Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Amberskin posted:

I didn't remember this card has LOTS of GPIOs. Now I just have to thing about a project to use it :getin:

Connect it to 1 or 2 relais boards like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181205783202 combined with a webserver and some php scripts and control your lights, doors, shutters and whatever else you can think of with your smartphone. Or use it to provide statistics on power or water consumption (there's loads of meters with a s0 interface which is trivial to connect to a RPi or BBB). That's what I'm doing with my Beaglebone. It may not provide the same convenience as professional home automation systems, but it is cheaper and more fun when doing it on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

keyvin posted:

If anyone is curious freebsd runs on the Pi. It takes about a minute and a half to boot. The system is extremely sluggish. There isn't a repository for pkg to use meaning that everything would have to be compiled through ports unless I am missing something. Oh, it only successfully mounts the root file system every other boot or so. The keyboard sometimes stopped responding. Overall I would say that yes, you can install freebsd on the pi - but it isn't really usable. Hopefully the BBB is a lot better. Guess I'll find out in May.

Is the sluggish performance because it's new/unsupported for the Raspberry Pi or because of hardware limitations like the ARM processor? I've had a notion to tinker with FreeBSD but not enough motivation to install it on my main box.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Is the sluggish performance because it's new/unsupported for the Raspberry Pi or because of hardware limitations like the ARM processor? I've had a notion to tinker with FreeBSD but not enough motivation to install it on my main box.

I'd assume it's a bit of both (e.g, complaints about the lovely sd card slot), but to clear up somethings: freebsd supports the rpi as a tier 2 architecture, which means that you can file bugs and generally expect stuff to get fixed. There aren't any official releases or packages built for it, but there are third party packages and there are official (hosted on freebsd.org) snapshots available. So probably the only downside is that if you don't trust someone else's packages then you are stuck building your own on the rpi's slow CPU or figuring out cross-compilation.

If you want to mess around with freebsd more than you want to with the rpi though I'd really suggest just using a VM.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.raspberrypi.org/preview-the-upcoming-maynard-desktop/

Looks like Raspberry Pi is making their own custom desktop enviroment using Wayland so they can better take advantage of their limited hardware. Looks rough but pretty slick.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Thanks for this.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

YouTuber posted:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/preview-the-upcoming-maynard-desktop/

Looks like Raspberry Pi is making their own custom desktop enviroment using Wayland so they can better take advantage of their limited hardware. Looks rough but pretty slick.

Oh wow that looks really slick. Anyone try it out yet? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm looking to connect an analog joystick to my Pi and read it using a simple Python program. I've tried a Logitech F310, but half the time I can't get the Pi to recognize when it's plugged in (though I did buy it refurbished off eBay, so...). I've heard of people connecting Does anyone know of a simple, reliable solution? Perhaps connect a bare joystick module to an analog-digital converter?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cockmaster posted:

I'm looking to connect an analog joystick to my Pi and read it using a simple Python program. I've tried a Logitech F310, but half the time I can't get the Pi to recognize when it's plugged in (though I did buy it refurbished off eBay, so...). I've heard of people connecting Does anyone know of a simple, reliable solution? Perhaps connect a bare joystick module to an analog-digital converter?

I'm not sure about the analog joystick component, but could the gamepad be drawing too much current for the USB ports to handle normally? Have you tried it through a powered USB hub?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure about the analog joystick component, but could the gamepad be drawing too much current for the USB ports to handle normally? Have you tried it through a powered USB hub?

I've tried it both ways, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cockmaster posted:

Does anyone know of a simple, reliable solution? Perhaps connect a bare joystick module to an analog-digital converter?
As it so happens someone posted an article about doing this just the other day.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Does anyone know how I can get a vpn client to run and get my webserver/ssh etc. to still work? Or alternatively, how to only use the VPN for one program and use my normal internet for the rest? When I connect to the VPN nothing else seems to work (this makes sense to me, but not enough for me to figure out how to fix it)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Slimy Hog posted:

Does anyone know how I can get a vpn client to run and get my webserver/ssh etc. to still work? Or alternatively, how to only use the VPN for one program and use my normal internet for the rest? When I connect to the VPN nothing else seems to work (this makes sense to me, but not enough for me to figure out how to fix it)

What VPN are you using, and does it change your default route?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm using Private Internet Access, and I don't know how to see if it changes my default route. I did some research today and found out that PIA changes ports on occasion, so I'm not sure anything is going to work.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
In a console run the route command with no arguments when you aren't connected, and run it again when you are connected.

Edit: I misread your post.

Are you not able to access the pi from your local network when the VPN is running? Or are you wanting to connect to the PI remotely via the VPN?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 22, 2014

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

keyvin posted:

In a console run the route command with no arguments when you aren't connected, and run it again when you are connected.

Edit: I misread your post.

Are you not able to access the pi from your local network when the VPN is running? Or are you wanting to connect to the PI remotely via the VPN?

I am not able to access the pi from the local network while the VPN is running.

EDIT: Ignore my previous edit. After changing some things and then changing them all back, it seems to be working now..... I'm not sure what I did.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Damnit! After success, then failure, then success, I'm back at failure. Open vpn is running, I can access my pi through ssh and I can get to my webserver, but the vpn doesn't seem to be working correctly. I can't ping google; I get an unknown host error. I don't really need this working so I may just give the whole thing up.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Slimy Hog posted:

Damnit! After success, then failure, then success, I'm back at failure. Open vpn is running, I can access my pi through ssh and I can get to my webserver, but the vpn doesn't seem to be working correctly. I can't ping google; I get an unknown host error. I don't really need this working so I may just give the whole thing up.

My first guess is still a routing issue. Its been so long since I have messed with openvpn I'm not sure I could talk you through it, but if you post in the linux Q&A thread I'm sure someone could help get you sorted.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
I'm not on a Pi so can't confirm it's the supported command there, but what's your output from route -v ?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I'm not on a Pi so can't confirm it's the supported command there, but what's your output from route -v ?

This is with the VPN:
code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         10.184.1.9      128.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 tun0
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
10.184.1.1      10.184.1.9      255.255.255.255 UGH   0      0        0 tun0
10.184.1.9      *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 tun0
109.201.154.204 192.168.0.1     255.255.255.255 UGH   0      0        0 eth0
128.0.0.0       10.184.1.9      128.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 tun0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
and without:
code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Just an FYI, Makertronic sent a followup on the rev C Beaglebones with pricing.

I'm using a rev B with the Probotix 3 axis kit on my CNC Enco drill mill project with no problems but I'm using the SD card.

Here's the email.

"We found a stash of Beaglebone Black Rev B's!

There are very few left so get them while you can!

BeagleBone Rev B $45 as always.

BeagleBone Rev B Combo Deal $59.99 Includes a Rev B and an Acrylic Case, use coupon code BLACKISBACK and get a discount on shipping.

Pre-order the Rev C BeagelBone Black. Only $55, reserve yours today!
Rev C until will not begin shipping until after May 5th."

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bananapi.org/

So I see this making the rounds on the Raspberry Pi community blogs. It feels like a scam or OUYA level pipedream. Anyone else getting this vibe?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Allwinner A20 is kinda poo poo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
"Now you real can do your daily works on it"

If they can't put together a coherent web page, How can they put together a reliable board?

Edit:
Adafruit had some beagle bone blacks in stock and mine comes today. Looking forward to playing with the thing. I also ordered an 8 channel (is that the right word?) level shifter I need to solder together. Looking forward to interfacing with my arduino.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 25, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

keyvin posted:

If they can't put together a coherent web page, How can they put together a reliable board?

Edit:
Adafruit had some beagle bone blacks in stock and mine comes today. Looking forward to playing with the thing. I also ordered an 8 channel (is that the right word?) level shifter I need to solder together. Looking forward to interfacing with my arduino.

I can't speak to the quality of the board, but I don't think being a fluent english speaker has any bearing on PCB design.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

keyvin posted:

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is in England and the Rev 1.0 boards still had board-design problems. Remember how they selected the wrong polyfuse and the USB would poo poo itself over minor loads like keyboards and wifi dongles? Or how they forgot some diode and it caused enough noise to gently caress with the CEC on any other devices on the HDMI chain? They even silkscreened the wrong words on the board, if they won't even proofread how can you expect them to put together a reliable board? :smug:

Seriously guys China designs and produces a shitload of the electronics you use on a daily basis. That's everything from PCI cards all the way through whole devices like tablets. If you have a knockoff brand phone or tablet it's probably designed in China, and they reverse-engineer knockoffs of new name-brand products within days, no problem. There's already tons of knockoff Android MiniPCs out there and they work just fine, this is just one of those with a Debian-based kernel instead of Android (and without a case, so you can feel all technical and poo poo).

Every device has minor bugs and goes through revisions and improvements, what matters is how responsive the manufacturer is. And the Pi Foundation has had its failings there too (eg it took them 1.5-2 years before they got the USB firmware to stop dropping packets and they were pretty lovely to people who complained about it or bugreported). That kind of stuff is honestly what I'd be more worried about than board problems or it being a scam - relatively small bugs that have large impacts and never get fixed. Of course it's entirely possible that the Chinese SoC manufacturer is more forthcoming with the necessary documentation than Broadcom was (can't really be much worse).

Personally I'd rather see something with a higher-specced SoC if I'm gonna buy Chinese junk, or buy one of the Nvidia Jetson TK1 Tegra-based system-on-boards for something supported. It's pretty expensive for what it is - you can get quad-core Android mini-PCs with 2gb of memory for cheaper than the Banana Pi's 1gb dual-core. Way better than 256mb single-core of course, but that's why it's not a scam - it's 50% more expensive than equally-specced better-featured competitors. Some factory probably just took one of their mini PCs, threw the Raspberry Pi GPIO header on there, and marked it up a bunch to cash in on the Raspberry Pi name.

I'm glad to see that manufacturers are starting to shift to offering real Linux kernels instead of Android, though. There's a few hobbyists tinkering around with the MK### Rockchip-based devices but all the official support is (sensibly) focused around Android. More memory and more (and faster) cores would make the Pi a lot more effective at things like serving Samba via SSL, as would opening up the GPU with OpenCL or some other heterogenous-computing API.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2014

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I personally didn't care if they were located in China, Japan, Brazil, France, or Spain. If you can't pay someone $25 to proof your website selling your product, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that you are using a reliable manufacturing process or that the company would stand behind their product. I didn't mean to say that their design was lovely. I wouldn't be able to design a board the size of the raspberry pi. I haven't even done any real world CE and my capstone undergrad course literally used a 20 year old 68k.

I just meant the quality of the production process that literally puts the components together was likely to be questionable. Like lovely imitation apple products level of quality.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So $25 is enough to completely reverse your opinion on their entire design, production and QA process? That's still a completely bizarre argument. I mean world-leading electronics giants put out stuff with translation quirks, that says more about their marketing departments than anything

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

baka kaba posted:

So $25 is enough to completely reverse your opinion on their entire design, production and QA process? That's still a completely bizarre argument. I mean world-leading electronics giants put out stuff with translation quirks, that says more about their marketing departments than anything

People get nixed in application processes over missing periods on their resume.

If I am not mistaken there isn't even a product to review yet. All we have to go on is their website which I swear had a download link a few days ago and is now gone. Unless I am missing something there is no clear way to easily download an image to get started with it. There is no link to documentation. The site references a wiki which it doesn't link to and I am unable to find using google.

But this in no way should prejudice us against buying the Banana Pi.

Edit:

I just clicked on the buy it now link - it doesn't even do anything. I took a guess that it would be on allibaba and that is where they are actually selling it. Looking at buyers, they have sold one unit to someone in Germany in the past two days.

Edit 2:

Was this lovely page even made by the manufacturer designer or is it someone reselling the product?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 27, 2014

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Mystery solved. That is some lovely site that will likely be reselling it.

I present the real banana pi site

Edit:
Let's all note the lack of glaring grammatical errors and broken links on the website of a company that actually wants to sell their product.

I feel bad for them because that lovely IP infringing site is really going to hurt their business.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 27, 2014

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

keyvin posted:

Mystery solved. That is some lovely site that will likely be reselling it.

I present the real banana pi site

Edit:
Let's all note the lack of glaring grammatical errors and broken links on the website of a company that actually wants to sell their product.

I feel bad for them because that lovely IP infringing site is really going to hurt their business.

Except that site is a direct(ish) 1:1(ish) copy of a site apparently called lemaker.org, with the notable difference that the images load properly on lemaker.org and not on bananapi.org. Maybe they're the same site and instead of doing a DNS redirect or anything else REMOTELY sensible, we recreated the actual files on both sites, and either didn't copy the pictures over, or assumed they would link properly to the CDN (which they don't) and didn't properly test it.

And that the image of the board says VIEDO OUT

And that it looks like the lowest-effort website you could make for something like this.

I don't know if the board itself is any good or not and I'm not even attempting to pass judgement on that, but that second site doesn't, to me, paint any prettier a picture of the product.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

teamdest posted:

Except that site is a direct(ish) 1:1(ish) copy of a site apparently called lemaker.org

code:
keyvin@desktop:~$ ping lemaker.org
PING hkserver66.800cdn.com (113.10.174.202) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 113.10.174.202: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=306 ms
^C
--- hkserver66.800cdn.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 1 received, 50% packet loss, time 1000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 306.282/306.282/306.282/0.000 ms
keyvin@desktop:~$ ping [url]www.banana-pi.org[/url]
PING hkserver66.800cdn.com (113.10.174.202) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 113.10.174.202: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=306 ms
64 bytes from 113.10.174.202: icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=248 ms
It's the same server?

Viedo isn't exactly glaring. Their site doesn't look all that different from the raspi site a few redesigns ago. Site works fine for me.

The lovely site bananapi.org turned out to be fly by night. It's almost like based off their website you could tell you shouldn't trust them.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some of you guys seem so dead set on the banana pi being poo poo.

For what it's worth, I actually do a lot of proof reading and editing for companies in Asia. Even the most reputable companies put out absolute garbage in English. Hell, the entire government of South Korea can barely string together a coherent English sentence. I live a couple blocks away from a "bus terminer".

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BrainDance posted:

For what it's worth, I actually do a lot of proof reading and editing for companies in Asia. Even the most reputable companies put out absolute garbage in English. Hell, the entire government of South Korea can barely string together a coherent English sentence. I live a couple blocks away from a "bus terminer".

I'm not deadset. I just have seen no proof to think otherwise. I'll let some other fool buy one and get burned.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BrainDance posted:

They didn't pick a good SoC though. The A20 is weak as piss, they could have at least gone with one of the higher and Rockchip SoCs.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't know if its poo poo or not. The site that was first linked gave a strong whiff of poo poo but as it turned out wasn't the official page. If adafruit or sparkfun pick it up, it might get substantially cheaper. Shipping on alibaba was $42 and the board itself was $45. I already own a Pi and a BBB so I am unlikely to get one anyways.

The BBB is feels more capable than the Pi and the polish they put into configuring their Angstrom distrobution makes Raspbian look dull. Does anyone know if the ethernet over USB is done in hardware or if it is all software? I hacked together a circuit to tell when a 24v line goes hot. Just put a few turns of wire around the 24v line and used one of the adcs. The end goal is to send a text when my deaf friend's doorbell rings. She has a strobe now, but if she isn't in her living room she can't see it. The real hurdle is figuring out how to power the BBB next to the doorbell since there isn't an outlet nearby.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keyvin posted:

I don't know if its poo poo or not. The site that was first linked gave a strong whiff of poo poo but as it turned out wasn't the official page. If adafruit or sparkfun pick it up, it might get substantially cheaper. Shipping on alibaba was $42 and the board itself was $45. I already own a Pi and a BBB so I am unlikely to get one anyways.

The BBB is feels more capable than the Pi and the polish they put into configuring their Angstrom distrobution makes Raspbian look dull. Does anyone know if the ethernet over USB is done in hardware or if it is all software? I hacked together a circuit to tell when a 24v line goes hot. Just put a few turns of wire around the 24v line and used one of the adcs. The end goal is to send a text when my deaf friend's doorbell rings. She has a strobe now, but if she isn't in her living room she can't see it. The real hurdle is figuring out how to power the BBB next to the doorbell since there isn't an outlet nearby.

What about one of these things as a power supply

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00828VFT2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Kpsxtb0WXMHH9

I honestly don't know if the solar is enough to power the board while also storing an overnight charge in the battery. If not, you could get a big 15000mAh one and "sneakernet" the power every few days.

That project sounds better suited to an arduino, though, especially if you want to get power draw down.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah Banana Pi looks nice for the media center or home server crowd. For makers/hardware folks ehh it's just a faster Raspberry Pi. I don't like male header pins, female headers like on the BBB or Arduino are much easier for using with a breadboard. No analog to digital converter, like the Raspberry Pi, is also kind of annoying. Also I'm not familiar with the Allwinner SoC, but would guess it doesn't have anything like the PRU's on the BBB which let you do realtime stuff alongside a multitasking OS. If you just use your Pi to run XBMC or serve files then Banana Pi might be interesting.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I was actually just thinking last night that I really need an IR sensor for home theatre Pi.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

ante posted:

I was actually just thinking last night that I really need an IR sensor for home theatre Pi.

Good option here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

eddiewalker posted:

What about one of these things as a power supply

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00828VFT2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Kpsxtb0WXMHH9

I honestly don't know if the solar is enough to power the board while also storing an overnight charge in the battery. If not, you could get a big 15000mAh one and "sneakernet" the power every few days.

That project sounds better suited to an arduino, though, especially if you want to get power draw down.

Just bought this, and going to get it tomorrow. Going to see how well it runs the Pi. The power draw will prolly be too much for it to charge but I will see.