neat web interface to track stuff it's blocked.

I was going to also install OpenVPN but the script I tried to follow constantly crapped out, despite giving myself execute permissions, maybe I'll try a simple install instead next time.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Does anybody know any models of these:

which work on a Raspberry Pi?

I'm basically looking to stream my cable box (albeit in SD) across my network, so figured if I can get a working mpeg input I can use VLC to send it out...

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 8, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Pi 3 really is ideal though, it's 64 bit and arm7hf so drat near anything on x86 will compile for it. Docker technically will run on 32 bit, but only 64 bit is formally supported.

Source: actively converting our product to containers

The CPU is certainly 64 bit capable, but I thought distros are still only running a 32 bit kernel (something about interfacing with the video hardware), or has that changed?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hadlock posted:

Pi 3 really is ideal though, it's 64 bit and arm7hf so drat near anything on x86 will compile for it.

This is just grossly misleading all around. Being 64 bit does nothing to make recompiling things developed on x86 easier, and the Raspberry Pi 3's CPU uses ARMv8-A not ARM7HF.

ickna
May 19, 2004

blunt posted:

I'm basically looking to stream my cable box (albeit in SD) across my network, so figured if I can get a working mpeg input I can use VLC to send it out...

As I recall from when I was building my security cam box to run Motion, they're kind of hit or miss depending on which chip is inside them. Googling around for discussions and amazon links from others using Motion might be a good place to start.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

blunt posted:

Just how exactly is this going to work? You're broadcasting a single channel? I can stream my Cable over the network using an HDHomerun device but that requires a card to decrypt it provided by the cable company. I don't even think that the Pi is cable of transcoding a 480p stream in the first place.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

blunt posted:

The idea of working with that on thing on linux / Raspberry Pi makes me :stonk: inside. I have an EasyCap just like that and getting it to work on Windows 10 was a journey in pain. It shipped with weird unsigned drivers for Windows XP/7, and tracking down its new Win10 drivers took hours of work.

But considering the quality you'd get on RCA composite, it might be easier if you got a 720p webcam and pointed it at your actual TV. Seriously.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depending on the analog video source it could be as high as 500 horizontal lines, you'd need a 1080 camera to be sure

But yeah those cheap Chinese analog digital converters and their drivers are a disaster to work with.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

Just how exactly is this going to work? You're broadcasting a single channel? I can stream my Cable over the network using an HDHomerun device but that requires a card to decrypt it provided by the cable company.

British cable, if that makes a difference? The box has analogue outs that match whatever's going out over HDMI and aren't encrypted/don't require a card etc - this would just show whatever the box is currently tuned to, not a different channel. Can then change channel from an app I already use.

YouTuber posted:

I don't even think that the Pi is cable of transcoding a 480p stream in the first place.

I was intending to just broadcast the incoming stream, not transcode it. You're right though that there's probably a decent change the Pi couldn't handle that.

ickna posted:

As I recall from when I was building my security cam box to run Motion, they're kind of hit or miss depending on which chip is inside them. Googling around for discussions and amazon links from others using Motion might be a good place to start.

Ema Nymton posted:

The idea of working with that on thing on linux / Raspberry Pi makes me :stonk: inside. I have an EasyCap just like that and getting it to work on Windows 10 was a journey in pain. It shipped with weird unsigned drivers for Windows XP/7, and tracking down its new Win10 drivers took hours of work.

But considering the quality you'd get on RCA composite, it might be easier if you got a 720p webcam and pointed it at your actual TV. Seriously.

Hadlock posted:

Depending on the analog video source it could be as high as 500 horizontal lines, you'd need a 1080 camera to be sure

But yeah those cheap Chinese analog digital converters and their drivers are a disaster to work with.

These don't fill me with hope at all. Quality isn't really that important as it's just to go to a PC in a room where no cables have been run, but you've successfully convinced me a Pi isn't going to be the right tool for a 'DIY Slingbox'.

In the meantime my Pi is doing an excellent job as a LAN cam aggregator/broadcaster. Weirdly enough it happily picked up a PS3 Eye Toy without needing drivers.

blunt fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MCM just can't seem to send me the right camera. I ordered the Pi Noir v2 and I've now received two Pi Camera v2s, another old Pi Noir and they they just don't understand that they keep sending me the wrong parts. Oh well, I'll try another distributor I guess. My current Pi camera inventory is up to:
  • 1x Pi Camera v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Noir v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Camera v2 (8MP)
I guess I should sell some of these. Also I just got a shipment notification for a backordered part that was supposed to be cancelled months ago. I think they're mailing me a Pi Sense Hat which I already purchased elsewhere. I guess I'll sell that extra too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

MCM just can't seem to send me the right camera. I ordered the Pi Noir v2 and I've now received two Pi Camera v2s, another old Pi Noir and they they just don't understand that they keep sending me the wrong parts. Oh well, I'll try another distributor I guess. My current Pi camera inventory is up to:
  • 1x Pi Camera v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Noir v1.3 (5MP)
  • 2x Pi Camera v2 (8MP)
I guess I should sell some of these. Also I just got a shipment notification for a backordered part that was supposed to be cancelled months ago. I think they're mailing me a Pi Sense Hat which I already purchased elsewhere. I guess I'll sell that extra too.

I got a noir v2 a few months back from an Amazon seller and I've been a little unhappy with it. I'm trying out motioneyeos to see if it's worth using as a security camera over a $75 Chinese 2560x1440 model but motion eye can't seem to do high res despite the v2 being 8MP. The added cost of doing my own IR cut and lights (not to mention case) probably means the Chinese camera will win.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The value add is the arm core with an OS, not the schmancy camera (so you can do a bunch of things with the data you're getting in). If you literally just want a camera getting that will prob be the best option.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

evil_bunnY posted:

The value add is the arm core with an OS, not the schmancy camera (so you can do a bunch of things with the data you're getting in). If you literally just want a camera getting that will prob be the best option.

I know, I was hoping for higher resolution and the ability to do some custom stuff if I wanted to. I may still use it as a camera but not one of the ones that'll be exposed to the elements.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Oops

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

THIS THREAD posted:

:words: Power supply?
Power Supply.
Power Supply power supply?

Oh wow, do I feel like a dummy. For almost a week I've been just using the USB ports in my PC for power, and then wondering why some games run like poo poo in RetroPie. Now I've been reading this thread for Raspberry Pi ideas, and I see all these posts about getting a decent power supply. ...Huh? Wait, s-so you can't just use any old USB hole? :saddowns:

Fortunately, the Pi I have is a used Kano Computer Kit that someone gifted to me and it came with a USB AC adapter. I plugged it in and now everything's running good. :downs:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
has anyone set up a pi with kodi to use as a media player? i was thinking about getting a starter kit and a powered usb hub to run my little external off of, but i figured i'd ask here first

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I setup a pi b+ with kodi to watch media from a usb drive and it did that great for me. Eventually got replaced by a roku because we wanted to stream some stuff but im sure itd work fine if i pulled that sd card out of whatever box it is collecting dust in.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've switched to osmc and pull video from my synology all day. It works great for the price!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Literally The Worst posted:

has anyone set up a pi with kodi to use as a media player? i was thinking about getting a starter kit and a powered usb hub to run my little external off of, but i figured i'd ask here first

I've been using a Pi B+ for years streaming media over LAN from a Synology NAS. It'll take anything I throw at it, up to and including 1080p video with full DTS audio. And that's just a B+...

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
My daily driver for media is a Pi2 running LibreELEC (and before the drama in May, OpenELEC) for almost 2 years now. Uses both a local drive and a network share to my NAS. Works like a charm for all my 1080p content.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 12, 2016

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Huh, this OSMC looks a lot nicer than openelec. I may try switching my pi3 over to it this weekend.

I've also been using various pi's with Kodi (openelec) for years and they've been great for the most part. I do have a 4k mkv that it will just not play, though. I dunno if it's because it's having to scale it down for my 1080p set or what. It might even be an IO limitation from the crappy usb bus the network adapter is on

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Ema Nymton posted:

Oh wow, do I feel like a dummy. For almost a week I've been just using the USB ports in my PC for power, and then wondering why some games run like poo poo in RetroPie. Now I've been reading this thread for Raspberry Pi ideas, and I see all these posts about getting a decent power supply. ...Huh? Wait, s-so you can't just use any old USB hole? :saddowns:

Fortunately, the Pi I have is a used Kano Computer Kit that someone gifted to me and it came with a USB AC adapter. I plugged it in and now everything's running good. :downs:

Were there any emulators that still were underperforming for you afterwards? I have no trouble with NES, Genesis, PSX, and ScummVM - but the SNES and N64 ones are a bit of a hassle. I'm wondering if I need to install the experimental rather than vanilla versions of those emulators possibly (I'd seen it before but haven't gotten the time to go through the retropiesetup.sh lately.

(I'm currently using an AC adapter, but need to check the amperage.)

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

n.. posted:

Huh, this OSMC looks a lot nicer than openelec. I may try switching my pi3 over to it this weekend.

I've also been using various pi's with Kodi (openelec) for years and they've been great for the most part. I do have a 4k mkv that it will just not play, though. I dunno if it's because it's having to scale it down for my 1080p set or what. It might even be an IO limitation from the crappy usb bus the network adapter is on

OSMC is just RaspBMC under a new name with a custom skin. You're not going to get better performance than OpenElec because it's just sitting on top of a Linux build that contains just the bare essentials to run Kodi. OSMC has a full Debian session underneath.

Also, what happened to OpenElec? Did the main dev disappear or was there internal drama?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Also, what happened to OpenElec? Did the main dev disappear or was there internal drama?

Lots of drama (something about a dev selling out to WeTek, trying to force people to focus on that?), basically the entire team left and started LibreELEC, and OpenELEC hasn't received updates since May as a result.

Thankfully there is a painless manual update .tar to go from OpenELEC to LibreELEC.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

37th Chamber posted:

Lots of drama (something about a dev selling out to WeTek, trying to force people to focus on that?), basically the entire team left and started LibreELEC, and OpenELEC hasn't received updates since May as a result.

Thankfully there is a painless manual update .tar to go from OpenELEC to LibreELEC.

Ah, so a name change essentially. OpenElec was a really important project for Kodi since that was where all the innovative side projects originated from. The PVR stuff was showcased on OpenElec long before they appeared in the main line Kodi builds.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone able to comment on how well Moonlight runs on the Pi3? I plan on upgrading my gaming rig some time this year or early 2017. Initially I'll be using the Pi3 as a NAS (yeah I'm aware of the USB/Ethernet bus sharing) but once the new gaming rig comes on line I'll shunt the old box to NAS duty. The new box will be the first I've owned that has a 600+ series card. I'm kinda interested on how well Moonlight works.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Anyone able to comment on how well Moonlight runs on the Pi3? I plan on upgrading my gaming rig some time this year or early 2017. Initially I'll be using the Pi3 as a NAS (yeah I'm aware of the USB/Ethernet bus sharing) but once the new gaming rig comes on line I'll shunt the old box to NAS duty. The new box will be the first I've owned that has a 600+ series card. I'm kinda interested on how well Moonlight works.

By all reports it works fine, though you miss out on h265 support.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Alucard posted:

Were there any emulators that still were underperforming for you afterwards? I have no trouble with NES, Genesis, PSX, and ScummVM - but the SNES and N64 ones are a bit of a hassle. I'm wondering if I need to install the experimental rather than vanilla versions of those emulators possibly (I'd seen it before but haven't gotten the time to go through the retropiesetup.sh lately.

(I'm currently using an AC adapter, but need to check the amperage.)
Before I tried the right power plug, I couldn't run N64 games, some (but not all) SNES games had poor sound, SNES FX chip games ran badly, and certain arcade games like Outrun had stuttering sound and extreme lag. Bizarrely, PSX games ran well, so I didn't think anything was wrong with my Pi itself until this thread gave me the idea to check the power.

After I fixed the power issue, almost all the games run extremely well, and now N64 games can run-- but they're hit or miss and it seems like I need to use a different emulator for every other game for it to look right. There's still lag in some games, but others run great. I have a Raspberry Pi 2, and putting the CPU up to "performance" level really helped the N64 games too. But out of all the emulators, it feels the least stable. Then again, even on my PC N64 emulation feels flawed.

If you're curious, here are the some specifications for the power supply that is packed with the Kano kit. Mine has an american plug, but I believe it's the same.
http://stontronics.com/official-kano-computing-power-supply.html

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah no power supply is going to fix the fact that n64 emulation is still pretty crappy today on machines that can handle it, and n64 emulation is also approaching the hardware limits of what the pi can actually do.

Your power supply was the problem, don't get me wrong, because it did improve the situation to the point of it not being the problem anymore, since it made everything else work, but if you want a reliable way to play every n64 game unfortunately emulation is not the way to go with that system on any hardware. You're going to have to get a real n64 and a flashcart if you want that experience.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
OK my power supply isn't the problem, it's a Vilros 5V 2.4A (mine's an RPi3) so I might do a different snes emulator and just give up on n64...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ema Nymton posted:

Before I tried the right power plug, I couldn't run N64 games, some (but not all) SNES games had poor sound, SNES FX chip games ran badly, and certain arcade games like Outrun had stuttering sound and extreme lag. Bizarrely, PSX games ran well, so I didn't think anything was wrong with my Pi itself until this thread gave me the idea to check the power.

After I fixed the power issue, almost all the games run extremely well, and now N64 games can run-- but they're hit or miss and it seems like I need to use a different emulator for every other game for it to look right. There's still lag in some games, but others run great. I have a Raspberry Pi 2, and putting the CPU up to "performance" level really helped the N64 games too. But out of all the emulators, it feels the least stable. Then again, even on my PC N64 emulation feels flawed.

If you're curious, here are the some specifications for the power supply that is packed with the Kano kit. Mine has an american plug, but I believe it's the same.
http://stontronics.com/official-kano-computing-power-supply.html

So did your n64 games run like dogshit before or did they just not run at all?

I'm having a problem right now where I just can't get n64 emulation to do nearly anything. I tested with Mario 64 among others and of the 3 n64 emulators they just try to start up then dump me straight back to emulation station. I haven't found any error logs though. I wiped all the configs, uninstalled every n64 emulator, updated the retropie config script and recompiled mupen64plus or whatever it's called (the recommended one) and still, same problem. I tried compiling the other emulators, same problem. I tried installing from the binaries and again same problem. I tried using the different video cores and..... Same problem. These roms were tested on pc and work fine. Every other console runs perfectly on the pi3, haven't tried psx but snes and everything else is a perfect 60fps the whole way through.

The weird thing is, each of those 3 emulators WILL play a few certain games (like trash, but of course I haven't done any further configuration since 90% of stuff won't even launch). The2 snowboard kid games from Atlus and pilotwings, probably others I haven't tried because, Christ, if Mario 64 ain't booting I know something is wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just don't bother with N64 emulation on the thing. The biggest bottleneck it has is that every current N64 emulator across major platforms relies on translating as much as they can in the rendering pipeline direct from the N64 calls to say draw a polygon or rotate a shape, to the respective calls used for your phone's GPU or a modern video card. The problem with this for the Pis is that they're still using that horrible 10 year old GPU that never had great performance to begin with, so a ton of that stuff has to be shoved onto CPU on top of the already pretty serious demands of emulating the rest of the N64.

This all means that most games are going to run terribly no matter what, since there's only a few games that have gotten optimizations that work well on the Pi.

The way PSX games get rendered, and the way PSX emulators get written, has always relied much less on these sorts of things. The PSX is at its a core a significantly slower system with less complicated hardware - the CPU for instance benchmarks at about 30 MIPS in the PS1 while the N64 benchmarks at 125 MIPS (million instructions per second, a rough guide to comparative computing power). There's also less RAM in general in the PS1 and less cache, with the exception of how the N64 had the stupid design to have a very small texture cache (which is why N64 textures are all blurry, to get them to fit). So, it runs a lot better in emulation on the Pi.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The N64 also happens to be a microcoded technological marvel from Silicon Graphics that crammed a cut-down SGI Indy into a $200 mass-market game console.

Having seen what an N64 is like to work with from a programming perspective, and having seen what Factor 5 did with the display processor on the thing, I'm not surprised emulation of it is still a pain in the rear end in 2016, even on a high end desktop.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well a large part of the problem is that no one really bothered to start implementing a proper low-level emulator, like we have for most other systems, until very recently. Everyone was sticking with the very high level design that UltraHLE did back in the late 90s to allow the most common N64 games run on that time's much slower computers, and then further emulator work stayed on that model.

So we need many more years of work on low-level ones now, albeit they'll finally fix a ton of bugs in current emulation and should eventually be faster in a reliable sort of way (The Wii and GameCube have far more work done in that despite being newer system, and actually run faster on most computers!). CEN64 is currently the main emulator doing this, and MAME is also implementing their own - many games already work great so long as you have an Intel i5 or better from the past ~4 years.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I finally got around to putting together the 4A brick for the Pi 3. Even then it took some messing around. I think the low voltage cord I used is too long. Going balls out it sees a 0.2v drop on the 5v rail. Having the zero plugged in at the same time doesn't affect anything. The Pi3 can be a hungry little beast.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

BrainDance posted:

So did your n64 games run like dogshit before or did they just not run at all?

Without the right plug, the N64 games either didn't run at all or tried to, displaying a frame every couple seconds, or a black screen with stuttering music playing over it. Basically unplayable.

With the plug, I can play several games pretty well, with some sounds issues, after figuring out which emulator matches each game. But others like Mega Man 64 are horribly slow no matter what.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ema Nymton posted:

Without the right plug, the N64 games either didn't run at all or tried to, displaying a frame every couple seconds, or a black screen with stuttering music playing over it. Basically unplayable.

With the plug, I can play several games pretty well, with some sounds issues, after figuring out which emulator matches each game. But others like Mega Man 64 are horribly slow no matter what.

Hmm,I got one of those Vilros kits so I assumed they sent out a decent plug with it, but our wiring is poo poo so maybe it's that. I overclocked it too so maybe that's causing some problems.

I know it's gonna run like poo poo either way and in the end I'll probably just scrap out n64 all together (I'm building an emulation box as a Christmas present to my cousins, so there's no point leaving barely playable stuff there. I'm just having fun loving around with it while I've got it before Christmas.) but it's just bugging me that I can't even get Mario 64 or Mario kart to even boot, since I know that shouldn't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What's the best forum for raspberry pi hardware stuff? Like custom interfacing projects etc? I'm half considering doing a laptop transplant on one. I went digging in my shed and found some 286 to early Pentium laptops. If one happens to be defunct it would make a good donor.