Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

Is the printer actually installed in CUPS? Are the print jobs showing up in the job manager in CUPS? Is CUPS showing any errors for the print jobs if they are showing up in the manager?

The printer and print jobs are show up in CUPS. They just don't go anywhere and the printer never reacts like it's receiving anything. This is with me remoting into CUPS admin page to a Pi that's connected directly to the laser printer via USB.

Obviously, no one can troubleshoot my Pi for me. I was just hoping I missed something obvious or maybe someone had a good tutorial on how to do this. It's possible there's a problem with my install so I may just have to reformat and start all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you ever setup CUPS before? Linus Torvalds famously lambasted the CUPS project of being a prototypical example of bad Linux user design.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let's start here - what kind of printer is it?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the best option for writing img files to a SD card under Windows? The entire experience has been kinda weird. I had to CLI delete a partition just to get started and Win32Diskimager doesn't seem to want to write the Volumio img to it properly.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
Rufus does a lot of things to SD cards.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

calandryll posted:

Yeah I was looking at Volumio. What I'm interested in as well and syncing between rooms. Looks like there are a few hacks with MPD. I'll probably just bite the bullet and snag one and try a bunch of things out.

Volumio supports airplay, and it can do multiroom sync via that route. also check out rune audio. it's like volumio, but a bit more polished and has a nice dedicated app. Didn't work so well with spotify last i tried it, but that feature is beta anyway.

i've got a Raspberry Pi B+ with a hifiberry DAC+ mounted on running Volumio. it's pretty amazing! if you just want to run some small speakers, hifiberry also makes the AMP shield that can run some small speakers directly.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Frobbe posted:

Volumio supports airplay, and it can do multiroom sync via that route. also check out rune audio. it's like volumio, but a bit more polished and has a nice dedicated app. Didn't work so well with spotify last i tried it, but that feature is beta anyway.

i've got a Raspberry Pi B+ with a hifiberry DAC+ mounted on running Volumio. it's pretty amazing! if you just want to run some small speakers, hifiberry also makes the AMP shield that can run some small speakers directly.

Yeah airplay was one of the ones I was looking into. I'm getting my Pi in the mail tomorrow and going to play around to see how I want to run everything. I'll try both Volumio and RuneAudio.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Have you ever setup CUPS before? Linus Torvalds famously lambasted the CUPS project of being a prototypical example of bad Linux user design.

Nope, my Linux experience is confined primarily to Apache on RedHat for work. I've never tried using it in a home environment.

Is there a different method of creating a print server?

BlackMK4 posted:

Let's start here - what kind of printer is it?

Dell 2350d black & white laser printer. I was able to download the PPD file and install it on the Pi so I don't think it's a driver issue.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I assume CUPS has some kind of log file, can you post it for us to read? That's usually step #0.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

calandryll posted:

Yeah I was looking at Volumio. What I'm interested in as well and syncing between rooms. Looks like there are a few hacks with MPD. I'll probably just bite the bullet and snag one and try a bunch of things out.

I've tried a bunch, and I personally like RuneAudio the best

http://www.runeaudio.com/

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I assume CUPS has some kind of log file, can you post it for us to read? That's usually step #0.

CUPS also has a reasonably good web status page.

It's way less poo poo than it used to be, since Apple uses it for the printing system on OSX, and they've put a ton of work into making it work well

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Heh, I tried turning on logging and it tells me there are no errors.

I'm just going to reformat and reinstall. I'll post any errors I get after I've started fresh.

evol262 posted:

CUPS also has a reasonably good web status page.

It's way less poo poo than it used to be, since Apple uses it for the printing system on OSX, and they've put a ton of work into making it work well

Ok, I was wondering why it had Apple's logo on the admin page.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heh, I tried turning on logging and it tells me there are no errors.

I'm just going to reformat and reinstall. I'll post any errors I get after I've started fresh.
Don't look for errors. Look for poo poo stuck in the queue. Change the log level to "debug", restart cups, and go watch the logs while you try to print.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ok, I was wondering why it had Apple's logo on the admin page.

WTF posted:

CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for OS X® and other UNIX®-like operating systems.
I mean, this is laughably wrong.

It's true in the sense that Apple is currently maintaining it, so they have "developed it". It's like Orwellian doublespeak, though. It was absolutely not "developed by Apple" except in the sense that they hired the lead developer halfway through the project lifecycle (2007 or 2008, where CUPS was started in 1999 or something) and paid for exceptions so they could like against Core Printing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I formatted the SD card and put the latest version of Rasbian on there. I then installed CUPS and it rewarded me with a test sheet. And from there it's kind of sucked.

Here is my admin page:

Here is a second test sheet I was trying to print:

That test sheet took about 3 minutes to print. I'm signed into CUPS remotely, but the printer is hooked up via USB to the Pi.

Thinking maybe I just had a faulty piece of hardware, I took out the SDcard and stuck it in the Pi 2 that I was trying to get Windows 10 running on. That booted up and honestly I think it's running a little better. I sent a print job and it left my laptop and hit the Pi queue pretty quickly. Once they get to the Pi...eh.

Six minutes and nothing's printed yet.

I stopped that job, put on a different USB cable (hey, it might help), and sent another print job. At least it looks like I'm communicating with CUPS on the network. When I canceled the print job on the Pi it immediately updated my OS X print queue. So the problem appears to be between CUPS and the printer.

EDIT: and after 11 minutes it finally printed. Duplex and everything. Yay...I guess?

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 20, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Krispy Kareem posted:

I formatted the SD card and put the latest version of Rasbian on there. I then installed CUPS and it rewarded me with a test sheet. And from there it's kind of sucked.

Here is my admin page:

Here is a second test sheet I was trying to print:

That test sheet took about 3 minutes to print. I'm signed into CUPS remotely, but the printer is hooked up via USB to the Pi.

Thinking maybe I just had a faulty piece of hardware, I took out the SDcard and stuck it in the Pi 2 that I was trying to get Windows 10 running on. That booted up and honestly I think it's running a little better. I sent a print job and it left my laptop and hit the Pi queue pretty quickly. Once they get to the Pi...eh.

Six minutes and nothing's printed yet.

I stopped that job, put on a different USB cable (hey, it might help), and sent another print job. At least it looks like I'm communicating with CUPS on the network. When I canceled the print job on the Pi it immediately updated my OS X print queue. So the problem appears to be between CUPS and the printer.

It's also very possibly just the terrible CPU in the pi chugging along trying to convert it to whatever format the PPD says the printer expects it to be. Have you tried checking "top" when this is happening?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

It's also very possibly just the terrible CPU in the pi chugging along trying to convert it to whatever format the PPD says the printer expects it to be. Have you tried checking "top" when this is happening?

:sigh:

99.9% going to lp.

This is disappointing. You'd think a quad-core 800mhz CPU could handle a test page.

At least now I know it's technically 'working'. Maybe I can figure out a way to speed up the process, since even a lovely CPU shouldn't take this long to print.

EDIT: Aaaaaand, by default CUPS sets quality to 1200dpi. When I dialed that down to 600dpi print times improved by a magnitude of 10. It's still kind of slow, but not as bad as before.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 20, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Krispy Kareem posted:

:sigh:

99.9% going to lp.

This is disappointing. You'd think a quad-core 800mhz CPU could handle a test page.

At least now I know it's technically 'working'. Maybe I can figure out a way to speed up the process, since even a lovely CPU shouldn't take this long to print.

It's very likely not parallelized at all, so it's just using one core.

But check the CUPS debug logs to see if anything is happening. Maybe try stracing the process to see if it's doing anything. And very likely, file a bug. The pis have iffy build quality, and the USB controller may be awful with a super hacky driver. But let the ARM maintainer figure it out.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I actually got to put one of my Raspberry Pi units "into production" at work. I wanted to get some temperature readings from a room and we have no available probes. I have a Pi in there now with a WiFi adapter and a DHT22 (temp + humidity) probe connected.

It spits out an XML file every minute with the temperature and serves it via nginx to our logging server over WiFi.

The software I write is garbage, but it seems to work.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Xenomorph posted:

I actually got to put one of my Raspberry Pi units "into production" at work. I wanted to get some temperature readings from a room and we have no available probes. I have a Pi in there now with a WiFi adapter and a DHT22 (temp + humidity) probe connected.

It spits out an XML file every minute with the temperature and serves it via nginx to our logging server over WiFi.

The software I write is garbage, but it seems to work.

Good work!

You may be interested in a cheaper (albeit non-Pi) way of doing that:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-cost-WIFI-temperature-data-logger-based-on-ESP/

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I worked on a project that deployed ~50, integrated with older LED signage to control that & talk back to a centralized system. Everything's outside in Florida, high temps & humidity.

It's been six months, zero hardware failures or weirdness with the ethernet adapter randomly crapping out until a power cycle (some people have reported this, I haven't observed it with plenty of opportunity).

Next round for this program is replacing the old LED displays with newer outdoor HD LCDs, I'll be looking at re-writing my signage application on W10 IoT as a universal app expecting the rpis to run it all.

So, I think it's pretty reasonable to use them long-term without major headaches. I'm looking forward to opportunities for better device management & patch management that W10 seems like it might bring.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 21, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Glad you got it working, but just for the future... this is not how you make stuff work in linux. In windows, yes, reinstalling fixes stuff, but generally speaking it doesn't help in linux.

I advocate a couple rules for linux newbs trying to make stuff work:
1 - always make a backup
2 - always make a backup

In this case, what you'd be backing up is the cups config file. That way you can edit and configure stuff with impunity. If you feel that you broke it, just replace the config with the backed-up original and try again.

/neckbeard rant

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Glad you got it working, but just for the future... this is not how you make stuff work in linux. In windows, yes, reinstalling fixes stuff, but generally speaking it doesn't help in linux.

I advocate a couple rules for linux newbs trying to make stuff work:
1 - always make a backup
2 - always make a backup

In this case, what you'd be backing up is the cups config file. That way you can edit and configure stuff with impunity. If you feel that you broke it, just replace the config with the backed-up original and try again.

/neckbeard rant

Well if you break the config trying things then you need to reset it, that's the same no matter what your OS.

And reinstalling is like restoring a backup, but easier.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

Well if you break the config trying things then you need to reset it, that's the same no matter what your OS.

And reinstalling is like restoring a backup, but easier.
The second area where linux generally differs from windows is that resetting rarely, if ever, helps things. If you think a service is misbehaving, you restart that specific service, rather than rebooting.

When I say "make a backup of a config file" I mean:

cp cups.conf cups.conf.back

To go back to your original config:

cp cups.conf.back cups.conf

And then restart cups.

That whole process takes seconds and is way faster than reformatting and reinstalling.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The second area where linux generally differs from windows is that resetting rarely, if ever, helps things. If you think a service is misbehaving, you restart that specific service, rather than rebooting.

And then restart cups.

That whole process takes seconds and is way faster than reformatting and reinstalling.

It might have helped in my case because I don't think all of the CUPS packages were installed the first time. I vaguely remember getting an error on part of it, although I don't know whether it would have even run unless everything was installed. The second time I tried it I did a slightly better job of reading directions and ran an 'update all' after I got error messages and. CUPS then installed the rest of its packages.

I did manage to screw something else up though. I needed to modify the smb.conf file to try and install a raw printer and was very careful in creating a smb2.conf file so as not to lose my original preferences. And then I deleted smb2 when I wanted to delete smb.

Is there a way to bring back the default smb.conf file without, um...reinstalling everything?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Krispy Kareem posted:

It might have helped in my case because I don't think all of the CUPS packages were installed the first time. I vaguely remember getting an error on part of it, although I don't know whether it would have even run unless everything was installed. The second time I tried it I did a slightly better job of reading directions and ran an 'update all' after I got error messages and. CUPS then installed the rest of its packages.

I did manage to screw something else up though. I needed to modify the smb.conf file to try and install a raw printer and was very careful in creating a smb2.conf file so as not to lose my original preferences. And then I deleted smb2 when I wanted to delete smb.

Is there a way to bring back the default smb.conf file without, um...reinstalling everything?

extundelete

Or if you literally want the default, they probably packaged this

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You can usually google for "<distro> default smb.conf" or something like that if you absolutely must. Much easier to just make a backup first before you start hacking it up

^ I've never tried extundelete before. I will have to give that a go some time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Got Volumio up and running and looking good. Dear God does the headphone jack on the Pi suck, I'll be snagging a DAC very soon. Has anyone played around with using Google Cast on the Pi? I'd like to send my podcasts from my phone to play. BubbleUPNP can do it with Pocket Casts but starts from the beginning. Pocket Casts has Google Cast builtin and would love to use that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

calandryll posted:

Got Volumio up and running and looking good. Dear God does the headphone jack on the Pi suck, I'll be snagging a DAC very soon. Has anyone played around with using Google Cast on the Pi? I'd like to send my podcasts from my phone to play. BubbleUPNP can do it with Pocket Casts but starts from the beginning. Pocket Casts has Google Cast builtin and would love to use that.

They make DAC addon shields that that run over the GPIO bus. Check out the HiFiBerry and the Wolfson audio board.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

And then restart cups.

By resetting I meant the install, not the power.

If it's a single file then yes making a copy is simple if you manage to think of it ahead of time. If it's spread out, or involves package management, sometimes it's easier to say "gently caress it". Linux tends to be pretty easy to reinstall.

The best option is a filesystem that supports snapshots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dylan16807 posted:

If it's a single file then yes making a copy is simple if you manage to think of it ahead of time. If it's spread out, or involves package management, sometimes it's easier to say "gently caress it". Linux tends to be pretty easy to reinstall.

Yeah that's one thing that's great about Linux. There's no magic, if you copy the config files to a new machine it should drop right in and work (assuming the versions are the same, etc).

For saving your package management config, I've always thought about setting up a cronjob on a script that makes apt dump a list of the installed packages (no dependencies) to a text file, which you back up by whatever means. You could version control it, even, just have the script automatically git add the file and commit+push. If you need to reinstall you should be able to slice the file up and pass it as arguments to apt-get install. Assuming that you're on the same dist version and everything, that plus the config file backups should instantly reconstitute a working system. Or at least the parts that the package manager knows about.

quote:

The best option is a filesystem that supports snapshots.

The obvious suggestion there is ZFS. Linux has historically not had very good support for ZFS and I'd imagine that Raspberry Pi is probably an even more exotic use-case. If you're feeling frisky maybe look at FreeBSD, BSDs have better ZFS support and FreeBSD has an RPi build. It's a lot less plug-and-play than an Ubuntu flavor, though.

As for more practical solutions that don't involve exotic software configurations, all the cool kids are doing Dotfiles for their account configs. You set up a Git version-control repo in your home directory, check all your settings files in, push them to Bitbucket or Github, and then you can instantly spin up a customized account anywhere you want just by doing a checkout.

For systems config files, the two solutions I'd tend to suggest would be rsync and git-annex.

rsync is the gold-standard backup and file-copy application, you could just set a cronjob to push a copy of your /etc/ and /home/ folders to your fileserver every night. Doesn't cover the full version-control use case but it's dirt simple. Just make sure you don't hose your config right before the backup starts. You can avoid copying big files with the --size-limit argument, or you can get real fancy by using find to select files and piping the results to parallel to slice the lines into source file arguments for rsync.

If you want to pull out the big guns then git-annex is the way to go. It's basically a distributed journalled virtual filesystem that uses a Git version control repo as a file table. You mount real directories into the virtual filesystem and it moves data around using rsync. It's capable of doing stuff like automatically pushing to remote machines to maintain N-copy redundancy for protection against disk crashes. And because it uses hashing for file versioning, file integrity assurance is baked in. If a copy goes bad, it can automatically push a clean copy to somewhere else to maintain the specified redundancy.

You can do crazy poo poo with git-annex. Of course people use it like a dropbox clone, but that's pretty mundane. Git annex can work with offline sources, so you can use it to do things like set up a media library that spans multiple Blueray discs with a single filesystem. When you try to load a particular file it'll tell you what sources it needs to bring online, which translates to "put in either disk 21 or disk 32". Or you can automatically transfer files between machines using a USB stick as a transfer mechanism. It will write the files to a thumbdrive, then commit and push the fact that the files are on the thumbdrive. When you plug in the thumbdrive the other machine will see the source come online, copy the files off, delete them from the thumbdrive, and commit the fact that the files have arrived. If you can think of a use-case or a feature someone has probably already done it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 22, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Paul MaudDib posted:

They make DAC addon shields that that run over the GPIO bus. Check out the HiFiBerry and the Wolfson audio board.

With pulseaudio can't you just route the audio via a daemon to some other device like your portable or your workstation?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

You want etckeeper

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I probably should buy a stand-alone print server considering the time this has taken, but then I wouldn't get to learn all this new stuff. :sigh:

I got everything working again but it's still really slow though, as CUPS is only using 1 of the 4 cores. So I'm trying to set up a RAW printer to see if that speeds things along. I've got the printer set up in CUPS, but I can't figure out the correct IPP address for my laptop's new printer entry.

If I run lpinfo -v |grep usb: from the Pi I get this:

direct usb://Dell/2350d%20Laser%20Printer?serial=7221TNG

And if I go to https://10.0.1.27:631/printers/RAW_PRINTER_Dell_2350d I can see the printer via a web browser.

But no combination of those addresses works here:

It's probably a syntax thing. I've never set up an IPP printer before and it can't seem to communicate with whatever I'm entering.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Couple dumb questions, IIRC there's a "share printer" option in CUPS. You checked that box, right? Have you tried connecting to the printer with user:password@address, where user has permission to touch the printer (can't remember if CUPS has its own user manager or whether there's a group or it's a free for all).

I couldn't make CUPS work with the Rpi myself, because there were no ARM drivers for my printer and I couldn't make any of the standard printer profiles work properly. :sigh: I ended up giving in and upgrading to a wireless laser multifunction for like $120, which was a fantastic decision. It's a strong independent model who don't need no print server! :nyd:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Just getting a networked printer is always the easiest answer in 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Couple dumb questions, IIRC there's a "share printer" option in CUPS. You checked that box, right? Have you tried connecting to the printer with user:password@address, where user has permission to touch the printer (can't remember if CUPS has its own user manager or whether there's a group or it's a free for all).

I couldn't make CUPS work with the Rpi myself, because there were no ARM drivers for my printer and I couldn't make any of the standard printer profiles work properly. :sigh: I ended up giving in and upgrading to a wireless laser multifunction for like $120, which was a fantastic decision. It's a strong independent model who don't need no print server! :nyd:

Shared printer is selected and it works as a network printer now. I'm just trying to have the client run all the processing and let the Pi just forward data.

I haven't tried including the username or password in the URL though. I didn't know that was an option.

As for why I just don't buy a networked printer, I actually have one, but it's a color printer. This one is black&white (cheaper to print) and can duplex. This is the printer I'd like everyone to use unless they absolutely need color.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krispy Kareem posted:

As for why I just don't buy a networked printer, I actually have one, but it's a color printer. This one is black&white (cheaper to print) and can duplex. This is the printer I'd like everyone to use unless they absolutely need color.

They make B+W network printers too. Assuming you don't need the version of this with the scanner built in, these are fantastic little printers. If you watch you can find both of those at least 25% cheaper, I got my MFCL2700DW (printer+scanner+copier version) for $130 a couple months ago. What sold me on this one is there's Linux drivers (x86, not ARM) for the network scanner functionality, so I can wirelessly scan right onto a fileshare on my network. It even shows up as a scan destination in the interface. Brother makes a fantastic cheapie laser printer and I love their driver support. They actually provide driver-only packages - the Win7 universal driver weighs in at a svelte 7.13 MB. Also their x86 Linux drivers are fantastic too, plug and play. The HP Linux driver (HPLIP) just about gave me an aneurism with connectivity issues, CPU usage, etc. I probably spent an hour a week trying to make it behave. gently caress HP forever.

Anyway, I realize you want to make what you have work, just commiserating and bragging. I regard that as money extremely well spent to solve that problem.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 23, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Not having much luck with Volumio and getting Spotify to work on it. It keeps kicking up an error in /var/log/spopd.log that my username/password is incorrect. So manually verifying it in /etc/spopd.conf confirms that it is indeed correct. :confused: Considering that I literally do not possess a Mp3 collection any longer the application is utterly useless otherwise.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Flattened the entire thing by formatting the sd card and rewriting it from scratch and did the exact same steps and now it works. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone have an experience with IR remotes for XBMC/Kodi? Any suggestions for receiver or remotes? Or are things like yatse for android still the best way to go.