Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I've got a laptop with a dead mobo but everything else is fine (display, keyboard, trackpad). Any pointers on how to add the pi in to make a pi laptop? There is a kit you can get on eBay to get the display connected, but the keyboard connector might be a bridge too far! Anyone here had any luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

evol262 posted:

The keyboards are almost always USB (on a ribbon cable, of course), but even if it's old and PS/2, you can wire it to a converter. Ditto for the trackpad. The LVDS ribbon will be your biggest hurdle, along with backlight control, etc.

Oh really? That's actually pretty good news then!

This is the kit I'm looking at for the display connection, which seems to cover off on most of the issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-NT68676-2...=item1c33990645

Still looks like it will be a painful process...

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I have an annoying problem. Piface CAD that I've turned into an internet radio using some instructions I've found online. Works great! I've written a listen script in python which also works great for turning the radio (really just the display) on. But when I turn the radio on, it takes a number if button clicks on the CAD before anything registers such as changing the channel. 'Turning the radio on' script uses the same button for 'turning the radio off', but they're two different scripts. Any thoughts on why this would happen?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Anyone had any luck installing ffmpeg on raspbian with support for converting .avi to .m4v? I have a heap of .avi on a mount on a rpi (which I can't disconnect as it's also my stereo receiver...) which took forever to transfer. I don't want to disconnect the drive as I have a feeling it will muck iTunes' super sensitive filing up and my wife will kill me if that happens. Are there any alternatives??

Edit: I'm doing this all through the cli but if there's a gui option I'm all ears! I can make that happen.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Thanks for the replies. You confirmed a suspicion I had there, that the thing wouldn't be capable of transcoding anyway! I'll just transfer a file st a time back to my laptop and do it there. It'll be a lot quicker on that.

FYI what I've done with the pi is add the Wolfson audio card to it for better sound quality, passed the tv out straight to it then installed shairport and minidlna so pretty much any device connected to the network can stream music through it to the stereo. Haven't had any issues with it since I put it in. If anybody uses the Wolfson audio card be aware that apt-get upgrade doesn't contain the Wolfson package and will cause it to stop working. Guess how I found out! I've also mounted a 2tb hard disk to it to work as the media server.

My next project is a dedicated internet radio player with a piface control and display. It's almost ready to go I just need to install the network streaming software so it doesn't need the cables.

I've learned a whole bunch about Linux too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Another thing to look at - AVI is a container (file format), not a video codec. If the video stream inside the AVI uses an MPEG4-standard codec - i.e. DIVX, XVID, H264 - then you might also be able to stick the stream into the MP4 container without re-encoding. This will be much faster and you won't get quality loss from transcoding. First thing I happened on with a quick Google search, says it has a Linux version: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MP4Box

Rather than going down the conversion route I think I'll try this first. Want aware of this!