Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Running Android doesn't mean running the full Google stack (including their play store) though. The BBB can run Android and hasn't really set the world on fire, so I'm not sure it would change much if the Pi ran a version of Android without any Google apps. I've done a bit of Android development and IMHO if you're just hacking on personal projects I would stuck with Raspbian and all the tools available in a full Linux distro. Doing all your development in Java gets annoying, and although the tooling is getting better there are still some really rough edges around stuff like testing in Android.

The news is great for getting access to all the capabilities of the GPU though. Stuff like the pi camera have haven't been fully integrated into Linux because not much was known about the GPU interface. Hopefully this release will help change some of that for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
We might be able to run Netflix though right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I doubt it, Netflix doesn't support Linux today because it uses Silverlight for DRM-controlled streaming video. There's talk of them moving to HTML5 once the DRM issues can be sorted out, but until then Netflix is only on Windows, Mac, and devices they control.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Check out package netflix-desktop in ubuntu, repository ppa:pipelight/stable. I doubt you will get it working on ARM devices but x86/x64 devices do work. Note that it uninstalls regular WINE installation since they needed some custom patches.

The Broadcom release is good news. Maybe we will finally see more GPU accelerated stuff. Or maybe they will fix the USB drivers which have been bugged since release. I did some looking and I'm pretty sure that's what's causing lovely performance as a NAS or sabnzbd box, and the random "system hangs" after a couple days (actually network crapouts).

For reference, put too much load on the USB subsystem and things start breaking, specifically it starts dropping USB packets and/or the network stack craps out. It's not even a weird edge case, since the ethernet controller and the SD card are on the USB bus virtually anything you do will hit this use case. Recent firmware forces the bus speed down to a crawl to prevent the network crap-outs. As mentioned, this bug has been documented since a few weeks after release and up to this point the response has been "*shrug* what do you expect from a $35 device" and flak from the RPI team about whether this behavior is really "broken" or not.

Gee, the other $35 ARM mini PC manufacturers sure seem to do OK. I mean I feel for them a little bit since Broadcom's documentation is so bad, but they adamantly refused to consider any other supplier because they were so gung-ho on Broadcom, so they really made that bed for themselves. This documentation should have been released two years ago.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 28, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Google apps can be downloaded and installed separately from the ROM. Cynanogen mod for example doesn't include it, you have to install separately from the bootloader. BBB is a smaller community as well, it doesn't have the widespread chatter around it like the Raspberry Pi. The best marketing tool is the people who use it and Pi users are very chatty about their projects. Android is just another feather in their cap for stuff to develop with.

But really, the main focus on Android is it's use as a touchscreen ready interface. Making your own dashboard car GPS is much easier with Android than fumbling with any Linux made one. Most car builds I've seen use clunky wireless touchpad/keyboards to control the mouse.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

mod sassinator posted:

I doubt it, Netflix doesn't support Linux today because it uses Silverlight for DRM-controlled streaming video. There's talk of them moving to HTML5 once the DRM issues can be sorted out, but until then Netflix is only on Windows, Mac, and devices they control.

I mean if someone gets Android running, then it's just a matter of dual booting.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I mean if someone gets Android running, then it's just a matter of dual booting.

You do not "dual boot" a raspi. You just swap the SD cards.

On the other hand, android runs "natively" in the cubietruck (it comes with android preinstalled). The first thing you want to do with a cubie is to install linux instead...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Amberskin posted:

On the other hand, android runs "natively" in the cubietruck (it comes with android preinstalled). The first thing you want to do with a cubie is to install linux instead...

Compiling your own kernel is a terrible experience. If anyone cares, I'll throw up a kernel+dtb+u-boot which enables HYP

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Amberskin posted:

I dual boot mine. I have raspbmc and raspian on one SD card and switch between them with noobs.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

CygnusTM posted:

I dual boot mine. I have raspbmc and raspian on one SD card and switch between them with noobs.

Hmm I didn't know you can use NOOBS to create a custom multisystem SD... I thought it was just for the install card. Nice one.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

frozen meat at high speed

YouTuber posted:

Check your HDMI-CEC settings by using a keyboard. Your sound may have just been cycled from HDMI to the Analog jack. Check in with the XBMC thread over in Inspect your Gadgets. This sounds all software.

Yeah, that turned out to be the case. Tested it out with analog sound output and it was all good. Took some time dicking about in config files getting it working again, but all sorted now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone had success moving their root fs to a usb stick? I tried a couple of tutorials but I seem to brick it at some point. I've managed to get the usb stick formatted with a copy of the install on it, but when I switch it over in fstab and cmdline.txt it won't boot any more. I'll try to post some examples of my fdisk and configuration files after this next attempt.

df -h posted:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.6G 2.0G 469M 82% /
/dev/root 2.6G 2.0G 469M 82% /
devtmpfs 211M 0 211M 0% /dev
tmpfs 44M 236K 44M 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 88M 0 88M 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 56M 19M 38M 34% /boot
/dev/sda1 29G 2.0G 26G 8% /mnt/usb

fstab on the usb stick posted:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda1p1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, so no using swapon|off from here on, u$

cmdline.txt on sdcard posted:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2014

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
From a quick glance your cmdline.txt still has root=/dev/mmcblk0p2, also your usb stick would be /dev/sda(part #) so if it's on the first partition it'd be /dev/sda1.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

From a quick glance your cmdline.txt still has root=/dev/mmcblk0p2, also your usb stick would be /dev/sda(part #) so if it's on the first partition it'd be /dev/sda1.

Ah yeah, that's from a fresh install. I had it set to /dev/sda1p1, which is the only partition on the usb drive and has the copy of the fs from the sd card.

Edit: Changing it to root=/dev/sda1p1 gives me this...

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 8, 2014

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Unless something changed in the last few kernel versions you don't access partitions like that for USB sticks and things like HDDs.
Partition 1 on your USB stick is going to be /dev/sda1, 2 being /dev/sda2, ect...

So if your / is on partition 1 of your USB stick you'd put "root=/dev/sda1".

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Unless something changed in the last few kernel versions you don't access partitions like that for USB sticks and things like HDDs.
Partition 1 on your USB stick is going to be /dev/sda1, 2 being /dev/sda2, ect...

So if your / is on partition 1 of your USB stick you'd put "root=/dev/sda1".

Changing it to /dev/sda1 fixed the booting problem. I have some errors about the file system, but hopefully I can work those out. Thanks!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Just a quick heads up, rpi-update has broken my USB root setup every single time so far.
I'd back everything up before trying to update.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Just a quick heads up, rpi-update has broken my USB root setup every single time so far.
I'd back everything up before trying to update.

I was under the assumption that rpi-update was a jury-rigged hack and that it was no longer needed now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

YouTuber posted:

I was under the assumption that rpi-update was a jury-rigged hack and that it was no longer needed now.

What, if anything, has replaced it?

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Anyone know a decent bluetooth headset and adapter that work with the Pi? I need one to use with pocketsphinx for a robot. I have heard it is sort of hard to get it working but haven't look at it myself. And if the headset have an on/off button would be a nice bonus since the environment is quite noisy.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ItBurns posted:

What, if anything, has replaced it?

You should get firmware updates via the raspbian repositories if I'm not wrong. I have got at least one (and it broke my setup because I didn't had the /boot partition mounted, so it dropped its stuff into the /boot directory of my root HD).

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Amberskin posted:

You should get firmware updates via the raspbian repositories if I'm not wrong. I have got at least one (and it broke my setup because I didn't had the /boot partition mounted, so it dropped its stuff into the /boot directory of my root HD).

That sucks. Would adding the mmcblk0p1 partition back to fstab as /boot prevent this?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ItBurns posted:

That sucks. Would adding the mmcblk0p1 partition back to fstab as /boot prevent this?

Yes, it does. Or do the manual mount before updating.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

YouTuber posted:

Check your HDMI-CEC settings by using a keyboard. Your sound may have just been cycled from HDMI to the Analog jack. Check in with the XBMC thread over in Inspect your Gadgets. This sounds all software.

Thanks for this info. Mine also stopped working and while we control it using Yatse for Android, it's still nice to use the TV remote when a phone isn't nearby. Going to give this a try tonight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beaglebone Black finally has native Debian support :woop:

*digs BBB out of disused box*

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

Beaglebone Black finally has native Debian support :woop:

*digs BBB out of disused box*

You should be using FreeBSD anyway :colbert:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does anyone know if there are plans to have the camera module support exposures longer than 0.8s when the shutter is manually controlled?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've moved, and I don't have a wireless dongle for my pi. Has there been any more work done on wayland/weston? I don't want to pull it away from my router and buy a wifi dongle unless it is more usable outside of a shell.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

keyvin posted:

I've moved, and I don't have a wireless dongle for my pi. Has there been any more work done on wayland/weston? I don't want to pull it away from my router and buy a wifi dongle unless it is more usable outside of a shell.

I've heard nothing new about it. The drivers being released may end up doing something later down the line but I've not heard of anyone claiming the 10k USD bounty yet.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I know the Raspberry Pi isn't a speed demon or anything, but moving the mouse on a fresh install of Raspbian shouldn't use up 100% of the CPU and bog the entire system down, right?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Recycle Bin posted:

I know the Raspberry Pi isn't a speed demon or anything, but moving the mouse on a fresh install of Raspbian shouldn't use up 100% of the CPU and bog the entire system down, right?

No, it should not. What does "top" say?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Amberskin posted:

No, it should not. What does "top" say?

99% odds it says "Xorg" from the graphics not being accelerated for some reason.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Just formatted and reinstalled and it looks like that solved the problem

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

evol262 posted:

99% odds it says "Xorg" from the graphics not being accelerated for some reason.

For some reason? I thought there was zero hardware acceleration in X at the moment? Unless I've missed some update...

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
When putting XBMC on the Raspberry Pi, do I need to install the NOOBs onto the SD Card first or is there a separate OX/XBMC software that I install on there instead?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Noobs comes with openelec and raspbmc, both of which are distros that use xbmc.

Now if you have an operating system already that you want to install xbmc on, that you can't do with noobs as far as I'm aware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nvidia's releasing a high-performance Rpi-alike, the Jetson TK1. Features 4+1 core 1.6ghz processor, 16gb memory, USB 3.0, SATA, half-wide Mini PCI-E, gigabit ethernet, and 192 core CUDA gpu. The Pro version features a mSATA slot with wifi, bluetooth, and GPS modules.

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
http://www.nvidia.com/object/jetson-automotive-development-platform.html

This is much more powerful than the Parallela and should have great code portability.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 30, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nvidia's releasing a high-performance Rpi-alike, the Jetson TK1. Features 4+1 core 1.6ghz processor, 16gb memory, USB 3.0, SATA, half-wide Mini PCI-E, gigabit ethernet, and 192 core CUDA gpu. The Pro version features a mSATA slot with wifi, bluetooth, and GPS modules.

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
http://www.nvidia.com/object/jetson-automotive-development-platform.html

This is much more powerful than the Parallela and should have great code portability.

192 cores at 192 dollars... Definitely not in the same league as the Rpi. Not even the same league as the Cubietruck.

Having said that, this thing has to rock!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The pro version is intended for prototyping automobile systems like driver assist and GPS. They're only selling it to people developing applications specifically for automobiles, and they're probably selling it at a loss, since they intend for manufacturers to order custom hardware from them at a later date. They also mention that it's overpowered on purpose, and the actual products OEMs buy will universally have way lower specs. That being said, they're not going to sell the pro kit to you unless you're working/contracting for Ford or Toyota or some automobile A/V company.

Edit: VVV Oh, I see, I was looking at the pro version, which is an automotive kit. Updated accordingly. VVV

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

dpbjinc posted:

That's intended for prototyping automobile systems like driver assist and GPS. They're only selling it to people developing applications specifically for automobiles, and they're probably selling it at a loss, since they intend for manufacturers to order custom hardware from them at a later date. They also mention that it's overpowered on purpose, and the actual products OEMs buy will universally have way lower specs. That being said, they're not going to sell it to you unless you're working/contracting for Ford or Toyota or some automobile A/V company.

Huh? They're going to sell it at Newegg and Microcenter, so it's not some closed thing.

That said it's certainly not going to be something most people want. To use the power of the GPU you'll need to use CUDA and other GPU acceleration APIs, so it's really meant for stuff like video processing. It's not going to be a board you can slap XBMC on and watch videos on your TV easily. Will probably make an interesting board for people that mine cryptocurrencies though.