Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

ante posted:

It looks like the PicoPSU is more expensive and has more bulky connectors than what you actually need.

I'd probably pick up an old 19v laptop power supply, and a bunch of Chinese DC-DC adjustable step-down modules. You can get them for ~$2 each, and then you can add your own connector. Should end up being about the same size and power capabilities.

I actually am using a 19v laptop power supply, and I already have the PicoPSU to muck about with. I hadn't considered stepping the voltage down myself though, it's not something I've ever tried so it hadn't occurred to me. Might look into that, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Hadlock posted:

Sorry to derail your SD Card beatdown ElCondemn, but I just wired up my Pi-based robot for the first time :dance:

Got the Pi (it's the A+ model, smaller, uses about half the power of the B+) wired in to the motor controller which takes in 6-16v and provides raw power output to two motors, in addition to a regulated 5v output. Wire the 5v output directly in to the 5v rail on the GPIO and everything seems to work really well. It's powered by a pair of 3.7v laptop batteries which when they discharge down to about 2.8v the 5v rail on the motor controller cuts out and the Pi sort of auto-shuts down. You can't leave it totally unattended as the motor controller would eventually suck the batteries dry below 2.6v but it's good enough for now and they're $1 ebay 18650s anyways.

The motor controller uses PWM so I am going to have to cannibalize my PWM controller from another project, but I found more 16 channel PWM controllers for $4.80 shipped on ebay, so I have two more on the way (I have two chassis, the idea is to have two working robots at some point). Chassis is based on the Shrimpbot 1.6 chassis.

I have an 18v -> 7.4v solar charging solution to keep the batteries topped off when not in use ready to go, but i'm not quite ready to wire everything in permanently yet.

Were there any resources (e.g. tutorials etc) which you found particularly useful while doing this? I'd like to do a similar project, but there are so many tutorials/guide etc. of varying quality it's tough to say which are best as a beginner.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The reason why most tutorials are crap is largely due to the fact that people who are capable of this kind of stuff have zero interpersonal skills, which is why Adafruit is so fantastic, they have excellent documentation for all their stuff. Also, Julian Ilett on Youtube is really good at describing these kinds of things in detail. I can't stand "TheRaspberryPiGuy" on youtube.

I got one of these and hooked it up to an arduino clone
Car - http://www.dxsoul.com/product/smart-robot-car-chassis-kit-for-arduino-transparent-yellow-901152984
Arduino - http://www.dxsoul.com/product/development-board-w-data-cable-for-arduino-uno-r3-deep-blue-cable-52cm-901312887

But I can't wrap my head around tinkering with something that ugly (normally I don't care about aesthetics, note my ugly Thinkpad laptop under mine) but I just couldn't get engaged with that thing. If you can get over how fugly it is, that's a good start so you don't have to gently caress around with linux etc and just get down to making it go back and forth, etc. Once you have a strong foundation of "don't short out your control board (RIP my $60 beaglebone black control board)" then it's safe to moving on to something Linux based.

If you want to ignore that advice, what's shown in the photos is a pair of 18650 batteries (with single cell battery holders) wired in series to make ~7.5v which I feed in to a really inefficient (65%?) L298N H bridge motor controller, and I get 5v out from that to power my Pi and PWM board (the A+ draws about 180mA which won't overheat the regulator, I've found, the B+ is probably too much for extended use), wired direct in to the 5v and GND GPIO pins. The PWM board talks to the L298N to make the wheels spin in the correct direction(s).

Technically the Pi has ONE hardware PWM, but obviously you need two if you're going to drive two motors. Adafruit makes an excellent 16 channel PWM servo board which can be pressed in to service, for about $15, you can find chinese clones for anywhere from $25 all the way down to $4.90 shipped. Supposedly you can use "WiringPi" to do software PWM but I haven't played around with it yet.

This guy suggests pulsing the enable pins using the PWM @ 200hz and then changing the duty cycle between ~30 and 100%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9hg4-IdovQ

parts list:
motor controller $9 - http://www.dxsoul.com/product/l298n-dual-h-bridge-dc-stepper-motor-driver-controller-for-arduino-robot-car-901149107
pwm controller $20 - http://www.dxsoul.com/product/16-channel-servo-motor-controller-pwm-servo-driver-board-for-arduino-robot-diy-blue-901365592
my chassis on ponoko $50 for two - http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/shrimpbot-v1-6-ponokoready-12109
battery holder $3 - http://www.dxsoul.com/product/diy-2-slot-series-18650-battery-holder-w-4-leads-black-901359556

Or you can just buy this kit for $90 which has all the parts, including an arduino controller, batteries and battery charger:
http://www.dx.com/p/diy-intelligent-tortoise-smart-wheel-robot-module-173668

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 24, 2015

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Anybody familiar with MotionPie? I set it up for Wifi and it appears to be broadcasting properly, but I can only access the GUI running on the Pi through a computer wired into the home router. I can't seem to access it from a wifi-connected laptop and it is even preventing me from accessing my router's control panel through said laptop. Any ideas? Google isn't helping.

Edit: SSH works fine.

Edit2: It apparently works on IE but not Firefox.

durtan fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 27, 2015

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Has anyone built a 16-bit-and-under / mame Pi-based machine? Here's my dilemma - I always wanted an emulator machine but forewent the idea of building an HTPC... I got a Roku 3 for handling media one day just to try it out, and I haven't looked back. But I'd still *love* to have some kind of machine that I could use to play SNES/Genesis + earlier games on my TV with. Does the Raspberry Pi 2 stack up to whatever else is out there? And if so, what would a machine build involve? Are there any specs for what's required in a Pi case? I'm entirely new to the whole platform but always love a good project/challenge!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Guitarchitect posted:

Has anyone built a 16-bit-and-under / mame Pi-based machine? Here's my dilemma - I always wanted an emulator machine but forewent the idea of building an HTPC... I got a Roku 3 for handling media one day just to try it out, and I haven't looked back. But I'd still *love* to have some kind of machine that I could use to play SNES/Genesis + earlier games on my TV with. Does the Raspberry Pi 2 stack up to whatever else is out there? And if so, what would a machine build involve? Are there any specs for what's required in a Pi case? I'm entirely new to the whole platform but always love a good project/challenge!

RetroPie

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Guitarchitect posted:

Pi2 can play everything pre-16 bit with ease. It'll supposedly even do N64 and PlayStation with some success.

Bare minimum setup is a bare Pi2, a power supply, a HDMI cable, a microsd card, keyboard, and a USB controller. There are a lot of SNES and Genesis USB controllers cheap. You don't have to have a case if you don't want one, but they're generally a good idea.

This is the distro you want to put on your microsd card: http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/

And that's literally all there is to it. Load your roms and go to town.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Pi2 can play everything pre-16 bit with ease. It'll supposedly even do N64 and PlayStation with some success.

Bare minimum setup is a bare Pi2, a power supply, a HDMI cable, a microsd card, keyboard, and a USB controller. There are a lot of SNES and Genesis USB controllers cheap. You don't have to have a case if you don't want one, but they're generally a good idea.

This is the distro you want to put on your microsd card: http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/

this is great and quite helpful - thanks! I have a little woodworking shop so I have half a mind to build a little case. I don't suppose there are guidelines anywhere for how it needs to be vented?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I just got RetroPie working with my old Xbox 360 wireless controllers. Works like a charm with no wires across my living room.

Here's the video and instructions I went with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMZFYzM9xc

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller

The video references these instructions, so follow the video and you're all set up.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just an extra, I have a pi B+ running retropie and it works nicely with snes/genesis and playstation games.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone had any trouble with flash drives on the original Pi B? I decided to finally put mine to use and put a 32GB one of these in it, just as a basic fileserver. It came as FAT32 and I can't for the life of me get the Pi to format it as ext4, or even ext2 - it just stalls on creating inodes/journal, and when I stop it the device has hopped from sda1 to sdb1. I formatted it on my PC using a linux live CD, which finishes fine, but plugging it into the pi ends up with the device hopping all the way from sda1 to sdz1, so if it ever does mount it's only for a moment

Is this a power issue? I'm just using a 5V 1A charger, trying to keep the profile down, so is there any way to see what's going on in there? It mounts and writes fine as FAT32 or exFAT, but that seems to involve a bunch of permissions headaches and the journaling would be nice. I guess I could try NTFS but everyone says the performance is real bad?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

baka kaba posted:

Anyone had any trouble with flash drives on the original Pi B? I decided to finally put mine to use and put a 32GB one of these in it, just as a basic fileserver. It came as FAT32 and I can't for the life of me get the Pi to format it as ext4, or even ext2 - it just stalls on creating inodes/journal, and when I stop it the device has hopped from sda1 to sdb1. I formatted it on my PC using a linux live CD, which finishes fine, but plugging it into the pi ends up with the device hopping all the way from sda1 to sdz1, so if it ever does mount it's only for a moment

Is this a power issue? I'm just using a 5V 1A charger, trying to keep the profile down, so is there any way to see what's going on in there? It mounts and writes fine as FAT32 or exFAT, but that seems to involve a bunch of permissions headaches and the journaling would be nice. I guess I could try NTFS but everyone says the performance is real bad?

I used an USB stick in my original B until I decided to swap it for a spinning disk, and I do not remember having any problem at all. I plugged the stick directly into one of the Pi USB connectors (without anything else there, not even a keyboard/mouse) and it worked until I did the change I just mentioned.

The symptoms you describe point to a power problem. Try to use a decent power supply (the basic chargers are usually awful) and see it it fixes the issue.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

baka kaba posted:

, so if it ever does mount it's only for a moment

Is this a power issue?

Yes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well drat. I didn't think a flash drive would be a big drain, and it's weird that it mounts fine under exFAT with its weirdo drivers. I'll see if I can find a decent supply I guess

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Could you try sticking a large 5v capacitor between the USB stick and Pi? My Edimax WiFi dongle has a momentary current spike shortly after initialization that causes brownouts to the board if run from a very weak power supply, but if I take it off of mains power after the spike it will happily plug along.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Which Kodi distribution can I use with an XBOX 360 Controller, and also install console emulator plugins?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Well drat. I didn't think a flash drive would be a big drain, and it's weird that it mounts fine under exFAT with its weirdo drivers. I'll see if I can find a decent supply I guess

It's more likely that your power supply is lying about it actually being 1000mA than your drive being a big drain. The RPI foundation recommends 1800-2000mA to properly power the board and USB ports.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 7, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've been running openelec ony my Raspberry for a month now, and really like it. But how about using it as a desktop system? Does stuff like "multiple tabs with multimedia" running make it laggy when using Raspbian or Raspex?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dawn Robotics has a (I'm calling it) R2-D2 kit for about $100 USD that leverages an arduino and the Raspberry Pi B+ and Pi camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS06z4XCQ7U

http://www.dawnrobotics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-camera-robot-chassis-bundle/

They also have a free copy of their SD card available if you already have the parts. I guess the big selling point is that they have a smartphone app with a live feed of the camera and thumb control for each motor independently

And a tutorial here

http://blog.dawnrobotics.co.uk/2014/01/using-dagu-mini-driver-build-raspberry-pi-camera-robot/

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So, I've got a project in mind (automated brewery/mashing system), where I aim to take a few temp readings, drive some pumps, and maybe switch on or off a heating element. I'm planning on using a raspberry pi 2 talking to an arduino over serial to control the whole mess, so I can connect to the Pi over wifi and then have the Arduino for A2D readings and the actual switching parts. Are there any other alternatives that so much better they're worth considering? I already have an arduino floating around, and I wouldn't mind having a pi to play around with for shits and giggles (though if there's a much better competitor I may just as well get that)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Nanpa posted:

So, I've got a project in mind (automated brewery/mashing system), where I aim to take a few temp readings, drive some pumps, and maybe switch on or off a heating element. I'm planning on using a raspberry pi 2 talking to an arduino over serial to control the whole mess, so I can connect to the Pi over wifi and then have the Arduino for A2D readings and the actual switching parts. Are there any other alternatives that so much better they're worth considering? I already have an arduino floating around, and I wouldn't mind having a pi to play around with for shits and giggles (though if there's a much better competitor I may just as well get that)

You could consider the ESP8266 - a very cheap microcontroller with wifi/GPIO built-in running Arduino code or NodeMCU.

Hardware choices:
http://l0l.org.uk/2014/12/esp8266-modules-hardware-guide-gotta-catch-em-all/

NodeMCU:
https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware

Arduino 8266
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Pi + Arduino sounds like a good combination for automating brewing. Some temperature sensors (like the 1-wire sensors) are tricky to read from a Pi that runs a non-realtime OS, but from an Arduino they can be read no problem.

The ESP8266 is pretty cool and a good way to get an Arduino project on the internet. However be warned the ESP8266 Arduino stuff is still pretty immature and growing fast--expect bugs and small issues. I'm also not sure the ESP8266 supports a lot of security protocols--I'm pretty sure it can do SSL but not sure it can do TLS or other more general auth. A Pi might be a little nicer in that regard since you could connect it to a VPN, SSH into it, etc. very easily (it's just Linux).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I want to use a Pi to host small files here and there. Password protected, able to upload/download from a web interface, mobile-friendly, that sort of thing. Like, let's say I'm at my mom's house and want to summon a picture of my kid for her to see on my phone, or play an MP3 that doesn't happen to be on my current machine/phone. Or a friend wants to upload a file to me and not send it through email.

• HTTP web interface
  • requires authentication
  • supports upload/download
  • need not have many bells and whistles
  • should be able to mount a usb flash drive
  • very easy to install/configure/remove
  • light on the ol' resources

Something like HFS for Windows (http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/).

I'm not super familiar with Linux, but I managed to install a SmallMachines forum successfully from carefully following a couple tutorials, so I'm not a complete dunce. That's my technical level: not an idiot, mostly.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 23, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

doctorfrog posted:

I want to use a Pi to host small files here and there. Password protected, able to upload/download from a web interface, mobile-friendly, that sort of thing. Like, let's say I'm at my mom's house and want to summon a picture of my kid for her to see on my phone, or play an MP3 that doesn't happen to be on my current machine/phone. Or a friend wants to upload a file to me and not send it through email.

How about Seafile? It's more or less a self-hosted Dropbox server, and I think it's generally agreed to be one of the lighter-weight implementations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google "owncloud raspberry pi" and setup an annon account

http://www.element14.com/community/...our-own-dropbox

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

Pi + Arduino sounds like a good combination for automating brewing. Some temperature sensors (like the 1-wire sensors) are tricky to read from a Pi that runs a non-realtime OS, but from an Arduino they can be read no problem.

The ESP8266 is pretty cool and a good way to get an Arduino project on the internet. However be warned the ESP8266 Arduino stuff is still pretty immature and growing fast--expect bugs and small issues. I'm also not sure the ESP8266 supports a lot of security protocols--I'm pretty sure it can do SSL but not sure it can do TLS or other more general auth. A Pi might be a little nicer in that regard since you could connect it to a VPN, SSH into it, etc. very easily (it's just Linux).

1-wire sensors can be easily communicated with a UART with the right settings. Dallas/Maxim has a document on that topic, and the 1-wire Viewer demo application supports it too.

http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/214

Edit: I'm not sure if the RPi's UART supports inverted output but if it does you can cut a resistor and transistor from the circuit. BJTs can also be used in place of the MOSFETs if you add a resistor between the TXD pin and the base of the first transistor

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 23, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

How about Seafile? It's more or less a self-hosted Dropbox server, and I think it's generally agreed to be one of the lighter-weight implementations.

Thanks both, looking into these.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Jamsta posted:

You could consider the ESP8266 - a very cheap microcontroller with wifi/GPIO built-in running Arduino code or NodeMCU.

Hardware choices:
http://l0l.org.uk/2014/12/esp8266-modules-hardware-guide-gotta-catch-em-all/

NodeMCU:
https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware

Arduino 8266
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

mod sassinator posted:

Great info, thanks. I was hoping to try and put more of the controlling/stats logging on at the brewing end, and then log into the controller over wifi, so I don't think the ESP8266 is quite going to cut it. But it actually looks pretty cool, so I'll be definitely picking on of those up as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would go with Seafile over Owncloud simply because Seafile isn't written in a garbage language like PHP (as Owncloud is). Seafile is, unsuprisingly, written in Sea C and also some Python

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

I would go with Seafile over Owncloud simply because Seafile isn't written in a garbage language like PHP (as Owncloud is). Seafile is, unsuprisingly, written in Sea C and also some Python

It seems like a bit of overkill for some web-based file hosting, but I was kinda interested in building a personal cloud server, so what the heck. I'll be using this: https://draptik.github.io/blog/2014/04/21/installing-seafile-on-raspberry-pi/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Does anyone have a recommended dirt-cheap eBay case shipped from China for RP B? There's a bunch of $3 shipped ones, but I'd love an actual positive review of one. Nothing fancy needed, it's just going to live on my desk.

I was in an area with a Microcenter last week so I picked up a Pi2 even though I hadn't really been using my model B much at all. It's a pretty significant upgrade and finally inspired me to get it up and running on the network with xrdp running so I can remote into it from my laptop.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

if they're $3 shipped why don't you just order a few and pick the best?

Its $3

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

$4 more will get one with good reviews from Amazon. Or you can look for one with good reviews on Amazon and see if it's on Ebay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a repository of Raspberry Pi images somewhere? Like, i would like to download a pre-made image of a SAMBA 4 server with Active Directory already pre-configured out of the box. The plan would be to have one AD server running on a VM as primary, with the Pi acting as my physical backup.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Hadlock posted:

Is there a repository of Raspberry Pi images somewhere? Like, i would like to download a pre-made image of a SAMBA 4 server with Active Directory already pre-configured out of the box. The plan would be to have one AD server running on a VM as primary, with the Pi acting as my physical backup.

Check out Zentyal. Tons of features and all of the management is web based. Performance was ok on a 1.4 ghz atom

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Roargasm posted:

Check out Zentyal. Tons of features and all of the management is web based. Performance was ok on a 1.4 ghz atom

Zentyal's neat, but not aware of Pi ARM support for it though?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Jamsta posted:

Zentyal's neat, but not aware of Pi ARM support for it though?

drat you're right :(

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Hadlock posted:

Owncloud ran painfully slow when I tried installing it before, but that was with a php server, not nginx. Can anyone vouch for this tutorial, particularly on a B+? Because I liked ownCloud, it just ran extremely slow and took way more effort than the return I received from it. Otherwise, I'm willing to give it a shot and report back.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That link was the first or second google search result I came across, I do not vouch for it.

Seafile doesn't run on a garbage language and is probably quite a bit faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I'll give Seafile a shot. Would you say transfer speeds are good? I'm currently using Bittorrent Sync for a backup/sync server and it does fairly well. ownCloud was maxing out at 3kb/sec.